PDA

View Full Version : Media Campaign - DO you support

snathan
02-10-2009, 01:54 PM
As the economy is on its tailspin, the backlash is growing against immigrants. We have to make sure the public is aware of the real scenario. One way is to increase the awareness - the media campaign. I am thinking two possible ways.

1. NPR – nation public radio
2. Local desi channels

NPR will create the awareness among the American public where as the desi channels will get us more members.

In NPR, we can either arrange for talk show or sponsor some popular shows. Most of the people listening to NPR during driving to/from work. These are prime time and if you want to sponsor a program, its going to cost more.

We need a focus group with at least with 100 guys who can donate at least $100 a month

If you guys are ready, I can find out more information and work with IV core on this.

The goals are to increase the public awareness and get more members. We need to get ride of the free riders also.

So please poll here if you are ready for this.

Please dont forget to add your id and comment here.

snathan
02-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Guys please post your id also here...

Hopeful1
02-10-2009, 03:00 PM
This is a great idea...let's make it happen.

maverick_s39
02-10-2009, 03:03 PM
great idea, tom ashbrook who hosts onpoint on npr is very smart guy and he is pro-immigration, if we can get him to take up this topic it will boost our efforts

snathan
02-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Bump

waitforevergc
02-10-2009, 03:57 PM
there is a new front page article on cnn about illegals moving back from US.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/10/immigrants.economy/index.html

Since there is so much focus on illegal immigration, maybe we can write up a thorough letter and post on CNN like Lou Dobbs (i know he is against immigration, but we can win him over with legitimate points) or other blogs..
Someone will take up our issue.

snathan
02-10-2009, 04:10 PM
there is a new front page article on cnn about illegals moving back from US.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/10/immigrants.economy/index.html

Since there is so much focus on illegal immigration, maybe we can write up a thorough letter and post on CNN like Lou Dobbs (i know he is against immigration, but we can win him over with legitimate points) or other blogs..
Someone will take up our issue.

I don’t think we need win Lou dog and you can not convince him as he is anti-immigrant. Lets try to make the ordinary people understand our cause and dont confuse with illegals. We dont have to get into that.

waitforevergc
02-10-2009, 04:16 PM
is it an option to compose all points and sent to editorials of major newspapers?

snathan
02-10-2009, 04:19 PM
is it an option to compose all points and sent to editorials of major newspapers?

We can do it one time. But if you sponsor a program in NPR, its daily. People will hear the IV name everyday. I will bring in other people and awareness.

newbie2020
02-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Have u seen http://www.americanworker.org

If we need to fight we need to come up with similar AD's on various channels including web...

snathan
02-10-2009, 04:35 PM
If we are able to get more support, we can do that.

snathan
02-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Guys....Please post your ids here. Otherwise there is no way to know who are all supporting.

snathan
02-10-2009, 06:46 PM
^^^^^^^^^

RNGC
02-10-2009, 06:49 PM
I support this....

snathan
02-10-2009, 09:01 PM
bump

snathan
02-11-2009, 12:33 AM
actually our situation is similar to a bunch of people sitting under a mango tree ..the green mangoes on the tree represent the green card.
those waiting for the mango are standing on a uncertain muddy ground and few will sink in the sand (due to job losses).
we have some robbers (labor substitutions) who climb the tree, steal the mangoes and run away.
the natives (only the anti-immigrants) want to cut down the tree so that no immigrant gets a mango
a majority or us who are waiting patiently are the law abiding ...but we wait for the mango to fall on our head rather than doing something to make the mango fall ..while waiting we fight and discuss silly issues (whether we should buy a house - how to get our maid on visa :)).
some of us while our status was on quick sand - went ahead and built a house thinking that GC would follow
now if only all of us were to come up with an effective plan and shake the tree or throw tons of stones on the tree ..then maybe everyone would get a mango sooner.
------------
I have one such idea (this does not cost much money) ..let us all go and meet realtors / home brokers etc ..show genuine interest in buying a house but after few days tell the realtor that since GC has been delayed ..u are cancelling your interest in home buying.
those who are homeowners already (with more at stake) ..should contact lawmakers that because of gc delays ...your house is at risk.
WARNING ...before attacking this idea ..come up with a better one

I dont think couple hundered guys are going to make any difference in the housing market. They lost hundereds of billions of dollors. I believe IV core group is working on the core issues. So let us try to get more funding, members and create more awareness. For that only I am coming up with this idea. Please do help.

JazzByTheBay
02-11-2009, 01:01 AM
And we need to take all available and appropriate routes.

I would strongly recommend using press releases as an advocacy tool - we should get out there with our messages on a regular basis. Anonymous comments in blog posts and articles on web sites do little besides engaging the wrong crowd in a battle of words that's difficult to win at best in the current environment.

jazz

I dont think couple hundered guys are going to make any difference in the housing market. They lost hundereds of billions of dollors. I believe IV core group is working on the core issues. So let us try to get more funding, members and create more awareness. For that only I am coming up with this idea. Please do help.

snathan
02-11-2009, 01:26 AM
^^^^^^^

srinivas06
02-11-2009, 02:01 AM
Yes. I will support

BECsufferer
02-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Media such as NPR is good stage to educate people about our plight as well as situation. but how many of you think the viewers or listeners are in mood to lend sympathetic ear? With un-employment increasing everyday and lay-offs announced as timing of dawn by weather channel, it's politically in-correct timing. Let's stay patient for moment, let the economy dark clouds pass by or atleast have the political drama subside, than we make a move.

snathan
02-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Media such as NPR is good stage to educate people about our plight as well as situation. but how many of you think the viewers or listeners are in mood to lend sympathetic ear? With un-employment increasing everyday and lay-offs announced as timing of dawn by weather channel, it's politically in-correct timing. Let's stay patient for moment, let the economy dark clouds pass by or atleast have the political drama subside, than we make a move.

We are not going to plead or beg anything. Its either going to be a talk show or sponsoring a popular program.

If you are going to sponsor, they are going to say 'This part is sponsored with support from IV working for fariness and justice for immigration' or something like this.

I dont think it will create any backlash. just going just create awareness about IV

prince_waiting
02-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Some time back there was a suggestion on this forum to send members of congress copies of our diplomas, patents, citations, research papers etc. We need to do something along that line for the media. All of us know that apart from paying higher taxes some of us are into developing new products, technologies and patents. I propose we should highlight these contributions to the media and put them into monetary units so that they can understand them.

For ex: I am a MS in EE and I am working in an avionics company (20 employees). As a part of a team ( 3 Americans, 2 Indians (both H1Bs), 1 Chinese, testing and verification support provided by HCL India ) for the past 4 years have been developing a state of the art Atittude Heading Reference and Air Data system. With the project about to end soon, the company is set to tap the aersopace market for this product with projected sales of a minimum USD 5-6 million for the next 10 years. I dont know the exact tax code but to me it looks like a lot of revenue for the tax man.

We need to break free from the 'underpaid H1B software programmer' image and position ourself as 'potential wealth and value creating, highly educated immigrants'. Hard numbers might be able to make some people realize our true worth as contributors to the well being of the United States.

h1techSlave
02-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Does IV core agree with this idea?

prince_waiting
02-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Name: No point in being nameless now

Education: Mention degrees obtained and of course alma mater ( US institutions, IITs would definitely be noticed )

Professional Expertise: Engineer/Doctor/Researcher/Analyst

Profile of Company working for: A link to the website would be most helpful with a short description

Your Contribution to the project: Developed an algorithm, filed a patent, Developed a product etc

Economic impact of the project you are working if it succeeds: $$$ would catch attention (possible news items, market surveys would also assist)

P.S: If anybody is scared that posting such information on the web might lead to some undesirable consequences then state chapters can handle this activity at a local level

snathan
02-11-2009, 02:29 PM

If we can get enough support...then we can talk to IV core.

snathan
02-11-2009, 03:14 PM

If we can get enough support...then we can talk to IV core.

Hopeful1
02-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Count me in...

needhelp!
02-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Folks, I don't want to dampen the enthusiasm, but Texas chapter had put very few ads on local south asian radio station and it was something like $25 for a 30 second slot. If you sponsor a show, it is much more.

I'm guessing NPR will be pricier.

And one or two random ads won't work, we will have to continue for at least a few months for listeners to recognize the name.

So the target funds required may be tens of thousands to sustain such a mainstream campaign.

snathan
02-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Folks, I don't want to dampen the enthusiasm, but Texas chapter had put very few ads on local south asian radio station and it was something like $25 for a 30 second slot. If you sponsor a show, it is much more.

I'm guessing NPR will be pricier.

And one or two random ads won't work, we will have to continue for at least a few months for listeners to recognize the name.

So the target funds required may be tens of thousands to sustain such a mainstream campaign.

Yes thats true. If we have enough support then only we can think about it. if we can gather 100-200 folks who can contribute $100 a month, can not we do this?

yes...its going to be pricy. But no option.

Hopeful1
02-11-2009, 04:36 PM
This is going to be pricy but name recognition to IV and Legal Immigrants as a group will go long way to strengthen our cause.

Guys, support this initiative and you can hear our sales pitch yourself.

snathan
02-11-2009, 05:47 PM
^^^^^

snathan
02-11-2009, 10:47 PM
no Takers?

geevikram
02-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Will support..

snathan
02-12-2009, 07:13 PM
snathan I like your enthusiasm but why do you think your idea will work and not others ?
lets find fault with yours ...your plan needs money (good luck with that)...mine doesn't (it is bit late for my plan and I do agree that thousands and thousands will be needed). I know many listen to NPR ..but how many will actually pay attention to immigration ..most natives want immigration stopped now ...also ..how many congressmen listen to NPR ?
Desi channels would be complete waste of time and money. desis know that immigration is broken
from an American's point of view - your solution increases his problem ...they would wish that immigrants go back so that natives are employed.
mine says ..houses are not being purchased because of delays in GC ..if houses are purchased - it creates jobs.
US is a capitalist country ..there is no room for pity .. most are very very selfish and if you make money for them they are happy ..if you take away their jobs (or money) they are angry.
and if you go back to my example about mango and people ..the more stones we throw the better it is ..so don't oppose other people's ideas ..btw ..I do support your plan ..in my view the more the better ..and more the participation better

I am not here to find fault with anyone. Its just my opinion and you are more than welcome to express yours. As long as we are getting something done, I am OK with that. Thats the only goal. My opinion - our money is just drop in the ocean when it comes to housing mess and I am not sure how many guys in H1 or even in EAD ready to buy house or would be able to afford it? May be 1000 or 10000?

IV has around 30K memebers, so far only 36 guys supported even for $100. I dont have much hope either.

snathan
02-12-2009, 09:40 PM
it is not a question whether it is a drop or 2 drops ..what prevents a person from visiting a realtor even if he has a house ? we just have to sell our cause ..No GC no buying of house ..or just show that we are ready to buy a house but GC is preventing it ...no harm in trying.
actually I had come up with another good suggestion but as usual someone comes and shoots it down (in this case it was Pappu) . ..when we try to increase membership or funds ..we have to show that IV is trying something ...
my other suggestion was a flower campaign to USCIS ..Thanking them for the GC delays (and visa wastage) which has prevented hardworking legal immigrants from buying a house when prices were at peak. we can tell media or whoever wants to listen that people are waiting for 9 plus years while some who misuse the system gets GC fast
just think ...say it generates lot of media attention ..USCIS will be red faced and then may have to tell congress that it needs more staff and increase in visas ..

I am not saying you are wrong...its was just my opinion. But the only problem is there are lot of free riders in IV and doesnt want spend even a penny.

snathan
02-12-2009, 09:42 PM
How about a flower campaign to White House

sri1309
02-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Please write to the president at change.gov under agenda/immigration and submit your ideas, pains.
Also
I have collected some email addresses (you may get more).

NY Times : letters@nytimes.com,
Washington post : letters@washpost.com
San Jose Mercury News : letters@mercurynews.com
(CNN online to submit a story): http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form11b.html?1
Fox News: americasnewsroom@foxnews.com
LA Times : letters@latimes.com
Boston Globe : letter@globe.com

USA Today : http://feedbackforms.usatoday.com/ma...e.aspx?type=12
Arizona republic : newstips@arizonarepublic.com
Baltimore Sun: publiceditor@baltsun.com
Chicago Sun times: mcooke@suntimes.com
Chicago tribune : ctc-tribletter@tribune.com
The Dallas Morning News: businessnews@dallasnews.com
Denver POst: newsroom@denverpost.com
Houston Chronicle: laura.goldberg@chron.com
New york daily news : voicers@edit.nydailynews.com
Philadelphia enquirer: http://www.philly.com/philly/about/feedback/
Pittsburg post gazette: http://biz.post-gazette.com/contact/...orm.aspx?ID=40
San francisco chronicle: http://www.sfgate.com/feedback/
Seattle times : http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/fla...ml?tab=newst

krishnam70
02-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Use the blogs, myspace, twitter. Write on the blogs of cafferty, Rick sanchez etc make it a talking point rather than a slinging match. We need to score with valid points rather than baloney. Lets speak with some examples with some figures. People understand better with examples

kris

snathan
03-05-2009, 03:25 AM
No More takers for this...?

shivaniraina
03-05-2009, 12:26 PM
I am thinking of writing to Fareed Zakaria. He recently wrote an article in newsweek which appeared to be pro-immigration specially with this comparison to Canada. I will request if he can talk about it in GPS weekly that comes on Sunday at 1 on CNN. I do not expect much but will atleast try.

gc_wow
03-05-2009, 12:28 PM
How much a 30 second ad on CNN would cost?

chanduv23
03-05-2009, 12:37 PM
I am thinking of writing to Fareed Zakaria. He recently wrote an article in newsweek which appeared to be pro-immigration specially with this comparison to Canada. I will request if he can talk about it in GPS weekly that comes on Sunday at 1 on CNN. I do not expect much but will atleast try.

Hmmm - this is how I see it. Vivek Wadhwa, Fareed Zakaria all these are people of Indian origin and they will also be associated with this mess.

We need to gear up against what is happening. Do not expect anything that will sympathize or favor us.

Only option is "unite and stand up together" do not give into the crap.

I see lot of desis trying to be street smart at these times - it is not gonna work

vactorboy29
03-05-2009, 12:50 PM
I support media campaign with contribution but with the massage about who we (Legal Immigrants) are?As of now where we stand and how we are helping to build this nations economy and strengthening USA's innovation edge over the WORLD.

snathan
04-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Come on guys....give support

naveenkprasadam
04-16-2009, 06:27 PM

Yup Fareed zakaria is very influential.FareedZakariaGPS@cnn.com see this one on CNN website but its kind of only for GPS.

naveenkprasadam
04-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Come on guys....give support

count me in for da support

naveenkprasadam
04-16-2009, 06:33 PM
wondering how about all of us (may be like 100) send mails to all the above e-mail id with the same subject(thinking it might bring the attention of the editors or responsible parties)

dummgelauft
04-16-2009, 10:08 PM
1) Only desis listen to desi shows.
2) Only Left Wingers (mostly pro-immigrant, or non-anti-immigrants, listen to NPR).

We need a half page advert in New York Times and other news papers.
We need Farid Zakaria to talk about this on CNN.
We need Anderson Cooper and Soledad O'Brien to talk about this.

We need

naveenkprasadam
04-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Know we have best brains over here.People think n lets brain storm how can we get the attention of Anderson Cooper.This year is the right year to get the attention.

Nil
04-16-2009, 11:35 PM
1) Only desis listen to desi shows.
2) Only Left Wingers (mostly pro-immigrant, or non-anti-immigrants, listen to NPR).

We need a half page advert in New York Times and other news papers.
We need Farid Zakaria to talk about this on CNN.
We need Anderson Cooper and Soledad O'Brien to talk about this.

We need

FZ has already talked about this twice on GPS.
Pls can we have a more candid view of the actual expenses per effort? 'Will help lobby for raising the money.
Is IV core supporting this all-out?

jthomas
04-17-2009, 12:34 AM
Add NPR radio show
and other radio shows too.

Lets all of us start emailing a entire list of media.

1. Letters to Obama/Senators for legal immigrations
2. Letters to all leading newspapers

rayoflight
04-17-2009, 02:18 AM
I worked as a consultant for NPR before. Please let me know if I have to reach out to someone at NPR.

Thanks,
Rayoflight

snathan
04-17-2009, 03:34 PM
I worked as a consultant for NPR before. Please let me know if I have to reach out to someone at NPR.

Thanks,
Rayoflight

Can you let us know how much it would cost for NPR if we want to hold a talk show or sponsoring any program