PDA

View Full Version : DS-156 help for mother-in-law

Eden
03-15-2009, 01:49 PM
My mother-in-law would like to get visitor visa.

How do I answer #37 of the DS-156?

The applicant's (my mother-in-law) son( my husband) is in the U.S. illegally. I am US cit. and my husband needs to report to visa interview within the next year. We have been post-poning due to medical issues. In the meanwhile we hope my mother-in-law can come here to visit her granddaughter.( I am unable to travel). #37 of the DS-156 asks if any body is in US. We should answer YES, because her son is here, BUT, what do we put for his status? Illegal? I read one article that stated to mark YES only if he has legal status. I do not want to put NO, immigration already knows he is here and we do not want to be dishonest.

Any ideas?

number30
03-15-2009, 03:36 PM
My mother-in-law would like to get visitor visa.

How do I answer #37 of the DS-156?

The applicant's (my mother-in-law) son( my husband) is in the U.S. illegally. I am US cit. and my husband needs to report to visa interview within the next year. We have been post-poning due to medical issues. In the meanwhile we hope my mother-in-law can come here to visit her granddaughter.( I am unable to travel). #37 of the DS-156 asks if any body is in US. We should answer YES, because her son is here, BUT, what do we put for his status? Illegal? I read one article that stated to mark YES only if he has legal status. I do not want to put NO, immigration already knows he is here and we do not want to be dishonest.

Any ideas?

She has to be truthful. Otherwise it can create big problem later. Why you husband did not apply for the card when married to a citizen?