PDA

View Full Version : Friends Parents Sick, Guidance on Insurance / Travel

bpratap
08-29-2011, 04:02 PM
One of my Friend's dad is sick and is in ICU in USA. His dad is a Heart Patient and fell sick n had to taken to Emergency Care. as the Condition was very bad he was taken to the County Hospital and is in ICU for the last one week.

1. What are the options to deal with the Medical Expenses. (The have a travel Insurance from India, guess its for $50,000)

2. What are the options to Fly him back to India once he come out of ICU/ Hospital.

Will Airlines allow Sick People to travel ? May be Business class ?

Appreciate your recommendations and guidance.

smuggymba
08-29-2011, 04:28 PM
One of my Friend's dad is sick and is in ICU in USA. His dad is a Heart Patient and fell sick n had to taken to Emergency Care. as the Condition was very bad he was taken to the County Hospital and is in ICU for the last one week.

1. What are the options to deal with the Medical Expenses. (The have a travel Insurance from India, guess its for $50,000)

2. What are the options to Fly him back to India once he come out of ICU/ Hospital.

Will Airlines allow Sick People to travel ? May be Business class ?

Appreciate your recommendations and guidance.

1.) you can always negotiate with the hospital on the bill. There was a great post almost a year back on this, I'll try to search.

2.) don't advise your friend to sign the hospital papers; the hospital will pressurize but don't - that way your friend is not directly responsible for a potential huge bill.

xs2sharad
08-29-2011, 04:28 PM
There are 100's of people not able to afford Healthcare and live in US and go to Hospitals.. Just make sure ur frd does nt sign anything..

Hospital will only discharge him once he is Stable.. and bills will come at home which ur frd is not liable for

schumy_micheal
08-29-2011, 05:00 PM
As earlier posters said, I can't restate the importance of "Do not sign any hospital papers".

In my understanding the travel insurance won't cover the medical expenses. Hope your friends father get well soon..

Regards
Prem

bpratap
08-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Thank you all for the valuable suggestions.

I believe my Friend haven't signed any papers at the hospital. that's what he told me.

Once his dad is in a stable condition, they are planning to take him back to India ASAP, to continue further treatment as He is a Heart patient. Any recommendations on how to make travel arrangements ?

Does International Airlines give any Pref to Sick travelers ? Will they allow only 1 Passenger to be upgraded to Business class, if req. ?

Is there any alternate ?