PDA

View Full Version : DL extension in NC using EAD or AP

leoindiano
06-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Hello Guys,

DMV in north carolina is not accepting EAD or AP to give the license. All they are blindly asking for is a I-94, we will not have a valid i-94 unless we go out of the country and come back. Luckily, i had my h1 extension until 2010 july and a i-94 attached to it and was able to get the license extended till then.

Please share your experience.

mantagon
06-01-2009, 05:01 PM
...based on my pending I-485 recently. Here's how it happened:-

Me: I want to renew my DL.
BMV Clerk: Can I see your immigration docs?
Me: I showed the I-797 showing the Adjustment of Status application receipt (even though I've an EAD valid until Aug '10).
BMV Clerk: Does not understand; calls the Manager.
BMV Manager: Looks at the Receipt Date (July 2007) and remarks that since it is the state law to renew a DL for 1 year from the Receipt Date and that it is almost 2 years now, they are unable to renew my DL!!
Me: I explain that my AOS application is still pending and that for certain countries, it can take anywhere between 5-10 years to get a Green Card.
BMV Manager: Understands my situation - but says can't do anything as it is the law, unless I can get a new I-797 showing that my application is still pending!
Me: I explain to him that USCIS only gives such a receipt only once. Then I ask him is he could call someone in the State Dept and find out?
BMV Manager: Calls up the State Dept. and talks to a personnel. Spends about 15 mins explaining the situation - gives my Receipt Number to the person and then after another 10 mins or so hangs up! Then, he informs me that I shall be happy to know that they can do a renewal for 4 years in my case!!
Me: Jumping with joy - thank the Manager for his help!

deepakjain
06-01-2009, 05:07 PM
We had similar experience, EAD was accepted in place of i-94 and 797...this was in the state of Missouri...

BTW: another way of harrashing immigrants, many now have valid documents from 3 months till max of 2 years...meaning every Yr people will end up paying money...:p

deepakjain
06-01-2009, 05:10 PM
One of my friends was given 4 months extension on DL...that was based on EAD which is valid till Sept end...

now for my friend his DL will be valid till the validity of his EAD....so every yr or every alternate Yr he will renew his DL as well...:D....

Same will happen to me after Jul 2010...:D