PDA

View Full Version : Travel with AP in Europe

TO BE OR NO TO BE
01-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Hello:

I was wondering if someone have experienced - travelling with AP in Europe and returning back to USA. I may have to travel in next couple of months (or later this year) to a few places in Eurpoe - Zurich / Geneva / Frankfurt / Paris etc. I don't have H-1B anymore. Working on EAD.

- couple of basic questions I have are -

1) Are there any problems in leaving from the above mentioned Airports to return to USA with AP?
2) Are there any issues in local travel (U-Rail, Bus, Car etc.)

Any experience would be appreciated.

Thank you

sunny1000
01-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Hello:

I was wondering if someone have experienced - travelling with AP in Europe and returning back to USA. I may have to travel in next couple of months (or later this year) to a few places in Eurpoe - Zurich / Geneva / Frankfurt / Paris etc. I don't have H-1B anymore. Working on EAD.

- couple of basic questions I have are -

1) Are there any problems in leaving from the above mentioned Airports to return to USA with AP?
2) Are there any issues in local travel (U-Rail, Bus, Car etc.)

Any experience would be appreciated.

Thank you

I can answer Q1. Returning to the US using a valid AP should not be a problem as long as you are not absent from the country for a very long time (usually 2 weeks to a month's absence is ok). I traveled on AP several times last year (5 to be exact) and did not face any issues. I am sure that the Airlines and the immigration officials at the above airports are familiar with AP. So, you won't have any issues boarding the aircraft from the above airports.

I can't answer Q2 as I have not traveled inside Europe (only stopped by the airports :))

TO BE OR NO TO BE
01-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Thank you Sunny1000

Amman
01-09-2012, 02:00 PM
When you come back to the US port entry, make sure you have all HIB approvals prior to filling I-485. Say, if you have filled I-485 in July 2007, make sure you have all H1B approvals in HAND at least until Jun 2007.

I used AP past 2 times and last time I was asked by Immi Officer at port entry for all H1B papers and I didn't have all of them;) It was fun for an hour as he would not let me in;) Finally he let me in and warned me to carry all approvals until get the GC.

TO BE OR NO TO BE
01-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Thank you Amman

stirfries
01-09-2012, 05:09 PM
When you come back to the US port entry, make sure you have all HIB approvals prior to filling I-485. Say, if you have filled I-485 in July 2007, make sure you have all H1B approvals in HAND at least until Jun 2007.

I used AP past 2 times and last time I was asked by Immi Officer at port entry for all H1B papers and I didn't have all of them;) It was fun for an hour as he would not let me in;) Finally he let me in and warned me to carry all approvals until get the GC.
>>> I used AP past 2 times and last time I was asked by Immi Officer at port entry for all H1B papers and I didn't have all of them It was fun for an hour as he would not let me in

Amman...Is that even legal? The last time I checked with my immigration attorney, he advised that it is okay to carry i-485 petition notice and AP approvals and nothing else is required. Just last H1B approval, ended in 2007 and we are in 2012 and the IO would still expect us to carry a H1B approval that is 4 years old?

stirfries
01-09-2012, 05:14 PM
>> Just last H1B approval, ended in 2007 and we are in 2012 and the IO would still expect us to carry a H1B approval that is 4 years old?

Meant to say, My last H1B approval, ended in 2007...

Amman
01-09-2012, 05:23 PM
You don't need to have or carry H1B approvals AFTER you filled I-485. But you need to prepare to show them all approvals prior to I-485 filling. I guess what they are looking for is, before you file the I-485 , they wanted to check to make sure you maintained the status without any gap. You don't have to have H1B approval after I-485 filled.

stirfries
01-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Thanks Amman...

I understand what they are trying to do..but, it is ridiculous though...For a person like me, who has been in this country since 1999, that is a lot of H1B approval docs to carry :)

And I did H1B transfer a couple of times as well...Probably, I might be having around 4-5 H1B approval docs in total for the period between 1999 - 2007. It's gonna be fun..

Is it also true that, I would have to carry my 1040 tax returns for each year I had been in this country? Do they really ask for it?

With the airlines reducing the amount of luggage u can carry, it looks like 80% of my carry-on would just be bunch of papers :) As my stay grows longer and longer (because of EB3 issues), I foresee a scenario where my carry-on would just be bunch of papers to show IO at the port of entry :)

Amman
01-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks Amman...

I understand what they are trying to do..but, it is ridiculous though...For a person like me, who has been in this country since 1999, that is a lot of H1B approval docs to carry :)

And I did H1B transfer a couple of times as well...Probably, I might be having around 4-5 H1B approval docs in total for the period between 1999 - 2007. It's gonna be fun..

Is it also true that, I would have to carry my 1040 tax returns for each year I had been in this country? Do they really ask for it?

With the airlines reducing the amount of luggage u can carry, it looks like 80% of my carry-on would just be bunch of papers :) As my stay grows longer and longer (because of EB3 issues), I foresee a scenario where my carry-on would just be bunch of papers to show IO at the port of entry :)
I feel your pain, my friend. I have been here since 2000 and hate to carrying around all the crap..sick of it but I paid the price when I entered last time. This IO was really taught me a lession ;) (legal or illegal, that’s different story). One more sick think to deal with until your greended.

Amman
01-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Thanks Amman...

Not sure about tax returns , I haven't had that pleasant experience YET ;)

arc
01-10-2012, 09:40 AM
I have travelled several times and just came in couple days back on AP - Make sure you carry all the copies of the APs you have and they might send you to secondary immigration so make sure you have an hour/hour and a half for that...(I was never asked for past H1Bs)

Other than that its smooth sailing...good luck!

TO BE OR NO TO BE
01-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Thank you arc....