PDA

View Full Version : Is it right time to travel in AP?

onemorecame
03-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Please suggest me that whether itís right time to travel in AP. As there is lot of rumor in my office that that on POE IO denying for AP (Payrolee) to enter:confused:, dono how much truth on this? Please share your view and suggestion

Gurus please suggest and please share if anybody had this kind of exp.

Thanks

rvr_jcop
03-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Please suggest me that whether itís right time to travel in AP. As there is lot of rumor in my office that that on POE IO denying for AP (Payrolee) to enter:confused:, dono how much truth on this? Please share your view and suggestion

Thanks

Why fear if you have everything in place and you been here legally in the past. Though I didnt hear anything recently about this, and even if I did, I wouldnt stop traveling for real emergencies. For vacations, thats a different issue.

But again, if you are here legally and you did nothing noteworthy, then it should not be any issue. Thats just my take on it..

LostInGCProcess
03-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Why fear if you have everything in place and you been here legally in the past. Though I didnt hear anything recently about this, and even if I did, I wouldnt stop traveling for real emergencies. For vacations, thats a different issue.

But again, if you are here legally and you did nothing noteworthy, then it should not be any issue. Thats just my take on it..

I concur with you. If you fear, you are going to be fearful of each and every decision that you take in life. AP is a travel Document that one can use to travel abroad and enter US. Period. Why worry about hypothetical scenarios??

onemorecame
03-04-2009, 11:20 AM

I am agreeing with all of your view's that AP is travel document and person can travel at any moment of time. but please try to understand why I am scared at this time.
As I heared news from one of my friend who travelled recently that POE officer stopped few people and called their employer and asked them whether they were able to hire any other person instead of them and after that he sent all of them back. 1 of them is from Deloitte.
I don't want to create any panic my intension is to make sure that is this kind of thing happen to other or not. and ofcourse i don't want to take any kind of risk at this time bca my travel is just for vaccation.

Please share your views

Thanks

aachoo
03-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Is this first hand info or a "I heard that he heard that someone's friend knew someone..."
-a

I am agreeing with all of your view's that AP is travel document and person can travel at any moment of time. but please try to understand why I am scared at this time.
As I heared news from one of my friend who travelled recently that POE officer stopped few people and called their employer and asked them whether they were able to hire any other person instead of them and after that he sent all of them back. 1 of them is from Deloitte.
I don't want to create any panic my intension is to make sure that is this kind of thing happen to other or not. and ofcourse i don't want to take any kind of risk at this time bca my travel is just for vaccation.

Please share your views

Thanks

rvr_jcop
03-04-2009, 11:57 AM

Please share your views

Thanks

Usually CBP dont give a damn about if the company tried to hire american citizens before they hire the H1-B/EAD holders. Thats USCIS job to do that while processing the application. This really seems fishy to me.

immigc06
03-04-2009, 12:11 PM
I know some one who came last week on AP and no problems at all.

GCapplicant
03-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Don't have any fear at all!

I travelled with my kid to India and came back last week.No problem at all.
I came to JFK ...the IO was very polite took FP and sent to Parole section.They just check your status,If you were legal here no problem at all.

Even in Chennai he asked me for visa,I just showed the AP to them.He asked a copy of that...I said I dont have and cant give my copies.
In Dubai transit they told me show the AP ,they just saw Passport and AP picture...thats all.

No problem at all.Enjoy your vactaion.

Nil
03-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Please can you let know if you need a transit visa while traveling on AP, if you do not have a valid H or L stamp on your passport, and changing flights in Europe.

Also, how long does the parole section take at the immigration?

GCapplicant
03-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Please can you let know if you need a transit visa while traveling on AP, if you do not have a valid H or L stamp on your passport, and changing flights in Europe.

Also, how long does the parole section take at the immigration?

I don't have any idea about transit visa via European countries...

That's why I chose Emirates...I have heard people travelling via BRU by Jet Airways.

IO officer took around 20 minutes.

aachoo
03-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Any experience of traveling on AP to a third country for a short business trip?
Third country in this case may potentially be UK and a couple of Schengen countries?
Any issues getting the business visa for UK or Schengen while on AP and a long expired visa stamp?
-a

ksvreg
03-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Please suggest me that whether it’s right time to travel in AP. As there is lot of rumor in my office that that on POE IO denying for AP (Payrolee) to enter:confused:, dono how much truth on this? Please share your view and suggestion

Thanks

Instead of creating new thread for this, I would like to ask same question. Any latest trend in this regard? I am hearing from frineds where they heard from other friends. Any truth? one in hundreds, thousand, lakhs? Are we superisizing one in lakhs case? Please advise. Thanks.

rockstart
03-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Trust me these are nothing but roumors started by some sadistic people. No one is coming forward with real names and experience it is always friends friend or friends cousin etc. These are all false roumors. If your papers are in order there is nothing to fear. America is a country of rules and law. IO's are following a set of rules and not working according to their whims and fancies. If they turn away some with valid papers they also need to have valid reasons to explain their superiors.

Please suggest me that whether it’s right time to travel in AP. As there is lot of rumor in my office that that on POE IO denying for AP (Payrolee) to enter:confused:, dono how much truth on this? Please share your view and suggestion

Thanks

Jerrome
03-23-2009, 10:51 AM
I recently travelled twice in a span of 3 months using my AP. First i was on vacation in december 2008 and came back via houston, no issues.

1 week back from China on business trip via Chicago, Both the times no issues. no questions asked. Not even what was my trip, why i had travelled etc.

However i would suggest the following, Take your w2,latest payslip,employment verification letters,EAD etc.. Just in case you come across someone asks for this.

I don't think you have to worry about this.

ksvreg
03-23-2009, 11:31 AM
I have full confidence on me and my job and my skills. In addition to this, I have all documentes in order related to Immigration, Educaiton, Taxes and Career. But still a little concern about broken system. A broken system is fishy. You never know what is the outcome of it. Sometimes we can not even guess something out of broken system. If you look in the above posts, someone said, POE guy called employer to figure out if someone can be recruited with the same skills. Have we ever think of this before? I call it as a broken system. Broken system does not follow/apply rules correctly. Broken system does not justify good vs bad or genuine vs fake. It randomize results. Anyway, if it is not one in thousands, then I would not concern too much about it. We have to keep an eye on it. Everyday thousands of immigrants/non-immigrants doing international travel. If they are facing tough times, then we might have been seeing thousands of forum posts on this matter. Is not it?

- I accept this is a rumor probably. But it is creating a concern in good guys too.
- I have used AP before. No problem.

vrbest
03-23-2009, 11:58 AM
I dont see any reason to fear if everything is in good order.. Just relax and enjoy your trip! All I hear is rumors.. I had a friend of mine came back on H1B recently and was not asked a single question.. He is fairly new to US too (only 2 years in US total)..

Thanks

jamesbond007
03-23-2009, 12:04 PM
The OP should direct that question to his/her employer and their immigration legal counsel.
The legal people will guide him/her what the travel procedure is in the current times and most likely provide their contact information in case if you need assistance at POE.

If one is ever afraid to travel even with all the proper documentation, then something is very wrong.

GCNirvana007
03-23-2009, 12:08 PM
I don't have any idea about transit visa via European countries...

That's why I chose Emirates...I have heard people travelling via BRU by Jet Airways.

IO officer took around 20 minutes.

GCApplicant - Did the officer asked about your client, employer etc?

VA2008
03-23-2009, 04:24 PM
I travelled twice in the last few months. Both times, the port of entry was JFK. First-time was a little painful as the officer had all the time in the world to ask me irrelevant questions.
Second time, it was busy and the only questions I was asked was
1. How long was my stay 2. What do I do here in US.

If you have a connection make sure that you have sufficient layover time available to you. It took us approx 2 hours to clear the process with only 6-7 applicants ahead of us. Again, this could be only an issue at JFK due to heavy traffic etc.

Bottom line in my opinion is nothing to worry if you have a valid AP and you have an AOS Pending. They did not ask me for any additional documents in both the occasions.

rvr_jcop
03-23-2009, 04:42 PM
The OP should direct that question to his/her employer and their immigration legal counsel.
The legal people will guide him/her what the travel procedure is in the current times and most likely provide their contact information in case if you need assistance at POE.

If one is ever afraid to travel even with all the proper documentation, then something is very wrong.

I agree. Also, nothing would ever stop me from traveling if I have emergency.

There are some officers out there at POE< who interpret AP as valid only for emergency travel, not per se vacations.

gc_kosam
03-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Hello Guru's,

I need all of your thoughts and suggestions on travel to India using AP.

Let me give my background: I filed my I 485 during July 07, I 140 got approved, Got EAD and AP (renewals as well), Invoked AC21 in Oct 08

My wife (she is the derivative applicant) is planning to travel to India some time in June as she need to assist her mother with her medical needs. My wife is planning to stay there in India for 5 months and planning to come back to US before AP expires. My wife doesnít work here. She is travelling with my son (he is a citizen)

But I have some concerns,

1) Can she stay there in India for 5 months on AP? (any experiences pls. share)

2) Does she need to carry any sort of documents when she comes back to US to support her 5 months stay(any experiences pls. share) any mandatory docs?

3) Do I need to be present with her when she comes back (at POE)

Please Guru's please share your experiences, thoughts and advice. So that I can go ahead and purchase tickets for her.

Thanks in Advance.

fall2004us
03-25-2009, 01:18 PM

Please share your views

Thanks

I guess the actual protocol is to send a fax to your employer and letting them know that they are from INS and they would call the employer between certain time to enquire about your employment. Otherwise, any tom dick and harry call up your work place by faking the identity. What if you arrive in the US during night time or a holiday ?
Please correct me if my information is wrong.

hsingh82
03-25-2009, 02:31 PM
I am planning to go out of country for couple of weeks, so I asked my friends about their experiences when they visited India lately. One of my friends said that he was in and out in 15 mins at JFK with no problems at all. Another friend told me that his friend was on AP and working for Big Automaker is given 7 days entry at POE to pack up and go back to India. Some people may refute it saying its again friend of a friend story but I wanted to share it with you all. I have been adding constructively to this forum and I trust my friend who told me this.

jthomas
03-25-2009, 02:57 PM
I travelled twice in the last few months. Both times, the port of entry was JFK. First-time was a little painful as the officer had all the time in the world to ask me irrelevant questions.
Second time, it was busy and the only questions I was asked was
1. How long was my stay 2. What do I do here in US.

If you have a connection make sure that you have sufficient layover time available to you. It took us approx 2 hours to clear the process with only 6-7 applicants ahead of us. Again, this could be only an issue at JFK due to heavy traffic etc.

Bottom line in my opinion is nothing to worry if you have a valid AP and you have an AOS Pending. They did not ask me for any additional documents in both the occasions.

I had similar experience when travellign with AP. They asked me whether I am working and who is my employer. I took me 2 hours to wait for immigration at Atllanta last december.
My question is I have a EAD and i am laid off right now Can i travel to my home town and come back after few months. When i come back the immigration officer may ask me the same questions, Who is my employer and what are my job functions.
I am thinking to port to self employment and state the same duties as per the petitions? Will that be okay

gc_kosam
03-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Guru's Help Needed....Please give me your suggestions/advice on my previous post..Thanks in Advance...

Hello Guru's,

I need all of your thoughts and suggestions on travel to India using AP.

Let me give my background: I filed my I 485 during July 07, I 140 got approved, Got EAD and AP (renewals as well), Invoked AC21 in Oct 08

My wife (she is the derivative applicant) is planning to travel to India some time in June as she need to assist her mother with her medical needs. My wife is planning to stay there in India for 5 months and planning to come back to US before AP expires. My wife doesnít work here. She is travelling with my son (he is a citizen)

But I have some concerns,

1) Can she stay there in India for 5 months on AP? (any experiences pls. share)

2) Does she need to carry any sort of documents when she comes back to US to support her 5 months stay(any experiences pls. share) any mandatory docs?

3) Do I need to be present with her when she comes back (at POE)

Please Guru's please share your experiences, thoughts and advice. So that I can go ahead and purchase tickets for her.

Thanks in Advance.

waitforgc1
03-25-2009, 04:04 PM
I came back from india day before yesterday using AP. My POE is Chicago.
I have also heard many rumours about having issues.

But i havent had any issues at all... Officer didnt even ask me any questions except you
is your employer thats All.

so just relax nothing will happen go ahead and plan your trip and have fun.

americandesi
03-25-2009, 04:23 PM
I am planning to go out of country for couple of weeks, so I asked my friends about their experiences when they visited India lately. One of my friends said that he was in and out in 15 mins at JFK with no problems at all. Another friend told me that his friend was on AP and working for Big Automaker is given 7 days entry at POE to pack up and go back to India. Some people may refute it saying its again friend of a friend story but I wanted to share it with you all. I have been adding constructively to this forum and I trust my friend who told me this.

Let me get this straight. Your friend's friend entered on AP and was given 7 days entry at POE and was asked to pack up and go back to India. I assume that 7 days entry equals 7 days worth of I-94.

Now, there's a big flaw here. It's been clarified in many immigration forms that the expiry of I-94 that comes along with AP doesn't result in unlawful presence unless the beneficiary's I-485 has been denied. So whats the basis on which the beneficiary has to leave US?

Moreover, no officer at POE will give a grace period to enter the country, pack up things and return back to his/her country. It's either admission or denial.

With so many glaring holes, its hard to believe this story.

hsingh82
03-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Let me get this straight. Your friend's friend entered on AP and was given 7 days entry at POE and was asked to pack up and go back to India. I assume that 7 days entry equals 7 days worth of I-94.

Now, there's a big flaw here. It's been clarified in many immigration forms that the expiry of I-94 that comes along with AP doesn't result in unlawful presence unless the beneficiary's I-485 has been denied. So whats the basis on which the beneficiary has to leave US?

Moreover, no officer at POE will give a grace period to enter the country, pack up things and return back to his/her country. It's either admission or denial.

With so many glaring holes, its hard to believe this story.

What you are arguing could be true but the problem is, as someone said, this is a broken system and immigration officers may not know every rule or some may just bring personal instincts. I myself have been told at Canada border by an officer that for H1 transfer I need a new visa stamp but USCIS has clear instructions that it is not true. Anyways, I heard it so shared the story with you all.