View Full Version : Changing from H1B to Visa waiver

12-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Hi guys,

Currently I work under an H1B Visa.

Assuming that I would get fired: Is it possible to change my status to a Tourist and stay a few weeks in order to either look for a new job or settle outstanding tasks and the leave?

I know that you can change to the B category but I'm not sure whether that's necessary since I'm a European citizen (Austria).

Also: Is the length of the B category Visa dependent on the officer who changes it? Can you ask for a certain amount of days when submitting for a change of status?

Do I need to leave an reenter the country for B/Visa Waiver?

Sorry if I this has been handled in older topics but I searched for some time now and couldn't find anything.

Please let me know.


12-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Not sure buddy. I strongly recommend you consult with an immigration attorney.

Typically, there is no grace period after an H1, and I know you can't actively seek employment while on an B VISA.

There are however loop holes that may allow it. A good immigration attorney should help you out.

Good Luck!

12-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Okay thx.

Is there any online legal service? Or do you advise against that? I just don't want to go to a lawyer and then pay 500 per hour to answer me 3 questions.