PDA

View Full Version : URGENT help required

sidd_k2002
02-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Hello All,
I am in a very odd situation which i would like to explain and get help from people here. I am a computer science student,who came on a F1 visa in USA in Jan 2007. I studied hard, and got good grades , and thereby got an internship in a good company immediately after 1 year , in Feb 2008. I was working on CPT(Curicullar practical training i.e work permit),which was full time, until Jan 2009 ,when i graduated.
Now i want to call my parents on a Vistors B category visa for my graduation.
I have a full time job since one year, so i am thinking of the fact , whether i could send a sponsorship letter to them in order for them to visit for my graduation ceremony. I have already taken a invitation letter from my school to invite them. Following are the points of my concern.

1: It was shown 2 years back that my father sponsored me for my education. So is it fair enough to show that i am sponsoring him immediately after 2 years?. Please note that i m still on F1 visa, and working now on my OPT. (My H1 will be filed this time in April 2009)
2: I read in a forum that students cannot sponsor there parents for there visitors visa for there graduation, because they are the ones ,who take there sponsorship, when they come for there studies. Is this true enough, even if i am working for 1 year now.
3: My father has already retired from a bank job, so he is not working. All his funds are in FDs (about 7 lacs), with a liquid cash of around 8 lacs in the bank, and a pension amount of 9,000 rs per month( which is quite low to tell to the visa officer). Is it okay for him to show his self sponsorship for him and my mother in this case? Will these funds be okay? If he is retired then will his income be not asked by the officer.
4: My parents visa has got rejected twice 3 years back, when they were trying to visit USA, under the sponsorship of my cousin. Then will this thing affect the issue this time again?

Friends i really want my parents to visit me for my graduation this MAY.They are in a dilemma about what to do in this situation. Please advice me in this case.
Thanks in advance

reddy_h
02-10-2009, 06:53 PM
You can sponsor for your parent's visitor visa for your graduation ceremony.

sidd_k2002
02-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Guys i need some more information than this, and this is really urgent.Please share your views about this. I am really worried.

bbenhill
02-10-2009, 09:22 PM
If you have land/home or property then you can show that to the officer. That will show the intend to go back from US. I think for graduation purpose is good enough. at least they will grant around 1 month.

please giv me green if this is help :D

Thx

hpandey
02-10-2009, 09:23 PM
The bigger problem is that your parents visa has already been rejected twice and that would be in their database. And that was when your parents were working. Now they are also retired which also adds another complication since the visa officers look to see if the people who a asking for a visitors visa have anything left in India to come back to ( like real estate , good bank balances , jobs , family etc )

I don't think it matters much if you are sponsering them or they are paying for it themselves.. its the twice visa denial in past that might be the key.

kedrex
02-10-2009, 10:37 PM
I was in a similar situation and sponsored my parents, sister and bro in law. The univ. graduation letter made a big difference and they got their visa.

snathan
02-11-2009, 01:20 AM
Please contribute

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23597&page=1000

sidd_k2002
02-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Kederex,
Were you working on H1 when you sponsored your parents for graduation? Because i am working on my OPT and that fears me most when i think of sponsoring my parents, since OPT is nothing but simply a part of F1 visa

LostInGCProcess
02-11-2009, 03:31 PM
sidd_k2002, Just move forward and sent the necessary sponsorship letter so that they can go ahead and get the visitors visa. Do you have any brothers and sisters living in India that are still with your parents? If so, they can show that as a reason why they would not like to stay back in US.
Stop worrying and think positive. Since Graduation is a BIG event and its once in a life-time event, the presence of parents at the honoring ceremony is the dream for every child. Your parents should convey this point to the VO.

Good Luck!!! Don't worry!!! Don't think too much!!! Just do the right thing!!! Everything should be okay...

sidd_k2002
02-11-2009, 06:35 PM
No i dont have any brothers or sisters. I am the alone child of my parents.

eyeswe
02-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Sidd_
You can call your parents here for graduation. As someone mentioned an Univ letter will def make a difference.
However "sponsoring" is a bit more tricky, given that you are on F1. If you hav steady income GA/RA you can use that to support.If you have savings from your OPT, you can use that as well. the thing taht is tricky is you do have to assume a certain amount of expense for parents for the period that they may be in US and compare that to your savings, if you are the sponsorer.
Their rejections will be in the db and could be a bother, esp if you are the only child (not sure if that is in US or you have siblings in India). Your parents will need solid proof to convince that they intend to return.Something like a return airticket etc could make some difference
My 2c. As always my note is not legal advice

sidd_k2002
02-11-2009, 08:46 PM
eyeswe:
Thanks for your detail explanation. I dont have any siblings in India, and i am an alone child. Regarding my savings, i have been a full time employee of the company for which i work since i was on my CPT and now as i am on my OPT. Now the question to me is that since i have about 16k dollars in my saving account right now, should i sponsor them based on my OPT or should i just remit all the amount back to india back into my fathers account, and ask him to self sponsor him.
I have heard that the visa officer does ask you about the transactions that are fairly big and failry recent ones. Woudnt it create a further doubt if i transfer this savings back to my fathers account, and be in more problem.
Please Guys , if you can share your advice here, it would be really helpful for me here. I really dont want my parents visa to get rejected the third time.
Sidd