View Full Version : How to Extend vistor's Visa?Please advise.

05-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Hello All,
Did anyone in the house apply for vistor's visa extension lately?Could you please help with the list of documents required and the experience?Besides filling up form I-539,any other important document that needs to be sent?Also, should I send the original I-94 along with the application or just the photo copy is enough?
Hoping to get some help here.

Appreciate your help and time in advance !

07-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Hi can someone advise me what is the best way and steps (forms and other supporting documents) to extend the stay for my mother in law beyond the 6 months as given on her entry under 10 year visitor visa for few more months (3-4 months) please. We have a religious ceremony so that she can stay beyond the 6 months and attend. One of the lawyers told me that beyond 6 month as given during her entry is not possible which I doubt it. Pl advise/share your experiences from those of you have gone through this process recently.

07-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Apply for an extension by submitting I-539 form.As far as my experienced is concerned, it is always better to be honest with the reason you are giving for an extension.
Once you apply,until you hear from them, you can legally stay for a month or two.It normaly takes 2-3 months to get a reply from USCIS.Dont ask for more than 2-3 months or they might get suspicious.
Hope this helps.
Good Luck !

07-23-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the response. I only need 2-3 months only for our daughter 6-month ceremony.

What happens to the status in the interim period till you hear yes or no from USCIS when she waits and if the 194 times get over by that time?

07-23-2009, 08:40 PM
Like I said earlier, by applying for an extension of stay and once you recieve the receipt after applying, you are eligible to stay for a month or 2 until you hear back from them.
If the reply is NO, then you better leave US immediately.I mean immediatley.If the reply is YES, then you could stay until the new I-94 is valid.( They will send you a new one if they approve the extension).Applying for an extension and waiting on to hear back from them, will allow you to stay for a month or two.Yes, you still keep your old I-94 and return it while leaving.
When you are asked next time on entry to US, you could always justify saying you had applied for an extension and did NOT hear back and left in a month or two.This is incase if you dont hear back from them.That is why dont over stay more than 2 months.This is serious because they might get suspicious on your entry next time and might not allow you to enter.So, please dont abuse this oppurtunity.This is what my lawyer has advised.
Hope this helps.
Again, not more than 2 months if you dont hear from them.If you hear and if the reply is NO, then leave immediately( like in a day or two).They have a robust database and is easy to track these kind of things.
Take Care !