PDA

View Full Version : RFE for change of address?

rockstart
04-23-2009, 11:24 AM
I am planning to change my apartment next week. Its same city same zip code just different apartment complex (got a better deal). I am working the same job, same profile no changes since filing my 485 in Aug 2007. I also received a RFE in July 2008 (at that time my PD was current) it was for BC for which I had submitted an affidavit from my parents since the original was in local language. For the RFE I did an notarized translation of the doc and submitted it. They had also asked for updated EVL with supporting paystubs W2. I sent that and the application has been pending since.

The question I have is will this address change trigger another RFE?. Does any one have any such experience?

hindu_king
04-23-2009, 12:49 PM
I am planning to change my apartment next week. Its same city same zip code just different apartment complex (got a better deal). I am working the same job, same profile no changes since filing my 485 in Aug 2007. I also received a RFE in July 2008 (at that time my PD was current) it was for BC for which I had submitted an affidavit from my parents since the original was in local language. For the RFE I did an notarized translation of the doc and submitted it. They had also asked for updated EVL with supporting paystubs W2. I sent that and the application has been pending since.

The question I have is will this address change trigger another RFE?. Does any one have any such experience?

I changed my address twice recently in a short period of time. Same state but different zip codes. I did not get any RFE's. I already got an RFE in Oct 2008 before I moved. There were Soft LUDs on my applications both the times but no RFEs. I dont think change of address will trigger RFEs.

edaltsis
04-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Oflate there are quite a few incidents that USCIS has issued RFE's for change of address. I read them on IV Forums and my cousin/ few friends whom I know got RFE's for change of address reason. They send an RFE asking if anything has changed in the employment status (if so it means you need to file AC21) or prove your current employment. Some cases I heard got 485 denials without sending a RFE...this will make one to run on their toes for no reason.

It might not be a problem changing the address but its upto you to decide. If I were you, I would not change the address (for the pending cases) other than filing AR-11 which is required per law.

kk_kk
04-23-2009, 02:27 PM
I have chnaged my address twice in last 2 months with USCIS. One change is from zip code xxxxx to yyyyy and other with in the same zip code. Both the time, there was an soft LUD on my I-485. knock on wood, no RFE's as of yet.

seekerofpeace
04-23-2009, 04:33 PM
I am in similar situation. While my street address will also stay the same the building is same I am just changing floors...going from a 1 bed to 2 bed which I have to and can't avoid.

I checked with USPS and they told me that they do automatic mail forwarding for 3 months and which could be expanded...I am not going to intimate USCIS till I have to...I mean delay it as long as you receive your mails you won't miss a thing + the attorney also gets the RFE and their address is fixed and you will get that anyway.

The postal people can mess up delivery too and i have had friends who did not receive letters from USCIS due to delivery problems .....anything and everything can happen.

Point is to delay the notification to avoid an RFE....but if everything else is fine and legit I won't mind filling up the address change notification.

SoP

rockstart
04-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the response guys. I think it is better to change address because address forwarding does not work with USCIS letters. I have seen the trouble my friend had to go through to get his GC.

seekerofpeace
04-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Hmmm you may be right.....

Well then I'd have to inform them....But still the attorney always gets a copy of an RFE right since I had it through the company attorney....

As far as getting GC is concerned I am still far from that stage.....so there is no chance of missing that....I am not counting on it....

But since I have signed that G28 form ....attorney always gets a copy of the correspondence from USCIS....

All this is to avoid getting an RFE (for extraneous reason like address change) while I am unemployed ...

Correct me if i am wrong.

SoP

maddipati1
04-23-2009, 05:55 PM
i have first hand experience. don't believe what USPS guys tell you. All CIS mail says 'Address Service'. I guess that means only deliver to that address otherwise return to sender.

i too talked to USPS guys, believed what they said and did mail forwarding and AP was returned back to CIS. learned a costly lesson.

AFAIK, people got RFE's when they moved very far, like coast-to-coast, but none for people moved not so far.

my experience with AR-11 was good. but make sure to complete the second step for pending applications.

I am in similar situation. While my street address will also stay the same the building is same I am just changing floors...going from a 1 bed to 2 bed which I have to and can't avoid.

I checked with USPS and they told me that they do automatic mail forwarding for 3 months and which could be expanded...I am not going to intimate USCIS till I have to...I mean delay it as long as you receive your mails you won't miss a thing + the attorney also gets the RFE and their address is fixed and you will get that anyway.

The postal people can mess up delivery too and i have had friends who did not receive letters from USCIS due to delivery problems .....anything and everything can happen.

Point is to delay the notification to avoid an RFE....but if everything else is fine and legit I won't mind filling up the address change notification.

SoP

rockstart
05-04-2009, 10:25 AM
I changed my address using online AR11 on friday May 1st. I checked my case portfolio next day and saw a soft LUD on my I 485 application. Same with my wife. I think it is always better to get the address change done in the system because later it can be a big headache to solve. I will update forum if I hear anything from CIS.

hopelessGC
05-04-2009, 12:40 PM
i have first hand experience. don't believe what USPS guys tell you. All CIS mail says 'Address Service'. I guess that means only deliver to that address otherwise return to sender.

i too talked to USPS guys, believed what they said and did mail forwarding and AP was returned back to CIS. learned a costly lesson.

AFAIK, people got RFE's when they moved very far, like coast-to-coast, but none for people moved not so far.

my experience with AR-11 was good. but make sure to complete the second step for pending applications.

What is the second step you are referring to? I thought only an online AR-11 is good enough.

I will be changing my address next month (same zip code and state).

morchu
05-04-2009, 01:37 PM
AR11 is legal requirement. And that is the first step.

But apparently USCIS system doesnt update your address on pending applications, with a seach by Name. So in the second step, you need to provide the application receipt numbers and update your address on them.

What is the second step you are referring to? I thought only an online AR-11 is good enough.

I will be changing my address next month (same zip code and state).

hopelessGC
05-04-2009, 03:18 PM
AR11 is legal requirement. And that is the first step.

But apparently USCIS system doesnt update your address on pending applications, with a seach by Name. So in the second step, you need to provide the application receipt numbers and update your address on them.

Ok, so basically I need to call customer service and have them update address for all pending cases?

saketh555
05-04-2009, 04:21 PM
I'm moving from MI to TX and need to do something address. Does premium mail forwarding service works for USCIS notices? I know regular mail forwarding doesn't work and they'll be returned to INS. Please let me know if premium service works or not.

Thanks.

morchu
05-04-2009, 04:33 PM
It can be done online also. That is the second step in online process of AR11.
Ok, so basically I need to call customer service and have them update address for all pending cases?

MYGC2008
05-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Yes. Premium service works fine. But after you move change of address needs to be done.
i,e AR11.

I'm moving from MI to TX and need to do something address. Does premium mail forwarding service works for USCIS notices? I know regular mail forwarding doesn't work and they'll be returned to INS. Please let me know if premium service works or not.

Thanks.