PDA

View Full Version : Travel Documents & H1-B Related Question

jamesingham
09-18-2011, 11:47 PM
I am currently on H1-B status. My H1-B visa stamp on my passport expired in Sep 2009. My H1-B status is till Sep 2012.

I am applying for 485 in next couple of weeks. I am applying for EAD and Travel Documents at the same time for me and my wife.

Once I get my Travel Documents, I am planning to go to India in May of next year. do I need to get H1-B visa stamping at US embassy in India before I can return to the US ?

Also, do I need to renew my H1-B next when my current H1-B petition expires ?

Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

hi2sunil
09-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Hi,

I am currently on H1-B status. My H1-B visa stamp on my passport expired in Sep 2009. My H1-B status is till Sep 2012.
I am applying for 485 in next couple of weeks. I am applying for EAD and Travel Documents at the same time for me and my wife.
Once I get my Travel Documents, I am planning to go to India in May of next year. do I need to get H1-B visa stamping at US embassy in India before I can return to the US ?

I believe you have a Valid H1-B valid till Sep 2012, but not yet stamped on the passport, if you go out of US, then you must attend consulate and get visa stamped in your passport.

If you get your Travel Document (Advance Parole), you do not need to go for H1-B stamping, you can use your parole document and enter into US back.

If you use your Parole document, you will be losing your H1-B Status, you no longer on H1, you must use EAD. Senior members, correct me if I am wrong.

If you want to be on H1, you must renew it, if not you can use your EAD and Parole documents.

Thanks
Sunil K

Sunx_2004
09-20-2011, 11:31 AM
As I understand H1B is still valid even if you use AP to re-enter...

Hi,

I believe you have a Valid H1-B valid till Sep 2012, but not yet stamped on the passport, if you go out of US, then you must attend consulate and get visa stamped in your passport.

If you get your Travel Document (Advance Parole), you do not need to go for H1-B stamping, you can use your parole document and enter into US back.

If you use your Parole document, you will be losing your H1-B Status, you no longer on H1, you must use EAD. Senior members, correct me if I am wrong.

If you want to be on H1, you must renew it, if not you can use your EAD and Parole documents.

Thanks
Sunil K

s416504
09-20-2011, 01:25 PM
New 485 application fee includues future EADs & APs so feel free to renew for free.
I think You will be all set by MAY-12 with your GC. No need to goto H1 stamping as far as you have AP in hand.
Although you entered US using AP, You will be still in H1 status & you have choice of extending your H1 beyond 06/2012 OR use EAD if required.
Good Luck.

Any info. would be greatly appreciated.