PDA

View Full Version : Can I run a small business with EAD?

humsuplou
03-09-2009, 01:28 PM
I know that with H1-B, one is not supposed to run his/her own business. But how about with EAD?

vin13
03-09-2009, 01:30 PM
I know that with H1-B, one is not supposed to run his/her own business. But how about with EAD?

Yes, you can run a business on EAD.

You can own a business on H1-B too. But you cannot work for it . You can invest and have someone manage the operation for you. you can take profits but not work as an employee.

hindu_king
03-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Just in-case one gets layed-off and has an EAD, can that person buy a 7-Eleven or a Gas Station?
Can the EAD holder actually run the gas station/7-eleven by working/being present there? (Maybe he/she can work there and take all the profit but no salary).
What happens if there is an RFE asking for proof of employment during this period?

humsuplou
03-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Yes, you can run a business on EAD.

You can own a business on H1-B too. But you cannot work for it . You can invest and have someone manage the operation for you. you can take profits but not work as an employee.

Ok, so one can own but not run a business with H1B, but can own and run with EAD,right?
Thanks!!

vin13
03-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Ok, so one can own but not run a business with H1B, but can own and run with EAD,right?
Thanks!!

Right, one can own but not run a business with H1-B, but can own and run with EAD.

vin13
03-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Just in-case one gets layed-off and has an EAD, can that person buy a 7-Eleven or a Gas Station?
Can the EAD holder actually run the gas station/7-eleven by working/being present there? (Maybe he/she can work there and take all the profit but no salary).
What happens if there is an RFE asking for proof of employment during this period?

You will have to persue your gas station business parallel to your GC job (or similar job if you are using AC-21 portability).

humsuplou
03-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Right, one can own but not run a business with H1-B, but can own and run with EAD.

Thanks again!!!

psaxena
03-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Hi,
Me and My friend developed a product, which is ready to launch. The product is very good and two fortune 500companies are willing to implement the product and back us up.

Now my problem is I am on H1B working fulltime with a company and also have an EAD. At this moment I cannot leave my fulltime job. My question is , if I can be a partner with my friend in the new company we are forming( My friend is a US citizen), also will I be able to get paid ( as the developement of the product drained my pocket, this was the hope and I think we are close to reap the hardwork) . Also my wife is also on EAD , can she be the partner? Will there be any issue if I can do that.

Please help!!

champu
03-09-2009, 04:31 PM
start a consulting company. ;)

vin13
03-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Hi,
Me and My friend developed a product, which is ready to launch. The product is very good and two fortune 500companies are willing to implement the product and back us up.

Now my problem is I am on H1B working fulltime with a company and also have an EAD. At this moment I cannot leave my fulltime job. My question is , if I can be a partner with my friend in the new company we are forming( My friend is a US citizen), also will I be able to get paid ( as the developement of the product drained my pocket, this was the hope and I think we are close to reap the hardwork) . Also my wife is also on EAD , can she be the partner? Will there be any issue if I can do that.

Please help!!

As a H1-B employee, if you are a partner to the company, you can take profits. but you cannot take salary as a employee. For example, you could be a 50% partner for profits. But your friend(US Citizen) can be the working partner who actually signs all the checks and contracts etc.

Best would be to make your wife who is on EAD to be the partner. She can be an employee and a partner. More flexibility. I do not see any issue.

eb2_immigrant
03-09-2009, 07:20 PM

Can you not think anything other than a gas station or seven eeleven ? Come on guys think out side the box. I don't have a great idea to suggest you to begin with but I know gas station and grocery stores are very typical desi ideas

validIV
03-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Real estate investment right now is very good. Buy some foreclosures cheap (under 50k) then rent. Use the equity to buy more houses. Daisy chain rinse and repeat. Within a year especially with this economy you will be living the American Dream.

psaxena
03-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks Vin13.
I was thinking the same, to have my wife work on EAD.. so does that mean she will have to give her H4 away to work on EAD. Will that any issue while she travels and comes back on AP. I know it should not but just wanted to conform on the same.

Now also can you suggest on the scenario somehow I get a denial of 485 , what then my wife will have to do ? will she have to go back to the India and get a H4..
Please advice.

Thanks in Advance.

Atishbazi
03-31-2009, 04:26 PM
I am thinking of starting my own company doing work similar to what I am employed for? Can I quit my job and start my own firm on EAD. I will be the sole proprietor and employee and the business would essentially operate as a startup for the foreseeable future. Will this be ok during I-485 adjudication? or do i need a regular job?

Atish.

validIV
03-31-2009, 04:35 PM
I am thinking of starting my own company doing work similar to what I am employed for? Can I quit my job and start my own firm on EAD. I will be the sole proprietor and employee and the business would essentially operate as a startup for the foreseeable future. Will this be ok during I-485 adjudication? or do i need a regular job?
Atish.

You need your job just in case of an RFE. You can work on EAD on the side.