PDA

View Full Version : Best Health Insurance - Visitor Visa

greencard.wait
12-20-2011, 01:29 PM
Hi,

My parents are visiting me for 6 months from India. Please suggest me which health insurance is best. Appreciate your response.

Thanks,

ranand00
12-20-2011, 02:06 PM
i bought atlas america...
anand

itisbhaskar
12-20-2011, 02:32 PM
If you are looking for a nominal coverage (Assuming your parents are healthy), just to have a visit for general ill-healths, then ICIC Lombard is good that will cover travel insurance also. I took the same for my parents and in-law wen they were here for 4 months.

vishalgupta2
12-20-2011, 02:42 PM
My parents in law got LIC from India and it was cheaper and LIC hass less *** (fine print) in the papers

greencard.wait
12-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks guys.

I am looking for only cashless insurance that way I don't have to pay anything upfront.

I think ICICI Lombard is one option. Any other options with Cashless claim

Thanks,

Ko Murugesan
12-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Comperhensive plans cover the entire amount after the deductables. Some plans are price attractive they all have per day maximum. Like $2500 max a day.

You can go for Atlas America,Liasion International

Good Luck

greencard.wait
12-20-2011, 05:16 PM
I am planning for around 100K dollar coverage with cashless plan. I know ICICI Lombard has one. Just trying to compare if any other company also provide same.

Thanks

rxd9507IV
12-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Icici insurance is a joke for any serious condition.

How much do you pay for your own instance. Probably 800 to 1000 per month
whether you know about it or not.

Devil is in the details with instance so read carefully.

I always take comprehensive insurance with high deductible and here is the rationale.
I do not expect my parents to get sick or have an accident but in some unfortunate case something bad happens I want to have my worst case pr-defined.

Any insurance without deductible is either too costly or too good to be true.
Atlas is okay.

greencard.wait
12-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks... you mean Atlas America Insurance, Atlas Insurance for USA Visitors and International Travelers (http://www.atlasamericainsurance.net/) or different one ?

Icici insurance is a joke for any serious condition.

How much do you pay for your own instance. Probably 800 to 1000 per month
whether you know about it or not.

Devil is in the details with instance so read carefully.

I always take comprehensive insurance with high deductible and here is the rationale.
I do not expect my parents to get sick or have an accident but in some unfortunate case something bad happens I want to have my worst case pr-defined.

Any insurance without deductible is either too costly or too good to be true.
Atlas is okay.

rxd9507IV
12-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks... you mean Atlas America Insurance, Atlas Insurance for USA Visitors and International Travelers (http://www.atlasamericainsurance.net/) or different one ?
Frankly I never got to test any insurance for my parents and I am thankful to god for that but yes I meant atlas America. I just remember doing tons of research and ended up deciding for comprehensive with higher deductible and still it was expensive.

Also pay attention to pre existing condition. There are some fine nuances around that as well. I cannot post the link from where I bought it as it will get blocked anyhow so search on google.

122003PK
12-21-2011, 10:51 AM
I feel more comfortable in buying health insurance in the USA than in India. When you buy it here, all billing and claims are handled and completed here (mostly on phone/fax/email) and the seniors in my family do not have to worry about anything.

For my mom and my in-laws I usually purchase IMG's Visitors Care or Patriot America, they are listed on

I had to file a claim once after my mom had a viral infection (nothing serious) and the IMG insurance plan worked just like a regular US health insurance (the doctor billed them and I paid my deductible). For the medication I had to pay about $400 at the pharmacy, fax a claim and the company paid $250 (policy max) -- everything completed in about 3 days.

For my father-in-law I purchased a plan that covered pre-existing condition to a certain extent. Also, I did not compare the US plan prices with Indian plan before buying.

Hope that helps.

- PK

gaz
12-21-2011, 11:35 AM
i've used an American plan - from that website that all google links lead to at that time (not sure if things have changed since)

It was a painful process to get the payments made to the hospital - took over 6+ months for a non preexisting ER claim. Since then we moved to an Indian insurance provider (cholamandalam) - currently working through a claim with them .. it looks like it will take some time too - but they are more proactive in responding to phone calls or calling regarding requiring information (the American one would just sit on the application until i called to find out what was happening)

planets
09-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Which one would be good for TX state?

velagale
09-07-2012, 02:57 PM
I took India network insurance plan. Works for pre-existing conditions ! They paid !

injrav
09-10-2012, 08:39 AM
recently we visited doctor for my mother in law who are here on visitor visa
As usual my insurance won't pay for medicines.
in CVS, WALGREEN it will cost around 200$
then walgreen guy suggested one card known as walgreen prescription ,, it will cost 25$,, but you will save lot of money.. in our case we paid 80$+25$[for member ship]
so immediately I took this for our entire family... we are all most paying 60% less than regular price
NOTE: you can check drug price in walgreen website.
I am not giving the link do your own research in google....

I feel more comfortable in buying health insurance in the USA than in India. When you buy it here, all billing and claims are handled and completed here (mostly on phone/fax/email) and the seniors in my family do not have to worry about anything.

For my mom and my in-laws I usually purchase IMG's Visitors Care or Patriot America, they are listed on

I had to file a claim once after my mom had a viral infection (nothing serious) and the IMG insurance plan worked just like a regular US health insurance (the doctor billed them and I paid my deductible). For the medication I had to pay about $400 at the pharmacy, fax a claim and the company paid $250 (policy max) -- everything completed in about 3 days.

For my father-in-law I purchased a plan that covered pre-existing condition to a certain extent. Also, I did not compare the US plan prices with Indian plan before buying.

Hope that helps.

- PK

batukpatel
09-12-2012, 08:06 AM
I took India network insurance plan. Works for pre-existing conditions ! They paid !

Current India Network plans are going to be discontinued from November 1, 2012. Please read the blog posting made on August 31, 2012 on their own web site.

Therefore, better to buy something else from the US based company that will be around.

batukpatel
09-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Current India Network plans are going to be discontinued from November 1, 2012. Please read the blog posting made on August 31, 2012 on their own web site.

Therefore, better to buy something else from the US based company that will be around.

Their own web site says
"....buy in the next few weeks when plans are still available........" and "..........current plans may not be available when you needed them in the next few months.........."

Nikith77
09-12-2012, 01:06 PM
So which is the best

waitingnwaiting
09-12-2012, 01:25 PM
So which is the best

NONE that I know.
Maybe insurance from companies is best only for the companies and its agents. Why you see so much advertising for it and trying to lure immigrants to buy? Is it because agents make a lot of money off it.

Have you asked anyone using these themselves how it helped them? All they will tell you is they felt peace of mind and that they did something. But ask them if they have filed a claim for anything and if they got any money reimbursed? Find 5 people who will say that it helped them because the visitor insurance paid for surgery, procedure or treatment. Find out if their claim was denied citing pre-existing condition? Does it cover only small items like bruises and bandaids or more? How was the customer service by agents after the claim was filed? How was follow up possible once visitors left the country?

And please insurance agents from other websites do not answer. Only senior members should answer. Other immigration forums are run by insurance agents and we see their ads everywhere there.

batukpatel
09-12-2012, 03:01 PM
If all the visitors insurance plans from all the companies are bad, there is no other option left . As long as people want to buy visitors insurance, they would have to buy only from the companies that exist in the market. You have to find the most suitable for your needs from current market only.

If all the U.S. insurance companies are denying all the major claims, they can't possibly be in business for decades. May be somepeople have too much unrealistic expectations from the visitors insurance. For example, if you want to bring your father to the U.S. get the knee surgery done or if your mother needs kidney dialysis twice a week, no company can afford to cover that.

waitingnwaiting
09-12-2012, 03:11 PM
If all the visitors insurance plans from all the companies are bad, there is no other option left . As long as people want to buy visitors insurance, they would have to buy only from the companies that exist in the market. You have to find the most suitable for your needs from current market only.

If all the U.S. insurance companies are denying all the major claims, they can't possibly be in business for decades. May be somepeople have too much unrealistic expectations from the visitors insurance. For example, if you want to bring your father to the U.S. get the knee surgery done or if your mother needs kidney dialysis twice a week, no company can afford to cover that.

Are you an insurance agent?
This is why I said only senior member need to answer. I have lived on many immigration forums and know that once someone posts such question many insurance agents from companies start answering and then try to sell their insurance.

I asked for experience and not justification why you should buy insurance.

batukpatel
09-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Whether someone wants to buy insurance or not is an individual decision that the person needs to make. I don't think any agent is forcing any one to buy.

No, I am not an agent. If I were, I would attempt to promote my products or my company or my web site, and I did none of that.

I just happen to have a different view than you that you apparently do not seem to like and that is fine.

batukpatel
09-12-2012, 03:31 PM
And yes, even if I had positive experience with any company and if I posted that, people would still refuse to believe that and blame that such posts must have been made by the insurance companies or agents selling such plans. Of course, you have the right to your opinion and beliefs.

waitingnwaiting
09-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Can someone explain why almost all immigration forums are owned by insurance agents or lawyers? I can understand why lawyers will own a forum to get new clients and business on immigration. But I do not understand why insurance agents own the forum on immigration instead of a forum on insurance issues.

batukpatel
09-12-2012, 04:05 PM
That is a good question, but I am not sure.

But I don't see anything wrong with it. Whether you buy any insurance from such web sites or not, you still get help with your immigration issues for free. You said you visited such web sites in the past. Therefore, I guess you must have benefited from it. If those immigration web sites didn't have any monetary incentive to run them (one way or other), they might not exist otherwise. Therefore, it is still good for the immigrant community that they exist, right?

waitingnwaiting
09-12-2012, 04:53 PM
I stopped going to those websites once I realized that the owners are insurance agents. This is why I like immigration voice. It is a non profit. It is run by immigrants and works for the benefit of immigrants. Other sites see profit as long as people wait for greencards. That is sick to me. You are defending your immigration website not named yet and your insurance which you have not named yet. Why don't you name it now?

krishmunn
09-12-2012, 05:30 PM
It is kind of correct that most claims submitted to Visitors Insurance are denied on one pretext or other. the problem is, since these insurance companies are not licensed to any state insurance department, DOI cannot do anything about wrong denial. The only way to go for it is Law suit. Technically, the insured (Visitor) should file the lawsuit and insured cannot remain in US for a long time to go through the law suit. Further, most Indians are averse to law suits.
I have been a long time proponent of Indian Insurance companies. That way, the Visitor can complaint with Insurance Ombudsman in India if there are issues