PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Grandparents, Please Advise

Eduardo
05-13-2009, 02:52 AM
My mom wants to invite my grandmother to visit us in the US for a few months.

From everything I've read I know that she will be coming as a visitor supported by us and not as a tourist supporting herself.

But I'm not sure if we need to apply for a greencard or how my mom could Invite my grandmother and get just a visa for a few months.

I'm also a bit confused, my mom is a US Citizen and I found alot of forms that are for family members of people that have a specific type of visa but nothing for a parent of a US Citizen.

I just need to know what type of visa I we should be trying to get and I will be able to find all of the information from there.

Thank you for your help!
Eduardo

snathan
05-13-2009, 03:11 AM
My mom wants to invite my grandmother to visit us in the US for a few months.

From everything I've read I know that she will be coming as a visitor supported by us and not as a tourist supporting herself.

But I'm not sure if we need to apply for a greencard or how my mom could Invite my grandmother and get just a visa for a few months.

I'm also a bit confused, my mom is a US Citizen and I found alot of forms that are for family members of people that have a specific type of visa but nothing for a parent of a US Citizen.

I just need to know what type of visa I we should be trying to get and I will be able to find all of the information from there.

Thank you for your help!
Eduardo

You need to apply for the B2 visitor visa. You do not need Green Card. If you are talking about Green Card, they will not give the visa. Because B2 visa not dual intend - means you can not apply for Green card. If you plan to bring your Grandma for long term here....your mother need to apply her Green Card in family based category. if only for short time she need to apply for B2 visa. Check in the net for the B2 visa documents.

Eduardo
05-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks, I found a website that has alot of information and all of the forms that we'll need.
But I have a few question that might seem stupid.

My mom will fill out the I-134 to show support for her mother, does my mom turn this into USCIS? or does she send it to my grandmother so that my grandmother has it to show during her interview?

Also for the DS-156/7 my grandmother has to do all of this in Mexico and we can't file these forms for her here in the US right?

looneytunezez
05-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Firstly, you need to take an appointment for your grandmother to get a visa from the US consulate in Mexico. Most countries allow you to take an appointment online.

Once you get her appointment, you/your mom will need to send both the documents to your grandmother.

In regards to I-134, you need to send this to your grandmother, as this is required during the interview and not part of the application package needed for an appointment. (They might ask for this if they think they want to know more about your grandmother's sponsorship for her trip).

DS 156/7 needs filled in by your grandma. She will need these while attending her interview for the visa. (REQUIRED during the interview). She can have it prepared for her behalf by someone (even you)....the details are available on the forms itself.

DO NOT MENTION GREEN CARD AT ALL, during the interview as B2 is a visitor visa meant for temporary small stays.

hope this helps,

LT

Thanks, I found a website that has alot of information and all of the forms that we'll need.
But I have a few question that might seem stupid.

My mom will fill out the I-134 to show support for her mother, does my mom turn this into USCIS? or does she send it to my grandmother so that my grandmother has it to show during her interview?

Also for the DS-156/7 my grandmother has to do all of this in Mexico and we can't file these forms for her here in the US right?

Eduardo
05-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks alot, I have one more question.
For the I-134 should I have my mom/dad fill out one separately for my mom's mom? I was thinking of just having my mom fill one out but the bank accounts are mainly in my dad's name, so one from each of them would allow the interviewer to see how much money they have in the bank.