PDA

View Full Version : IV speaks at senator Moran and Senator Warner's StartUp Bill press conference

pappu
12-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Below you’ll find a link to the press conference video. Immigrationvoice part begins at around 21:10 minutes. It's also posted on Senator Moran's website and will probably soon show up on Sen. Warner's website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuHAYy9r-k8

Immigrationvoice has always advocated for STEM exemption and Startup visa is something we have not really worked on in the past. In this unique opportunity, Senate offices invited immigrationvoice to support their bill.

Sen. Moran and Sen. Warner Host Press Conference to Introduce Startup Act.
On December 8, 2011, Sen. Moran and Sen. Warner were joined by Steve Case, co-founder of AOL and a member of President Obama's Council on Jobs and Competitiveness, and Brink Lindsey of the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, as they unveiled bipartisan legislation aimed at jumpstarting the economy through the creation and growth of new businesses. This bill contains one of the key Immigration voice provision of STEM exemption that we have always worked on. We are happy to see recognition of our community and issue by these Senate offices.

Thank you everyone for your support. We will keep you updated on any progress of this bill.

coopheal
12-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Great going IV.....and thanks again for being a solution oriented organization

thomachan72
12-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Great going but hope it is not clubbed with 3012 or 1857. That will increase the transit time. What we need immediately is a relief from the per country quota. Anyways it is good to note positive movement. :D:D

snathan
12-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Good Job

padmaforopt
12-09-2011, 09:40 AM
This is a gr8 news .

onefineday
12-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Sorry for being so daft, but I could not find either the provisions of this bill or the calendar schedule. Is this going to the senate? What does 'introduced' mean?

ronhira
12-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Sorry for being so daft, but I could not find either the provisions of this bill or the calendar schedule. Is this going to the senate? What does 'introduced' mean?

Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+does+%27bill+introduced%27+mean)

rajeev_achary
12-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Great going but hope it is not clubbed with 3012 or 1857. That will increase the transit time. What we need immediately is a relief from the per country quota. Anyways it is good to note positive movement. :D:D

Your profile says you are current in Jan 2012.
Congrats !!

thomachan72
12-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Your profile says you are current in Jan 2012.
Congrats !!
Yes looks like the visa bulletin has advanced. However, that does nothing to reduce our determination to fight for 3012. I really hope IV will have some other +ve news soon to share. the stupid "hold" has taken its toll on our members. Everybody was so exited when the house passed it and now this one guy spoils all the fun. Anyways let us keep the fight on.

cleopatra
12-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Below you’ll find a link to the press conference video. Immigrationvoice part begins at around 21:10 minutes. It's also posted on Senator Moran's website and will probably soon show up on Sen. Warner's website.

Senators Warner & Moran discuss Start Up Act - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuHAYy9r-k8)

Immigrationvoice has always advocated for STEM exemption and Startup visa is something we have not really worked on in the past. In this unique opportunity, Senate offices invited immigrationvoice to support their bill.

Sen. Moran and Sen. Warner Host Press Conference to Introduce Startup Act.
On December 8, 2011, Sen. Moran and Sen. Warner were joined by Steve Case, co-founder of AOL and a member of President Obama's Council on Jobs and Competitiveness, and Brink Lindsey of the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, as they unveiled bipartisan legislation aimed at jumpstarting the economy through the creation and growth of new businesses. This bill contains one of the key Immigration voice provision of STEM exemption that we have always worked on. We are happy to see recognition of our community and issue by these Senate offices.

Thank you everyone for your support. We will keep you updated on any progress of this bill.

Congrats IV on getting this well deserved recognition.

And thanks to Vishal and Neelima for clearly summarizing the plight of legal immigrants like me who are waiting to start their own business and contributing to this great nation.

I hope bills like these pass in addition to the HR 3012 to ensure that this country stays competitive and continues to lead the world in innovation and entrepreneurship.

go_guy123
12-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Congrats IV on getting this well deserved recognition.

And thanks to Vishal and Neelima for clearly summarizing the plight of legal immigrants like me who are waiting to start their own business and contributing to this great nation.

I hope bills like these pass in addition to the HR 3012 to ensure that this country stays competitive and continues to lead the world in innovation and entrepreneurship.

If even the smallest and simplest skilled immigration bill like HR3012 fails in Senate...this STEM bill is a far cry.
Just wondering does this bill not have 60 member support ? (needed to break filibuster)
If HR3012 can be fillibustered to death , then what are the chances are for STEM

whiz
12-09-2011, 05:57 PM
I hope ROWers see this bill and work with IV rather than try to work with NumbersUSA and Sen. Grassley to scuttle HR 3012

helpful_leo
12-09-2011, 07:35 PM
I hope ROWers see this bill and work with IV rather than try to work with NumbersUSA and Sen. Grassley to scuttle HR 3012

Hear, Hear!

It has been extremely disappointing to see ROWers get into bed with strident anti-immigrant orgs like numbersUSA to spite IV and IC. That too, only because they are slightly inconvenienced by HR3012, but which will immensely benefit IC and release them from draconian wait times (esp. EB3).

Btw, I am impressed with the reach that IV has developed as is clear from the video. It has become the go-to organization for high skills immigration on Capitol Hill.

Hope the ROWers see the 90% we have in common ("country limits" is the only place we disagree), and work with IV rather than against it!

honest123
12-10-2011, 08:00 AM
I do think the purposes of both "Start-Up Act" and "STEM ACT" should correlate with a goal----that is to uplift the US economy by creating more job opportunities from either foreign entreprenurs around the world (possible from "Start-Up Act") or from US foreign advanced graduates (possible from "STEM Act").

However, I do think both "Start-Up Act" and "STEM Act" should be fixed in some points flexibly for successful job creations which lead to better income for the country, for example, "Start-Up Act" originally is to allow entreprenurs' capital mainly raised from US angel investors. However, during the global economic deep depression, raising any capital from any US angel investors is NOT easy, therefore, personally I do think "Start-Up Act" should be fixed--- that is flexibly to allow any kinds of legal inflow of money either solely from entreprenurs or from US angel investors' capital for job creations to hire at least one to three US citizens for jobs. Then after each year, all kinds of taxes from each established company should be imposed.

Also, "STEM Act" originally is to allow US advanced graduates in STEM field (with a US job offer) to get green cards via application from US employers. I do think "STEM Act" should be fixed----to allow US advanced graduates from US accredited institutions in STEM field (WITH OR WITHOUT US job offer) to get green cards VIA THE APPLICATION FROM GRADUATES but NOT via any US employer. Once after these advanced graduates immigrate to US, they should either set up companies to hire Americans for jobs and pay taxes or at least to buy a house to pay property tax. Overall, those graduates pay different kinds of taxes right after immigration to let inflow of money to the country.

Murthy
12-10-2011, 10:05 AM
While 100% supporting for HR 3012,These Spill over rules must be changed.
All spill over unused visas from EB1 or EB5 should go over to general pool and go to FIRST come First basis in EB categories so that EB3 also moves forward like EB2 now.
Hope many EB3 folks agree with me.

If even the smallest and simplest skilled immigration bill like HR3012 fails in Senate...this STEM bill is a far cry.
Just wondering does this bill not have 60 member support ? (needed to break filibuster)
If HR3012 can be fillibustered to death , then what are the chances are for STEM

psn1975
12-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Totally agree! I would like to add one more thing.... from this common pool they should allocate visa number first to people who were born in a countries capital and if there first name begins with P - this will really help me get my greencard :-)

Remember "United we stand, divided we fall".

allinall
12-10-2011, 02:14 PM
My thought on backlog reduction for EB3 India is like, first USCIS needs to clear all the backlogged cases when they created backlog centers for labor certification in March 2005. Then they can go forward with all the cases filed after March 2005. That is logical and fair.

My 2 cents.

Pappu_Pager
12-10-2011, 11:16 PM

Very true .. Grassley is not an immgrant friendly and forward thinking from his past actions .. ROWers should be careful to make him as a friend for HR3012 .. It won't be far that Grassley would ask for some restriction affecting ROWers, as well .. and if the drift between ROWers and I/C/M/P continues, it would be difficult for ROWers to get I/C/M/P support .. Just 2 yrs of little delay (and that too for transition phase, not for ever ! ) .. ROWers should be smart enough to support I/C/M/P this time on HR3012 to get I/C/M/P support for something bigger, which would benefit all immigrants at greater scale ... Grassley or people like him will be successful in creating partition among immigrants if HR3012 fails ..

honest123
12-10-2011, 11:22 PM
Please see the below link article:

A Modest Proposal For Immigration: The $100,000 Green Card | TechCrunch (http://techcrunch.com/2011/12/10/immigration-100000-green-card/)

Waitnwait
12-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Go IV!!!!!!