PDA

View Full Version : Overtime for Full time employee

solaris27
06-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Just want to know that is there any law
which help to get overtime for full time employee.

I know if you consultant you get paid by hours but not when you become full time employee.

a_yaja
06-05-2009, 06:02 PM

I know if you consultant you get paid by hours but not when you become full time employee.

Overtime is paid only if you are a non-exempt employee - usually means you get paid hourly. If you are an exempt employee, then you are not eligible for overtime. Not sure if this is different in different states, but that is how it works in Ohio.

looneytunezez
06-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Overtime is paid only if you are a non-exempt employee - usually means you get paid hourly. If you are an exempt employee, then you are not eligible for overtime. Not sure if this is different in different states, but that is how it works in Ohio.

Same is true here in CA (Only non-exempt employees get overtime).
Again, check with your state agency regards to overtime pay..... or consult a employment attorney...

gauravster
06-05-2009, 08:13 PM

As said earlier, overtime is paid to non-exempt employees. As a white collared employee's most of us are not eligible for overtime. when working as a consultant, your employee contract (if not explicitly, implicitly) gives you a bonus for the overtime that you do. There is no requirement. If you are consulting though, your company might bill overtime if you work overtime, it may or maynot decide to give you that even if they are getting it.