PDA

View Full Version : preferred airlines for indian senior citizens

a1b2c3
04-14-2009, 10:11 PM
If senior citizens have to travel frequently from India to the Bay area (California) what is the most preferred airlines?
Points of comparisons would be pricing (frequent flyer discounts), leg room, optimum layover, wheelchair facility, good in-flight attendance, food and so on...the experience with the emirates has been ok thus far.
emirates didn't provide the wheel chair at the airport although it was made available in india and sfo. also the leg from dubai to sfo is very long.

please share your experiences and provide your feedback.

ilikekilo
04-14-2009, 10:45 PM
If senior citizens have to travel frequently from India to the Bay area (California) what is the most preferred airlines?
Points of comparisons would be pricing (frequent flyer discounts), leg room, optimum layover, wheelchair facility, good in-flight attendance, food and so on...the experience with the emirates has been ok thus far.
emirates didn't provide the wheel chair at the airport although it was made available in india and sfo. also the leg from dubai to sfo is very long.

If you could mention what place in INDIA (bangalore, delhi, bombay??) , folks could better answer your question..

Karthikthiru
04-15-2009, 01:12 AM
Jet airways is good. My parents are coming in May with Jet Airways. Lot of my friends has told that Jet is good with leg space and very good service. They specifically said about how friendly they are with elderly people coming travelling from India. The only issue is - they fly till Newark only. But when you book they can take to any city in US.

I just want to let you know that everyone who have used Jet airways has told very good about their international service. Opinions may differ with different people

aachoo
04-15-2009, 01:18 AM

Try Singapore Airlines. You cannot escape a 12 to 16 hour second leg if you fly over the Pacific, but Singapore service is quite good. Cathay has been decent as well.

krish2005
04-15-2009, 02:00 AM
Jet airways is good. My parents are coming in May with Jet Airways. Lot of my friends has told that Jet is good with leg space and very good service. They specifically said about how friendly they are with elderly people coming travelling from India. The only issue is - they fly till Newark only. But when you book they can take to any city in US.

I just want to let you know that everyone who have used Jet airways has told very good about their international service. Opinions may differ with different people

Hi,

Jet airways is good. But they have discontinued service to bay area recently. But if you choose them, they fly only from east coast. The cost works out same with jet+local to east coast. Only thing you could avoid is long lay off. Service is excellent and indian food. In fact they have the indian spout in the toilets which is useful for elderly patients who require water in toilets for cleaning purposes.

digmetalq
04-15-2009, 03:14 AM
Cathay Pacific I'am sure, because the last time i travelled from SFO to Mumbai and back to SFO, mothers were holding their babies trying to pacify their babies, it was like all the babies were crying in symphony one after another, not a single passenger complaining, better than any other airline, if you have a family of children and elderly, I also got up to strech my legs, not one flight attendant came and asked me to seat at my designated space. you feel like home. That is my experience.

chaukas
04-15-2009, 03:28 AM
My parents travelled both on Cathay and JAL. Cathay has better food , but the flight to SFO is really long. They had used JAL before which has approx 8-10 hrs for each leg. Also, on the return , there is a days halt , so they provide a hotel. My parents took a small tour of the area too.

rajeshalex
04-15-2009, 09:56 AM
First thing, price , leg space, comfort & food ...All 4 it is difficult to get the best.

Cheapest would be air India. However service/food is bad. Also they keep changing schedule.

Singapore airlines/Cathay pacific service/food is good. Leg space is also better and
priced slightly higher than AIr India.

So I recommend these 2 (Singapore/Cathay)

( PM me if you are looking for air tickets from India)

Rajesh

rockstart
04-15-2009, 10:03 AM
I think Air India is the best for elderly people.

txh1b
04-15-2009, 11:40 AM
I think Air India is the best for elderly people.

I second that. The food is certainly tolerable than the European carriers and the familiar desi faces help the elderly not to hesitate and ask for anything they need.

a1b2c3
04-15-2009, 09:12 PM
thanks guys for the info. I agree Cathay is probably the best option. I am very skeptical about Air India. Have been hearing negative comments since I was a kid, when my dad a was a frequent overseas business traveller. Things might have changed lately but the bad impressions linger on.

JAL looks promising too.

My mom doesn't need the nozzle-bum-wash as much as she needs to sit on the toilet because she cannot squat due to bad knees. And that is available with every airline I imagine.

I agree though the "bidget" would a plus for some seniors and honestly I think its also cleaner.

In our case, however, we need leg room, wheel chair facility (very imp), veggie indian food (the food on emirates wasn't up to the mark) and decent service.

thanks again to everyone for sharing their experiences.

vjmjaan
04-15-2009, 10:17 PM
I found the ticket prices are comparable. The food was good. Not too much layover
and very good service.

They are very courteous and helpful in air and at Seoul airport.

vikki76
04-15-2009, 10:19 PM
I agree to every comment made about Cathay /Singopore Airlines- but what are people's experiences with Emirates?