PDA

View Full Version : RFE with name mismatch in birth certificate

silentlucidity
01-04-2012, 01:47 AM
Hi,
I had applied for my AOS in July 2007. I now received an RFE because my name on my birth certificate has my father's and mother's Family name's as initials. Subsequently, for all my school records and all other documents, my father's name was used as my last name. This is what is used in my passport and my AOS application.

The RFE mentions that I need to provide proof about my legal name; and if I changed my name, to provide proof on the name change. THe name change will take time and I have 6 weeks to respond to the RFE.

I have the following documents:

Voter ID card issued by Govt of India
Income tax (PAN) card issued by Govt of India
Indian Passport
10th Marks card
Affidavit from both parents stating that they decided to use father's name as last name for me
Affidavit from an attorney in India stating that it is common for parents to use father's name as last name of child
Undergraduate degree certificate

Any advice on what else I could provide or anyone else who has been in a similar situation would be great.

kumarc123
01-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Hi,
I had applied for my AOS in July 2007. I now received an RFE because my name on my birth certificate has my father's and mother's Family name's as initials. Subsequently, for all my school records and all other documents, my father's name was used as my last name. This is what is used in my passport and my AOS application.

The RFE mentions that I need to provide proof about my legal name; and if I changed my name, to provide proof on the name change. THe name change will take time and I have 6 weeks to respond to the RFE.

Indian Passport
10th Marks card
Affidavit from both parents stating that they decided to use father's name as last name for me
Affidavit from an attorney in India stating that it is common for parents to use father's name as last name of child

Any advice on what else I could provide or anyone else who has been in a similar situation would be great.

The Affidavit should be satisfactory, but to be more careful, I would get a letter from attorney as well and submit to the authorities. Make sure, these are documents are notarized.

Good Luck!

mach1343
01-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Hi,

Indian Passport
10th Marks card

What is your PD and also what is your Notice Date for AOS? Do you already have a EAD back in 2007?