PDA

View Full Version : Travel to USA with medical condition

belmontboy
09-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Hello folks,

My Father-In-Law has a medical condition that requires him to get dialysis twice a week.
He plans to visit us. He does have health insurance from India. (I have checked with American insurers and have been refused due to pre-existing condition).

Would like to hear from others who have been in similar situation.
Considering his situation, is it very risky to take USA travel? (assuming we take care of dialysis costs and he gets his indian company to provide medical insurance).

Appreciate your responses folks.

Rb_newsletter
09-16-2011, 02:29 PM
assuming we take care of dialysis costs and he gets his indian company to provide medical insurance

I feel sorry about the situation you are facing.

Medical system in USA is very costly and don't assume anything. Call couple of hospitals directly and ask them how much it would cost for dialysis. Then talk to Indian insurance company and see if they will reimburse that cost. If there is a difference then see if it affordable to you.

People get $10,000 bill for getting admitted to hospital for just one day.

Rb_newsletter
09-16-2011, 02:57 PM
And don't forget to bargain as much as possible when you ask for quote. Here medical is a business, and you have lots of choice to go with.

sorcerer666
09-16-2011, 03:19 PM
I would think that it is quite risky to say the least. The doctors in India would know your father-in-law's history. It is a long flight, if something goes wrong while in transit and there are complications, how would you account for that??

As regards the cost is concerned, please find this blog from a kidney patient. As per this his monthly dialysis bill is about $1259 for each dialysis. Per week it'll be $2500 and $10,000 per month. The Kidney Boy: The Cost of Dialysis (http://thekidneyboy.blogspot.com/2011/01/cost-of-dialysis.html)
Although, I do believe there are a do it yourself dialysis kits available which may run upto $600 per run.

Please make an informed decision, not just for the cost but also about the potential complications after such a long journey.

Good Luck!!

Hello folks,

My Father-In-Law has a medical condition that requires him to get dialysis twice a week.
He plans to visit us. He does have health insurance from India. (I have checked with American insurers and have been refused due to pre-existing condition).

Considering his situation, is it very risky to take USA travel? (assuming we take care of dialysis costs and he gets his indian company to provide medical insurance).

snathan
09-16-2011, 04:05 PM
Hello folks,

If I were you, I wouldnt do this. Do not depend on the Indian insurance as they talk nicely before buying the insurance. More over its a pre-existing condition, so they wont pay for it. You should go ahead only if you are ready and can afford to spend tens of thousands of dollars for medical bill.