PDA

View Full Version : sticky situation. Indian Passport renewal. counsel needed

mlkman
11-04-2011, 04:17 AM
So it says my Passport expires on 8.11.2011 and the SF consulate nearest to my place is closed on monday (bakriid) which I was planning on doing. I'm at NV and I'm not sure if I can make it by today since the office is only open till noon. And the other overriding fact is my status has gone kaput i.e I'm out of status now.

It's my understanding that the expiry dates are clocked as per indian time.

What problems I may encounter and what I shall do ?

mlkman
11-04-2011, 04:22 AM
Btw, i intend to do the tatkal same day service.

ivgclive
11-04-2011, 04:14 PM
So it says my Passport expires on 8.11.2011 and the SF consulate nearest to my place is closed on monday (bakriid) which I was planning on doing. I'm at NV and I'm not sure if I can make it by today since the office is only open till noon. And the other overriding fact is my status has gone kaput i.e I'm out of status now.

You have 6 months to 1 year time frame (after expiry date) to renew your passport without any questions. If it is beyond the time frame, you may be asked to appear in front of them.

You are fine on that.

"Same Day" : may or may not work for new passport issuance.

ivgclive
11-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Make sure that they accept "in person" applications.

Last few months, most of the items have been outsourced to a 'visa company'.

slowwin
11-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Why are you putting yourself in danger ? Didn't you hear about 3 year or 10 year bans ?
Leave before 180 days to avoid bans and if you are unlucky ICE detention(horrible stories...?).
If you have family, it is all the more important to leave now and try to come back legally.

velagale
11-05-2011, 07:53 PM

I am not sure why you said you were out of status ? Any case, you can just go over to the San Francisco consulate, stand inline and request for tatkal service. They give in 3-4 hours , ie same day. I was in a similar situation before, got it done same day.

velagale
11-05-2011, 07:55 PM
I am not sure why you said you were out of status ? Any case, you can just go over to the San Francisco consulate, stand inline and request for tatkal service. They give in 3-4 hours , ie same day. I was in a similar situation before, got it done same day.

btw, i had submitted the application online already and they had assigned me a different date to appear but i jumped the queue. Also, you need to pay extra for tatkal.