PDA

View Full Version : Indian national on H-1B - need to go to London on work related trip

Gee13
11-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Hi, I am on H-1B visa since 2010. I will need to go to London to meet our UK team for 3 days in December - it is a mostly work related trip but I may step out to sightsee on one day. What visa should I apply for - tourist? Will greatly appreciate it if anyone could list the procedure for the correct visa.

injrav
11-02-2011, 12:37 PM
as it is business trip,, leave this duty [selecting visa category] to your HR department
I believe you are not working for any DESI consultants.

mjdup
11-02-2011, 02:46 PM
You will have to apply for a short day business visa. You'll have to send passport and other documents to their consulate in NY. Give atleast 2-3 weeks for processing, that's what it took for me. They do not allow in person or provide status updates. So, give yourself ample time otherwise you might be panicking in the end.

As other member recommended - if this is for business, have your attorney or HR take care of the formalities.

nitin_prabh
11-02-2011, 07:49 PM
I have multiple people on my team who are on H1 and have travelled to UK for work. They all needed a Business Visa which was sponsored by the company.

GCVivek
11-03-2011, 10:50 PM
On H1b you cannot get tourist visa to UK from the US. You will need to apply from your home country. Or just get a business visa. No one cares if you go one day or all days sightseeing.

Hi, I am on H-1B visa since 2010. I will need to go to London to meet our UK team for 3 days in December - it is a mostly work related trip but I may step out to sightsee on one day. What visa should I apply for - tourist? Will greatly appreciate it if anyone could list the procedure for the correct visa.

sorcerer666
11-04-2011, 05:22 AM
On H1b you cannot get tourist visa to UK from the US. You will need to apply from your home country. Or just get a business visa. No one cares if you go one day or all days sightseeing.

Although, I agree that the OP needs a work visa. I'm on H-1B and have visited UK twice before on a tourist visa. There is no such requirement that the applicant has to apply from the home country. Can you please point to the source where you got this information from??

GCVivek
11-04-2011, 08:57 AM
You cannot apply and get a tourist visa to UK using H1b as proof of legal US residence. Please check UK border control website. You may be able to apply with some other qualifying factors not H1b. Transit through UK does not qualify as a tourist.

Although, I agree that the OP needs a work visa. I'm on H-1B and have visited UK twice before on a tourist visa. There is no such requirement that the applicant has to apply from the home country. Can you please point to the source where you got this information from??

sorcerer666
11-04-2011, 09:35 AM
You cannot apply and get a tourist visa to UK using H1b as proof of legal US residence. Please check UK border control website. You may be able to apply with some other qualifying factors not H1b. Transit through UK does not qualify as a tourist.

Please do not misguide people with false information. You still haven't provided the link which says that H-1B cannot get a tourist visa for UK. Again - I've been to London on a short term visit visa for 6 months while I was on H-1B. There were no other qualifying criteria. AND no was not transit. AND to prove my point, here is the link for the supporting documents needed from the UKBA website:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/out-of-country/visitors.pdf

note on the third box -

"Evidence of your permission to be in
the country where you are applying, if
you are not a national of that country
This could be a residence permit, ‘green card’ or valid visa showing your
current immigration status."

So unless you can point to the exact wording which says H-1B isn't sufficient for the proving legal residency in US, please don't misguide people.