PDA

View Full Version : Georgia State Senator Chip Rogers talks sense on NPR

tinuverma
04-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Hello Guys,
I was listening to BBC news on NPR a few minutes ago. They had some lady there who was advocating legalization of illegal immigrants in this country - some 12 mil of them. Senator Chip Rogers countered that argument saying that we need to award legal immigrants, give them the GC and citizenship and discourage illegal immigrants.
I will search NPR later and post a link to the podcast (or you can search for BBC news that was on air at 3:15 PM central on 4/14/2009 - today).
Core team members, do you think contacting this senator would be of any help?
Thanks
D

Nil
04-14-2009, 06:01 PM
^^^^^^

snathan
04-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Hello Guys,
I was listening to BBC news on NPR a few minutes ago. They had some lady there who was advocating legalization of illegal immigrants in this country - some 12 mil of them. Senator Chip Rogers countered that argument saying that we need to award legal immigrants, give them the GC and citizenship and discourage illegal immigrants.
I will search NPR later and post a link to the podcast (or you can search for BBC news that was on air at 3:15 PM central on 4/14/2009 - today).
Thanks
D

Thanks for posting this...Yes, we should contact the senator and present our issues and try to get help from him. We need to prepare a list of senators/congressman who are supporting legal immigrants and try to get some leverage on that.

purgan
04-14-2009, 06:26 PM
for those of you don't know, chip rogers (just google him) is a major foe of illegal immigration in the state of Gerogia.....but that doesn't mean he's a friend of legal immigrants either.

Usually anti-immigrants pose as friends of legals and then betray the legals in the back when time comes to help. Its just lip service.
Remember Sen Jeff Sessions saying we need skilled immigrants, should place value on education, etc....then undermining visa recapture and H1B legislation.

GCKaMaara
04-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Hello Guys,
Thanks
D

Nice post. I think we should contact this senator.

prince_waiting
04-14-2009, 06:33 PM
He is a GA state senator, I don't think his views are going to help us in Washington D.C.

tinuverma
04-14-2009, 07:27 PM
He is already on record saying we should help legal immigrants....if he shys away, we can use that and ask him why he is flipping. right?
Also, if we are willing to contact Kal Penn and others who have even little access to insiders in DC, we have a senator here who is saying pretty much what we are, so why not take him up on his word and start? Worst case, we will be where we are; best case, things get noticed and action is taken.
Just because someone has voted one way in the past does not mean we cannot hope he will vote the other way next time. Remember, he is a politician.

qasleuth
04-14-2009, 07:44 PM
He is already on record saying we should help legal immigrants....if he shys away, we can use that and ask him why he is flipping. right?
Also, if we are willing to contact Kal Penn and others who have even little access to insiders in DC, we have a senator here who is saying pretty much what we are, so why not take him up on his word and start? Worst case, we will be where we are; best case, things get noticed and action is taken.
Just because someone has voted one way in the past does not mean we cannot hope he will vote the other way next time. Remember, he is a politician.

like prince_waiting pointed out, Chip Rogers is a state senator and not a US Senator. Apart from that, if you go visit his website or google for the senator on immigration, he seems to have moved on. I have not seen anything recently about immigration. The response on NPR seems more like an immediate snap reply than a stand.

akred
04-15-2009, 01:54 AM
Before people get all excited, please note that even Tom Tancredo supports legal immigration. By the standards of American politics those who support legal immigration over illegal immigration usually do it to promote anti-immigration policies.