PDA

View Full Version : B1/B2 for marriage

yaseen82
08-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Hi Experts,

I am thinking of sponsoring my sister in law for a vistion (B1/B2) visa. She has met a guy who works in US and are willing to get married. She wants to come here on visitor (B1/B2) visa and get married and then both are planning to apply for her change of status. I do not know if this is a feasible plan.

I want to know if i sponsor her B1/B2 visa with an invite letter saying she is visiting us and we will be taking a family vacation and if the visa gets approved and she gets married to this guy. Will it be a problem for me later as she lied on her visit intentions?? I am on a H1B visa and do not want any complications.

Pls advice.

designflaw
08-07-2011, 03:06 PM
I wouldn't lie on any immigration related documents.

DSLStart
08-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Hi Experts,

I am thinking of sponsoring my sister in law for a vistion (B1/B2) visa. She has met a guy who works in US and are willing to get married. She wants to come here on visitor (B1/B2) visa and get married and then both are planning to apply for her change of status. I do not know if this is a feasible plan.

I want to know if i sponsor her B1/B2 visa with an invite letter saying she is visiting us and we will be taking a family vacation and if the visa gets approved and she gets married to this guy. Will it be a problem for me later as she lied on her visit intentions?? I am on a H1B visa and do not want any complications.

Pls advice.

Not good, unless you are in love with US prison system.

vinzak
08-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Hi Experts,

Pls advice.

Look into something called fiance visa (K-1 visa). This is the correct and legal way for your sister to come here and get married assuming your sister's to-be is a US citizen.

Otherwise, it depends on what status he is here on. Coming here on a B1-B2 and getting married can cause many complications, including getting deported and being banned from entering the US.

mayurcreation
08-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Hi Experts,

Pls advice.

Contact couple of desi lawyer for best suggestions. One of my friend did similar thing what you are looking for. His lawyer had suggested him to wait for exact 3 months after B1/B2 get enter into USA and than do marriage on local county court. You need to book/reserve date of marriage with county court well in advance. My friend was on H1 and he marry B1/B2 (now his wife) after 3 months of entry and applied for change of status from B1/B2 to H4. Now his wife is on H4.

I would strongly recommend you to contact atleast couple of desi lawyer before you move ahead...