PDA

View Full Version : 'Conditional' Green card for buying Foreclosed property - An initiative

skpanda
08-16-2011, 10:49 PM
NOTE: This poll is only for those who are waiting for their PD to be current or has just started their green card process. If any of you has already received your Green Card or your PD is current and expect your Green Card in near future, please do not participate in the poll. This will help us provide better statistics.

Friends,

This thread is created in response to below news article.

White house seeks ideas to fix foreclosure glut: White House seeks ideas to shrink foreclosure glut - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/White-House-seeks-ideas-to-rb-804949606.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=7&asset=&ccode=)

Thanks to our member friend 'h1techSlave' for posting this article in IV and thanks to many other friends in the below thread (background section below) who have contributed ideas and encouraged me to start this new thread. Special thanks to 'helpful_leo', 'greencard.wait', 'alecshermon', 'tampacoolie', 'psagarn', 'imh1b', and 'mayhemt' for their ideas and encouragement.

Objective:

To propose a solution to White House's call for fixing the Home market which is the root cause of fall of our great economy. The proposal would request White House to bring in a legislation that would provide a Conditional Green Card to those who are in EB categories waiting for their turn to get green card and will buy a foreclosed/Regular property in USA.

This initiative is to gather feedback on the proposal from all of you so that IV and individual members can communincate to White house.

Is this possible? May be or May be not
Will this fall into deaf ears? May be or May be not

In any case if we believe in IV's purpose and core agenda to bring relief to Immigrant community, we have to keep trying in any which way possible.

Background:

Please see the below thread for background information on why this new thread was started.

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/2309313-white-house-seeks-ideas-to-fix-foreclosure-glut.html

Related Articles:

After we started discussing on this proposal in the above thread, we were pleased to see some other groups/individuals suggesting similar ideas outside IV. Below are few links.

a. Vivek Wadhwa - Very apt and similar proposal to ours.

How a change to the visa laws could reverse the housing slump - Ideas@Innovations - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/innovations/post/how-a-change-to-the-visa-laws-could-reverse-the-housing-slump/2011/08/16/gIQADVI9IJ_blog.html)

b. FusionIQ CEO Barry Ritholtz - This one invites people from outside USA which may not be the direction we want to go but the basic idea is good.

“Drift Lower” Is BEST-Case Scenario for Housing, Ritholtz Says | Daily Ticker - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/drift-lower-best-case-scenario-housing-ritholtz-says-140042867.html)

Draft Letter:

I have written a draft letter that we can send to white house and all concerned parties. This is still a 'Work in Progress' document. This document will need to be improved to state credible facts, references and numbers and any other suggestions that you can come up with.

High Level Details of the Proposal: For complete details please refer to the attached draft letter.

Give conditional green card to people who have already filed for EB based green card. Remove the conditions only when beneficiary keeps his side of the bargain.

Possible conditions on the green card:

a. Beneficiary should be already legally employed in USA. This ensures that we are not bringing in people from outside the country which may impact the job market.

b. Beneficiary should offer significant but reasonable cash down payment to buy the property. Probably 50% of cost.

c. Remove the conditions on Green Card only when beneficiary does not sell their properties before 5 years and they do NOT default on the Property Tax obligations.

Few advantages:

a. No cost to tax payers money.

b. Assuming average cost for a home to be: 200,000
Say half million (500,000) people avail this opportunity in the 1st year. Total number of Foreclosed/Regular properties out of the Market in 1 year: Half Million (500,000)
Total Amount pumped into US economy in a single year: $ 50 Billion cash.

c. Mortgage industry will revive because of the loans that these high skilled employed workers will take to fund rest of their home cost.

d. No need to give any extra green cards. These people would have got their green cards anyways (of course after a painful wait of few decades).

e. Further these new 'conditional' green card holders will be encouraged to invest in USA (instead of sending savings to home country - billions of dollars every year) in buying new cars, furniture, start new businesses and other activities. This will be boost to our economy and job creation.

f. This will stop to brain drain of highly skilled immigrants and give a boost to US competitiveness.

Next Steps:

a. Gather support from IV core group.

b. Gather inputs from all members on this initiative and improve the draft letter.

c. Chalk out a strategy so that this initiative has maximum effect in obtaining the desired result. Draft letter to be sent to White House and other related parties thru USPS Mail/Email/Website Contact/Any other means of contact.

Survery Questions:

I have added a poll to this thread. Please respond and help us.

I could not find any option that would allow me to put multiple questions in the poll (if somebody knows how to do this, please PM me). Therefore below are some more questions that will help us get some statistics. Question 2, 3 and 4 are optional, however I encourage you to provide your inputs on the same for us to better provide information to White House. Credit goes to 'helpful_lep' for coming up with these questions. Please post a reply with your inputs.

1. Will you invest in a new home in your community if a new law allows for such an investment to fast track your green card application and removes wait times?

A. Yes. 1st time buyer.
B. Yes. Investment property (Already own a home in USA)
C. No
D. May be

2. If you answered yes above, what is the anticipated budget range for your housing investment?

A. < 150,000
B. $150,000- 300,000
C. $300,000 - $500,000
D. > $500,000

3. If you answered yes to Q1, what percentage of cost are you able to provide as downpayment?

A. <10%
B. 10-20%
C. 20-50%
D. >50%

4. What prevents you from investing in a home in your current non-immigrant (i.e. non-Green Card) status?

A. Uncertainty of future US permanent residence/ immigrant status
B. Restrictions or bottlenecks in obtaining mortgage in current status
C. Uncertainty about housing market or economy
D. Other personal or financial factors

IV Core Team: We would appreciate your support if you guyz think this initiative deserves it.

Thank you very much in advance for your active participation. Together we can bring change.

h1techSlave
08-17-2011, 07:29 AM
Great initiative. I especially liked your acknowledgement that our efforts may or may not produce results. We would still try; "because journey is the destination".

Now I have objections or suggestions to two of your core proposals.

b. Beneficiary should offer significant but reasonable cash down payment to buy the property. Probably 50% of cost.

We have a wrong impression that we need to invest our own money to lift the economy. This is incorrect. Whether we put 0% or 100% down payment, it does not matter from an economic impact perspective. This was discussed by tampacoolie in the other thread.

The whole idea is that maximum number of houses should be taken off of the market using prime (not sub-prime) mortgages. For that to take place the down payment should be 20%. More than 20% will result in very little homes being bought. Less than 20% may result in the houses coming back to the foreclosure market.

c. Remove the conditions on Green Card only when beneficiary does not sell their properties before 5 years and they do NOT default on the Property Tax obligations.

What if the person receives his regular green card prior to this 5 years period? Does his citizenship eligibility clock ticks during this 5 years?

In my opinion this conditional GC itself is not needed. With a 20% down payment, there is very little chance that the purchased house will come back to the foreclosure market. If the house is being sold in the regular way (even at a loss), there is no problem from an economic perspective. Actually the government should encourage more selling, since it boosts economic activity and brings in taxes and jobs to all parties involved.

So my suggestion is to remove this point as a whole. Whoever purchases a foreclosed property simply gets a regular GC and that is the end of it. This also makes our suggestion very simple and easy to explain to lawmakers.

Thanks again for taking up this.

mayhemt
08-17-2011, 07:46 AM
Objective:

To propose a solution to White House's call for fixing the Home Foreclosure which is the root cause of fall of our great economy. The proposal would request White House to bring in a legislation that would provide a Conditional Green Card to those who are in EB categories waiting for their turn to get green card and will buy a foreclosed property in USA.

Sorry, should have raised this in earlier thread..
Why does it have to be a foreclosed property? It could be a regular sale also - irrespective of the type (regular, short sale, foreclosed), it is proven to provide mobility of money and also lift up the average price of homes in the neighborhood, be the other homes are SS, REO, foreclosed etc. So indirectly, it would lift up foreclosed movement. Also, if its only for foreclosed homes, it would give a way for bank to artificially inflate the price, if the potential buyer is EB-queued.
Also, more importantly, every 2 home purchases creates one job, we can quote that too..
Going by your estimate of 500,000 folks buying properties,there is a potential of creating 250,000 jobs.

Realtors' association is another strong source to quote - they have been running ads on TV lately..

Ad: Jobs and Home Ownership (http://www.realtor.org/topics/homeownership/jobs_ad_2011)
http://www.realtoractioncenter.com/docs/The-Jobs-Impact-of-an-Existing-Home-Purchase-2010.pdf

Home sales in this country generate more than 2.5 million private-sector jobs in an average year.
For every two homes sold, a job is created.
Each home sale touches dozens of different professions.
Every home purchased pumps up to $60,000 into the economy over time for furniture, home improvements, and related items.
Housing accounts for more than 15% of the Gross Domestic Product, making it a key driver in our national economy.
Housing has led this country out of six of the last eight recessions.

ndbhatt
08-17-2011, 08:10 AM
Guys, Thanks for taking this interesting initiative. I hope it does the magic trick :)
Here is my response to remaining multi-questions from the survey:

1. Will you invest in a new home in your community if a new law allows for such an investment to fast track your green card application and removes wait times?

A. Yes. 1st time buyer.
C. No
D. May be

2. If you answered yes above, what is the anticipated budget range for your housing investment?

A. < 150,000
B. $150,000- 300,000
C. $300,000 - $500,000
D. > $500,000

3. If you answered yes to Q1, what percentage of cost are you able to provide as downpayment?

A. <10%
B. 10-20%
C. 20-50%
D. >50%

4. What prevents you from investing in a home in your current non-immigrant (i.e. non-Green Card) status?

smuggymba
08-17-2011, 08:36 AM
I would buy a house within 300K-400K (in the neighborhood I like) in a heartbeat but not a foreclosed property. Not all foreclosed properties are great.

Is there a special reason why the OP mentioned "Foreclosed" and not just any house. I'd prefer "First time home buyer" clause.

skpanda
08-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Totally agree with you that it should be any property and not just Foreclosed property. Makes sense that core idea is economic activity and investment. Modified the subject and post # 1 accordingly.

Thanks!

Sorry, should have raised this in earlier thread..
Why does it have to be a foreclosed property? It could be a regular sale also - irrespective of the type (regular, short sale, foreclosed), it is proven to provide mobility of money and also lift up the average price of homes in the neighborhood, be the other homes are SS, REO, foreclosed etc. So indirectly, it would lift up foreclosed movement. Also, if its only for foreclosed homes, it would give a way for bank to artificially inflate the price, if the potential buyer is EB-queued.
Also, more importantly, every 2 home purchases creates one job, we can quote that too..
Going by your estimate of 500,000 folks buying properties,there is a potential of creating 250,000 jobs.

Realtors' association is another strong source to quote - they have been running ads on TV lately..

Ad: Jobs and Home Ownership (http://www.realtor.org/topics/homeownership/jobs_ad_2011)
http://www.realtoractioncenter.com/docs/The-Jobs-Impact-of-an-Existing-Home-Purchase-2010.pdf

I would buy a house within 300K-400K (in the neighborhood I like) in a heartbeat but not a foreclosed property. Not all foreclosed properties are great.

Is there a special reason why the OP mentioned "Foreclosed" and not just any house. I'd prefer "First time home buyer" clause.

smuggymba
08-17-2011, 08:53 AM
I know white house has asked for ideas on foreclosure but the problem is most of us wont buy in foreclosed neighborhoods. Some neighborhoods are totally foreclosed....only 1-2 houses remain occupied in the whole lane.

Maybe we can argue with the white house about economic benefit of any home buying. There are many commercials on TV about 2 homes creating1 job; I'll try to call/email them this Friday.

skpanda
08-17-2011, 08:55 AM

Thanks!

I have refrained from using 'First time home buyer' so that people who have already bought a property in USA are not left out of this initiative which would be unfair in my opinion. These people have already contributed to the economy by buying a home and if they are willing to buy another home to benefit from this, they should be allowed to. Just my thought. Feel free to let me know why this should be limited to 'First time home buyer'?

smuggymba
08-17-2011, 09:06 AM
Thanks!

I have refrained from using 'First time home buyer' so that people who have already bought a property in USA are not left out of this initiative which would be unfair in my opinion. These people have already contributed to the economy by buying a home and if they are willing to buy another home to benefit from this, they should be allowed to. Just my thought. Feel free to let me know why this should be limited to 'First time home buyer'?

I agree; lets just keep it "home buyer" who helps boost the economy.

manchala
08-17-2011, 09:27 AM
My answers:

A. Yes. 1st time buyer.
C. No
D. May be

A. < 150,000
B. $150,000- 300,000
C. $300,000 - $500,000
D. > $500,000

A. <10%
B. 10-20%
C. 20-50%
D. >50%

Saralayar
08-17-2011, 09:27 AM
Thanks!

Who every bought home during the last 5 years and waiting for GC should also be included.

pappu
08-17-2011, 09:31 AM
There was an IV initiative 3 years ago on this. Check http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum85-action-items-for-everyone/21665-us-housing-crisis-and-employment-based-green-card-issues.html

The problem and the reasons such initiatives fail is because the maximum people do is send an email. Email or online petitions should never be a part of such campaigns. We have seen that many people create junk email accounts and send emails. They do not even sign their emails with their name, phone and address. And when address and phone number is asked they give fake information. This has been tested in previous IV campaigns when we controlled the email delivery to weed out fake ones. We called back a few phone numbers. Phone numbers given ranged from funeral home number to walmart store phone numbers. We have also seen that sending letters do not work. We did that in early 2007 when we asked people to send letters and also send a copy of letter to IV by snail mail. Many gave fake information that could not be verified. These kind of back seat driving anonymously will never solve any issue. It is funny to note that one person recently was spamming IV forum with some online petition link with his anonymous ID. He contacted IV creating an anonymous ID asking IV to post the link and make it a campaign. He did not even bother to sign it with his name and contact information. Advocacy work is not for the anonymous and those who wish to live in the shadows. Undocumented are better than such people who can go in front of the camera and speak or walk on the streets in rallies without fear of any deportation or arrest. If we want something real than work also have to be real by real humans and not by some fake IDs. If the people communicating are not sincere, why will you think any Congressman be willing to help become of some email? Such junk campaigns only hurt the credibility of High skill community and do more harm than good. I would urge people reading this post to discourage others if they see any online petition or junk email campaigns floating around on forums. It is part of the advocacy education that we should try to spread and raise awareness on best ways to bring issues to light without hurting the credibility of the community or hurting their own chances of success.

Real work on issues happen only by in person meetings. So if you wish to lead this idea, think of ways in which you could have in person interactions of members with Senators and Congressman on this issue. Anything else will be a waste and will not bring the attention needed for the issue.

greencard.wait
08-17-2011, 09:51 AM
Pappu -

I would suggest give another try. In 3 year lot many things has changed. As you mentioned below we had learning from similar activity.

This time we have to make sure we use our real name and contact details.

Thanks,

There was an IV initiative 3 years ago on this. Check http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum85-action-items-for-everyone/21665-us-housing-crisis-and-employment-based-green-card-issues.html

The problem and the reasons such initiatives fail is because the maximum people do is send an email. Email or online petitions should never be a part of such campaigns. We have seen that many people create junk email accounts and send emails. They do not even sign their emails with their name, phone and address. And when address and phone number is asked they give fake information. This has been tested in previous IV campaigns when we controlled the email delivery to weed out fake ones. We called back a few phone numbers. Phone numbers given ranged from funeral home number to walmart store phone numbers. We have also seen that sending letters do not work. We did that in early 2007 when we asked people to send letters and also send a copy of letter to IV by snail mail. Many gave fake information that could not be verified. These kind of back seat driving anonymously will never solve any issue. It is funny to note that one person recently was spamming IV forum with some online petition link recently with his anonymous ID. He contacted IV creating an anonymous ID asking IV to post the link and make it a campaign. He did not even bother to sign it with his name and contact information. Advocacy work is not for the anonymous and those who wish to live in the shadows. Undocumented are better than such people who can go in front of the camera and speak or walk on the streets in rallies without fear of any deportation or arrest. If we want something real than work also have to be real by real humans and not by some fake IDs. If the people communicating are not sincere, why will you think any Congressman be willing to help become of some email?

Real work on issues happen only by in person meetings. So if you wish to lead this idea, think of ways in which you could have in person interactions of members with Senators and Congressman on this issue. Anything else will be a waste and will not bring the attention needed for the issue.

richguy
08-17-2011, 09:58 AM
I would buy a house if they just let me file I-485 (thus allowing my spouse to work)...

chikna
08-17-2011, 10:01 AM
Obama has a major job proposal next month. Will that proposal include this idea too?

pappu
08-17-2011, 10:10 AM
I would buy a house if they just let me file I-485 (thus allowing my spouse to work)...

This is actually a set up for failure in any campaign. The goal should be green card and not individual application processing stages. If people start saying, I will do XYZ if my labor can be cleared from audit in 1 month, or my I140 can be cleared from TSC in 3 months, or my AC21 denial should not happen, Or I am EB2 and my date is anyways be current, Or I am EB3 ROW and I do not want Indians getting more visas, Or I am EB2 China and I do not want to see Indians getting more spillover.... etc etc. It only divides the community. Think about it, Is spouse being able to work more important for you than having a greencard? If you can get greencard buying a house, will it not allow spouse to work too? Since you only want souse to be allowed to work, what if we tell them not to allow anyone file I485 when dates are not current. But just allow H4s ability to work? Will it be ok for you? Will you be ok living an H1B life forever until your EB date is current? Are you ok with stamping pains and fear of losing status on H1B?

One of the reasons for not having a green card fix till now is the divisions in the community and each person only thinking about his application. This is why you do not see many green card holders looking back and helping their fellow members. Until this effort is about a community effort and not individual application and PD, no campaign will ever succeed.

psagarn
08-17-2011, 10:15 AM

A. Yes. 1st time buyer.
C. No
D. May be

A. < 150,000
B. $150,000- 300,000
C. $300,000 - $500,000
D. > $500,000

A. <10%
B. 10-20%
C. 20-50%
D. >50%

Also, I am read to travel to DC along with few of my friends (possibly 7) in any advocacy day around this issue i.e. conditional GC.

richguy
08-17-2011, 10:20 AM
This is actually a set up for failure in any campaign. The goal should be green card and not individual application processing stages. If people start saying, I will do XYZ if my labor can be cleared from audit in 1 month, or my I140 can be cleared from TSC in 3 months, or my AC21 denial should not happen, Or I am EB2 and my date is anyways be current, Or I am EB3 ROW and I do not want Indians getting more visas, Or I am EB2 China and I do not want to see Indians getting more spillover.... etc etc. It only divides the community. Think about it, Is spouse being able to work more important for you than having a greencard? If you can get greencard buying a house, will it not allow spouse to work too? Since you only want souse to be allowed to work, what if we tell them not to allow anyone file I485 when dates are not current. But just allow H4s ability to work? Will it be ok for you? Will you be ok living an H1B life forever until your EB date is current? Are you ok with stamping pains and fear of losing status on H1B?

One of the reasons for not having a green card fix till now is the divisions in the community and each person only thinking about his application. This is why you do not see many green card holders looking back and helping their fellow members. Until this effort is about a community effort and not individual application and PD, no campaign will ever succeed.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to create any divisions in the community... It was just my desperate situation .. I truly support striving for a permanent fix for the whole EB based GC situations

skpanda
08-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Although I understand the frustration that most of us have regarding not even being able to file I485 for EAD purposes, I think we should not settle for less.

We should ask for nothing less than green card which is a genuine return for investing in this country. We should not show our desparation and settle for less.

Thanks!!

pappu
08-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Just to be clear, I'm not trying to create any divisions in the community... It was just my desperate situation .. I truly support striving for a permanent fix for the whole EB based GC situations

No problem. The intention was to message everyone through the reply to your post so that everyone does not think narrowly about their own application.

sac-r-ten
08-17-2011, 10:39 AM
hum mehnatkash iss duniya se apna hissa mange ge
ek gaon nahi ek khet nahi, hum sari duniya mange ge

Got for it. Lets try and get the American economy/world economy back on road and fullfill our dreams too.
----

A. Yes. 1st time buyer.
C. No
D. May be

A. < 150,000
B. $150,000- 300,000
C. $300,000 - $500,000
D. > $500,000

A. <10%
B. 10-20%
C. 20-50%
D. >50%

skpanda
08-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks Pappu for this information. I understand that last time we tried this, we failed even before we started the campaign. But times have changed. US Government is much more desparate on Economic Recovery than it was back in 2008.

I am sure most people will agree that this is a no-brainer and any sane Government desparate to give a boost to ecnomoy will embrace this with both arms. If it has failed in the past that was because of certain issues such as below -

a. US Govt may be not that desparate at the time to consider this proposal
b. No enough Support to 'act' than just speaking on the forum by people.
c. We did some mistakes in the campaign (Genuine Email/Anonymity issues)

Now that times have changed, we can learn from our past mistakes, and strategize our goals.

If somebody tells me that such a successful grass root level Organization such as IV cannot manage the initiative, I do not buy it. IV has organized successful campaigns such as recent DC Advocacy and recognition of IV in Senate hearings.

All we need is active participation & support from members, without which any IV initiative will fail.

Bottom line... times have changed and most people here may agree that we can give this another chance provided people genuinely and actively participate.

Thank you ver much!

The problem and the reasons such initiatives fail is because the maximum people do is send an email. Email or online petitions should never be a part of such campaigns. We have seen that many people create junk email accounts and send emails. They do not even sign their emails with their name, phone and address. And when address and phone number is asked they give fake information. This has been tested in previous IV campaigns when we controlled the email delivery to weed out fake ones. We called back a few phone numbers. Phone numbers given ranged from funeral home number to walmart store phone numbers. We have also seen that sending letters do not work. We did that in early 2007 when we asked people to send letters and also send a copy of letter to IV by snail mail. Many gave fake information that could not be verified. These kind of back seat driving anonymously will never solve any issue. It is funny to note that one person recently was spamming IV forum with some online petition link with his anonymous ID. He contacted IV creating an anonymous ID asking IV to post the link and make it a campaign. He did not even bother to sign it with his name and contact information. Advocacy work is not for the anonymous and those who wish to live in the shadows. Undocumented are better than such people who can go in front of the camera and speak or walk on the streets in rallies without fear of any deportation or arrest. If we want something real than work also have to be real by real humans and not by some fake IDs. If the people communicating are not sincere, why will you think any Congressman be willing to help become of some email? Such junk campaigns only hurt the credibility of High skill community and do more harm than good. I would urge people reading this post to discourage others if they see any online petition or junk email campaigns floating around on forums. It is part of the advocacy education that we should try to spread and raise awareness on best ways to bring issues to light without hurting the credibility of the community or hurting their own chances of success.

h1techSlave
08-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Continuing on what Pappu has wrote, if this effort has to be successful we need a bunch of folks serious about this effort. They should be willing to spend their time, money and brains to push for this. Just writing in the blog would not cut it or sending email/snail mail would not cut it.

Are there a few folks out there who will be willing to go and talk to their Senators, Congressional reps and real estate business guys regarding this issue and our proposed solution?

How can we recruit people who will be interested in doing that?

vick
08-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Hi SK,

I suggest to add couple of more options in the poll. This applies to everybody who is still waiting for their green card and is currently on h1 (like me) or EAD. These questions will generate data around what economic role H1/EAD people have played so far to alleviate the foreclosure crisis.

1. Do you already own a foreclosed house? If yes, what state you purchased and approximate price you paid.

2. How many total house you own?

Thanks
Vick

Thanks Pappu for this information. I understand that last time we tried this, we failed even before we started the campaign. But times have changed. US Government is much more desparate on Economic Recovery than it was back in 2008.

I am sure most people will agree that this is a no-brainer and any sane Government desparate to give a boost to ecnomoy will embrace this with both arms. If it has failed in the past that was because of certain issues such as below -

Now that times have changed, we can learn from our past mistakes, and strategize our goals.

If somebody tells me that such a successful grass root level Organization such as IV cannot manage the initiative, I do not buy it. IV has organized successful campaigns such as recent DC Advocacy and recognition of IV in Senate hearings.

All we need is active participation & support from members, without which any IV initiative will fail.

Bottom line... times have changed and most people here may agree that we can give this another chance provided people genuinely and actively participate.

Thank you ver much!

LONGGCQUE
08-17-2011, 03:58 PM
h1techSlave, if we can have this as a structured campaign then i am going to meet the senator/congressman too. By structured I mean, last time when i met my senator then starsun handed out talking points/material and it was good to proceed.

If we can come up with a plan/talking points/material then it can be good to go and meet. Count me in.

Continuing on what Pappu has wrote, if this effort has to be successful we need a bunch of folks serious about this effort. They should be willing to spend their time, money and brains to push for this. Just writing in the blog would not cut it or sending email/snail mail would not cut it.

Are there a few folks out there who will be willing to go and talk to their Senators, Congressional reps and real estate business guys regarding this issue and our proposed solution?

How can we recruit people who will be interested in doing that?

pd052009
08-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Somehow I don't get this... By buying a house, people are locked to mortgage for 10-30 years. Can someone buying US treasuries, swap them for GC? I mean, Can anyone (without a visa to come to US) buy a house in US and get a greencard? Unless there are restrictions(like who are already in US legally), it would create another form of DV category. Also, it appears that the conditional gc will create a surge(dependents) in employment queue. Can we sell this surge to lawmakers when unemployment rate is more than 9%?

forever_waiting
08-17-2011, 04:19 PM
skpanda, I dont think pappu is questioning the validity of the original post and idea. So the defense of "things have changed" is really not neccessary since we all agree with it. The idea is good. But what I understand pappu is saying (in bold) is there should be an authentic and real way of implementing this proposal instead of an anonymous petition signed by anonymous folks with anonymous contact information. Any petition idea should be followed up with meetings with district lawmaker offices all over the country where we submit proposal documents bringing up 1) how EB backlogs put thousands of families in a mess 2) how solving backlog problem is important 3) how this idea does that along with helping the housing market. That can be combined with the proposal sent to the WH.
Your intent and idea is in the right direction and if you include Pappu's suggested approach, this is definitely worth an effort. I support it.

Thank you ver much!

tinngu2001
08-17-2011, 04:20 PM
My Answer in Green.

A. Yes. 1st time buyer.B. Yes. Investment property (Already own a home in USA)
C. No
D. May be

A. < 150,000
B. $150,000- 300,000
C. $300,000 - $500,000
D. > $500,000

A. <10%
B. 10-20%C. 20-50%
D. >50%

A. Uncertainty of future US permanent residence/ immigrant statusB. Restrictions or bottlenecks in obtaining mortgage in current status

alex77
08-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Here is my response to multi-questions from the survey:

A. Yes. 1st time buyer.
C. No
D. May be

A. < 150,000
B. $150,000- 300,000
C. $300,000 - $500,000
D. > $500,000

A. <10%
B. 10-20%
C. 20-50%
D. >50%

psagarn
08-17-2011, 05:19 PM
h1techSlave, if we can have this as a structured campaign then i am going to meet the senator/congressman too. By structured I mean, last time when i met my senator then starsun handed out talking points/material and it was good to proceed.

If we can come up with a plan/talking points/material then it can be good to go and meet. Count me in.

Count me in too.

immigrant2007
08-17-2011, 07:04 PM
NOTE: This poll is only for those who are waiting for their PD to be current or has just started their green card process. If any of you has already received your Green Card or your PD is current and expect your Green Card in near future, please do not participate in the poll. This will help us provide better statistics.

Friends,

This thread is created in response to below news article.

White house seeks ideas to fix foreclosure glut: White House seeks ideas to shrink foreclosure glut - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/White-House-seeks-ideas-to-rb-804949606.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=7&asset=&ccode=)

Thanks to our member friend 'h1techSlave' for posting this article in IV and thanks to many other friends in the below thread (background section below) who have contributed ideas and encouraged me to start this new thread. Special thanks to 'helpful_leo', 'greencard.wait', 'alecshermon', 'tampacoolie', 'psagarn', 'imh1b', and 'mayhemt' for their ideas and encouragement.

Objective:

To propose a solution to White House's call for fixing the Home market which is the root cause of fall of our great economy. The proposal would request White House to bring in a legislation that would provide a Conditional Green Card to those who are in EB categories waiting for their turn to get green card and will buy a foreclosed/Regular property in USA.

This initiative is to gather feedback on the proposal from all of you so that IV and individual members can communincate to White house.

Is this possible? May be or May be not
Will this fall into deaf ears? May be or May be not

In any case if we believe in IV's purpose and core agenda to bring relief to Immigrant community, we have to keep trying in any which way possible.

Background:

Please see the below thread for background information on why this new thread was started.

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/2309313-white-house-seeks-ideas-to-fix-foreclosure-glut.html

Related Articles:

After we started discussing on this proposal in the above thread, we were pleased to see some other groups/individuals suggesting similar ideas outside IV. Below are few links.

a. Vivek Wadhwa - Very apt and similar proposal to ours.

How a change to the visa laws could reverse the housing slump - Ideas@Innovations - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/innovations/post/how-a-change-to-the-visa-laws-could-reverse-the-housing-slump/2011/08/16/gIQADVI9IJ_blog.html)

b. FusionIQ CEO Barry Ritholtz - This one invites people from outside USA which may not be the direction we want to go but the basic idea is good.

“Drift Lower” Is BEST-Case Scenario for Housing, Ritholtz Says | Daily Ticker - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/drift-lower-best-case-scenario-housing-ritholtz-says-140042867.html)

Draft Letter:

I have written a draft letter that we can send to white house and all concerned parties. This is still a 'Work in Progress' document. This document will need to be improved to state credible facts, references and numbers and any other suggestions that you can come up with.

High Level Details of the Proposal: For complete details please refer to the attached draft letter.

Give conditional green card to people who have already filed for EB based green card. Remove the conditions only when beneficiary keeps his side of the bargain.

Possible conditions on the green card:

a. Beneficiary should be already legally employed in USA. This ensures that we are not bringing in people from outside the country which may impact the job market.

Few advantages:

a. No cost to tax payers money.

b. Assuming average cost for a home to be: 200,000
Say half million (500,000) people avail this opportunity in the 1st year. Total number of Foreclosed/Regular properties out of the Market in 1 year: Half Million (500,000)
Total Amount pumped into US economy in a single year: $ 50 Billion cash.

c. Mortgage industry will revive because of the loans that these high skilled employed workers will take to fund rest of their home cost.

d. No need to give any extra green cards. These people would have got their green cards anyways (of course after a painful wait of few decades).

e. Further these new 'conditional' green card holders will be encouraged to invest in USA (instead of sending savings to home country - billions of dollars every year) in buying new cars, furniture, start new businesses and other activities. This will be boost to our economy and job creation.

f. This will stop to brain drain of highly skilled immigrants and give a boost to US competitiveness.

Next Steps:

a. Gather support from IV core group.

b. Gather inputs from all members on this initiative and improve the draft letter.

c. Chalk out a strategy so that this initiative has maximum effect in obtaining the desired result. Draft letter to be sent to White House and other related parties thru USPS Mail/Email/Website Contact/Any other means of contact.

Survery Questions:

I have added a poll to this thread. Please respond and help us.

I could not find any option that would allow me to put multiple questions in the poll (if somebody knows how to do this, please PM me). Therefore below are some more questions that will help us get some statistics. Question 2, 3 and 4 are optional, however I encourage you to provide your inputs on the same for us to better provide information to White House. Credit goes to 'helpful_lep' for coming up with these questions. Please post a reply with your inputs.

A. Yes. 1st time buyer.
C. No
D. May be

A. < 150,000
B. $150,000- 300,000
C. $300,000 - $500,000
D. > $500,000

A. <10%
B. 10-20%
C. 20-50%
D. >50%

IV Core Team: We would appreciate your support if you guyz think this initiative deserves it.

Thank you very much in advance for your active participation. Together we can bring change.

Sincere question What about immigrants who already bought properties 1 or multiple? By this way they should qualify for conditional citizenship?

Rb_newsletter
08-17-2011, 07:32 PM

A. Yes. 1st time buyer.
C. No
D. May be

Suggesting th below change.

1. Will you buy a new home in your community if a new law allows for such an investment to fast track your green card application and removes wait times?

A. Yes. I would like to buy a house and contribute to economy.
B. Yes. In spite of uncertainty already bought a house and contributed to economy.
C. No.
D. May be.

JimmyJolly
08-17-2011, 08:24 PM
Charlie Rose - An Hour with Warren Buffett - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVOn371TCPo&feature=player_embedded#at=1109)

Warren Buffet has a similar view (@ 18.22 minutes)

gc.4desi
08-17-2011, 09:11 PM

A. Yes. 1st time buyer.
C. No
D. May be

A. < 150,000
B. $150,000- 300,000
C. $300,000 - $500,000
D. > $500,000

A. <10%
B. 10-20%
C. 20-50%
D. >50%

sw33t
08-18-2011, 12:04 AM
Like pappu said in earlier posts, IV had such proposals but never gained any traction since there were too many divisions with different objectives to lobby for such a change. Here are some observations I want to throw out there for the general community -

1. I remember BEFORE the "sub-prime" crisis, lenders didn't quite care what your status in the US was. In this day and age of constricted and restricted lending practicest, a majority of lenders don't favor applications unless you are a legal permanent resident/US citizen. If that is the case, how will such a law help?

2. A conditional GC doesn't make any sense, since attaining legal permanent residency is not truly "PERMANENT" and is a privilege granted by Uncle Sam.

3. I wonder if such a proposal will be supported by the banker's lobby. Most national banks are sitting pretty on the TARP money they received. Fattening their balance sheets.

4. The home builders lobby will be happy to jump on the bandwagon if the terms exclusively refer to new homes and not foreclosures.

5. The Administration doesn't look good if they are offering such a program whereas in fact, they should be helping the voters (home owners). Its a catch-22. Giving you a conditional green card is not going to get a new vote bank for the politicos and how many people will be willing to enroll in such a program to gain the goodwill of either the Indian or the Hispanic caucuses?

These are some points you will need to argue and create a cheat sheet if you are willing to put together a campaign and go to DC.

gk_2000
08-18-2011, 12:44 AM
Like pappu said in earlier posts, IV had such proposals but never gained any traction since there were too many divisions with different objectives to lobby for such a change. Here are some observations I want to throw out there for the general community -

1. I remember BEFORE the "sub-prime" crisis, lenders didn't quite care what your status in the US was. In this day and age of constricted and restricted lending practicest, a majority of lenders don't favor applications unless you are a legal permanent resident/US citizen. If that is the case, how will such a law help?

2. A conditional GC doesn't make any sense, since attaining legal permanent residency is not truly "PERMANENT" and is a privilege granted by Uncle Sam.

3. I wonder if such a proposal will be supported by the banker's lobby. Most national banks are sitting pretty on the TARP money they received. Fattening their balance sheets.

4. The home builders lobby will be happy to jump on the bandwagon if the terms exclusively refer to new homes and not foreclosures.

5. The Administration doesn't look good if they are offering such a program whereas in fact, they should be helping the voters (home owners). Its a catch-22. Giving you a conditional green card is not going to get a new vote bank for the politicos and how many people will be willing to enroll in such a program to gain the goodwill of either the Indian or the Hispanic caucuses?

These are some points you will need to argue and create a cheat sheet if you are willing to put together a campaign and go to DC.

Kudos for this explanation. I myself was wondering how to say it..

vbkris77
08-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Most in administration want to rather let people stay in their homes even after foreclosure. If u look at the situation there is a tug of war between business and dems on this,

Business wants these foreclosures sped so that everybody can move on. Administration is on a different page. They want common man to not loose their home.

This proposal still stands a chance but need to be explained in politically correct way.

I can help there and IV core can steer the discussion to right people.

The only point is if there are enough takers from immigrant community. How do we prove our strength in numbers and financial ability without compromising privacy..

Please propose ideas on that front.

Another point is most immigrant population is concentrated in couple of states, so this will not help national level change and may result in uneven spurr in prices there that a common citizen can't support or afford.

We need to show stats by county almost to get a good buy off. Last tie when IV started this, there was backfire from antis that immigration is the reason for job losses and hence foreclosures.. we need to disprove that myth..

More later...

imh1b
08-18-2011, 10:55 AM
This idea is no longer hot. It is a beaten idea and past its prime. The loan companies no longer have any finance problem. They returned TARP money and running in profits. Laws are now strict and housing loans have better system. There is no more housing bubble burst in the economy.

Problem is country's debt and unemployment. The best idea now is to focus on EB2 Greencard for all people who start companies. This will create jobs and improve economy. I suggest we all focus on that and start our companies. Those who are best and smart will open companies and get greencard. Those who are dull and low skill will have to wait for greencard. There are many in EB3 with just a diploma or 3 year degree , some 3 month computer diploma from C rated shop. Many are spouses who have BA degrees and doing tester jobs, clerk or something like that. We see many posts on EB2 about EB1 filings for L1a folks. But nobody is talking about EB3 filings from low skilled people? The reason EB3 is backed up is because we have many low skilled people in it. A lot of EB3 are US masters degree holders from good universities and these guys have got the wrong end of the bargain by waiting in EB3. They can now apply in EB2. This is what I interpret from recent news about the visa. It also means USA only need bright folks and they are willing to give them greencards. Why can't everyone see writing on the wall for us and focus on creating companies. Has anyone thought of creating groups on IV and share ideas to start companies? Many companies can be started from such IV campiagn and we can showcase that to show how we can create jobs. This is a better idea than focus on housing. Housing idea is so dead.

greencard.wait
08-18-2011, 11:19 AM
I am in

Count me in too.

bhavana
08-18-2011, 11:39 AM

A. Yes. 1st time buyer.

C. No
D. May be

A. < 150,000
B. $150,000- 300,000
C. $300,000 - $500,000
D. > $500,000

A. <10%
B. 10-20%
C. 20-50%
D. >50%

h1techSlave
08-18-2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the post and I will throw in my ideas in bold italics.

Our suggestion doesn't help, since we will be buying home prior to getting GC.

A conditional GC doesn't help. If at all we should request for regular GC only.

Banks are making money just by taking money from the Feds at 0% interest rate and investing in Treasuries at 2%. But mortgages offer 4-5% interest rate. But right now there are very few people who are willing and qualified for a mortgage. We are bringing in 500, 000 willing and qualified people to the table.

If 100, 000 existing homes are taken off of the market, the demand for new homes will increase.

The problem for homeowner voters is that there are many for sale homes in their communities. This brings down the value of ALL homes in the neighborhood. If the govt. is creating a scheme to sell 100, 000 homes, that is very good for the voters since this move will increase the value of all homes in the country.

Hopeful1
08-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Guys,

I believe that this idea has legs if we sell it properly. I have talked to few realtors and they are desperate to find new buyers.

I am willing to work with team for forwarding this idea.

Thanks,
Amit

tampacoolie
08-18-2011, 08:00 PM

We are proposing plain vanilla mortgage in which many lenders will be happy to see such a borrowers in this market. In the current real estate market, one can't find a borrowers with healthy FICO score and willing to put 20% down payment. In fact, US economy is left with no healthy borrowers and we hit the damn credit wall in 2007. Thats why the crisis erupted. There wasn't any more home buyers left in the market to support ever increasing prices. So prices fall and those who had fancy loans defaulted first. We are saying that proposal contains 28%/36% front end/back end Debt to Income ratio. During crisis, this prudent lending practices got broken and we are willing to accept tough credit restrictions. This will weed out all less worthy borrowers. Lending rules can be easily modified to make conditional GC acceptable. The real estate credit market rules are pretty controlled by the federal government as the Federal government owns FHA, HUD, Ginne, Fannie and Freddie. Banks make loans and flip those loans back to one of those entities. It is only 10 to 15% market is owned by private banks. So I don't see a big issue here, unless the federal government wants to own those 2.5 million REO inventories.

See my response above. 90% of the lending to residential real estate market controlled by government entities. A single stroke of pen will make this all go away.

The market is in riot now. The most affected stocks are financial and banks. They are not doing well in my opinion. Market thinks that they are insolvent. They are only floating with support of Fed, Treasury and the congress ( They put a gun on FASB to relax accounting rules). In a pure accounting method, BofA, Citi, WellsFargo all bankrupt. Bankers will be happy to see more qualified borrowers in this market. They have been saying that demand for the new credit is disappeared. That's a problem for them as they make money on NIM ( Net Interest Margin). They can't keep running banks by borrowing short from the Fed at 0.25% and lend long to Treasury on 5 or 10 year bonds. Their net interest margin is vaporizing fast, so does their balance sheet asset values. This is more due to uncle Ben's Quantitative Easing programs. On one hand, he wants to protect bank profits and the other hand he wants to lower the interest rate. He can't have it in both ways. So banks need credit worthy borrowers and depositors with money .

They will be happy to accept. Your analogy is incorrect. Unless the existing excess inventory is cleared from the listing, their business can't be profitable and they can't start building new homes. They knew that already and they have been cutting down permits. We have 2.5 million REO and plus listing from people who wants to sell and move and people waiting in the sidelines to sell ( shadow inventory). So the inventory is larger than what appears on the surface. The government and people in real estate and construction already knew this. Natural household formation in the US economy can't absorb these homes fast. According to US census, there are 1 million new household forms every year. Not all could eligible for current loan requirements as many of them will be looking for rental house to save down payments, pay college loans, etc.. In my opinion, with natural household formation, it will take 12-15 years to clear just 2.5 million homes. Forget about other inventories where regular house homes on sale. US simply do not have buying power to absorb these inventory. Check that Warren Buffet Interview that some one posted in this thread. He talks about household formation can't absorb these homes. He knew what is the problem here. The problem is excess supply and limited demand.

Unless administration does something on the housing and economy, they should start looking for schools for their children in their home districts. We are already under recession and the Obama admin already knew this, but they can't publicly admit this. When the third quarter GDP report comes, it will be negative print along with revision of 2nd quarter GDP to negative. This will put US economy in official recession mode. They will be voted out in next election. In my opinion, they will have to throw something and see what sticks and Obama is already desperate to hang on his WH. Florida is the key battleground state for any presidential election and it has the second largest foreclosures. So voters in Florida, Nevada and California will like this proposal. Although California is already blue state, Florida and Nevada aren't. So it is critical for Obama to win Florida to have any chance of presidency again. I think Obama administration could mix this with other jobs proposal and sell to public. Politicians will do anything to hang on their powers.

My suggestion is forward the formal suggestion/proposal to NAR ( National Association of Realtors) and they have strong lobbying arm in the Congress. They had successfully instituted two or three housing credit programs. They milk money ( 12% on each sale) on these real estate transactions. It is their self-interest to see more demand from qualifying borrowers and It is our self-interest to get out of some deep hole in GC process. It is a worth a shot, if we show them that there is a possibility of hundreds of thousands of buyers.

My thoughts are on bold.

orangutan
08-18-2011, 09:14 PM
I suspect this will fly. Assume US govt will agree to give conditional GC if 10K people will buy the houses 300 K each.

1) Should the Govt wait until all the 10K people fund an Escrow account until all this money comes in there?
2)Or should they just start issuing GC as soon as they recieve a pledge letter?

If the option 1 is true then you would get your GC quicker with the current VB movement.

floridasun
08-18-2011, 09:48 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_18712324

here we are ... brainstorming smart ideas to uplift US economy and justify streamlining much needed GC process. and then there is these super-smart DC folks giving away work freedom to illegals left and right. God help this Country !!

greencard.wait
08-19-2011, 09:48 AM
I agree. I think we should start sending proposal to them. It's Action time.

I think the correct National Association of Realtors website Find Real Estate Listings, School and Neighborhood Information and More - Realtor.com (http://www.realtor.com/)

Any idea how to get in touch with them.

Thanks,

My suggestion is forward the formal suggestion/proposal to NAR ( National Association of Realtors) and they have strong lobbying arm in the Congress. They had successfully instituted two or three housing credit programs. They milk money ( 12% on each sale) on these real estate transactions. It is their self-interest to see more demand from qualifying borrowers and It is our self-interest to get out of some deep hole in GC process. It is a worth a shot, if we show them that there is a possibility of hundreds of thousands of buyers.

My thoughts are on bold.

h1techSlave
08-19-2011, 10:58 AM
It is a general misconception that we need to bring lot of money to the table. The banks have truck loads of money. What they don't have is credit worthy borrowers.

All we need to bring to the table is a decent FICO score and 20% down payment.

I suspect this will fly. Assume US govt will agree to give conditional GC if 10K people will buy the houses 300 K each.

1) Should the Govt wait until all the 10K people fund an Escrow account until all this money comes in there?
2)Or should they just start issuing GC as soon as they recieve a pledge letter?

If the option 1 is true then you would get your GC quicker with the current VB movement.

h1techSlave
08-19-2011, 11:02 AM
I would suggest that we go slow on the whole process.

As far as I can see, we ourselves are not very clear on our proposal. 20% down, 100% down, conditional GC, first time buyer etc. etc.

We can use this forum to finalize our proposal. May be run it thru IV senior folks to get their feedback.

Once we are rock solid on what we want we should contact external parties.

I agree. I think we should start sending proposal to them. It's Action time.

I think the correct National Association of Realtors website Find Real Estate Listings, School and Neighborhood Information and More - Realtor.com (http://www.realtor.com/)

Any idea how to get in touch with them.

Thanks,

greencard.wait
08-19-2011, 02:11 PM
I think 20% down would be the best for everyone who is ready to buy house.

Please get in touch with IV senior folks to get their feedback.

I would suggest that we go slow on the whole process.

As far as I can see, we ourselves are not very clear on our proposal. 20% down, 100% down, conditional GC, first time buyer etc. etc.

We can use this forum to finalize our proposal. May be run it thru IV senior folks to get their feedback.

Once we are rock solid on what we want we should contact external parties.

khendai
08-19-2011, 02:53 PM
I have an ambivalent feeling about this conditional greed card thing. I am waiting for GC to invest in a house. But I find it hard for DC folks to empathize with us if we ask for a conditional green card. It will be like selling green cards for their temporary economic issues. Secondly, they can't hold me responsible for not buying a house after getting the card. I could say the market is volatile and I need to wait for few more years.
My suggestion is, we can just tell congressmen that we are legally working here already so no risk of taking over american jobs. However we were not able to invest here because of the uncertainty and our temporary status.
I am in for meeting up with congressmen. I have pleasant experience in the past dealing with Senator Harry Reid, yes I live in Reno, NV. His office was very accommodating during my EAD processing debacle.

ssanchaniya
08-19-2011, 06:11 PM
I think 20% is fair for everyone who is ready to buy a house.

Thanks

velagale
08-20-2011, 08:47 PM
United states is one country which has always attracted global talent. They give F1 visas to students all over the world. Many F1s are provided even financial aid by their respective universities. These F1s who gained world class eduction end up working for US companies as H1s.

So far , so good.

But, the problem starts here. Now the H1s want to buy a House and guess what, they postpone. They postpone buying houses till they get a Green Card.

The cycle of giving back the US economy is broken here with this weak link. (the GC process).

I hope, majority of the H1s dont have bad credit scores, and hence banks shouldnt have a problem lending them. But who stopping them from applying ?

The US Govt and the broken immigration system.

smanohar
08-22-2011, 09:48 AM

A. Yes. 1st time buyer.
C. No
D. May be

A. < 150,000
B. $150,000- 300,000
C. $300,000 - $500,000
D. > $500,000

A. <10%
B. 10-20%
C. 20-50%
D. >50%

The only reason we don't own a house right now is that we don't have a GC. We were hoping that the dates will move to 1st August 07 next month and then we would buy a house by the year end.. but looks like we will have to wait at least a year more. And we are not alone.. I personally know few people who are in similar situation and are waiting for that green piece of plastic to buy a home. I have read and heard a lot of arguments about not waiting for GC to make important decisions in your life.. and I kind of agree with them in principal but at the same time I can also understand that people are not willing to make the biggest investment of their life in a country not knowing whether they will be able to enjoy / benefit from that investment. So I support this initiative.

peacocklover
08-22-2011, 12:05 PM

A. Yes. 1st time buyer.
C. No
D. May be

A. < 150,000
B. $150,000- 300,000
C. $300,000 - $500,000
D. > $500,000

A. <10%
B.10-20%
C. 20-50%
D. >50%

A. Uncertainty of future US permanent residence/ immigrant status:confused::confused::confused:

greencard.wait
08-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Hi,

I don't see any major movement on this thread and no IV support.

If we want to see change then we have to act fast / smart and to start getting in touch with National Home Association / Realtors / White house / Senator with this idea.

Let me know if want any help in drafting the final version of "Sample Letter".

Thanks,

First, GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU---HOPE EVERY EB-2, EB-3, H-1B CAN GET THE CONDITIONAL GREEN CARD FOR BUYING FORECLOSED PROPERTY AFTER WRITING TO WHITE HOUSE.

Also, I know someone who cannot get the H-1B visa or can't get into the EB2 & EB3 due to some accidental reasons and returned to their home countries---I wish they can follow a path to immigrate by what Ritholtz suggests as below:
also to buy a foreclosed house too.

"b. FusionIQ CEO Barry Ritholtz - This one invites people from outside USA which may not be the direction we want to go but the basic idea is good."

"“Drift Lower” Is BEST-Case Scenario for Housing, Ritholtz Says | Daily Ticker - Yahoo! Finance"

cellphone
08-22-2011, 05:04 PM
bud,

what about people who already own a home and have been paying mortgage for the past 6 yrs on time every time?

-Cellphone

helpful_leo
08-23-2011, 01:11 PM
I propose a bill with language as below. The language and details can of course be modified. I personally think we should keep the language for downpayment as 25-50%, to differentiate from the normal 20% and make it more attractive to lawmakers (I am aware of the argument that the % downpayment is not economically important but still feel it will help the bill gain traction).

Also, only a NEW property, whether a first or 2nd home should qualify- using a current home to qualify defeats the logic and argument behind our proposal and has no chance of passing.

Finally I think the purchase of a foreclosed property has an economic appeal to lawmakers that a regular property does not. Although I too would have preferred to buy a regular home, I am willing to agree to this if it can give me a GC.

I post this only as an attempt to get more inputs to flesh out this proposal and get more details. It is the details and its presentation that are going to be crucial in the bill getting favorable attention:

Investing in the American Dream Act of 2011

Objective: The proposed “Investing in the American Dream Act of 2011” draft bill allows certain eligible aliens who have been lawfully admitted and employed in the United States and have established roots in their respective communities to apply for permanent residence (“Green Card”) without limitations of per-country or annual limits. This bill allows willing aliens to contribute to the solvency and prosperity of their communities by investing in properties that have been put into the foreclosure process.

1.1: An alien shall be deemed eligible for consideration of expedited permanent residence (“Green Card”) if he or she:
a. has already lived in the United States for at least the previous 5 years from the date of passage of this act.
b. During the aforementioned period, has held continuous gainful employment.
c. During the aforementioned period, has paid all federal, state and local taxes.
d. During the aforementioned period, has not been indicted in any criminal or immigration offense.

1.2: An eligible alien (see 1.1) shall qualify for expedited permanent residence (“Green Card”) under the proposed “Investing in the American Dream Act of 2011” if he or she, having fulfilled the conditions elaborated in 1.1, further:
a. agrees to purchase a foreclosed property in his local community that has a current market value of $100,000 or above.
b. agrees to put down a cash payment of between 25 to 50% of the total cost of the property at the time of purchase.

1.3: An eligible alien who has fulfilled the conditions set in 1.2 and having submitted documentary evidence thereof to USCIS to its satisfaction, shall:
a. be provided with I-485 and related benefits within 90 days of receipt of the said evidence by the USCIS.
b. be provided with conditional permanent residence with all legal, employment and travel benefits of regular permanent residence, within 180 days of receipt of the said evidence by the USCIS.
c. the conditional permanent residence shall have an automatic expiry date one year from its date of issue.
d. to convert the conditional permanent residence to regular permanent residence (“Green Card”), the alien applicant will have to provide documentary evidence of his or her continued possession of the property at the time of application for conversion, which shall be no earlier than 90 days from the expiry of the conditional permanent residence.

imh1b
08-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Add a sentence that says if any illegal alien, Student visa, visitor visa or exchange visitor visa holder buys a house he gets a house. This will make it very attractive. A lot of people will invest in housing market. It could mean trillions of dollars. What say?

alex77
08-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Washington Post: How a change to the visa laws could reverse the housing slump (http://wadhwa.com/2011/08/16/washington-post-how-a-change-to-the-visa-laws-could-reverse-the-housing-slump/)

idiamin
08-23-2011, 02:48 PM
I have seen one poster argued about why foreclosure property, yet I see that in the "draft" bill, whats wrong with buying "ANY" property? would my money grow differently in America if I buy a foreclosed property?
Can someone explain in detail how buying a foreclosed property be more beneficial to this country's economy that any other type?

greencard.wait
08-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Good to see these links. Hope media should start giving attention to this idea.

Washington Post: How a change to the visa laws could reverse the housing slump (http://wadhwa.com/2011/08/16/washington-post-how-a-change-to-the-visa-laws-could-reverse-the-housing-slump/)

greencard.wait
08-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Let's start sending this proposal / Article to CNN / Fox news channels -

CNN.com - Contact Us (http://www.cnn.com/feedback/)
Contact Us - FOX News - FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,77538,00.html)
https://register.cnbc.com/email/EmailSupport.jsp

newsmanager@foxnews.com
Shows Email
America Live w/ Megyn Kelly kelly@foxnews.com
America's Newsroom w/ Bill and Martha americasnewsroom@foxnews.com
Bulls and Bears bullsandbears@foxnews.com
Cashin' In cash@foxnews.com
Cavuto on Business cavuto@foxnews.com
Forbes on FOX forbes@foxnews.com
FOX & Friends friends@foxnews.com
FOX News Specials fncspecials@foxnews.com
FOX News Sunday fns@foxnews.com
FOX News Watch newswatch@foxnews.com
FOX Report w/ Shepard Smith foxreport@foxnews.com
FOX Report Weekend foxreport@foxnews.com
Geraldo at Large atlarge@foxnews.com
Hannity hannity@foxnews.com
Happening Now w/ Jon Scott & Jenna Lee happeningnow@foxnews.com
Huckabee huckmail@foxnews.com
Glenn Beck glennbeck@foxnews.com
The Journal Editorial Report jer@foxnews.com
On the Record w/ Greta Van Susteren ontherecord@foxnews.com
Red Eye w/ Greg Gutfeld redeye@foxnews.com
Special Report w/ Bret Baier special@foxnews.com
Studio B w/ Shepard Smith studiob@foxnews.com
The O'Reilly Factor oreilly@foxnews.com
War Stories w/ Oliver North warstories@foxnews.com
Your World w/ Neil Cavuto cavuto@foxnews.com

Read more: Contact Us - FOX News - FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,77538,00.html#ixzz1VuXrN2Hm)

ronhira
08-24-2011, 12:44 AM
y do aves ways have to send out unorganized disjoint emails.... it doesnt help to get the story out..... Just sending random emails will not get any attention.... In poltics/media it's important who delivers the message and how the message is delivered.....

Let's start sending this proposal / Article to CNN / Fox news channels -

CNN.com - Contact Us (http://www.cnn.com/feedback/)
Contact Us - FOX News - FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,77538,00.html)
https://register.cnbc.com/email/EmailSupport.jsp

newsmanager@foxnews.com
Shows Email
America Live w/ Megyn Kelly kelly@foxnews.com
America's Newsroom w/ Bill and Martha americasnewsroom@foxnews.com
Bulls and Bears bullsandbears@foxnews.com
Cashin' In cash@foxnews.com
Cavuto on Business cavuto@foxnews.com
Forbes on FOX forbes@foxnews.com
FOX & Friends friends@foxnews.com
FOX News Specials fncspecials@foxnews.com
FOX News Sunday fns@foxnews.com
FOX News Watch newswatch@foxnews.com
FOX Report w/ Shepard Smith foxreport@foxnews.com
FOX Report Weekend foxreport@foxnews.com
Geraldo at Large atlarge@foxnews.com
Hannity hannity@foxnews.com
Happening Now w/ Jon Scott & Jenna Lee happeningnow@foxnews.com
Huckabee huckmail@foxnews.com
Glenn Beck glennbeck@foxnews.com
The Journal Editorial Report jer@foxnews.com
On the Record w/ Greta Van Susteren ontherecord@foxnews.com
Red Eye w/ Greg Gutfeld redeye@foxnews.com
Special Report w/ Bret Baier special@foxnews.com
Studio B w/ Shepard Smith studiob@foxnews.com
The O'Reilly Factor oreilly@foxnews.com
War Stories w/ Oliver North warstories@foxnews.com
Your World w/ Neil Cavuto cavuto@foxnews.com

Read more: Contact Us - FOX News - FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,77538,00.html#ixzz1VuXrN2Hm)

pappu
08-24-2011, 09:50 AM
y do aves ways have to send out unorganized disjoint emails.... it doesnt help to get the story out..... Just sending random emails will not get any attention.... In poltics/media it's important who delivers the message and how the message is delivered.....

The problem with the community is everyone thinks they are smarter and more intelligent than the other. This is why we see EB3 EB2 fights. Or one person comes up with an idea and thinks that his idea is the mother of all ideas and everyone needs to agree to it. Each person is only full of ideas and opinions but not any real tangible work effort. People just do not read what I wrote on the thread/ choose to ignore. I have also seen that people tend to believe any junk written on other websites including any lawyer website and will even quote it as a reliable information. But when we write it, they think of it coming from just another EB3/EB2 guy. There is no respect or value for our experience doing this effort from the front lines for the last 5 years on a daily basis and that we communicate with lot of experts in this area very regularly. And still someone came up with an action of drafting a template and writing email!!

Do people even know how a media story is published? How an idea is taken up? How an idea is pursued? How PR effort is done behind an idea or organization? The anonymous guys wanting to send emails, will not even volunteer to do actual interview or appear on camera if any reporter contacts. Many times we in IV have to let go of a media opportunity because we could not find a single person to appear on camera or for newspaper interview? So all this sending of spam emails is bogus if people in this community are not ready to stand up for themselves and speak for themselves. They need to stop speaking for their anonymous IDs and show up when it matters, contribute $s when it matters and have courage to say what they believe is unfair and unjust.

The reason why our community is stuck in backlogs and will continue to be stuck for several years is because of the community. The government , employers or system cannot be blamed. The system has been working non stop for many years now and they follow the law. Law is very clear on how immigration in this country should work. The problem lies in the people complaining about it. They are unwilling to take any real action and only complain on forums. There is severe lack of unity. Most people are just happy with the way things are or only think about their very narrow selfish interest in their application. They just cannot move out of thinking about their Priority date, tracking, calculations and predictions, Country and category. There is no hope for any immigration bill if the people who will be the end beneficiaries from it, do not really want any benefits.

IV does not support this thread. If anyone is actually interested in doing something useful, set up appointments with lawmakers. Travel to DC regularly and join our DC meetings with lawmakers. In-fact we have several meetings next month. If you honestly care about your greencard, do some real advocacy work instead of sending junk emails.

greencard.wait
08-24-2011, 02:15 PM
Pappu - Can you share next months meeting details with everyone.

The problem with the community is everyone thinks they are smarter and more intelligent than the other. This is why we see EB3 EB2 fights. Or one person comes up with an idea and thinks that his idea is the mother of all ideas and everyone needs to agree to it. Each person is only full of ideas and opinions but not any real tangible work effort. People just do not read what I wrote on the thread/ choose to ignore. I have also seen that people tend to believe any junk written on other websites including any lawyer website and will even quote it as a reliable information. But when we write it, they think of it coming from just another EB3/EB2 guy. There is no respect or value for our experience doing this effort from the front lines for the last 5 years on a daily basis and that we communicate with lot of experts in this area very regularly. And still someone came up with an action of drafting a template and writing email!!

Do people even know how a media story is published? How an idea is taken up? How an idea is pursued? How PR effort is done behind an idea or organization? The anonymous guys wanting to send emails, will not even volunteer to do actual interview or appear on camera if any reporter contacts. Many times we in IV have to let go of a media opportunity because we could not find a single person to appear on camera or for newspaper interview? So all this sending of spam emails is bogus if people in this community are not ready to stand up for themselves and speak for themselves. They need to stop speaking for their anonymous IDs and show up when it matters, contribute $s when it matters and have courage to say what they believe is unfair and unjust.

The reason why our community is stuck in backlogs and will continue to be stuck for several years is because of the community. The government , employers or system cannot be blamed. The system has been working non stop for many years now and they follow the law. Law is very clear on how immigration in this country should work. The problem lies in the people complaining about it. They are unwilling to take any real action and only complain on forums. There is severe lack of unity. Most people are just happy with the way things are or only think about their very narrow selfish interest in their application. They just cannot move out of thinking about their Priority date, tracking, calculations and predictions, Country and category. There is no hope for any immigration bill if the people who will be the end beneficiaries from it, do not really want any benefits.

IV does not support this thread. If anyone is actually interested in doing something useful, set up appointments with lawmakers. Travel to DC regularly and join our DC meetings with lawmakers. In-fact we have several meetings next month. If you honestly care about your greencard, do some real advocacy work instead of sending junk emails.

greencard.wait
08-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Pappu - Can you share next months meeting details with everyone.

I can see National home association is supporting this initiative but not IV. I still like to encourage everyone to send your idea to CNN / FOX and other media or to Senator / WH.

I am doing my part hope to see everyone interested do their too.

alecshermon
09-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Dear friends,

I am subscriber of WhiteHouse.gov. I have rceived the following mail today. It appears to be a decent way to petition the government regarding plights of emplyment based immigrants in this country. Thanks!!!

Good morning,
We're about to change the way Americans engage with President Obama and his Administration by launching a new way for you to join with fellow Americans to petition the federal government on a range of issues.
It's called We the People and you can learn more about it, and sign up to be the first to know when it's live here:

President Obama believes that government should be open and accountable to its citizens, and that's the goal of We the People. This online platform gives Americans a direct line to the White House on the issues and concerns that matter most to them.
Soon, anyone will be able to create or sign a petition at WhiteHouse.gov seeking action from the federal government on a range of issues. If a petition gathers enough signatures, the White House staff will review it, make sure it gets to Obama Administration policy experts, and issue an official response. President Obama will even answer a few himself.
While this is a big change for the White House's website, the idea is actually written into our founding documents. Throughout our history, Americans have used petitions to organize around issues they care about. We the People gives you a new way to join together with others to ask your government to address a problem, change a policy, or take action on a range of issues.

We the People will be launching very soon so start thinking about the issues that matter to you and the people you'll ask to join you.
We're looking forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,
David Plouffe
Senior Advisor to the President

P.S. Help us spread the word about this new tool by forwarding this email to ten friends. And remember, if you want to learn more about We the People and be the first to know when it is live, head to We the People | The White House (http://www.WhiteHouse.gov/WeThePeople)

greencard.wait
09-02-2011, 02:40 PM
How to stop the housing depression - dailylocal.com (http://www.dailylocal.com/articles/2011/08/27/opinion/srv0000013426460.txt)

As the president contemplates his options for creating jobs and stimulating the economy, here's one idea he should consider: Create a new immigration lottery that would let in up to a million newcomers — on the condition that they immediately purchase a home with cash.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/an_immigration_fix_for_the_housing_M0sKDoWwQblRby7 MqjTEjP

doknek
09-02-2011, 02:47 PM

A. Yes. 1st time buyer.
C. No
D. May be

A. < 150,000
B. $150,000- 300,000
C. $300,000 - $500,000
D. > $500,000

A. <10%
B. 10-20%
C. 20-50%
D. >50%

greencard.wait
09-21-2011, 10:46 PM
"But let me just say one thing about legal immigration. Let's not lose sight of the fact that our legal immigration system is broken. And if we want to do something about attracting brain power to this country, if we want to lift real estate values.

"For example, why is it that Vancouver is the fastest-growing real estate market in the world today? They allow immigrants in legally, and it lifts all boats."

Huntsman: Americans Need Reagan Approach to Immigration (http://immigration.about.com/b/2011/09/08/huntsman-americans-need-reagan-approach-to-immigration.htm)

Increase legal immigration to spur economy Opinion NewburyportNews.com, Newburyport, MA (http://www.newburyportnews.com/opinion/x1699202928/Increase-legal-immigration-to-spur-economy)

Green Card Backlog a Deterrent for Economic Success (http://www.usimmigration.com/green-card-backlog.html)

psagarn
09-22-2011, 09:34 AM
Dear friends,

I am subscriber of WhiteHouse.gov. I have rceived the following mail today. It appears to be a decent way to petition the government regarding plights of emplyment based immigrants in this country. Thanks!!!

Good morning,
We're about to change the way Americans engage with President Obama and his Administration by launching a new way for you to join with fellow Americans to petition the federal government on a range of issues.
It's called We the People and you can learn more about it, and sign up to be the first to know when it's live here:

President Obama believes that government should be open and accountable to its citizens, and that's the goal of We the People. This online platform gives Americans a direct line to the White House on the issues and concerns that matter most to them.
Soon, anyone will be able to create or sign a petition at WhiteHouse.gov seeking action from the federal government on a range of issues. If a petition gathers enough signatures, the White House staff will review it, make sure it gets to Obama Administration policy experts, and issue an official response. President Obama will even answer a few himself.
While this is a big change for the White House's website, the idea is actually written into our founding documents. Throughout our history, Americans have used petitions to organize around issues they care about. We the People gives you a new way to join together with others to ask your government to address a problem, change a policy, or take action on a range of issues.

We the People will be launching very soon so start thinking about the issues that matter to you and the people you'll ask to join you.
We're looking forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,
David Plouffe
Senior Advisor to the President

P.S. Help us spread the word about this new tool by forwarding this email to ten friends. And remember, if you want to learn more about We the People and be the first to know when it is live, head to We the People | The White House (http://www.WhiteHouse.gov/WeThePeople)
I tried to go to the link and create a petition but could not figure out how to do it. There is a section for Immigration under Issues but that did not have any "create a petition" or anything like that.
I am all for actions, so please post the next month's plan for advocacy efforts. I will be there!

slowwin
09-22-2011, 09:52 AM
.... we are fighting against great odds here. collective action is not going anywhere, politics is broken, economy is broken and immigrants are scapegoats for all the ills. I am sure that this effort is not going anywhere, because the laws are not going to be changed by congress for a while (think years!).

The only real solution is self help. Port to higher categories(EB3-->Eb2, Eb2--->Eb1) or invest(Eb5) or find better place to live (ex: R2I etc).The reality is most of us are wasting our golden years. I did that for Eleven years myself.

Sorry to rain on the parade, But my intentions are good and I am only trying to elicit another view point.

Good luck!

slowwin

chikna
09-22-2011, 09:56 AM
In 2008, Obama shouted loudly 'Change we can believe in' now it is fading away. I didn't see any change rather total failure. Will there be a change in Presidency? Only time will tell.

After 13 years, I decided to upgrade from EB3 to EB2. I am doing Masters.. will take 2 years to complete. I can't wait 20 years for EB3 to be current.

alecshermon
09-22-2011, 11:29 AM
This is what I have received today. Should all of us petition for EB2 and EB3 applicants? They will respond to the petition only if 5000 people petition in a month.

The White House has just launched We the People on WhiteHouse.gov and you're the first to know.
We the People is a new way for Americans to create and sign petitions calling on the Obama Administration to take action on a range of important issues.
Learn more and get started:

We the People is easy to use. Here's how it works:
Create or Sign a Petition: Anyone 13 or older can create or sign a petition on WhiteHouse.gov asking the Obama Administration to take action on a range issues.
Build Support and Gather Signatures for your Petition: It's up to you to build support for a petition. Use email, Facebook, Twitter and word of mouth to tell your friends, family and coworkers about the petitions you care about.
The White House Reviews and Responds: If a petition reaches 5,000 within 30 days, it will be reviewed by a standing group of White House officials, referred to any other relevant policymakers and an official response will be issued.
The idea of petitioning the White House or the government isn't new, but this tool is. The White House has never tried anything like this before, and as a result, we'll probably have to make some adjustments as we go. As we do, we'll keep you posted on the White House blog.
So think about an issue you care about, who you can reach out to join you, and get started:
http://www.WhiteHouse.gov/Petitions
P.S. Help spread the word about this new tool by forwarding this email to anyone else who would find We the People interesting.
Stay Connected

Edison99
09-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Good with your upgrade...

In 2008, Obama shouted loudly 'Change we can believe in' now it is fading away. I didn't see any change rather total failure. Will there be a change in Presidency? Only time will tell.

After 13 years, I decided to upgrade from EB3 to EB2. I am doing Masters.. will take 2 years to complete. I can't wait 20 years for EB3 to be current.

thomachan72
09-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Looks like the president is going to be on the Linkedln Sept 26 2PM, EST? I guess people could post questions to him?

TomPlate
09-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Hi Guys,

How about unconditional green card or conditional red card. Here is a thread which is a real people with no value.

Go man.... Go green....

cellphone
09-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Hey bud,

Do you have IV's consent for doing anything like this? Havent u read pvs posts regarding this effort? You ARE using IV's website for your personal agenda. If you want to take this on your own do it elsewhere.

This is your own selfish effort and does not encompass a larger body. Here is a reason why. There are many of us here who are non-green-cards and who have purchased a house and thus have helped the economy immensely long before you came up with your bright idea. One can make a case that potential immigrants who have already purchased houses and are paying their bills on their homes on time have saved those homes from being foreclosed. Also, such potential immigrants bought houses 5-6 yrs ago, when the value of the houses were much higher. So, we poured (and are still pouring) more money into the economy. These days, foreclosed homes don't cost as much. And your selfish effort only wants to support those people who MIGHT buy a foreclosed cheap home provided a law of interest passes? Those legally-present homeowners are helping the economy TODAY as we speak in the real estate area. What is your contribution in this area today?

Have fun recruiting people!