PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys know abt this ongoing ?

gv007
08-17-2011, 01:46 PM
A colleague sent me the link to sign up and i did , but i havent seen any reference hence the post
at www.petiton2congress.com/4771/retain-high-skilled-legal-immigrants-in-usa/

Apologies if you are already aware of this

lostcause2007
08-17-2011, 02:01 PM
The link does not seem to work.
But honestly, my friend, such online petitions (aka spam msgs from the congress point of view) do not really work. What really works is day-to-day advocacy and lobbying by orgs like IV and lobby events of the type IV had last yr and April this yr where members meet lawmaker offices and present information in a professional manner that makes them sit up and listen. Its a slow process but an effective one. I doubt if the lawmakers care about online anonymous petitions.
Thanks for sharing anyway.

A colleague sent me the link to sign up and i did , but i havent seen any reference hence the post
at www.petiton2congress.com/4771/retain-high-skilled-legal-immigrants-in-usa/

Apologies if you are already aware of this

sorcerer666
08-17-2011, 02:22 PM
The link does not seem to work.
But honestly, my friend, such online petitions (aka spam msgs from the congress point of view) do not really work. What really works is day-to-day advocacy and lobbying by orgs like IV and lobby events of the type IV had last yr and April this yr where members meet lawmaker offices and present information in a professional manner that makes them sit up and listen. Its a slow process but an effective one. I doubt if the lawmakers care about online anonymous petitions.
Thanks for sharing anyway.

Totally agree with lostcause, Here are the effective methods of advocacy NP Action - Tips on Effective Advocacy (http://www.npaction.org/article/articleview/613/1/229)

Isn't there a guide to meet lawmakers on IV??

lostcause2007
08-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Its all here on the IV site -

ImmigrationVoice.org - Advocacy -- Capitol Hill Basics (http://immigrationvoice.capwiz.com/immigrationvoice/issues/basics/?style=comm)

I remember starsun and pappu saying they should be contacted prior to official lawmaker visits so you get the material to take to these offices. My friend attended the IV advocacy day in April 2011 and that is how I came to know of IV. He gave a glowing review of the preparation that went behind the lawmaker meetings. Idea is to keep meeting lawmaker offices in local districts whenever possible and then when something important (such as a bill) comes up, there will be more specific action items. Pls correct me if I am wrong.
Based on IV's recent testimony on capitol hill, looks like something is cookign and I hope some legislative relief comes out of efforts. otherwise EB3 I is completely screwed.

Totally agree with lostcause, Here are the effective methods of advocacy NP Action - Tips on Effective Advocacy (http://www.npaction.org/article/articleview/613/1/229)

Isn't there a guide to meet lawmakers on IV??

sorcerer666
08-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Thanks mate!! I just dropped them a line via the feedback form. I live in downtown of a major city and the lawmaker offices are literally across the street from me. As a matter of fact one of the senior senators is my "neighbor". Anyhow, the point is given enough material, it isn't too hard for me to contact the two senators in my city.

Its all here on the IV site -

ImmigrationVoice.org - Advocacy -- Capitol Hill Basics (http://immigrationvoice.capwiz.com/immigrationvoice/issues/basics/?style=comm)

I remember starsun and pappu saying they should be contacted prior to official lawmaker visits so you get the material to take to these offices. My friend attended the IV advocacy day in April 2011 and that is how I came to know of IV. He gave a glowing review of the preparation that went behind the lawmaker meetings. Idea is to keep meeting lawmaker offices in local districts whenever possible and then when something important (such as a bill) comes up, there will be more specific action items. Pls correct me if I am wrong.

forever_waiting
08-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Completely agree about the importance of meeting lawmakers. I was the IV advocacy day in April 2011 and met several offices. Then later when one of the bills by Lofgren was introduced (I think it was IDEA act), I got an email from couple of the staffers I met enquiring whether the bill was in line with the IV proposal packet that we had submitted! Which really meant that they remembered and kept record. I truly hope the recent IV testimony and behind-the-scenes work leads to some useful bill come up in the near future.