PDA

View Full Version : help from india

CantLeaveAmerica
04-19-2009, 11:12 PM
My neighbour from India would like to come to the US to help my wife and me look after our 3 month old baby for few months once my mom-in-law leaves. She was a maid in the Gulf and is currently unemployed in India. She would like to come here to work as a nanny for 5 to 6 months. We know this lady for a long time and she is honest and trustworthy.

Qns I have are:

1. She doesn't have much money in her bank acct and hence how would we show 6 month's worth of bank activity to get her visa from US embassy in India ?

2. She is poor and hence getting an asset valuation certificate from a CA in India would be pointless, isn't it ? What do I do as this also is a requirement at the US embassy?

3. What would be the best thing for her to say at her visa interview and at the POE here in the US as telling them that she is here to help us will not bear well with the immigration officers?

Could one of you provide me with a few suggestions if you've encountered a similar situation?

Thanks in advance...

21stIcon
04-19-2009, 11:28 PM
This is not legal to bring your India neighbor as nanny, better pay for full day care and spend your time after day care.

Do not give any excuses like you gave, there are good and bad ,you picked best employer/wife/house , why not nanny for few months , better use your brain to pick right one like how you to want to circumvent legal process

gc28262
04-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Tourist Visa cannot be used for working in US. That is illegal.

sk2006
04-20-2009, 12:48 AM
My neighbour from India would like to come to the US to help my wife and me look after our 3 month old baby for few months once my mom-in-law leaves. She was a maid in the Gulf and is currently unemployed in India. She would like to come here to work as a nanny for 5 to 6 months. We know this lady for a long time and she is honest and trustworthy.

Qns I have are:

1. She doesn't have much money in her bank acct and hence how would we show 6 month's worth of bank activity to get her visa from US embassy in India ?

2. She is poor and hence getting an asset valuation certificate from a CA in India would be pointless, isn't it ? What do I do as this also is a requirement at the US embassy?

3. What would be the best thing for her to say at her visa interview and at the POE here in the US as telling them that she is here to help us will not bear well with the immigration officers?

What can I do to circumvent the first 2 situations or could one of you provide me with a few suggestions if you've encountered a similar situation?

Thanks in advance...

She will not get visa for this.
As soon as you tell that you want to bring her as Nany(i.e., to work in USA) and want visitor visa, both of you will be kicked out of embassy within no time.

snathan
04-20-2009, 01:50 AM

Qns I have are:

What can I do to circumvent the first 2 situations or could one of you provide me with a few suggestions if you've encountered a similar situation?

Thanks in advance...

[edit] United States
The United States au pair program offers qualified young people the opportunity to live and study in the U.S. for one or two years in exchange for providing up to 45 hours of childcare per week.[citation needed] The au pair program was recently granted permission from the U.S. Department of State to offer a second year extension au pair program (6, 9 or 12 months), as well as a summer au pair program.[citation needed]

At the same time, the au pairs are required to complete an educational component of six semester hours of academic credit or its equivalent.[citation needed] At the end of one year, au pairs generally return to their home country, unless they and their host families choose to extend their stay for a further 6, 9 or 12 months.[citation needed] Alternatively, the au pair can choose to extend her period in the US with a different family.[citation needed] Most au pairs choose a family in a different part of the country, allowing them to have a different experience.[citation needed]

The rules of the Au Pair Program in the US are: au pairs are provided a private bedroom, meals, remuneration tied to the minimum wage ($176.85 per week, rising to $195.75 on 24 July 2009[1]), 1 days off weekly plus a full weekend off each month, two weeks' paid vacation and the first $500 toward the costs of required course work to be completed at an accredited institution of higher education in order to satisfy the requirements of the educational component of the program.[citation needed] Au pairs are not to work more than 10 hours per day or 45 hours per week, and are not to serve as general housekeepers or assume responsibility for household management.[citation needed]

The US EduCare Au Pair Program is also available for families with school-age children. In this program, the au pair works a lower number of hours (not more than 10 hours a day and not more than 30 hours a week) for a weekly minimum wage of $132.64 (raising to $146.81 on 24 July 2009 in accordance with the federal minimum wage increases).[1] The family pays $1000 in educational expenses, and the au pair is required to complete 12 hours of academic credit.[citation needed]

Au pairs placed with families who have children under two years old must have at least 200 hours of child care experience with infants under two.[citation needed] Au pairs may only be placed in a family with an infant under three months old if a parent or other adult caregiver is also home and fully responsible for the infant.[citation needed]

The Au Pair Program is administered by the US Department of State. Participating families and au pairs must work with one of the currently 12 approved agencies. Au pairs enter the United States on a J-1 visa.[citation needed]

[edit] Basic Application Criteria
Potential au pairs must:

be aged 18-26
have professional or practical childcare experience for at least 200 hours if looking after a child under 2
agree to commit to a full year’s stay in the USA and be prepared to provide up to 45 hours of childcare a week
have completed their secondary school education.
be proficient in spoken English
have no criminal record
There are twelve sponsoring au pair agencies designated by the State Department.[2] Host families typically pay these agencies an application fee and a program fee which varies from $5,500 to $7,200, depending on the agency used. The program fees cover expenses related to the arrival of the au pair and compliance with regulations governing the program. These include, but are not limited to, airfare, medical insurance, mandatory 32-hour education session on child development and safety and other expenses. Au pairs pay fees which vary depending on the US agency and the home country agency they use (if they do not apply directly to the US agency).

so if your neighbour qualify for this...try for the same. Otherwise just forget it.

http://www.lexisnexis.com/practiceareas/immigration/pdfs/web885.pdf

Check this and might be very helpful

http://www.murthy.com/news/ukvisaop.html

gcisadawg
04-20-2009, 02:50 AM
Try to see if you can get her thru employment visa....There are agricultural visas available. There might be special visas for domestic maids. You may have to pay social security, unemploymnet insurance and all those stuff..

If that is difficult, try sending your wife and Kid to India for few months.

But dont do what you you wrote..

--GCisaDawg

hopelessGC
04-20-2009, 11:49 AM
I agree, try the alternatives suggested by snathan and gcisdawg.

Bringing some one to work on tourist visa is illegal and I would advise against it.

There are qualified nannies available in the US to do the job for you. You can also get the licensed kind depending on which state you live in. Of course, they are not cheap :rolleyes: We were looking for a nanny for our baby as well and decided that my wife would just stay at home and take care of the baby. Only a mother can provide the proper care a 3 month old baby requires. If this is an option for you then you can look into it.

dealsnet
04-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Don't discuss anything illegal things. Bringing people in tourist visa and make them do your domestic work is highly illegal, you and the other person will be in trouble. You can find somebody here, or bring parents, otherwise send them home. Don't expect to get any advise from here for illegal activities. Some people managed to bring domestic help, or get some body here over staying their visit visa. All these are illegal. Some are using these people as bonded labor(slaves). read this linkhttp://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/05/23/national/main2841898.shtml

Qns I have are:

Could one of you provide me with a few suggestions if you've encountered a similar situation?

Thanks in advance...

dealsnet
04-20-2009, 02:32 PM
(AP) A millionaire couple accused of keeping two Indonesian women as slaves in their luxurious Long Island home and abusing them for years has been indicted on federal slavery charges.

Varsha Mahender Sabhnani, 35, and her husband, Mahender Murlidhar Sabhnani, 51, operate a worldwide perfume business with factories in Singapore and Bahrain.

The two were arrested last week after one of their servants was found wandering outside a doughnut shop on Long Island, wearing only pants and a towel. The woman was believed to have fled the home when she took the trash out the night before.

The couple pleaded not guilty in U.S. District Court. A magistrate judge set bail at $3.5 million and imposed home detention with electronic monitoring.

An indictment handed up Tuesday night formally charged with them with two counts of forced labor and added two counts of harboring illegal residents.

Charles A. Ross, who represents Varsha Sabhnani, has said the couple traveled extensively and that the two Indonesian women were free to leave whenever they wished. He previously described them as "model citizens" who "only want to clear their names."

Friends and relatives indicated the two would be willing to post bail, but as of Wednesday morning, they remained in custody.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Demitri Jones called the allegations "truly a case of modern-day slavery."

The women, prosecutors said, were subjected to beatings, had scalding water thrown on them and were forced to repeatedly climb up stairs as punishment for perceived misdeeds. In one case, prosecutors said, one of the women was forced to eat 25 hot chili peppers at one time.

One of the women also told authorities they were forced to sleep on mats in the kitchen and were fed so little that they had to steal food.

The women legally arrived in the United States on B-1 visas in 2002; the Sabhnanis then confiscated their passports and refused to let them leave their home, authorities said. Identified in court papers as Samirah and Nona, the women said they were promised payments of $200 and $100 a month, but federal prosecutors said they were never given money directly. One of the victims' daughters living in Indonesia was sent $100 a month, prosecutors said.

They have since been cared for by Catholic Charities, according to a spokesman for Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Marphad
04-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Au Pair is the best choice I think.