PDA

View Full Version : Skilled workers to wait for 70 years to get GC?

gcandgc
10-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Skilled Indians may have to wait 70 years for US green card! - Rediff.com Business (http://www.rediff.com/business/slide-show/slide-show-1-skilled-indian-will-have-to-wait-70-years-for-green-card/20111005.htm)

A highly skilled Indian sponsored today for employment-based immigrant visa would have to wait 70 years to receive a green card, say two new reports released by the National Foundation for American Policy, an Arlington, Virginia-based policy research group.
The reports conclude that exempting from green card quotas international students with an advanced degree in science, technology, engineering or mathematics would keep talented individuals from leaving the United States and "reap significant benefits to the competitiveness of US companies and to the economy overall".

The reports - Keeping Talent in America and Waiting and More Waiting: America's Family and Employment-Based Immigration System - feature first of their kind estimates of the wait times for immigrants by country and category and finds exempting highly educated immigrants in science-related fields from green card quotas will allow employers to retain the best talent from around the world.

The estimates are based on examining data from the US Department of State and US Citizenship and Immigration Services, as well as consulting with attorneys and government officials.

-----------

GCANDGC

pcs
10-05-2011, 03:10 PM
I had been telling this for last 6 years to guys and everyone thought, I was crazy and some one will fix it...

I took 10 years in EB 2 and screwed up my professional life for ever. Now I am getting offers exceeding 250 K but can not take it becaus I am stuck with my kids high school education

And the funny thing is.... most of you will consider my situation lot better than yours

I am 50 years and by the time, I am free from kids etc... my professional life will be over.

Guys... either ACCEPT the sitiuation OR.... CHANGE the situation... no point crying and NOT doing anything...

ghost
10-05-2011, 03:22 PM
I had been telling this for last 6 years to guys and everyone thought, I was crazy and some one will fix it...

I took 10 years in EB 2 and screwed up my professional life for ever. Now I am getting offers exceeding 250 K but can not take it becaus I am stuck with my kids high school education

And the funny thing is.... most of you will consider my situation lot better than yours

I am 50 years and by the time, I am free from kids etc... my professional life will be over.

Guys... either ACCEPT the sitiuation OR.... CHANGE the situation... no point crying and NOT doing anything...

Folks have come a long way in the last 5 years - they are signing online petitions, they are predicting so that they can plan their next 70 years, the list goes on...the general guiding principle is that they'll do anything but participate in IV advocacy...pathetic!

Chandini
10-05-2011, 03:37 PM
[B] I have been waiting for 9 years now. NO Green card yet. I have been in US for more than 15 years.
Support Representative Chaffetz (R-UT) introduced H.R. 3012, the Fairness for High Skilled Immigrants Act. Its is the ONLY hope for us.

bpratap
10-05-2011, 03:44 PM
[B] I have been waiting for 9 years now. NO Green card yet. I have been in US for more than 15 years.
Support Representative Chaffetz (R-UT) introduced H.R. 3012, the Fairness for High Skilled Immigrants Act. Its is the ONLY hope for us.

N number of bills comes n goes every year, it will never even see the floor of the house. so don't rely on this Bill.

Chandini
10-05-2011, 04:00 PM
What is the option for EB3 people? No light at the end of the tunnel. :-(

smuggymba
10-05-2011, 04:13 PM
What is the option for EB3 people? No light at the end of the tunnel. :-(

Only congress and advocacy can help EB3.

mgmanoj
10-05-2011, 04:14 PM
No light in EB3. I am here from 12 years. Did mistake and stayed on experienace and did not tried to get paper degree of 4 year BS

But learned the lesson with rejected I140 and lost old PD so going to get MS and change to EB2. if I survive next few years will get it else go back.

smuggymba
10-05-2011, 04:17 PM
No light in EB3. I am here from 12 years. Did mistake and stayed on experienace and did not tried to get paper degree of 4 year BS

But learned the lesson with rejected I140 and lost old PD so going to get MS and change to EB2. if I survive next few years will get it else go back.

just so you know, a 3 yr degree with an MS might not get you EB2. you have to be cautious in case you have a 3 yr degree.

chikna
10-05-2011, 04:18 PM
I am here 13 years - sad part is still on H1. I couldn't file I-485 because of my stupid employer. My wife is on H4 and can't work. My daughter will be 21 next year. I have two approved I-140 (EB3). God knows when my day will come?

pd052009
10-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Does it really take 70 years? What is the point of getting GC when you no longer live on earth?

smuggymba
10-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Does it really take 70 years? What is the point of getting GC when you no longer live on earth?

Rediff is stupid to a large extent.

chikna
10-05-2011, 04:20 PM
just so you know, a 3 yr degree with an MS might not get you EB2. you have to be cautious in case you have a 3 yr degree.

Are you sure? I have already started MS in US with 3 year degree. I was told that USCIS has no problem in approving MS in US. Please confirm. Thanks.

chikna
10-05-2011, 04:23 PM

EB3 moves 7 days a month and needs 130,000+ visas. If you do math, it might take 50 years.

smuggymba
10-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Are you sure? I have already started MS in US with 3 year degree. I was told that USCIS has no problem in approving MS in US. Please confirm. Thanks.

you can do MS, not a problem. If you got admission, yes you can do it. The issue might be EB2 with an MS and a 3 yr degree.

An MS with a 4 yr degree is no problem for EB2. Other members can chip in as well.

UKannan
10-05-2011, 04:35 PM
EB2 moving to Nov '07....:)

np5337
10-05-2011, 04:36 PM
you don't wait for the result...join the freedom club with me. i have recently applied for GC in 2010. but i run my own business and i will be retiering in next 3 years.

smuggymba
10-05-2011, 04:39 PM
you don't wait for the result...join the freedom club with me. i have recently applied for GC in 2010. but i run my own business and i will be retiering in next 3 years.

Amway??

tuhin
10-05-2011, 04:43 PM
The only way out of this ordeal is to port to EB2, if possible.

chikna
10-05-2011, 04:48 PM
The only way out of this ordeal is to port to EB2, if possible.

How? I started MS and have 3 year degree from India, someone mentioned in this thread that MS won't work. I have 25 years of work experience - this doesn't work either. What other options left for us?

Chandini
10-05-2011, 04:50 PM
I have been here 15 years. Looks like no hope at all. Did this bill reach at least the floor of the house ?

fairness for high-skilled immigrants act.

tuhin
10-05-2011, 04:54 PM
How? I started MS and have 3 year degree from India, someone mentioned in this thread that MS won't work. I have 25 years of work experience - this doesn't work either. What other options left for us?

I do not have a definite answer to your question buddy. But, you might to consult an immigration lawyer (a good one) and evaluate your options. I can understand the hopeless state EB3-I is in. I am not betting on any bill/legislation that can bring forth any relief. As I understand it, EB3 is such a broad category. In this category we have folks like and folks you work hard in 7-11. So, when they talk about high skilled labor, they rule out people like you and me in EB3. There is no direct answer to your question but just a suggestion that you should re-evaluate your options with an immigration lawyer.

tuhin
10-05-2011, 04:58 PM
I do not have a definite answer to your question buddy. But, you might want to consult an immigration lawyer (a good one) and evaluate your options. I can understand the hopeless state EB3-I is in. I am not betting on any bill/legislation that can bring forth any relief. As I understand it, EB3 is such a broad category. In this category we have folks like and folks who work hard in 7-11. So, when they talk about high skilled labor, they rule out people like you and me in EB3. There is no direct answer to your question but just a suggestion that you should re-evaluate your options with an immigration lawyer.

with corrections

maximus777
10-05-2011, 05:05 PM
EB3 moves 7 days a month and needs 130,000+ visas. If you do math, it might take 50 years.

By then most of us would have retired and our "employment based" GC applications would be rejected since we are not employed any more! :rolleyes:

Chandini
10-05-2011, 05:06 PM
ALL EB3,

Please think of ways to get out of this mess. I have very frustrated about the long wait. PLEASE HELP US.

smuggymba
10-05-2011, 05:12 PM
ALL EB3,

Please think of ways to get out of this mess. I have very frustrated about the long wait. PLEASE HELP US.

help IV to help you.

slowwin
10-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Well, I sympathize with Eb3 folks. we were in the same situation and were looking at a 20 year wait, but were able to upgrade to Eb2. Because of heavy demand, Eb3 with pd later than 2004 are looking at long wait times unless they are able to upgrade.

In this political environment, fixing any immigration legislatively is close to impossible.
so the only hope is to 1) wait and suffer, unfair, but that is what it is :mad: 2) Upgrade to Eb2, Eb1 or Eb5. Whoever can should pursue this option 3) move to another country or back to home.

I am only stating the obvious. Don't blame the messenger. I hope everone takes measures appropriate for their situation and attain peace.

Reagrds,
slowwin

green_mile
10-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Join the hands with IV , let us Help IV to help us.

abhi_022001
10-05-2011, 10:03 PM
It's Ironic that 12 million illegal immigrants will become US citizen a lot sooner than less than 1.5 lacs highly paid legal applicants....

No wonder...US is going down the drain..

bugsbunny
10-06-2011, 12:26 AM
I am here 13 years - sad part is still on H1. I couldn't file I-485 because of my stupid employer. My wife is on H4 and can't work. My daughter will be 21 next year. I have two approved I-140 (EB3). God knows when my day will come?

if you get your MS, that along with your 25 years work experience is more than enough to port to EB2.
The min qualification for EB2 is 4 yr bachelor + 5 years experience , or MS
so even if they consider your 3 yr bachelor + 2 yr MS = 4 yr US bachelor, you have 25 yrs experience and so you will easily qualify.

good to see you taking steps to remedy your situation :)

Also be aware about all the details about the immigration process, its all there on USCIS.gov, free information directly from the ones responsible.

As i mentioned before you don't need your employer to file I-485, you just needed your date to be current. If your employer or lawyer said you needed your employer, that was completely wrong information. you only need a job offer letter at the most.
So you got screwed for no reason.

I-485 requirements

USCIS - Green Card Through a Job Offer (http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=daa2a6c515083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCR D&vgnextchannel=daa2a6c515083210VgnVCM100000082ca60a RCRD)

USCIS - I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=3faf2c1a6855d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCR D&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1 RCRD)

Here is the I-485 form , take a look, its only your info. Nothing to do with employer.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485.pdf

CreatedToday
10-06-2011, 12:55 AM

USCIS has problem with non-US MS when you've a 3 year BS. With US MS they assume that you did additional coursework to get admitted to MS.

So continue with your MS, and Good Luck.

I assume you're doing it an accredited university!

slowwin
10-06-2011, 09:24 AM
12 years ago I started as an International student, after giving up a job in India with 4 year experience. I finished my MS here, now after a long journey of opt, multiple H1's, multiple employers, 2-I 140'S, 3 rounds of APs, EADs, I got GC recently.

For me the least painful option was to slug it out. and I did it :D. But I tell you, it has not been easy at all, either on me or on my spouse.

green_mile
10-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Personally I do think the immigration system is highly unfair. Family based immigrants are a lot and a lot easier to immigrate but skilled workers or international students are extremely difficult to immigrate. Most of the family based immigrants are English illiterate or without US education degrees (or without their home countries' academic degrees) but they are easy to immigrate under a family umbrella. However, international students or skilled workers are English literate with academic knowledge but without any "umbrella immigration protection." Most international students struggle to find employers' sponsored H-1B working visa right after graduation to pave the way for immigration. However, it takes a lot of time to wait for GC and is NOT guaranteed. And within this long journey to wait for the green card, in case bad luck such as company reconstruction and get laid off or change employers, the H-1B visa and the green card will be easily lost---the road to immigration is very tough, very long and NO guarantee to get the green card.

So is it fair for international students to have this kind of " tough road"? Some online news said that there should be a system to allow those advanced degree international students to immigrate----WHEN will this happen????? No one knows and NO one really makes this immigration system start?????????????

Let me ask you this question, if you think the system is so unfair? what are you tryng to do in your power to change it? is it not worth trying to contribute to IV (which is committed to help us) in any way we can? either by donation or by attending state charters ?

thomachan72
10-06-2011, 10:04 AM

Steve Jobs (2005). "Remembering that you have to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to loose".
He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2004!!
Focus on the priorities and you "might" find relief. :D:D

green_mile
10-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Steve Jobs (2005). "Remembering that you have to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to loose".
He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2004!!
Focus on the priorities and you "might" find relief. :D:D

But while staring his own death evry day in the mirror, yet he never quit ... people who are afraid of failure will never try.

uma001
10-06-2011, 11:05 AM
What kind of position will pay you 250k. Is it Vice President or CEO??? I never find full time position which offers more than 150k for a director or VP.

kalypso
10-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Sent you a PM.

kopra
10-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Get your MS in related field. never join a big company. Join a consulting desi company and they will file your EB2. Then after getting your GC join the big ones

UKannan
10-06-2011, 05:27 PM
What kind of position will pay you 250k. Is it Vice President or CEO??? I never find full time position which offers more than 150k for a director or VP.

He didn't say that it's USD 250k :D

happyfeet
10-09-2011, 10:55 PM
It is good that finally an analysis has come out about the probelms faced by the EB3 category. Though USICS made a good job in clearing all the labor backlog cases in 2005, which helped everyone to file 485 in 2007, but in lateryears it has neglected the EB3 category.
The EB3 priority date is always in 2001/2002 since 2001, over the last ten years.

Many of these applicants though have advanced degree and by now more than 10 years of experience, are struck which affects their Kids eligibility and federal loans when they apply for college. Also the kids are not eligible for courses like Integrated medicine for lack of Green card.

Everyone need to settle and I happy that EB2 has some light.

But peolpe in EB3 waiting for long years (10) are really suffering and only big forums like Immigartion Voice can hear our sorrow. Parents ( who are struck) with grown up kids will know what I am trying to convey.

These families have to pay and renew the EAD and AP every two years.

I resquest immigartion voice to help us.

As I know Immigration voice, arranged a rally in DC in 2007, which helped everyone to file for AOS. I expect that similar voice should be made to help the EB3-India category.

cleopatra
10-09-2011, 11:33 PM
It is good that finally an analysis has come out about the probelms faced by the EB3 category. Though USICS made a good job in clearing all the labor backlog cases in 2005, which helped everyone to file 485 in 2007, but in lateryears it has neglected the EB3 category.
The EB3 priority date is always in 2001/2002 since 2001, over the last ten years.

Many of these applicants though have advanced degree and by now more than 10 years of experience, are struck which affects their Kids eligibility and federal loans when they apply for college. Also the kids are not eligible for courses like Integrated medicine for lack of Green card.

Everyone need to settle and I happy that EB2 has some light.

But peolpe in EB3 waiting for long years (10) are really suffering and only big forums like Immigartion Voice can hear our sorrow. Parents ( who are struck) with grown up kids will know what I am trying to convey.

These families have to pay and renew the EAD and AP every two years.

I resquest immigartion voice to help us.

As I know Immigration voice, arranged a rally in DC in 2007, which helped everyone to file for AOS. I expect that similar voice should be made to help the EB3-India category.

Join IV advocacy and start participating actively. That is the only way to achieve any relief. Many people are satisfied with posting on forums and venting their frustration.

Some 'do their part' by signing online petitions. Then they wonder why nothing has changed.

Once you join IV advocacy and start working actively, you will understand what it takes to get a fix for the issues. This is the only way to get any fix. Not by posting in forums, signing online petitions etc..

I request you to become a donor member and start participating actively. Come to the next advocacy event. You will understand everything and will be on the way to fixing issues.

Be active, be free.

snthampi
10-10-2011, 06:36 AM
He didn't say that it's USD 250k :D

That was comic relief!!!