PDA

View Full Version : Did not surrender I-94 card

rockstart
01-08-2009, 08:08 PM
My friend while leaving US he did not surrender the I-94 card. Actually he forgot it at home and the airlines allowed him to board plane without surrendering I-94. What should he do now? Guru's does any one have any experience with such situation? Please help

gc_buddy
01-08-2009, 08:36 PM
He can send the I-94 to the nearest consulate by mail and a brief letter with all the details.

My friend while leaving US he did not surrender the I-94 card. Actually he forgot it at home and the airlines allowed him to board plane without surrendering I-94. What should he do now? Guru's does any one have any experience with such situation? Please help

desitechie
01-08-2009, 08:46 PM

He needs to send it to the USCIS office in kentucky. you can google and get the address.

a_yaja
01-08-2009, 08:53 PM
He can send the I-94 to the nearest consulate by mail and a brief letter with all the details.
Embassies do not handle these matters. Departure and arrival records are maintained by Customs and Border Patrol (CBP). Here is the link for instructions on what to do if you did not surrender the I-94:

http://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=752&p_created=1077641280&p_sid=RGQ8g3Hh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9OCZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9wdj0mcF9 jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX 3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PUktOTQ*&p_li=&p_topview=1

gc_buddy
01-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Ok, Noted. That's what my company few years back advised few of our assoicates to do when they did not surrender I -94

Embassies do not handle these matters. Departure and arrival records are maintained by Customs and Border Patrol (CBP). Here is the link for instructions on what to do if you did not surrender the I-94:

http://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=752&p_created=1077641280&p_sid=RGQ8g3Hh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9OCZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9wdj0mcF9 jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX 3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PUktOTQ*&p_li=&p_topview=1

reddymjm
01-08-2009, 09:56 PM
He needs to send it to the USCIS office in kentucky. you can google and get the address.

Right answer.

rockstart
01-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Thank you so much guys for the info

cdeneo
01-09-2009, 04:34 AM
What happens if one does not surrender the I-94 when travelling abroad?

rockstart
01-09-2009, 12:53 PM
As far as I know he was allowed to board the flight. No issues there but there can be issues when he re-enters US. Since he was on B1 (10 year Multiple) he can stay max 6 months in US so he has I 94 till Apr 09 but if he say come in Oct 09 to US again the system might not have checked him off so it might display that he is still in US and he overstayed his Visa and so CBP will call him in for secondary inspection. As far as I know it can be resolved by showing flight ticket stub and arrival stamp in destination country etc. Its more if hassle than anything.

ashkam
01-09-2009, 12:53 PM
What happens if one does not surrender the I-94 when travelling abroad?

It means that on paper you never left the US. In the meantime if your I-94 expired, you would technically be out of status in the US.

gcdreamer05
01-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Anotehr question in thsi regard, say ur I-94 expired and you applied for and got h1 renewal, and the new I-797 has the new I-94 in it, so we cut it from there and staple it to our passports ???

And when we leave the country we surrender both the I-94s ???

RDB
01-09-2009, 01:38 PM
This is probably not true - you can always show the landing stamp (of your destination country) to prove that you were out of US. Every country will stamp your passport on arrival.

It means that on paper you never left the US. In the meantime if your I-94 expired, you would technically be out of status in the US.

Marphad
01-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Anotehr question in thsi regard, say ur I-94 expired and you applied for and got h1 renewal, and the new I-797 has the new I-94 in it, so we cut it from there and staple it to our passports ???

And when we leave the country we surrender both the I-94s ???

No the current one!

sc3
01-09-2009, 01:43 PM
No the current one!

No, you are supposed to return all I-94s!!.

cbpds
06-08-2010, 01:54 PM
What if someone returned the initial I94 but not the latest one because we attched the wrong I94 portion, will we need to send the new I94 after extension back to USCIS as well?

No, you are supposed to return all I-94s!!.

kondur_007
06-08-2010, 03:09 PM
What if someone returned the initial I94 but not the latest one because we attched the wrong I94 portion, will we need to send the new I94 after extension back to USCIS as well?

In my opinion, you do not really have to. here are a few points (to the best of my knowledge):

1. Surrendering I 94 establishes the day/date when you left US.

2. If you have more than one I 94 (from the same entry), the "white one" will be attached to your passport and others (that came with extension or change of status) will be attached to your approval notices. THEY ALL ARE SUPPOSED TO HAVE SAME NUMBER. So, technically you have to surrender them all when you leave the country, but if you surrender any one of them, it still establishes the same thing and you do not need to do anything about the rest.

3. If you forgot to return I 94 altogether, keep a record of your leaving US on specific date (copy of boarding passes, passport stamp of entry in another country etc) and you can use that as an evidence of leaving in time (if asked about it in future). OR you can return your I 94 at a laterdate with these copies attached to USCIS.

I have not heard of anyone getting in trouble because of not returning I 94 (please correct me on this if any of you have heard of it) - as long as they did not overstay.

cbpds
06-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Appreciate your response kondur, we have submitted the original I94, hence we shd be fine.

In my opinion, you do not really have to. here are a few points (to the best of my knowledge):

1. Surrendering I 94 establishes the day/date when you left US.

2. If you have more than one I 94 (from the same entry), the "white one" will be attached to your passport and others (that came with extension or change of status) will be attached to your approval notices. THEY ALL ARE SUPPOSED TO HAVE SAME NUMBER. So, technically you have to surrender them all when you leave the country, but if you surrender any one of them, it still establishes the same thing and you do not need to do anything about the rest.

3. If you forgot to return I 94 altogether, keep a record of your leaving US on specific date (copy of boarding passes, passport stamp of entry in another country etc) and you can use that as an evidence of leaving in time (if asked about it in future). OR you can return your I 94 at a laterdate with these copies attached to USCIS.

I have not heard of anyone getting in trouble because of not returning I 94 (please correct me on this if any of you have heard of it) - as long as they did not overstay.

WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC
06-08-2010, 04:18 PM
As far as I know he was allowed to board the flight. No issues there but there can be issues when he re-enters US. Since he was on B1 (10 year Multiple) he can stay max 6 months in US so he has I 94 till Apr 09 but if he say come in Oct 09 to US again the system might not have checked him off so it might display that he is still in US and he overstayed his Visa and so CBP will call him in for secondary inspection. As far as I know it can be resolved by showing flight ticket stub and arrival stamp in destination country etc. Its more if hassle than anything.

Nothing will happen. They will not have the I-94 record at port of entry. I and many of my friends did not give our I-94's while going to india. I threw away the old ones and came in with my new one.
Nobody will ask you, u don't have to take the pain of going and informing the Port of entry.