PDA

View Full Version : HR 3012 action items for the week of oct 17

pappu
10-17-2011, 08:53 AM
Dear Members,

Firstly, thank you for making calls last week to members of Congress especially the House Judiciary committee. We are getting good feedback numbers on the call volume. As of Thursday last week, the bill introduction has been delayed by 10-14 days. The House comes back in session on the 24th. It could not get introduced in the committee last week due to lack time as the debate on preceding bills ran into over-time in the Judiciary committee. But there is no doubt that the bill H.R. 3012 is going to be introduced in next 10-14 days.
We need to continue phone calls and emails. The message is slightly different for this week. Let us not be complacent now and let us continue with our already impactful phone campaign.

Actions to be performed this week:

A. Continue with current Action Item numbers 1 through 5 listed on IV's website on the earlier thread here (http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum85-action-items-for-everyone/2484855-h-r-3012-urgent-action-items-letters-phone-calls-and-fundraising.html#post2919608).

For new message/talking points on action item # 4 (Phone calls to Congress), refer to rebuttal talking points at the end of this email and use them if needed. These 5 points are rebuttal to claims made by those opposing H.R. 3102. THIS IS IMPORTANT. Click here for directions and perform action items 1, 4 and 5. Read rebuttal points below before performing action item 4 (phone calls to congress).

Please provide the feedback from your calls to lawmakers ONLY at this link -->Grassroots - Feedback Form (http://immigrationvoice.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=98)

Please do not share any feedback on the open forum

B. Additional Action Items effective immediately

ACTION ITEM #6
Meeting Local District Offices of House of Representatives - After having called the Representatives last week, it is now time to step up the efforts.
IV is now coordinating meetings for our members with local district offices. This is an extremely critical effort.
- Find your local Representative here
- Please volunteer to participate in a meeting with your local district office to stress for support for HR3012. IV will provide you with all the materials and guidance. All you have to do is come forward to help with this critical effort.
Email district@immigrationvoice.org with your name, email, phone # and location to get the process started. We will send you directions.

ACTION ITEM #7

Vote in Support of the bill in an online poll on OpenCongress to make sure that Congress knows there is an overwhelming support for this bill. Click here and support H.R. 3012 (http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h3012/show).

Additional Notes
Use these points if you run into staffer who has additional questions about H.R. 3012. Please be polite.

(1) A fair system : HR 3012 makes sure that through a first-come-first-serve system, an Engineer from India, an Engineer from China and an Engineer from Australia – all wait the same amount of time in one single queue. The current system of immigration is not first-come-first-serve. As evidenced by current wait times published by the State Department, some immigrants are leap-frogging ahead of others even though they have same college degree and same type of job. Imagine a Wal-Mart with 50 different check-out counters for customers from 50 different states. Customers from Idaho and Rhode Island will be zipping through. Customers from New York, Texas and California will have long queues and will wait forever. All customers have same amount of business to offer but some wait more and others wait less. That is what is going on in the current immigration system. H.R. 3012 makes sure that all check-out counters accept customers from all states and every check-out counter processes people on first-come-first-serve basis. That’s how a competitive business would treat their customers. And that’s how a competitive nation should treat its skilled immigrants. First come first serve.

(2) Widespread support from everyone : HR 3012 has support of half a million skilled employees like myself, US Chamber of Commerce, Compete America, Microsoft, Google, Oracle, various trade groups like BSA, SIA, ITIC.

(3) Not a sudden change or jolt to the system; slowly phased in: HR 3012 will slowly phase-in the first-come first serve system over a period of 3 years. It will not jolt the system will a sudden change, even though this change is a minor technical fix. None of the current applicants in the system already will be affected. 3 years from today, the new applicants will face a fair and equitable first-come-first-serve system.

(4) Diversity in American Immigration is safe and secure. HR 3012 addresses only a small subset of total US immigration – which is skilled based employment immigration. It accounts for about 15% of total immigration in this country. H.R. 3012 will eliminate per-country quota system from this category and make it a first-come first-serve system. The other 85% of American immigration system will continue to have provisions for per-country diversity.

(5) H.R. 3012 does not increase the net immigration into the country. It keeps the total number of immigration and total number of green-cards the same as it is today. It is a technical fix within the current numbers and current levels.

Please use this thread for additional discussions on the action items. Use ONLY the feedback form (action item#5) to provide any specific feedback from your phone calls.
Please take action without delays. Just 5 more weeks to go.

Thanks,
Team IV

forever_waiting
10-17-2011, 02:30 PM
the message is clear. lets continue the phone calls this week along with other action items.
I made calls multiple calls last week like several of you. will continue this week and get more friends/colleages to call as well. this is our only chance. several staffers i called appreciated the volume of calls and stated support...we cannot let the pressure down at this crucial stage.
also signing up for district level meetings now.

thomachan72
10-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Will keep calling. Great job so far IV!

starscream
10-17-2011, 02:39 PM
For those who have not yet called

..one of the office staffers I called said they have been getting lots of calls regarding this bill HR 3012 (did not specify for or against) and he said will the call to the tally ..since he mentions adding to the tally means THEY ARE COUNTING THE CALLS ..so PLEASE CALL

gs1968
10-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Keep up the good work! Although this does not impact me anymore, I have plenty of friends and relatives who are waiting and it would be great if they got their GCs soon so thay can move on with their lives. One point I would like to bring up about this post is that although the bill seems to imply a targeted EB reform bill,there are provisions in the bill to increase the cap for FB immigrants also and so there is a greater impact on the overall immigration diversity profile. I really wish that Zoe Lofgren was allowed to co-sponsor this bill instead of introducing her own bill.The Bill HR 3012 suffers from not having any co-sponsors and a legislation of this magnitude has a much better chance overall if there was widespread and bipartisan support.Lets Hope and Pray!

Soltan
10-17-2011, 06:36 PM
The additional action items are great. Thanks Pappu.

Rebutting the claims from those who are ROW countries and are opposing, with solid examples. You can look up their arguments by doing a simple web search.

I was already giving examples, but the grocery store analogy is even better. I will do my part again this week.

actaccord
10-17-2011, 06:55 PM
We need to do better on voting in opencongress.org....so far I could see only 122 votes in favor of it....

Please signup for meeting your congressman/congresswoman...it will be great opportunity to meet them and share your support and frustrations (in nice way) to lawmakers. When they see real person (instead of email and calls) that will give major impact which nothing can compensate.

sonny151
10-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID # 49S63955CX0935139)

Business Name:
Immigration Voice (The recipient of this payment is Verified)
Email:
donations@immigrationvoice.org

lostcause2007
10-17-2011, 10:03 PM
cmon folks. there were very few msgs here today stating that "made calls" or "completed action items". keep the energy up and keep calling those offices! this bill is the only hope for us!

thomachan72
10-18-2011, 05:00 AM
Keep this one on top

thomachan72
10-18-2011, 05:02 AM
We need to do better on voting in opencongress.org....so far I could see only 122 votes in favor of it....

Please signup for meeting your congressman/congresswoman...it will be great opportunity to meet them and share your support and frustrations (in nice way) to lawmakers. When they see real person (instead of email and calls) that will give major impact which nothing can compensate.

something was wrong with the website. It does not register the vote.

actaccord
10-18-2011, 07:52 AM
and it is working for me...

You don't see anything other than count increase may be you could have missed it.

Try again it won't add-up if you already voted for it...

something was wrong with the website. It does not register the vote.

h1techSlave
10-18-2011, 07:58 AM
My email to district@immigrationvoice.org got an out of office response.

I was planning to me Boscoe Bartlett (6th Dist, Maryland)

actaccord
10-18-2011, 08:51 AM
This should have been fixed by yesterday....did you got OOF response today?

My email to district@immigrationvoice.org got an out of office response.

I was planning to me Boscoe Bartlett (6th Dist, Maryland)

smuggymba
10-18-2011, 09:12 AM
This should have been fixed by yesterday....did you got OOF response today?

I got an OOF but then someone replied back.

smuggymba
10-18-2011, 09:38 AM
First question when I called a few offices this morning - Are you calling in support or opposition.

Pick up the phone and call; we're the direct beneficiaries of this bill. Takes 10-15 mins each day.

jungalee43
10-18-2011, 11:03 AM
I have acompleted action item 7. Voting on open congress shows how pathetic the response from IV members is.
For item #6, contacting local rep here is not going to help much. Earlier contacts with his office have evoked very poor (thanks for contacting me on illegal immigration etc.) or no response on matters of immigration.
I will be making calls during lunch time. Charging my cell phone for that.

smuggymba
10-18-2011, 11:11 AM
I have acompleted action item 7. Voting on open congress shows how pathetic the response from IV members is.
For item #6, contacting local rep here is not going to help much. Earlier contacts with his office have evoked very poor (thanks for contacting me on illegal immigration etc.) or no response on matters of immigration.
I will be making calls during lunch time. Charging my cell phone for that.

I just voted on opencongress. Please do this ASAP. We need visibility from every point.

Suva
10-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Called 8 republicans today morning. I would call more later.

Thanks

howzatt
10-18-2011, 11:23 AM
I just voted on opencongress. Please do this ASAP. We need visibility from every point.

done!

smuggymba
10-18-2011, 11:46 AM
All you need to do is create an ID and then click on the GREEN CHECK on the top right. Your name, email doesn't show up.

Why only 240 votes in favor? Please vote on open congress.

tsnaresh
10-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Thank you

100mya
10-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks you

pappu
10-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Please do not post specific updates on the bill on the forum. Do not even post the feedback you get from lawmaker office on the forum. There is a form created for it. The link to the form is in action item post. It will hurt our own effort if updates a posted on public forum. It is better you transfer that info to info at immigration voice.org instead of posting on the forum. There is a lot at stake and we are being careful posting updates on the forum. Pls control your emotions when you hear any updates.

manchala
10-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Please keep calling.

dexter
10-18-2011, 02:48 PM
I was of the impression that calling reps office is going to be a very formal and time consuming process, boy was I wrong. It is a very easy and painless process. each call lasts between 20seconds to minute and the staffers are very polite.

The IV members who haven't called yet, please do. you will also be pleasantly surprised how smooth the calls go and you will be eagerly looking forward to talk to them the next day :-)

The7zen
10-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Just did this.

starscream
10-18-2011, 03:24 PM
Finished my round of calls for today - posted feedback

greencard.wait
10-18-2011, 04:14 PM
I hope everyone sending messages too

Contact Congress - OpenCongress (http://www.opencongress.org/contact_congress_letters/new?bill=112-h3012&position=tracking)

rkay
10-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Completed today's round of calls.
Completed feedback. Grass Roots Feedback Form (http://immigrationvoice.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=98)
Voted on opencongress.org Opencongress HR 3012 (http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h3012/show)

sachuin23
10-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Excellent post by a friend
H.R. 3012 for dummies - and what you can do - aditya's posterous (http://adityaramgopal.com/hr-3012-for-dummies-and-what-you-can-do)

hari_babu22
10-18-2011, 05:05 PM
I would like to attend the efforts for H.R 3012, in LA region, below are my details. please let me know the date so that I can take off for that day.

IV user id: hari_babu22

I have sent an email to district@immigrationvoice.org with my email and phone number as well

actaccord
10-18-2011, 05:42 PM
there is some progress in opencongress.org from 122 as of morning we got 350 at this point.

We can do much better here...all it takes is register and cast your vote as simple as that.

Also please sign-up for new action item which is very critical at this point of time.

jungalee43
10-18-2011, 06:16 PM
I wonder if 200 odd people voted with some clicks on opencongress, how many actually made calls? 10? 20? Certainly not more than that......

pkamthekar
10-18-2011, 07:13 PM
I just voted on opencongress.
Send email to volunteer, waiting for instructions.

Come on guys, this is the time.

santiwar
10-18-2011, 11:58 PM
Voted on open congress.org

Madhuri
10-19-2011, 12:12 AM
Voted on opencongress.org

navkap
10-19-2011, 02:35 AM
Done.

navkap
10-19-2011, 02:40 AM
Count me in too for Los Angeles, CA

I would like to attend the efforts for H.R 3012, in LA region, below are my details. please let me know the date so that I can take off for that day.

IV user id: hari_babu22

I have sent an email to district@immigrationvoice.org with my email and phone number as well

actaccord
10-19-2011, 06:19 AM
spread the word...400votes in opencongress.org is not impressive for 200k+ people affected with current EB system.

Please join with on new Action Items.....each and everyone has to their part to make it grand success.

nosightofgc
10-19-2011, 06:20 AM
When are we planning to meeet the congress person? I sent an email showing my interest and have not received any communication yet.

Thanks
Rajesh

gc_on_demand
10-19-2011, 07:53 AM
spread the word...400votes in opencongress.org is not impressive for 200k+ people affected with current EB system.

Please join with on new Action Items.....each and everyone has to their part to make it grand success.

I think those site don't lobby Congress based on votes they get either none of congressman I talked asked about if my vote exists on those sites.

Unless its a new action item I would ask not to spend time on those sites.

coopheal
10-19-2011, 08:32 AM
I think those site don't lobby Congress based on votes they get either none of congressman I talked asked about if my vote exists on those sites.

Unless its a new action item I would ask not to spend time on those sites.

It is a new action item.

green_mile
10-19-2011, 09:08 AM
At the end these calls to the law makes will make big difference. Please call the list if you don't do that already. If you already called go ahead and call one more time.

green_mile
10-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Please let me know , we can go ahead together and meet them. You can let me know in this forum and I will call you if you are interested to go with me.

starscream
10-19-2011, 10:08 AM
All,

When i Started my round of calls this morning the staffer in the first office I called immediately recognized the bill # as soon as I said "Good morning , I am calling representing immigrationvoice"

...This should be enough motivation please start calling

pappu
10-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Even if you have called once, please call twice and multiple times each day depending on your time. We need to succeed. Failure is not an option.

If you have not contributed, please contribute urgently so that we can put in more resources for advocacy. It is very important that we have both strong grassroots effort as well as advocacy in DC.

Suva
10-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Called 14 republican congressmen again. Sent the email messages through OpenCongress.

I have already asked all my friends to call on regular basis.

ultimatebobcat
10-19-2011, 11:40 AM
I have voted in opencongress with 3 email ids. I have sent messages to my congressman.

veeru123
10-19-2011, 12:19 PM
I have sent personal messages with my own story via open congress and popvox. I am in Ohio currently, who should I call about this bill?

actaccord
10-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Call every judiciary committee members...daily...without fail.

All it takes is 30mins, hope everyone can spend 30mins daily for next week or two so that we get required critical mass to push this bill.

Please take it seriously in calling judiciary committee members on daily basis. If we forget they definitely will forget our problem.

I have sent personal messages with my own story via open congress and popvox. I am in Ohio currently, who should I call about this bill?

starscream
10-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Please see action items at the beginning of the thread. Please call, calling is what makes the difference

KiranKashi
10-19-2011, 02:23 PM
I called all the republicans again today, during lunch time.

ajaysri
10-19-2011, 02:44 PM
I called about 25 congress men/women offices today. some positive feedback I got from 4 offices:
1) going to support
2) familiar with the bill
3) already taking into consideration
4) leaning on passing.

Thanks,
Ajaysri

TeddyKoochu
10-19-2011, 02:44 PM
pls vote here too for HR 3012

WashingtonWatch.com - H.R. 3012, The Fairness for High-Skilled Immigrants Act (http://www.washingtonwatch.com/bills/show/112_HR_3012.html)

supporters are lesser than opposers

Just voted, now the votes for are higher than against.

starscream
10-19-2011, 03:13 PM
PLEASE DO NOT POST FEEDBACK ON OPEN FORUM. Please follow IV Leadership instructions. Please use feedback form (its in original action items thread in action Item # 4)

[QUOTE=ajaysri;2949943]I called about 25 congress men/women offices today.

needhelp!
10-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Great lots of votes from IV members.

Please take the important step of meeting with representatives as that will really have a big impact:

Email your zip/phone to district@immigrationvoice.org and IV will co-ordinate the meetings in your area.

rkay
10-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Made the calls for today.
Submitted feedback form.
ImmigrationVoice.org - Grass Roots Feedback Form (http://immigrationvoice.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=98)

navkap
10-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Called around 30 --will call tomorrow as well.

bailoor
10-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Just now did contribution of $100. The receipt number for this payment is: 5225-3755-5072-4987.

Also, I sent emails to the senators and congressmen. I got positive response from some of them.

GO IV GO.....

I was one of the member who was part of Flower campaign( 2007) and also attended the Washington DC rally. I was happy to see everyone's enthu, positive energy all around which made it very successful.

I wish and hope that this will also be the GRAND SUCCESS.

Hurry.... keep up all your good work !!!!.

braindrain
10-19-2011, 07:46 PM
I was doing my part in support of the bill and finally went to vote for the bill @ opencongress.org and noticed that we have only 481 approvals in support of the bill. Not sure if people were busy doing the action items and did not have time to vote online OR is it just that majority of the folks are just viewing this thread and not taking any action and planning to be free-riders.

Considering the total people waiting in the backlog(exclude the dependents) and total registered immigration voice not sure if 481 count as of 7:49PM on 10/19 is a good number. If I were the senator and if i see 481 votes, bit sure if I would get the importance of the bill and support it has.

I am not picking on anyone here, but just wanted to emphasize the need to take part in the action items and voting the bill to support the same. We have an opportunity here and lets make sure we do our part.

braindrain
10-19-2011, 07:51 PM
I was doing my part in support of the bill and finally went to vote for the bill @ opencongress.org and noticed that we have only 481 approvals in support of the bill. Not sure if people were busy doing the action items and did not have time to vote online OR is it just that majority of the folks are just viewing this thread and not taking any action and planning to be free-riders.

Considering the total people waiting in the backlog(exclude the dependents) and total registered immigration voice not sure if 481 count as of 7:49PM on 10/19 is a good number. If I were the senator and if i see 481 votes, bit sure if I would get the importance of the bill and support it has.

I am not picking on anyone here, but just wanted to emphasize the need to take part in the action items and voting the bill to support the same. We have an opportunity here and lets make sure we do our part.

contributed $100.

Paypal Transaction ID for this payment is: 6D3991395G677832N.

sganny
10-19-2011, 10:30 PM

Folks,
If you are confused as to how to vote yes for the bill in Opencongress.org, you have to click on the green tick symbol under the label, "Vote for this bill". it will ask you to register but the registration page has only 3 or 4 questions. Please take a few minutes out to vote on this very important bill. We can definitely do much better than 490 yes votes!

looivy
10-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Guys,

It is very simple. Just go ahead and enter basic info and vote Yes.

C'mon you must have registered at million a coupon and deals sites so registering on one more site is not a hardship. People opposing the bill are voting No so your Yes vote goes in crushing their No vote.

Please do it for your own good.

Cheers.

coopheal
10-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Thanks all for calling. Please do not put your feedback on the open forum. Please use the feedback form IV has.

ramgres
10-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Done calling ... will try do call again this afternoon

Suva
10-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Done calling all the democrats in the morning. Would try to call others later.

prabcpa
10-20-2011, 11:20 AM
I caled all the judiciary members and personally emailed all of my freinds and requested them to do the same. And contributed $100 for the cause.
It feels good after doing this. :-)

Thanks

manchala
10-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Please keep calling. This is our only chance.

actaccord
10-20-2011, 11:25 AM
continue the calls which is key for this bill to pass...

Please don't slow down...each day should have at least 1 round of call....

somu_2
10-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Created an ID and Voted the bill on this link. 515 votes in support now.

H.R.3012: Fairness for High-Skilled Immigrants Act - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress (http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h3012/comments)

thomachan72
10-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Created an ID and Voted the bill on this link. 515 votes in support now.

H.R.3012: Fairness for High-Skilled Immigrants Act - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress (http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h3012/comments)

Added my vote. Its now 520.

thomachan72
10-20-2011, 12:53 PM
H.R.3012 is again in the Full committee Markup now included in 10/25/2011 and also on 10/27/2011

How do you know this?

rakesh76
10-21-2011, 12:20 PM
I Added my Vote.

h1techSlave
10-21-2011, 03:38 PM
You have to click on the green tick sign and just create an account. Takes 10 seconds.

Guys,

It is very simple. Just go ahead and enter basic info and vote Yes.

C'mon you must have registered at million a coupon and deals sites so registering on one more site is not a hardship. People opposing the bill are voting No so your Yes vote goes in crushing their No vote.

Please do it for your own good.

Cheers.

manchala
10-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Keep calling in support more and more as we have some opposition.

coopheal
10-24-2011, 01:18 AM
Thanks for completing this action items.
Please follow the action item for Week Oct 24 on the thread.
(HR 3012: Action Items for the week of Oct 24)HR 3012: Action Items for the week of Oct 24.. (http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum85-action-items-for-everyone/thread2524933-hr-3012-action-items-for-the-week-of-oct-24-a-new-post.html)