PDA

View Full Version : Parents to bring 2 year old niece on visit visa

CantLeaveAmerica
02-19-2009, 10:29 AM
My parents intend to bring my 2 year old niece along with them when they visit the U.S. soon. Questions I have are:

1. Could there be potential visa issues at Chennai embassy when they go to apply for the visa.
2. At the Point of Entry here in U.S., could they reject entry to them for bringing their grand child without the child's parents being present with them?
3. Has anyone faced this situation and worked their way through it?

Please reply soon with thoughts, suggestions and experiences.

Thanks!

TwinkleM
02-19-2009, 11:42 AM
I have no answer to your first question..

But, my 18 month old kid (american citizen) did travel to India with his maternal grandparents, & came back to America with my Uncle's family (who is not an immediate family for my son). The had no issues at the immigration at the port of entry at New York airport. All we did to be on the safer side, wrote few authorization letters (one for Airport & immigration people, one for airline staff people & one for India goverment) authorising the my parents & my uncle to take the necessary medical & travel decissions that are needed to be taken for any kind of medical & other emergencies. For that time period, they will act as the rightful guardian. Also we did attach the copy of me & my husband's passport & driving liceses for signature & identity verification...

Hope this helps.

reddymjm
02-19-2009, 11:46 AM
My parents intend to bring my 2 year old niece along with them when they visit the U.S. soon. Questions I have are:

1. Could there be potential visa issues at Chennai embassy when they go to apply for the visa.
2. At the Point of Entry here in U.S., could they reject entry to them for bringing their grand child without the child's parents being present with them?
3. Has anyone faced this situation and worked their way through it?

Please reply soon with thoughts, suggestions and experiences.

Thanks!

My guess is she will not get the visa. Second thing can be taken care with an authorization letter.

CantLeaveAmerica
02-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks to the both of you. I really appreciate your response. Getting the authorization letters, passport copies, etc was not something I had thought of...thanks again..
btw, do you know if a 2 year old child would need a visa in the first place?..the baby is an indian citizen.

reddymjm
02-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Thanks to the both of you. I really appreciate your response. Getting the authorization letters, passport copies, etc was not something I had thought of...thanks again..
btw, do you know if a 2 year old child would need a visa in the first place?..the baby is an indian citizen.

Yes she needs one.

hpandey
02-19-2009, 12:32 PM
The visa officer would certaily ask them ( unless they get lucky ) that why do they wish to take the 2 year old to US when his/her parents are in India. Its not as if the 2 year old wants to visit places in US or meet people . That makes a strong case of denying the visa to the 2 year old since the visa office would certainly get suspicious if you do not have a really good reason .

Pallavi79
02-19-2009, 12:58 PM
How about taking visa along with baby parents then sending just the baby?

gccovet
02-19-2009, 01:06 PM

1. Not trying to demotivate you, but high chances of VISA refusal for Kid as she is only 2 yr.old.

2. just a thought, Notarize all the authorization letters to be safe.
GCcovet

gcdreamer05
03-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Can you plz share what happened to this case as I want to bring my niece too..

Humhongekamyab
03-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Bump...need to know the result...my parents are planning to travel to US with my nephew.