PDA

View Full Version : Driving Test Exception- Out of Country License

dotnetsoul
09-24-2011, 03:20 PM
I'm just curious if any one knows about the states in US which issue drivers license from the training through government approved driving schools and no road test.

bpratap
09-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Don't you plan to drive in the road ? or are you planning to keep the license as a Souvenir ?

dotnetsoul
09-25-2011, 05:04 PM
@bpratap: I didnt ask about me. I drive and have a valid drivers license for 6 years. If you read the question properly, I was just curious to know.

I dont understand why people tend to overreact.

bpratap
09-25-2011, 10:44 PM
whether its for you or anyone else, Why are people looking for loop holes ? its a matter of our own safety. so please follow the rules and process.

To my Knowledge. If one already have a US license in any state, you don't need to appear for Road Test, juz the Written Test, as the rules differ from state to state.

I have heard NJ used to issue DL without a Road Test if you have a License from any part of the world. but have stopped that practice lately.

dotnetsoul
09-26-2011, 08:05 AM
That's what surprises me !! I know few guys in Topeka, KS who got driver's license by attending the driving school without driving test.

There are many on roads breaking the rules and not following safety rules though they have license for years. But they never stop preaching about following rules and procedures.

Thanks for your info.

DSLStart
09-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Kentucky had that system. I got mine by giving only computer test as I had international driving license.

I'm just curious if any one knows about the states in US which issue drivers license from the training through government approved driving schools and no road test.

mylife22
11-17-2011, 07:34 PM
I don't think that rule exists UNLESS you already have an international license. You can't just take a written test and hope to avoid the road test. The road test exists for a reason.

krishmunn
11-17-2011, 11:00 PM
I don't think that rule exists UNLESS you already have an international license. You can't just take a written test and hope to avoid the road test. The road test exists for a reason.

There is nothing called "International License" . If you mean IDP (International Driving Permit) , it is just a translation of your foreign license. It is useless if you do not have your original foreign license. In fact, people of India go crazy about IDP which is a useless piece of crap. Indian License is mostly written in English and acceptable in US (for one year).

Check this for more info on so called International License --- http://www.mass.gov/rmv/forms/21317.pdf

Particularly ---

Q#3. Does an International Driving Permit
confer driving privileges in Massachusetts?

A No. It does not confer any driving privileges.
The Permit is not a substitute for the personís
valid driver license.

#4. Is a foreign licensed driver required to
carry an International Driving Permit
(IDP) when driving in Massachusetts?

A: No. Although some countries require a
foreign motorist to possess an IDP, the United
States has not done so.

AND

krishmunn
11-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Kentucky had that system. I got mine by giving only computer test as I had international driving license.

when KY had that rule, people got license without havign International Driviing License ---- you just need to show your Indian/foreign driving license.

I bet with your "International License" you also had to show your original foreign license

gaz
12-01-2011, 12:37 PM
i believe in MA the rule is that you should NOT have established residency in the state to be eligible to use your international (read foreign and not idp) license

There is nothing called "International License" . If you mean IDP (International Driving Permit) , it is just a translation of your foreign license. It is useless if you do not have your original foreign license. In fact, people of India go crazy about IDP which is a useless piece of crap. Indian License is mostly written in English and acceptable in US (for one year).

Check this for more info on so called International License --- http://www.mass.gov/rmv/forms/21317.pdf

Particularly ---

Q#3. Does an International Driving Permit
confer driving privileges in Massachusetts?

A No. It does not confer any driving privileges.
The Permit is not a substitute for the personís
valid driver license.

#4. Is a foreign licensed driver required to
carry an International Driving Permit
(IDP) when driving in Massachusetts?

A: No. Although some countries require a
foreign motorist to possess an IDP, the United
States has not done so.

AND

krishmunn
12-01-2011, 02:07 PM
What is the range of a license within the country like if I want to go hill station round about ?

Once you have a license from ANY state in US, it is valid in ALL states