PDA

View Full Version : Travel to Puerto Rico

IVfan08
01-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Hi. Just wondering if we require a valid US stamp on our passports if we travel to Puerto Rico. My wife, on H1, is still waiting for her H1B renewal to get approved. Therefore she does not have a valid stamp or valid 787 - just the H1B renewal application receipt.

Basically, would this be like traveling domestically? Is there any chance of being questioned on the way back?

Thanks.

sbindval
01-11-2009, 07:34 PM
had travelled to PR 3 years back...its considered domestic. we only had our drivers license.

pointlesswait
01-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Its considered a part of US...so no need for visa..
if someone thinks otherwise ..let us know.

Hi. Just wondering if we require a valid US stamp on our passports if we travel to Puerto Rico. My wife, on H1, is still waiting for her H1B renewal to get approved. Therefore she does not have a valid stamp or valid 787 - just the H1B renewal application receipt.

Basically, would this be like traveling domestically? Is there any chance of being questioned on the way back?

Thanks.

austinsamb
01-12-2009, 10:33 AM
I've been to PR about couple of dozen times in the last year and half. I'm travelling next month as well... I always carry my passport. Sometimes (4-5 of all my trips) the border personal stand in the jetbridge while you are entering the flight and ask people if they are citizens. If you say your not then they will ask for your passport. If your a visa holder then they will ask for it but if you've an approved renewal I797 or AP you should be fine. Ive always showed H1B.

The reason they ask is cos of its close proximity to other countries with which US does not have diplomatic ties. But regardless, its very informal, they do it very casual and my guess is a DL will fly. PR is called the Commonwealth of US just like Pennsylvania and some other states in the mainland are. But my guess you should be fine.

Please refer to this post for more details:

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22422

The7zen
01-13-2009, 03:01 PM
austinsamb,
Thanks much for the detailed info. I am planning a trip and this info is very useful.

-7zen

conundrum
01-13-2009, 04:35 PM
I had travelled to PR last year Oct. Didnt have any problems whatsoever. But it is definitely safer to carry your passport and AP.