PDA

View Full Version : Passport renewal after expiry(issued for 5 years)

Cherrymn
02-17-2009, 05:29 PM
I was initially issued pp for 5 years in India. Last year in '08 when it was expiring, i sent application for renewal of passport (NY Consulate) based on my EAD. However, instead of renewing it for another 5 years they renewed it for 1 year only. When I called the office, they said that they receive tons of pp's lon EAD which can be renewed for a year only.

Did anybody face this same problem? Can I apply for new passport based on I-485 receipt and would they issue passport for another 5 or 10 years?

Thanks in advance

webm
02-17-2009, 05:36 PM
Which Indian consulate is this??

Cherrymn
02-17-2009, 05:38 PM
this was NY Consulate

wandmaker
02-17-2009, 07:18 PM
I was initially issued pp for 5 years in India. Last year in '08 when it was expiring, i sent application for renewal of passport (NY Consulate) based on my EAD. However, instead of renewing it for another 5 years they renewed it for 1 year only. When I called the office, they said that they receive tons of pp's lon EAD which can be renewed for a year only.

Did anybody face this same problem? Can I apply for new passport based on I-485 receipt and would they issue passport for another 5 or 10 years?

Thanks in advance

In this economy you need to generate good revenue - this is a good revenue for Indian missions'.

BTW, As far as I heard from Indian Consular Officer in Chicago - Indian Mission has a right to issue a 1 year passport, if (1) Your previous passport had < 10 yr validity or (2) you are on a temporary visa (like visiting or tourist) trying to renew it in overseas or (3) you have not stayed outside India continuously for 3 years.

Cherrymn
02-18-2009, 11:12 AM
Surprisingly, they do not charge for this service. Since I would be applying for renewal of my pp and not for a new pp, they do not charge anything. The only problem is remembering and sending it to them for renewal which is also time consuming.