PDA

View Full Version : IV Announcement: NOTICE OF SUBCOMMITTEE HEARING

pappu
07-19-2011, 01:24 PM
We are very happy to announce that IV core Team member Dr. Puneet Arora (paskal) will be testifying in the Senate Immigration Subcommittee hearing next week. Our organization has been invited to testify and it is an honor for all of us. The hard work of all IV members from past 6 years is recognized and lawmakers want to hear from us to fix the broken immigration system. Please mark your calendars for 10am, July 26 morning. If you can come to DC you are invited to join us at the hearing. Else you can watch it on C-Span. We will post the link when it is available.

More details:
View a Hearing or Meeting (http://judiciary.senate.gov/hearings/hearing.cfm?id=3d9031b47812de2592c3baeba62beeb0)

“The Economic Imperative for Enacting Immigration Reform”
Senate Judiciary Committee
Subcommittee on Immigration, Refugees and Border Security
View a webcast of this hearing
DATE: July 26, 2011
TIME: 10:00 AM
ROOM: Dirksen 226
OFFICIAL HEARING NOTICE / WITNESS LIST:

July 19, 2011

NOTICE OF SUBCOMMITTEE HEARING

The Senate Committee on the Judiciary has scheduled a hearing of the Subcommittee on Immigration, Refugees and Border Security entitled “The Economic Imperative for Enacting Immigration Reform” for Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 10:00 a.m. in Room 226 of the Dirksen Senate Office Building.

Chairman Schumer to preside.

By order of the Chairman.

Witness List

Hearing before the
Senate Committee on the Judiciary

On

Tuesday, July 26, 2011
Dirksen Senate Office Building, Room 226
10:00 a.m.

Panel I

Robert Greifeld
Chief Executive Officer
NASDAQ OMX Group
New York, NY

David J. Skorton
President
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY

Brad Smith
General Counsel and Senior Vice President, Legal and Corporate Affairs
Microsoft Corporation
Redmond, WA

Dr. Puneet S. Arora
Vice President
Immigration Voice
Los Angeles, CA

pappu
07-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Sen. Chuck Schumer tries reviving immigration bill - Carrie Budoff Brown - POLITICO.com (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0711/59311.html)

The witnesses includes NASDAQ chief Robert Greifield, Cornell University President David Skorton, Microsoft General Counsel Brad Smith, and Amgen medical director Puneet Arora, who is testifying in his role as a leader of Immigration Voice, which favors boosting legal immigration of high-skilled workers. The second panel will include testimony from the mayors of Utica, N.Y., Lewiston, Maine, and Uvalda, Ga.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0711/59311.html#ixzz1SZczwO7r

pd052009
07-19-2011, 01:27 PM
It is a great achivement. Congrats IV.

Leo07
07-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Good Luck!
We are very happy to announce that IV core Team member Dr. Puneet Arora (paskal) will be testifying in the Senate Immigration Subcommittee hearing next week. Our organization has been invited to testify and it is an honor for all of us. The hard work of all IV members from past 6 years is recognized and lawmakers want to hear from us to fix the broken immigration system. Please mark your calendars for 10am, July 26 morning. If you can come to DC you are invited to join us at the hearing. Else you can watch it on C-Span. We will post the link when it is available.

More details:
View a Hearing or Meeting (http://judiciary.senate.gov/hearings/hearing.cfm?id=3d9031b47812de2592c3baeba62beeb0)

July 19, 2011

The Senate Committee on the Judiciary has scheduled a hearing of the Subcommittee on Immigration, Refugees and Border Security entitled “The Economic Imperative for Enacting Immigration Reform” for Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 10:00 a.m. in Room 226 of the Dirksen Senate Office Building.

Witness List

Hearing before the

On

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Panel I

Robert Greifeld
Chief Executive Officer
NASDAQ OMX Group
New York, NY

David J. Skorton
President
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY

Brad Smith
Microsoft Corporation
Redmond, WA

Dr. Puneet S. Arora
Vice President
Immigration Voice
Los Angeles, CA

sanju_dba
07-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Congratulations and God bless!

kumar4875
07-19-2011, 01:42 PM
If you can come to DC you are invited to join us at the hearing. --

what exactly you mean .

How many people are allowed to come in?

Will it be effective if more people gathered there?

smuggymba
07-19-2011, 01:43 PM

More details:

July 19, 2011

Witness List

Hearing before the

On

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Panel I

Robert Greifeld
Chief Executive Officer
NASDAQ OMX Group
New York, NY

David J. Skorton
President
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY

Brad Smith
Microsoft Corporation
Redmond, WA

Dr. Puneet S. Arora
Vice President
Immigration Voice
Los Angeles, CA

congrats to all of IV's core team. I'll be watching it in office:)

asanghi
07-19-2011, 01:46 PM
on being recognized. This really is a huge recognition. Good luck to Paskal.

new2gc
07-19-2011, 01:46 PM
This is a great achievement to get such recognition....Well done team IV.

Hope the lawmakers now hear the issues directly from us rather than thru lobbying firms...:-)
I know.. only Lobbying works and nothing else...!!

TeddyKoochu
07-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Pappu thanks for posting, congrats to IV & paskal. Its a huge achievement

thankgod
07-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Great achievement. All the best to all of us.

Please post the updates regularly.

snathan
07-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Congrats IV....hope to see all the nay sayers to join IV's efforts soon.

forever_waiting
07-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Great effort.
Thank you for speaking on behalf of all of us.

Leo07
07-19-2011, 02:12 PM
IMHO, we must stop talking from high pedestal and be approachable and all-inclusive first. There is nothing to prove to nay-sayers or people sitting on the fence. There will always be nay sayers and doubters, it's just a waste of time to even target them. Moreover, this is definitely not the time for chest-thumping.

My 2 cents.
Congrats IV....hope to see all the nay sayers to join IV's efforts soon.

sage2006
07-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Great effort by IV.
I hope the entire EB community unites over IV's tireless efforts. IV core members have been selflessly workign and speaking out for us. Taking time out of work to attend meetings on Capitol Hill, travelling across the country for lobbying, working 9-5 day jobs and then spending the rest of their personal time for advocating EB relief provisions and so on.I , for one, am personally aware of these efforts. These efforts and sacrifices never come out in public since these guys do not want any attention or credit. Most of them already have their green cards but are just motivated by the challenge to fix this issue of green card backlogs.

The bottomline is that we are in this mess together and lobbying and legislative relief is the ONLY way to reduce EB green card wait times. So even if people disagree with IV, the fact is that every backlogged EB applicant will benefit from these efforts.
Good Luck to paskal at the hearing. I am sure he will do a great job bringing focus to our plight.

ronhira
07-19-2011, 02:24 PM
excellent.... this is good stuff..... like it (fb)...... best to paskal....

bugsbunny
07-19-2011, 02:29 PM
The fact that a representative of IV will be testifying before the senate committee is proof of IV's dedication and efforts towards real advocacy as a solution to our issues.

Kudos to IV!

PS: we need to update our achievement list here
Its still stagnant at sept 2009
ImmigrationVoice.org - About Immigration Voice (http://immigrationvoice.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5&Itemid=47)

I can help compile a list from such public announcements

vidyas_m
07-19-2011, 02:30 PM
All the best to Paskal. Thank you Pappu for posting the info. Great work IV!

looneytunezez
07-19-2011, 02:31 PM
great job, and good to see many years of hard work pay..... well done IV!

sage2006
07-19-2011, 02:34 PM
I agree that there will be differences in opinion we cannot address but calling any of the responses so far "chest-thumping" is over-reaction, in my opinion.
I do not see any greater example of inclusiveness and a common platform than the news of this hearing.

IMHO, we must stop talking from high pedestal and be approachable and all-inclusive first. There is nothing to prove to nay-sayers or people sitting on the fence. There will always be nay sayers and doubters, it's just a waste of time to even target them. Moreover, this is definitely not the time for chest-thumping.

My 2 cents.

ronhira
07-19-2011, 02:36 PM
here is the link to webcast.... found it from a webpage posted earlier.....

Committee Viewer (http://www.senate.gov/fplayers/CommPlayer/commFlashPlayer.cfm?fn=judiciary072611&st=xxx)

sweet....

forever_waiting
07-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Thanks for sharing this. I assume this will be 10:00 ET so its 7:00 PT.

here is the link to webcast.... found it from a webpage posted earlier.....

Committee Viewer (http://www.senate.gov/fplayers/CommPlayer/commFlashPlayer.cfm?fn=judiciary072611&st=xxx)

sweet....

viswanadh73
07-19-2011, 02:42 PM
just wondering, is this bill allow to Recapture VISAS?

ghost
07-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Great Going IV...never came across of any (non-profit) immigration organization that continues to work selflessly and tirelessly, every single day behind-the-scenes, towards the betterment of entire EB Immigration community!

Proud to be part of IV...hopefully we'll grow more stronger together and can influence the legislative process to address high-skilled EB Immigration backlogs that'd benefit every single member of IV. Ok - let me get back to the voluntary work that I signed up for IV - I'll check back on Jul 26th. Good luck to all of us!

ghost
07-19-2011, 02:46 PM
just wondering, is this bill allow to Recapture VISAS?

This is not a bill hearing my friend...we'll get there soon with support from folks like you. Help IV to help yourselves...EB-3 has to push for legislative action and this sets the stage for legislative action. Good Luck!

ronhira
07-19-2011, 02:46 PM
+1

great going iv...never came across of any (non-profit) immigration organization that continues to work selflessly and tirelessly, every single day behind-the-scenes, towards the betterment of entire eb immigration community!

Proud to be part of iv...hopefully we'll grow more stronger together and can influence the legislative process to address high-skilled eb immigration backlogs that'd benefit every single member of iv. Ok - let me get back to the voluntary work that i signed up for iv - i'll check back on jul 26th. Good luck to all of us!

lostcause2007
07-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Thanks for sharing the info. I will be watching the hearing for sure.
Hope this gets the ball rolling on EB backlog reform (if it is not already rolling i.e.).

eastindia
07-19-2011, 02:56 PM
I am proud of being an IV member today. I pray that this hearing brings our problems more known so that Senators can bring some bill. I am ready to come to DC whenever IV wants me for lobby day. I am also taking an appointment with my local Congressman to go and talk to their local office.q

letstalklc
07-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Wow.......

it's great achievement, thank you so much for sharing.

redds777
07-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Great achievement IV . This shows We have come a longway . thanks for all the help and suport of IV and its core team members and other donor members etcc... for all the help.

Good luck Punith .

Redds

More details:

July 19, 2011

Witness List

Hearing before the

On

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Panel I

Robert Greifeld
Chief Executive Officer
NASDAQ OMX Group
New York, NY

David J. Skorton
President
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY

Brad Smith
Microsoft Corporation
Redmond, WA

Dr. Puneet S. Arora
Vice President
Immigration Voice
Los Angeles, CA

chikna
07-19-2011, 03:30 PM
Congratulations and good luck.

nagio
07-19-2011, 03:44 PM
Great effort!! Congratulations IV!!

rahul2699
07-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks for sharing the info. I will be watching the hearing for sure.
Hope this gets the ball rolling on EB backlog reform (if it is not already rolling i.e.).

I hope so too however advocacy is the only way to get any real reform. Help IV to help you as this is the only chance...

ak_2006
07-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Congrats IV and Pascal.

All the best.

Madhuri
07-19-2011, 03:53 PM
Congratulations IV! Good luck Pascal.

arunsarun
07-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Way to go IV....

pappu
07-19-2011, 04:07 PM
test

Green06
07-19-2011, 04:27 PM
We are proud of you.

vbkris77
07-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Congratulations to IV..

I know as members, we are all in good hands of IV.

mgmanoj
07-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Congrates

bpratap
07-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Kudos to IV.

Kudos to tireless efforts of IV for the benefit of EB community !

Hopeful567
07-19-2011, 05:18 PM
There are no short cuts and it will be long gruelling journey to a get comprehensive legislative fix to the employment based immigration mess. But it is high time the elected representatives of this country realize that fixing this mess is more in this country's interests than in ours !!!

srini1976
07-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Huge achievement. Go IV go

Honda
07-19-2011, 05:47 PM
IV did great job.

Pappu thanks for sharing the information....

gc_peshwa
07-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Many congratulations to the entire IV team...u guys tireless efforts will surely pay off...

H1B_CIVIL_ENGINEER
07-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Congrats on being selected. How did he end up being selected as the one? What is he planning to talk about?

gsudheer17
07-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Hi

I am new to this community. Congrats and thanks a lot for the hard work you people has done.

Is he going to discuss about visa recapturing? How is this going to help the EB backlog?

snathan
07-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Hi

I am new to this community. Congrats and thanks a lot for the hard work you people has done.

Is he going to discuss about visa recapturing? How is this going to help the EB backlog?

Mostly he will be talking about the EB backlog...I dont think he will talk about the recapture...

I urge people to donate money and time for IV advocacy efforts...

sjkumar
07-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Good JOB IV team. Fruits of long and consistent work by IV team.

ghost
07-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Congrats on being selected. How did he end up being selected as the one? What is he planning to talk about?

Let me share my personal experience on this selection process - the person selected is just like you and me but participated in previous IV campaigns, understood the core issues that needed to be addressed and more importantly has a story to tell on how this immigration backlog negatively impacts high-skilled immigrants.

I do understand that some times we all feel helpless and less passionate about the unfair immigration process. Also, let's be honest - we've our busy lives and clearly Immigration is not a happy issue to think or talk about on a daily basis. So, we need to find a way to support these self-less individuals from IV Leadership (most of them have their GCs and are still working for us) who are our true representatives in Washington.

One of my mentors volunteered to represent IV on this hearing as he has a small-business success story to tell. So, we have quite a success stories to represent IV. I'm sure Dr. Puneet Arora has a compelling story and I can't wait to hear it on 26th July on a nation-wide platform. This is HUGE and hopefully unite the entire community over a common goal - Help IV to Help You!

hello
07-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Congrats on being selected. How did he end up being selected as the one? What is he planning to talk about?I don't know what he will say but one thing is for sure that nobody can make our case better than an IV person as he knows what EB community is going through.So please spread this info to your friends/colleages so they can also participate.

ghost
07-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Hi

Welcome - 6 months is eternity in this immigration process. So you are certainly not a newbie anymore. Having said that, glad to see that you are posting and asking the right questions. I don't have the answer to your specific question but trust me - he will ONLY talk about topics that'd help reduce the EB Backlog. There is a lot of background work that happens - let's all watch him in pride on Jul 26th. Good Luck!

planets
07-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Sounds really great.... All the best to IV :p

More details:

July 19, 2011

Witness List

Hearing before the

On

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Panel I

Robert Greifeld
Chief Executive Officer
NASDAQ OMX Group
New York, NY

David J. Skorton
President
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY

Brad Smith
Microsoft Corporation
Redmond, WA

Dr. Puneet S. Arora
Vice President
Immigration Voice
Los Angeles, CA

sage2006
07-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Here is some background information that I have collected which will help understand the significance of this hearing. Please feel free to correct as needed.
(Source: Wikipedia, Google)

What is a Congressional Hearing?Committees hold legislative hearings on measures or policy issues that may become public law. Sometimes a committee holds hearings on multiple measures before ultimately choosing one vehicle for further committee and chamber action. Hearings provide a forum where facts and opinions can be presented from witnesses with varied backgrounds, including Members of Congress and other government officials, interest groups, and academics, as well as citizens likely to be directly or indirectly affected by the proposal.

This hearing is being conducted by the Senate Judiciary Sub-committee on Immigration, Refugees and Border Security which is chaired by Senator CHuck Schumer (who will be chairing the hearing as well).

Official Notification -> View a Hearing or Meeting (http://judiciary.senate.gov/hearings/hearing.cfm?id=3d9031b47812de2592c3baeba62beeb0)

Now Puneeth/IV was not picked randomly out of the blue to represent us at the hearing. This followed months of lobbying and meetings on Capitol Hill (including the huge advocacy day in April where 150+ IV members visited hundreds of lawmaker offices on Capitol Hill) due to which EB-backlog elimination provisions are now familiar out there and IV is now identified as the group representing the interests of high-skilled green card applicants stuck in the backlogs for many years.

Hope that puts things in perspective.
Lets hope for the best!

chanduv23
07-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Way to go Doc. U have always been a great advocate for the cause.

H1B_CIVIL_ENGINEER
07-19-2011, 08:01 PM
I don't know what he will say but one thing is for sure that nobody can make our case better than an IV person as he knows what EB community is going through.So please spread this info to your friends/colleages so they can also participate.

I bet this is already on Puneet's agenda, but the focus should be on how immigration laws are keeping immigrants from contributing to the economy fully by making it difficult to start their own businesses and create jobs. Congress will most likely not care about the rest of our problems due to high unemployment rate in the country.

checklaw
07-19-2011, 08:19 PM
....continue to feel proud to be a member of IV. Confident that our collective voice will now be accurately represented by another selfless and tireless core member to the powers who needed to have heard it long long back... good luck !!

Amma
07-19-2011, 09:47 PM
and Dr.

Waiting for July 26 , now.

pappu
07-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Firstly congrats to Puneet for being selected. Many have asked how he was selected. We had a long search process and had reached out to many members. It was also posted on the donor forum and active state chapter leaders were also informed to find from their chapters. We collected several stories of our members. Interviewed some and then narrowed down on Puneet. This search process also helped us learn that we have so many high achievers in our community that we should be proud of. Puneet is going to be representing each one of us and will relay the the pain we have been enduring for past many years in green card backlogs, He will urge lawmakers to take action and introduce legislative relief for our community.

Can someone record it and put on you tube? Many will be in office and will not be able to see it.

newuser
07-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Grt news. Go IV.

nj_03_2004
07-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Full Committee Markup of: H.R. 704, the "Security and Fairness Enhancement for America Act of 2011";

This is to eliminate green card lottery.

Did anyone watch it today? I watched till there was voting on amendment to allocate this numbers to family/employment 50/50. And then someone proposed to allocate all these numbers to PhD and similar.

I had to leave to work and I could not watch after that.

nj_03_2004
07-20-2011, 01:00 PM
delete

gc_peshwa
07-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Firstly congrats to Puneet for being selected. Many have asked how he was selected. We had a long search process and had reached out to many members. It was also posted on the donor forum and active state chapter leaders were also informed to find from their chapters. We collected several stories of our members. Interviewed some and then narrowed down on Puneet. This search process also helped us learn that we have so many high achievers in our community that we should be proud of. Puneet is going to be representing each one of us and will relay the the pain we have been enduring for past many years in green card backlogs, He will urge lawmakers to take action and introduce legislative relief for our community.

Can someone record it and put on you tube? Many will be in office and will not be able to see it.

Would CSPAN not have a copy of that recording? Just wondering...

nj_03_2004
07-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Full Committee Markup of: H.R. 704, the "Security and Fairness Enhancement for America Act of 2011";

This is to eliminate green card lottery.

Did anyone watch it today? I watched till there was voting on amendment to allocate this numbers to family/employment 50/50. And then someone proposed to allocate all these numbers to PhD and similar.

I had to leave to work and I could not watch after that.

It seems it is passed without amendment.

The Associated Press: Bill to abolish visa lottery moves to full House (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jnPv-8yLbcwo-7kL3h8gzF7SB6uQ?docId=adc47793f93f49d8bd4641e38984 3c3b)

Bill to abolish visa lottery moves to full House
By ALICIA A. CALDWELL, Associated Press – 59 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The House Judiciary Committee has voted to send a bill abolishing the State Department's visa lottery to the full House.

The bill would end the Diversity Visa Lottery program that provides up to 55,000 visas to would-be immigrants selected at random in an annual drawing.

Republican Rep. Bob Goodlatte of Virginia said Wednesday the program is riddled with problems, including fraud, and has the potential to be exploited by terrorists.

Democrats who opposed the bill, including Michigan Democrat John Conyers, argued that eliminating the visa lottery would essentially end legal immigration from African nations and reduce the overall number of visas available to all immigrants.

ronhira
07-20-2011, 01:29 PM
It seems it is passed without amendment.

The Associated Press: Bill to abolish visa lottery moves to full House (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jnPv-8yLbcwo-7kL3h8gzF7SB6uQ?docId=adc47793f93f49d8bd4641e38984 3c3b)

Bill to abolish visa lottery moves to full House
By ALICIA A. CALDWELL, Associated Press – 59 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The House Judiciary Committee has voted to send a bill abolishing the State Department's visa lottery to the full House.

The bill would end the Diversity Visa Lottery program that provides up to 55,000 visas to would-be immigrants selected at random in an annual drawing.

Republican Rep. Bob Goodlatte of Virginia said Wednesday the program is riddled with problems, including fraud, and has the potential to be exploited by terrorists.

Democrats who opposed the bill, including Michigan Democrat John Conyers, argued that eliminating the visa lottery would essentially end legal immigration from African nations and reduce the overall number of visas available to all immigrants.

if this bill to end diversity visa passed without amendment..... would it mean that diversity visas will not be allocated to eb?

forever_waiting
07-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Yep.. this bill just focusses on the diversity visa elimination part..and conveniently ignores the allottment to EB part.
It is sponsored by a group of highly anti-immigrant lawmakers..so we cannot expect anything more. Lets see if it actually goes anywhere.

if this bill to end diversity visa passed without amendment..... would it mean that diversity visas will not be allocated to eb?

nj_03_2004
07-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Yep.. this bill just focusses on the diversity visa elimination part..and conveniently ignores the allottment to EB part.
It is sponsored by a group of highly anti-immigrant lawmakers..so we cannot expect anything more. Lets see if it actually goes anywhere.

Actually there was attempt for amendment by Ms. Lofgren to allocate lottery visas to family/employment in 50/50 but was not allowed to vote.

This can be watched at NumbersUSA.tv (http://www.numbersusa.tv). Forward recording to 56:30 to see it.

swamy
07-20-2011, 06:28 PM
so happy - congratulations

senram
07-20-2011, 08:55 PM
This shows how difficult it is to increase EB numbers. Forget about any immigration bill until unemployment rate changes to less than 5 percent.

Actually there was attempt for amendment by Ms. Lofgren to allocate lottery visas to family/employment in 50/50 but was not allowed to vote.

This can be watched at NumbersUSA.tv (http://www.numbersusa.tv). Forward recording to 56:30 to see it.

puding
07-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Congratulations and Good Luck.

what_now
07-21-2011, 06:08 AM
Looking forward to watch the hearing...

psagarn
07-21-2011, 10:16 AM
I don't think any one would argue that this is a hard time for American economy. IMHO, if we can tie our plight (EB backlog and the large number of people in Limbo because of this) to the welfare of American economy there is a fair chance we would gain a support from committee members. So throwing in things like "X dollars are sent out of the economy every year by GC applicants who are currently on non-immigrant visas. Even though we want to make investments (in things like houses, cars etc.), a lot of us instead decide to send the money back to our countries because of the uncertain future here (at least I did). If we are assured of our residency status here in America, why would we invest in our countries of origin? There would be increased support to the all-important sectors of housing and auto." Another point could be "Once frustrated by the current EB backlog, most of us go back and either start our own companies or join existing ones, in our native countries. This results in increased competition for American companies and possibly lost revenues". Lastly, "Shipping the job offshore should be discouraged even if that means more non-immigrant visas as people on visa still contribute to the American economy in terms of taxes, spending locally etc. but if a job is shipped off shore that contributes nothing to the economy".

thankgod
07-21-2011, 10:21 AM
I don't think any one would argue that this is a hard time for American economy. IMHO, if we can tie our plight (EB backlog and the large number of people in Limbo because of this) to the welfare of American economy there is a fair chance we would gain a support from committee members. So throwing in things like "X dollars are sent out of the economy every year by GC applicants who are currently on non-immigrant visas. Even though we want to make investments (in things like houses, cars etc.), a lot of us instead decide to send the money back to our countries because of the uncertain future here (at least I did). If we are assured of our residency status here in America, why would we invest in our countries of origin? There would be increased support to the all-important sectors of housing and auto." Another point could be "Once frustrated by the current EB backlog, most of us go back and either start our own companies or join existing ones, in our native countries. This results in increased competition for American companies and possibly lost revenues". Lastly, "Shipping the job offshore should be discouraged even if that means more non-immigrant visas as people on visa still contribute to the American economy in terms of taxes, spending locally etc. but if a job is shipped off shore that contributes nothing to the economy".

100 % true.

I know personally lot of people are waiting on Green Cards to buy homes in USA.

Thats a valid point to add.People will invest here really if they have a GC with out any fear

bpratap
07-21-2011, 02:45 PM
I know alteast 10 Prospective people who would start a company if they are assured of a Residency in US, these people are sending all the money to India where the economy and Business is booming.

if more high skilled professionals have GC, all the Tech Skills and Money would stay in US economy and automatically reducing outsourcing/off shoring the business, which means less money outflow, and more local investment.

ghost
07-21-2011, 04:42 PM
I know alteast 10 Prospective people who would start a company if they are assured of a Residency in US, these people are sending all the money to India where the economy and Business is booming.

if more high skilled professionals have GC, all the Tech Skills and Money would stay in US economy and automatically reducing outsourcing/off shoring the business, which means less money outflow, and more local investment.

I'm sure these folks are testing the waters on their ideas and are just waiting for their GC. Will you be able to personally reach out to them and ask them write a simple story of what they want to do for US and how lack of GC is holding them back? Without giving out a lot of details on their ideas, they can put together some exciting thoughts on their potential businesses and how GC can help, let's say creating 5-10 US jobs, etc. These stories will be extremely helpful.

number30
07-21-2011, 05:10 PM

Readymade answer would be They will have go to EB5 investors.

needhelp!
07-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Congratulations IV! Looking forward to viewing on Tuesday.

krishmunn
07-22-2011, 03:11 PM

Good points. I, for one, is just waiting for a GC. With excellent credit history and decent savings for downpayment, I will probably start searching for house as soon as I can file 485 and close it within a month of getting a GC. If there is no light in sight, I will probably invest in a second house in India in about a year or so

goosetavo
07-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Big congrats to Pascal for being selected and let's all tune in to support him or watch the video on demand afterwards. Congrats to him and CONGRATS TO IV! This is not a coincidence, it is the result of tons of work, making calls, meeting with folks and getting results.

hello
07-26-2011, 10:01 AM
Live
Live Webcast (http://judiciary.senate.gov/resources/webcasts/livewebcast.cfm)

chanduv23
07-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Post updates on this thread so that everything is on one thread

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/2277171-senate-hearing-update.html#post2705253

GCFrenzy
07-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Live Webcast (http://judiciary.senate.gov/resources/webcasts/livewebcast.cfm)

gc_peshwa
07-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the webcast link. We are able to watch now.