PDA

View Full Version : Query regarding sending docs to Mumbai Consulate

Iak123
05-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Hi All,
I have seen the appointement dates open for just 1 week in advance. So if I try today i.e May 12 the date available will be May 20th. For Mumbai consulate, papers need to be submitted 4-5 working days prior to the interview date. It takes minimum 2 days to send papers to India.

I was wondering if there is any way to download DS-156 and sign it and send it to India and then just fax the appointement letter after appointement is confirmed. I am trying to get visitor visa date for my parents and as I am preparing the DS-156, I need to sign it before I can send it to them.

Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks in advance.

mailsunnydeol
05-13-2009, 12:54 PM
I was in the same situation as you were. I took the appointment and got onto the flight the very next day. Landed directly in Mumbai. Submitted the Visa docs at the VFS office and went to the interview next week. I know it is not feasible for everyone but you got to do what you got to do.

The alternative is to take an appointment at a different location.

checklaw
05-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Hi All,
I have seen the appointement dates open for just 1 week in advance. So if I try today i.e May 12 the date available will be May 20th. For Mumbai consulate, papers need to be submitted 4-5 working days prior to the interview date. It takes minimum 2 days to send papers to India.

I was wondering if there is any way to download DS-156 and sign it and send it to India and then just fax the appointement letter after appointement is confirmed. I am trying to get visitor visa date for my parents and as I am preparing the DS-156, I need to sign it before I can send it to them.

Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Couple of options:
When you read the Consulate instructions form (you must have got this when confirming the appointment) for Visitor's visa carefully, there is an ambiguity in the wording of when to submit to VFS. One place says 5 business days another place in the form says 3 business days. Since you do not have a choice, send it within 3 business days (FYI, I did that with success two weeks back)

Choose a reliable courier service. I sent by Fedex reached in two business days, cost $55.
(Ofcourse depends where you are sending to...Mine was a metro.)

One more option is, I remember DS-156 just needs sign of person preparing it (if different from applicant) so does it have to be you signing it (technically) ? Why not have someone else as the preparer..

Hope it helps.
checklaw

Iak123
05-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Hi All,
Just wanted to share that surprisingly dates for the first week of June are now open for Mumbai consulate for Hindi interviews..I have been looking for a while but always saw dates open within next 7 days only. I am guessing on 15th of each month may be they open for the following month.

Also, thanks to all who mentioned that dates open between 10-11 pm US EST time. It does work. I have the dates but now starts the real process :)