PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding purchasing tickets for Parents

Iak123
06-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Hi All,
Please can somebody tell me when purchasing airline tickets for my parents. Do I need to buy a open ticket valid for six months or do I have to buy a ticket with fixed dates. I am lost any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

la_guy
06-02-2009, 03:39 PM
You can buy a ticket, which has a hard return date after six months. After they come here, you can again reschedule earlier or later. I know cathay pacific allows to reschedule any number of times for free...

crazyghoda
06-02-2009, 04:38 PM
If he buys a ticket with a return date AFTER 6 months from date of initial travel into the US, the officer at the POE (if he looks at the tickets) may not allow them into the country. Do not choose any date more than 6 months from initial date.

whiteStallion
06-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Yes, the return ticket have to be *within* 6 months rather than after 6 months.

priderock
06-02-2009, 08:13 PM
In talking to multiple travel agents, I don't think there is such a thing called "open ticket". I guess there is always a return date and most air lines will allow you to reschedule, some for free and some for a charge based on your ticket class.

The 6 months return validity suggestion above is valid, assuming they are on a visit visa (not have a GC themselves :). when my parents came they only have the ticket for 4 months and the officer at POE gave them 6 months on the departure card.

gc_on_demand
06-02-2009, 08:28 PM
I booked for my parents and deal was 700 USD for return from India to JFk + 1 free reschedule and second one for 30 USD ...

VivekAhuja
06-02-2009, 08:34 PM
No need of open ticket or anything like that. Just make sure they have all their papers intact and do not over stay. Days of Open Tickets are gone as far as POE or Consulate is concerned.

browncow
06-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Most airline allow one free date change. You might just need to pay processing fee (20-40 bucks) for the change.
But a confirmed return ticket is needed for passengers travelling on visitor visas.

Iak123
06-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Thank You All for responding. That is very helpful

chantu
09-18-2009, 11:13 PM
I am planning to book tickets for my parents travelling from India to US and returning back to India after 2 months. I have some questions:

1) Is it necessary to book tickets in India?

2) If not, Can I book tickets through orbitz or expedia in the US and send them the e-tickets?

Please reply with your experiences.

Thanks in advance!

vikki76
09-19-2009, 04:00 AM
I am planning to book tickets for my parents travelling from India to US and returning back to India after 2 months. I have some questions:

2) If not, Can I book tickets through orbitz or expedia in the US and send them the e-tickets?

Thanks in advance!

you can book from expedia/orbitz. We recently booked on American Airlines for parents.

a_yaja
09-19-2009, 11:51 AM

Thanks in advance!

I have booked tickets on orbitz.com for my parents and cheaptickets.com for my in-laws. Both were eTickets and there were no problems. I preferred to pay in USD over INR due to the fact that visa/ mastercard charge a 1% transaction fee for international currency and my bank would have screwed me on the exchange rate.

chantu
09-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the responses guys!

I can see cheaper tickets on orbitz than many travelling agents in my city in India. I will go ahead and book the tickets through orbitz. I will also look into the suggestion of Rajesh before booking from orbitz.

rajeshalex
09-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Another thing. Since the ticket starts from India base fare will be in INR and when u buy online the credit card company converts $ into INR. Usually credit card company exchange rate is lower than the ones provided by HDFC and other banks.

Also check for foreign transaction charges imposed by credit card companies..

narendra_modi
09-19-2009, 08:22 PM
I booked for my parents and deal was 700 USD for return from India to JFk + 1 free reschedule and second one for 30 USD ...

Curious to know, how do people get such a nice deal ? If you don't mind, can you please share the secret, was this deal online ? Which site ? Usually when you get such a deal ? Thanks.

rajeshalex
09-20-2009, 02:31 AM
Hi Modi,

If u plan in 3 months prior and if u dont travel during the peak times you should get a good deal from anyone. Peak time is when school closes in US and Dec 10 to Jan 20.

And get quotes from one or 2 agents and check the airline website. This should give u a good starting point

Rajesh

shivarajan
09-20-2009, 02:46 AM
have been using mobissimo.com search engine for flights and works gr8. It's searches across all other travel sites. :p