PDA

View Full Version : Does somebody holding H1B can work as volunteer for other job?

taichi999
06-02-2009, 05:28 AM
I currently hold a H1B and work for full time with that sponsor. I also want to teach some classes for a local community college as volunteer (no pay). Is this legal?

Thanks!

indianabacklog
06-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Since a community college is a for profit business and their teaching staff are normally salaried this is a complicated one. Since you are willing to do a job that is usually paid for the role is technically not one that can be undertaken as a volunteer as it could be seen as taking a potential job away from another person.

If you wish to volunteer and avoid any issues then do something that is always performed by volunteers e.g. in a hospital or care situation.

jthomas
06-02-2009, 11:41 AM
I currently hold a H1B and work for full time with that sponsor. I also want to teach some classes for a local community college as volunteer (no pay). Is this legal?

Thanks!

H1B rules need you to have one employer and so you cannot take salary from anybody else. you can do any volunteer service provided you are not paid for.