PDA

View Full Version : US and Canadian Permanent Residence

dskhabra
09-26-2011, 02:10 PM
I am looking for some advise. To give some background, I got Canadian PR in 2007 and got my US green card approved in June 2011. I went to Canada only once for landing (March 2008) and getting the PR card for a few days and never went back there. I don't have any intent of going to Canada as permanent resident (The situation was completely different for me when I applied for Canadian PR in 2005). I am planning to visit Canada in the next few weeks. I know I can enter Canada on US green card. Since I have not been to Canada for more than 3 years, does that automatically cancel my Canadian PR?

Is there any process required to surrender the Canadian PR before I visit Canada?

or Is it ok to visit Canada and check it at Canadian Port of Entry (least favoured)?

I'll appreciate any suggestions or links.

Thanks

dextro_a
09-28-2011, 09:24 AM
There is a formal process and a fee to surrender Canadian PR. You may be questioned on your intent (e.g. using Canadian public healthcare) if you hold US GC and enter Canada on Canadian PR.

dskhabra
09-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Thanks for your reply. I am not able to figure out the process to return the PR card. Some of the online information says the card is automatically cancelled after 3 years outside stay. My outside stay is already more than 3 years...The major concern is if Canadian PR is approved after US green card which is not the case with me...

If anyone has experience with returning the PR cards, please share...

ritacaic
12-18-2011, 11:19 PM
Ya u have right information that the card is automatically cancelled after 3 years outside stay.