PDA

View Full Version : Why there is restricions on some of the post

arkrish68
03-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Admin,

Why there is restrictions on some of the posts.

arkrish68
03-16-2009, 09:48 PM
I was having green dots before this post and after opening this post suddenly I got the red dots from some moran without giving any explanation why there is restriction on some of the posts. If you guys don't like people coming for this forum please ban us I don't care.

Thanks for giving red dots....

arkrish68
03-16-2009, 09:50 PM
What do you mean by free loaders. Did you give direct deposit of your pay check to IV... I too did one time contribution to IV.

dilbert_cal
03-16-2009, 10:01 PM
To get ride of free loaders.

Dude - what do you mean by getting ride of free loaders.

Btw - I saw another post of yours wherein you wrote

<Quote>
Some ass hole gave me red for this....
Whoever the a^% h%$le

If you donít need the opinion what the f^%k you are asking here.
<End Quote>

With an attitude like above, I'm not sure which one is better - the so called "free loader" or the educated "donor"

To the OP - IV has now come up with a Donors forum - only folks who meet certain criteria - ( not sure about it but its more like monthly contributors ) will have access to extra breaking news/information. My understanding of it is not very clear but there is another thread where it has been explained in detail - if you may, please search for it OR ping an admin and you will get the answer OR some other poster will reply in more detail to you.

gc28262
03-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Admin,

I am not admin or from IV core.

Yes there are restrictions on some threads. You need to be a Donor to view those Donor forum threads.

How to contribute:
Use the following link to contribute.

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/misc.php?do=donate

Subscribe for a monthly $25 subscription to view those threads.

arkrish68
03-16-2009, 10:09 PM
Dude - what do you mean by getting ride of free loaders.

Btw - I saw another post of yours wherein you wrote

<Quote>
Some ass hole gave me red for this....
Whoever the a^% h%$le

If you donít need the opinion what the f^%k you are asking here.
<End Quote>

With an attitude like above, I'm not sure which one is better - the so called "free loader" or the educated "donor"

To the OP - IV has now come up with a Donors forum - only folks who meet certain criteria - ( not sure about it but its more like monthly contributors ) will have access to extra breaking news/information. My understanding of it is not very clear but there is another thread where it has been explained in detail - if you may, please search for it OR ping an admin and you will get the answer OR some other poster will reply in more detail to you.

Hi dilbert_cal

Thanks for your response. I just wanted to know whether there is there any restrictions among members. I know some members are contributing regularly and some are not... just by giving red is not going to solve anything.

imm_pro
03-16-2009, 10:58 PM
i am a contributing member,still i cannot see these so called Donor Posts.

vbkris77
03-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Me too?? I can't see any Donor threads either Am I missing any??

wandmaker
03-17-2009, 12:55 AM
Admin,

Member who make a monthly contribution (minimum of $25) will get the "Donor" status, which will provide them a priviledge and an immediate access to breaking and important news. Long story short, paid members get to know first, when something is cooking and non-paid members know when the dish is ready to serve. BTW, if you need something free, you gotta wait, it can be a long wait like GC - Hope this clarifies.

wandmaker
03-17-2009, 12:58 AM
i am a contributing member,still i cannot see these so called Donor Posts.

Me too?? I can't see any Donor threads either Am I missing any??

You should have access, please write to Administrator2, it will be taken care.

bindas74
03-17-2009, 01:01 AM
Admin,

I realised the same thing....so I just moved on...to other forums....no offence to IV Core....but I think you are getting little bit more restrictionist.....

May be IV should follow other models in generating revenue....some ads( which I think you are already doing ) instead of bullying everyone to cough up money::))) Peace!!!!

Other ideas include( for generating money):

Putting some craigslist/ebay kind of buying/selling pages...I know some people will jump and say that would distract the main reason for which IV was set up - immigration...
But, I think both can co-exist...and hey, IV can generate lots of traffic and money as well..

Regards

snathan
03-17-2009, 01:07 AM
I realised the same thing....so I just moved on...to other forums....no offence to IV Core....but I think you are getting little bit more restrictionist.....

May be IV should follow other models in generating revenue....some ads( which I think you are already doing ) instead of bullying everyone to cough up money::))) Peace!!!!

Putting some craigslist/ebay kind of buying/selling pages...I know some people will jump and say that would distract the main reason for which IV was set up - immigration...
But, I think both can co-exist...and hey, IV can generate lots of traffic and money as well..

Regards

I understand your point. But there is a difference between other sites and IV. IV is working for a resolution for this GC backlog where as other sites want the mess to be there. As long as its there, they get revenue. Please go through the IV policy and goals then you will understand what we are doing here. Everything is done by volunteers including this web site design and administration.

Moreover there is no free lunch.

sanju
03-17-2009, 01:19 AM
I asked the same question to myself few days back. And my follow-up question was, why is cable company, internet company, utility company, gas company etc. restrict access to the service/product they provide? Wouldn't this world be a better place if we could all get everything for free. How often do we call and ask the cable/utilities company why they charge us for something that we need? Why do we have to pay for the things/service/product/information important to us?

I went to the website of my cable company in VA and later called them to ask why they charge money for me to connect to the same internet. The representative of the cable company on the other side of the call said that she was not trained to handle this question and will have someone else call me back. So I will let you know when I hear back from the cable company. And I expect that the answer I will get from the cable company will be the answer you are looking for so I will keep you posted.

Admin,

ganguteli
03-17-2009, 01:46 AM

Regards

Other sites will not tell you any updates or do advocacy for you. They will be either owned by lawyers who want more and more people to come and become their clients or owned by business who want this retrogression to continue. These businesses may even delete your posts if you put the IV name or action items in it. They want us all to suffer so that more people come to their site and they make money off us through ads and by selling visitor insurance.

So if you think you are punishing IV by going elsewhere, you are only punishing yourself and making your GC wait longer. You can shorten it by helping IV and boycotting other sites.

go_guy123
03-17-2009, 03:37 AM
Other sites will not tell you any updates or do advocacy for you. They will be either owned by lawyers who want more and more people to come and become their clients or owned by business who want this retrogression to continue. These businesses may even delete your posts if you put the IV name or action items in it. They want us all to suffer so that more people come to their site and they make money off us through ads and by selling visitor insurance.

So if you think you are punishing IV by going elsewhere, you are only punishing yourself and making your GC wait longer. You can shorten it by helping IV and boycotting other sites.

Making an exclusive Doner list is a good thing. Many times in the past the anti-EB folks get unfront information from IV about EB reform and start a massive letter writing campaign.

dilbert_cal
03-17-2009, 03:49 AM
Making an exclusive Doner list is a good thing. Many times in the past the anti-EB folks get unfront information from IV about EB reform and start a massive letter writing campaign.

Making an exclusive Donor list isnt going to stop the so-called anti-EB folks from getting news of EB reform -- think about it for a second - if someone really want to know whats going on - they just need to donate a certain sum of amount every month and they will know everything and the sum of amount isnt going to be a barrier at all.

snathan
03-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Making an exclusive Donor list isnt going to stop the so-called anti-EB folks from getting news of EB reform -- think about it for a second - if someone really want to know whats going on - they just need to donate a certain sum of amount every month and they will know everything and the sum of amount isnt going to be a barrier at all.

I blieve you need to think about a second. How much time and money we need to spend for lobbying in this country. Whether it helps to keep the anti at bay or not, it will really help the IV to achive the common goal. Think about a second or third and start contributing.

wandmaker
03-17-2009, 12:13 PM

Please fill your profile, it takes less than 5 minutes. Hope, you can help IV to achieve the common goal - it costs nothing

dilbert_cal
03-17-2009, 12:47 PM
I blieve you need to think about a second. How much time and money we need to spend for lobbying in this country. Whether it helps to keep the anti at bay or not, it will really help the IV to achive the common goal. Think about a second or third and start contributing.

Your belief is wrong. I made a very specific point - that is - if you feel that keeping a donors only area will ensure that other groups will not know what IV is doing/planning on doing, then you are wrong. If someone really wants to know what IV is doing, nothing stops them from becoming a donor. If you feel my thought process about it is wrong, then feel free to correct me.

But please refrain from replying to a post without any context for what has been posted.
I never said that we dont need time and money. And it was never said that the donors only area is to raise money only ( atleast I havent seen it put it that way )

snathan
03-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Your belief is wrong. I made a very specific point - that is - if you feel that keeping a donors only area will ensure that other groups will not know what IV is doing/planning on doing, then you are wrong. If someone really wants to know what IV is doing, nothing stops them from becoming a donor. If you feel my thought process about it is wrong, then feel free to correct me.

But please refrain from replying to a post without any context for what has been posted.
I never said that we dont need time and money. And it was never said that the donors only area is to raise money only ( atleast I havent seen it put it that way )

1. The donor is area is not created to restirct other people. All information will be shared with everyone but it will be delayed.

2. Yes, the main purpose is to raise money.

3. There are lots of free loaders come here and ask some naany questions then disappear. Basically they come here only when they need something. They never contribute in any form. So this is also on of the reason to have a separate Donor forum.

4. If you understand that we need to contribute time and money...I am yet to see your as Donor. May I ask you whats stopping to become one.

If we really need to stop other groups knowing what IV is doing, there are ways...called IV state chapters. Join one if you are not already a member.

asdfgh
03-17-2009, 01:41 PM
What about members who have contributed significantly in the past? My total contributions to date are ~1000...and I am not granted Donor status and access...total BS.

Its unfortunate that such ridiculous policies are being put in place to force donations...trust me, the ones who who currently dont donate will not, irrespective of policies such as this...pretty soon you'll have alienated the true donors and you'll have folks who get the info from a "friend" that donates, instead of donating themselves...I am sure some solid contributors like me are going to stop visiting and supporting IV from here on forward...Good luck.

new_horizon
03-17-2009, 02:10 PM
whoever is updating the donor status, pls include those who are contributing members...me included. I've sent the info couple of times, but nothing has happened. Admins, pls look into this. Thanks.

Marphad
03-17-2009, 02:11 PM
What about members who have contributed significantly in the past? My total contributions to date are ~1000...and I am not granted Donor status and access...total BS.

Its unfortunate that such ridiculous policies are being put in place to force donations...trust me, the ones who who currently dont donate will not, irrespective of policies such as this...pretty soon you'll have alienated the true donors and you'll have folks who get the info from a "friend" that donates, instead of donating themselves...I am sure some solid contributors like me are going to stop visiting and supporting IV from here on forward...Good luck.

At present there is not a single donor forum active on front page. That shows its popularity. Sometimes rather than opposing idiotic policies, just let them run. They will fall apart by itself, of course with some casualities like good people not participating anymore.

snathan
03-17-2009, 02:11 PM

Send mail to Admin...If you are a solid contributor whats your worry here?

ganguteli
03-17-2009, 02:13 PM

Nobody is forcing anyone to donate. You can still access the site and post for free. IV also said that they will post updates for everyone on the free site too, but after delay. So nobody is really losing much. We are only paying some premium to get the information faster than others. This may also encourage people to donate $25. We give so much to our lawyers and never complain. We go out every now and then and eat out and spend more than $25 and never complain. We go to temple etc and donate to God (aka priests who enjoy that money) and we never complain. God is giving us money and we give it back at temple even though he does not need it. We spend lot of money to get a flat screen largest size TV for our house to show off other Indian friends. But we never complain.

dreamworld
03-17-2009, 02:29 PM
I did contribute a small amount of money to IV in the past and i planned to donate yearly the same amount of money.

Am i consider a donor?. if not, is IV going to lobby for everyone in the IV community or just lobby for donors???.

I would like know why IV is NOT considering the onetime donors in the donors list.

By the way i am IV member too and i like the IV for the same good reason as you.

ganguteli
03-17-2009, 02:41 PM
I did contribute a small amount of money to IV in the past and i planned to donate yearly the same amount of money.

Am i consider a donor?. if not, is IV going to lobby for everyone in the IV community or just lobby for donors???.

I would like know why IV is NOT considering the onetime donors in the donors list.

By the way i am IV member too and i like the IV for the same good reason as you.

Let us say, tell to IEEE. We take your subscription membership and we have to renew it all the time . IEEE should make us lifetime subscribed members if we pay them once for a month for an old action item hat they did. And they should continue to work for us now for free on all future action items, provide updates, maintain their site for us, go and lobby for us for life based on our one time contribution.

IV should also tell its lobbying firm and web hosting provider that it has paid in the past for many months and so they should provide services for free for life in future because its members have also paid in the past and want that to be counted for future.

Is this fair?

Do you know even AILA charges money to lawyers and it is subscription based membership. Lawyers can choose to not be members or go elsewhere or start their own website. But they are faithful and know the value of unity and having an organization of their own. On their site Non subscribers cannot even see any of their forums. At least on IV we can see and post for free.

We need to learn from them.

dilbert_cal
03-17-2009, 02:48 PM
1. The donor is area is not created to restirct other people. All information will be shared with everyone but it will be delayed.

2. Yes, the main purpose is to raise money.

3. There are lots of free loaders come here and ask some naany questions then disappear. Basically they come here only when they need something. They never contribute in any form. So this is also on of the reason to have a separate Donor forum.

4. If you understand that we need to contribute time and money...I am yet to see your as Donor. May I ask you whats stopping to become one.

If we really need to stop other groups knowing what IV is doing, there are ways...called IV state chapters. Join one if you are not already a member.

Appreciate your detailed response.

For (1) -> So the donor forum has nothing to do with trying to stop information from being misused by other groups. So, we shouldnt state that as a reason. Previously, only CORE team would know what IV is planning on. Then State leaders got included into it. And it is completely acceptable to me that folks who are volunteering their time more than others and taking the lead for CORE activities have more knowledge of IV's future plans than others. I dont think anybody will have issues with that.

For (2) -> The reason is understandable and I hope due diligence was done about what impact this segregation is going to have on all the members.

For (3) -> I dont see how you are solving this issue. What stops a person from coming here, asking a basic question, getting it answered and then never coming back here or contributing back to this cause ? What I understand is that DONOR forum will have breaking news being shared with DONORs first and with others later on. How does that forum stop or do anything about (3) ?

For (4) -> Unfortunately, you will never see the word DONOR infront of my name. And before someone jumps on me, let me clarify that it doesnt mean that I havent contributed. I've done, am doing and will continue to contribute - just that my personal preference is to keep a low profile.

I believe there is a lot of misinformation about the DONOR forums. And your answers are still mixing other issues with DONOR forum. This is my understanding of the DONOR forum :-

1) Those who contribute monthly a sum of 25 or above will get the status of DONOR and will have access to breaking news before the general folks will get to know about it.

2) Donor Forum has got nothing to do with any other issues - whether it is other groups knowing what we do OR so called free-loaders OR .....

dreamworld
03-17-2009, 03:04 PM
there are different kind of Not-For-Profit organization

1. Members of Organization Working for other to benefit.
2. Members of Organization Working for Members to benefit.
3. Members of Organization Working for everyone in the community to benefit.

also, there are different way these Not-For-Profit organization get funds.

1. All Members of Organization need to pay.
2. Run a funding drive to generate the funding.
3. Get the regular funding from the donors who can contribute.

given these situation, i can see where IV is going and good luck in this effort.

For all Donors, keep the IV community informed on the progress that IV make and focus on IV community benefit. do not narrow down the final result to donor only.

IV needs a big PR effort on this donor only section, so you might need a separate wiki for donor FAQ.

snathan
03-17-2009, 03:16 PM

given these situation, i can see where IV is going and good luck in this effort.

For all Donors, keep the IV community informed on the progress that IV make and focus on IV community benefit. do not narrow down the final result to donor only.

IV needs a big PR effort on this donor only section, so you might need a separate wiki for donor FAQ.

Isnt like asking for free lunch...? Then what is the purpose of having this.

snathan
03-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Appreciate your detailed response.

For (1) -> So the donor forum has nothing to do with trying to stop information from being misused by other groups. So, we shouldnt state that as a reason. Previously, only CORE team would know what IV is planning on. Then State leaders got included into it. And it is completely acceptable to me that folks who are volunteering their time more than others and taking the lead for CORE activities have more knowledge of IV's future plans than others. I dont think anybody will have issues with that.

For (2) -> The reason is understandable and I hope due diligence was done about what impact this segregation is going to have on all the members.

For (3) -> I dont see how you are solving this issue. What stops a person from coming here, asking a basic question, getting it answered and then never coming back here or contributing back to this cause ? What I understand is that DONOR forum will have breaking news being shared with DONORs first and with others later on. How does that forum stop or do anything about (3) ?

For (4) -> Unfortunately, you will never see the word DONOR infront of my name. And before someone jumps on me, let me clarify that it doesnt mean that I havent contributed. I've done, am doing and will continue to contribute - just that my personal preference is to keep a low profile.

I believe there is a lot of misinformation about the DONOR forums. And your answers are still mixing other issues with DONOR forum. This is my understanding of the DONOR forum :-

1) Those who contribute monthly a sum of 25 or above will get the status of DONOR and will have access to breaking news before the general folks will get to know about it.

2) Donor Forum has got nothing to do with any other issues - whether it is other groups knowing what we do OR so called free-loaders OR .....

If they are paying for this cause...they become DONOR and whats issue then

snathan
03-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Rather than beating around the bush...let me put it clearly. IV needs money and time from volunteers. No one is forcing to donate. Still you have access to this site.

Its up to you donate or not.

Period.

p_aluri
03-17-2009, 03:21 PM
I am a donor too. Probably 90% of the IV members are not done whatever I've done.

I have contributed 400 dollars.
I was one of the member organized meeting in Milpitas CA for Aman Kapoor.
Attended San Jose Ralley.
I've called EAST COAST members for DC Ralley.

Still I am not considered as a "donor"? I am also restricted to certain threads.

I am disappointed the way we are going now.

I am not admin or from IV core.

Yes there are restrictions on some threads. You need to be a Donor to view those Donor forum threads.

How to contribute:
Use the following link to contribute.

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/misc.php?do=donate

Subscribe for a monthly $25 subscription to view those threads.

p_aluri
03-17-2009, 03:24 PM
so you are restricting the previously dontated people until the members donates again?

I am not sure if that is a great decsion going forward..

Rather than beating around the bush...let me put it clearly. IV needs money and time from volunteers. No one is forcing to donate. Still you have access to this site.

Its up to you donate or not.

Period.

snathan
03-17-2009, 03:29 PM
so you are restricting the previously dontated people until the members donates again?

I am not sure if that is a great decsion going forward..

I am not restricting anyone here...I am also a member like you.

dreamworld
03-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Isnt like asking for free lunch...? Then what is the purpose of having this.

Free lunch? I am more aware of what is free!!!

I respect you for being a IV-Donor.

if you are a IV-Donor then you need to be a good at PR to bring more people as Donor. do not distance yourself from rest-of-iv-members.

snathan
03-17-2009, 03:30 PM

if you are a IV-Donor then you need to be a good at PR to bring more people as Donor. do not distance yourself from rest-of-iv-members.

You got to understand one thing...I am not a PR for IV. I am also a memeber like you, willing to contribute to fix this cause. No one convienced me to contribute.

Why do you expects others to convience you to fix your own issues ?

p_aluri
03-17-2009, 03:34 PM
I am wondering who is assigning the member as donor. I would like to contact him/her.

I am sorry..I din't mean to say that but I am dissapointed the way things are going at IV.

I am not restricting anyone here...I am also a member like you.

Administrator2
03-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Hi p_aluri,

We all appreciate your effort and participation. Please understand that 'Donor' is not a status symbol or a title, it just means that we have started a new system of contribution from our members and this system is more integrated with the website and the forum. The website and the contribution system were not integrated in the past and so we had to start from somewhere, and we did. We have all contributed in the past and please do not feel offended because of this 'Donor' thing. The new system in place is automatic for large part and 'Donor' appears for the contributors in the new system.

It is not possible to run the organization that have high goals but lack of energy and understanding from its members. We know that we are not perfect, and perfection is not the objective here. We are trying to create a system where the effort is self sustaining and the organization can continue to work on the bigger goals.

Please do not read too much into donor thing. And your past contributions were for your own good and to uplift the community. We have made progress and have come a long way. And we could not have done that without the contribution from active selfless foot soldiers like yourself. But now that we have come here, the question is, do we stop here or should we continue to adept to the changing situation to work on the bigger goals we have set for ourselves. If I have one vote, I'd say - go with the later option so that we can continue to work towards our goals and not lose the sight of the importance of our objectives. And in order to continue with the effort, we need continued flow of energy. We believe that contribution to IV is one of the most important measure of energy that we are able to gather here, and then use it to fulfill the objective of the organization. Believe me, if we could trade places, you'd see how difficult it is to continue to run an organization with 33000 CEOs, where someone is always ready to take an offense because one or the other reason.

Please understand that we are here for a purpose and not to find reasons to feel offended, because if the objective is to find reasons to feel offended, there are enough reasons out there and we can find those reasons in the universe, and we'd all just be a bunch of very unhappy folks, and no body wants that. Please help us explain and convince others that its not about 'donor' word showing up for 1, 2 or 5 members. We are all in this together. And everyday trivialities doesn't mean anything because they will take us all down, together. We all have to look beyond these everyday trivialities which do not mean anything when we compare them to what we are all dealing with.

Thanks for your understanding.

I am a donor too. Probably 90% of the IV members are not done whatever I've done.

I have contributed 400 dollars.
I was one of the member organized meeting in Milpitas CA for Aman Kapoor.
Attended San Jose Ralley.
I've called EAST COAST members for DC Ralley.

Still I am not considered as a "donor"? I am also restricted to certain threads.

I am disappointed the way we are going now.

p_aluri
03-17-2009, 03:46 PM
I am not buying free lunch... compare your self and decide who is buying a free lunch?
I have invited so many members. Infact I have so many friends here :)

p_aluri
03-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Hi Administrator2,

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. I agree with you in each point. But some of the posts from recent members are so disturbing. They are not understanding the gross roots of IV. Probably those members doesn't even know who started this organization.

I do not want to go to much details into it, it may create some more issues instead of fighting for our root cause.

Anyway I would really appreciate If you could allow me to go through the restricted threads.

Hi p_aluri,

We all appreciate your effort and participation. Please understand that 'Donor' is not a status symbol or a title, it just means that we have started a new system of contribution from our members and this system is more integrated with the website and the forum. The website and the contribution system were not integrated in the past and so we had to start from somewhere, and we did. We have all contributed in the past and please do not feel offended because of this 'Donor' thing. The new system in place is automatic for large part and 'Donor' appears for the contributors in the new system.

It is not possible to run the organization that have high goals but lack of energy and understanding from its members. We know that we are not perfect, and perfection is not the objective here. We are trying to create a system where the effort is self sustaining and the organization can continue to work on the bigger goals.

Please do not read too much into donor thing. And your past contributions were for your own good and to uplift the community. We have made progress and have come a long way. And we could not have done that without the contribution from active selfless foot soldiers like yourself. But now that we have come here, the question is, do we stop here or should we continue to adept to the changing situation to work on the bigger goals we have set for ourselves. If I have one vote, I'd say - go with the later option so that we can continue to work towards our goals and not lose the sight of the importance of our objectives. And in order to continue with the effort, we need continued flow of energy. We believe that contribution to IV is one measure of energy that we are able to gather here, and then use it to fulfill the objective of the organization. Believe me, if we could trade places, you'd see how difficult it is to continue to run an organization with 33000 CEOs, where someone is always ready to take an offense because one or the other reason.

Please understand that we are here for a purpose and not to find reasons to feel offended because if the objective is to find reasons to feel offended, there are enough reasons out there and we can all just be a bunch of very unhappy folks, and no body wants that. Please help us to explain and convince others that its not about the status of 1, 2 or 5 people. We are all in this together. And everyday trivialities doesn't mean anything because they will take us all down, together. We all have look beyond these everyday trivialities which do not mean anything when we compare it to what we are all dealing with.

Thanks for your understanding.

dreamworld
03-17-2009, 04:09 PM
I am not buying free lunch... compare your self and decide who is buying a free lunch?
I have invited so many members. Infact I have so many friends here :)

you want to compare myself. could you be more specific (better you not give specific details on comparing me on this forum and you might create more negative pulse around here)?

I did contribute to IV to my extend as you did for your extend.

I feel you and me and other makes IV as ONE community. if you start comparing then we can not stand together.

needhelp!
03-17-2009, 04:22 PM
If retrogression ends then all will benefit, so I am not sure how IV can limit the benefits to donors only?

BumbleBee
03-17-2009, 05:08 PM
I support IV's need to have a special forum or role based thread to maintain a certain level of secrecy given how anti forces are always on lookout for sabotaging IV's effort.

At the same time, the effort would certainly turn off some legitimate IVians(donor or not, are very important to this movement). If the idea is to keep donors more informed than others then I would like to suggest keeping these threads invisible to general public. Out of sight, out of mind.

for what it's worth...

Keep up the good work.

rahulpaper
03-17-2009, 05:17 PM
I have contributed ($500+) to IV in last 2 years (various drives). Also, I have thought of becoming a regular contributor many time but am hesitant to do so without proper transperancy of how funds are utilized..(this does not in anyway mean that i doubt anyone's intent here)..

Is there a way for us(members) to periodically find out where /how contributions are being used along with balance available etc (General category of "Lobbying" is too broad for me).
Do we have detailed tax returns etc?

reddog
03-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Hi Administrator2,

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. I agree with you in each point. But some of the posts from recent members are so disturbing. They are not understanding the gross roots of IV. Probably those members doesn't even know who started this organization.

I do not want to go to much details into it, it may create some more issues instead of fighting for our root cause.

Anyway I would really appreciate If you could allow me to go through the restricted threads.

Well, atleast your $400 contribution and your efforts got an answer out of the admins.
Can we atleast have a poll for the people who are contributing members, To find how contributing members find the idea of Donor based threads?

IV is actually the only organisation that is working on the resolution of the EB thing.
And it is natural that in this current state of economy, we suddenly have a whole lot of people flooding on to the site, with questions, looking for answers, just lurk around or trying to create a divide.
And yes, we are not looking much into the Donor based thing(atleast I am not), but it sends a very wrong message to the common non-immigrant.

IV, as an organisation should not die once the EB retrogressed situation is resolved. It should continue with a whole different team of people, trying to find solutions and lobby for a different cause.
and from that long term perspective, IV is not sending a right message with the Donor based thread initiative.

minimalist
03-17-2009, 05:41 PM
can contribute and get upto the minute updates from CORE. So far I contributed twice. Once a hundred as a token of appreciation for getting the EAD and the other time 25 for the FOIA effort. The reason I contributed is because I was interested. I know there are many more whho contributed way above than I did.Just by the timing of it I got taged as Donor.
With my PD, I don't care much about when will I get my GC. I never been to so called immigration forums or trackers ever. IV is an exciting place to be for the collection of numerous individuals with different personalities and entertaining discussions and also for the commitment some of the members (including CORE) show.

My donor status will probably last for a month and after that I don't mind waiting for things to be published for general public. But if I want to have quick access,I will contribute and get the Donor tag. Personally I would have preferred the tag to read contributor or Cash Contributor. Donor may be a misnomer as nobody is donating for anyone except themselves ( with exception of few CORE members who long finished their GC journey).

Think of it as similar to the latest new electonic gadget in market. If you mst have it, pay the premium else wait till it drops in the price.

Peace.

Administrator2
03-17-2009, 05:57 PM
I guess his point is that why the contribution is only evaluated with money donation?

Thanks Marphad. How else do you propose to evaluate the donations? If we institute any other system in place, there will always be someone questioning us - why this system?

Where and when will it all stop? No matter what system we put in place, there will be some folks who will not like the form of system. All we can do is work as hard as possible to convince everyone that we had to start from somewhere and within our internal discussions, this system was most productive & suitable for our effort.

And its ok if some someone doesn't agree all the time as long as we all agree with majority of the time.

reddog
03-17-2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks Marphad. How else do you propose to evaluate the donations? If we institute any other system in place, there will always be someone questioning us - why this system?

Where and when will it all stop? No matter what system we put in place, there will be some folks who will not like the form of system. All we can do is work as hard as possible to convince everyone that we had to start from somewhere and within our internal discussions, this system was most productive & suitable for our effort.

And its ok if some someone doesn't agree all the time as long as we all agree with majority of the time.

I believe, if you do want to have the Donor based thread, please do not let non-donors see the Donor based thread. For them, it should be non-existent. Yes, there can be a separate Forum section for Donor based threads, but the thread being active would not show up on the front page.
That, in essence would be like, IV core is doing things for the greater good without letting others know.
And people would really appreciate that.

Marphad
03-17-2009, 06:16 PM

Right! I am comparatively new here and quite a few things being discussed about old era are completely new for me.

I thought we have monthly meetings, weekly phone calls among members and thats why I asked that question. Pardon my ignorance.

Administrator2
03-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Right! I am comparatively pretty new here and quite a few things being discussed about old era are completely new for me.

I thought we have monthly meetings, weekly phone calls among members and thats why I asked that question. Pardon my ignorance.

How else do you want to do it based on phone calls and meetings. Someone who attends a meeting will get 3 points and someone attend a conference call will 2 points. Who will keep a track of those credit points? No need to respond as it will be nothing more than more sarcasm.

Marphad
03-17-2009, 06:37 PM
How else do you want to do it based on phone calls and meetings. Someone who attends a meeting will get 3 points and someone attend a conference call will 2 points. Who will keep a track of those credit points? No need to respond as it will be nothing more than more sarcasm.

Take a chill pill buddy! I was not suggesting anything just wanted to know.

Administrator2
03-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Take a chill pill buddy! I was not suggesting anything just wanted to know.

Alright then, please help us understand - How else do you want to do it based on phone calls and meetings? What system do you propose? Will you help us setup a new system?