PDA

View Full Version : Leaders of tomorrow after Green Card

FinalGC
12-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Dear Friends:

I am motivated to initiate this thread, so that we all who plan to start Corporations after getting our GC's should realize that one day we were all on the other side of the fence. We should never forget the cruelty we faced, the suffering we tolerated and the sacrifices we made during those h1b years.

Most of the owners of DESI (Indian, Chinese, Korean, Pakistani, Mexican etc..) Consulting companies were once on the h1b/GC seeking side of the fence, but once they got their GC's they forgot their past and began doing the same atrocities that their employees did to them when they were in that stage.

So the objective of this thread is to come up with lessons learned, that will help us, FUTURE GC holders to become good leaders, respected CEO's, Directors, CIO's of corporations that we might start or we become part of, so that we are considerate to our future H1b employees (or any employees per say) and treat them with respect.

(1) Be Truthful. Do not lie to your employees.
(2) Establish good communication lines. Keep an open door policy and never belittle any suggestion.
(3) Keep your employees motivated through accolades, bonuses, gifts, or as simple as praises for the work done in front of the organization. If somebody is doing poorly, work with him/her and mentor them to success. Don't ever get jealous of your employee's success.....There gain is your gain.
(4) If you have paycehck issues, please let them know ahead of time. If needed, cut your salary first, rather than cutting theirs. Remember how you felt when your employer cut your salary and same time the employer bought his BMW SUV
(5) During interview stage, make sure you explain all the details of the contract or employment.
(6) If possible, avoid signing a bond. However, if you need to sign a Bond with your employee, please explain all the nitty gritty of it, dont leave it for lawyers to explain. Explain you can only reap profits after so many months of investing in the individual working in the company and if they were to leave earlier, it would be loss for the organization......Please do not get your employees to sign bonds after they have joined your firm, that is illegal, this should be done before you sign the employment contract.
(7) Work towards making the employee feel a part of the company, rather than considering them as a slave. Motivate them and if needed go to their house, call them over for dinner, establish a connection, celebrate their birthdays with employees, do something creative....
(8) When employees leave, make sure they leave on good terms. Don't break any bridges. Keep in touch with them. Remember the world is round, one day you might need their help.
(9) If possible, sponser the expenses of their GC and H1b or reimburse it in some form.

I would like to add more, but I will leave it to the forum to suggest more creative ideas from their experience......Let's become mature leaders for tomorrow.

FinalGC
12-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Maybe I am the idealist. I can surely hope for the best for many of us....:)

chanduv23
12-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Dear Friends:

I am motivated to initiate this thread, so that we all who plan to start Corporations after getting our GC's should realize that one day we were all on the other side of the fence. We should never forget the cruelty we faced, the suffering we tolerated and the sacrifices we made during those h1b years.

Most of the owners of DESI (Indian, Chinese, Korean, Pakistani, Mexican etc..) Consulting companies were once on the h1b/GC seeking side of the fence, but once they got their GC's they forgot their past and began doing the same atrocities that their employees did to them when they were in that stage.

So the objective of this thread is to come up with lessons learned, that will help us, FUTURE GC holders to become good leaders, respected CEO's, Directors, CIO's of corporations that we might start or we become part of, so that we are considerate to our future H1b employees (or any employees per say) and treat them with respect.

(2) Establish good communication lines. Keep an open door policy and never belittle any suggestion.
(3) Keep your employees motivated through accolades, bonuses, gifts, or as simple as praises for the work done in front of the organization. If somebody is doing poorly, work with him/her and mentor them to success. Don't ever get jealous of your employee's success.....There gain is your gain.
(4) If you have paycehck issues, please let them know ahead of time. If needed, cut your salary first, rather than cutting theirs. Remember how you felt when your employer cut your salary and same time the employer bought his BMW SUV
(5) During interview stage, make sure you explain all the details of the contract or employment.
(6) If possible, avoid signing a bond. However, if you need to sign a Bond with your employee, please explain all the nitty gritty of it, dont leave it for lawyers to explain. Explain you can only reap profits after so many months of investing in the individual working in the company and if they were to leave earlier, it would be loss for the organization......Please do not get your employees to sign bonds after they have joined your firm, that is illegal, this should be done before you sign the employment contract.
(7) Work towards making the employee feel a part of the company, rather than considering them as a slave. Motivate them and if needed go to their house, call them over for dinner, establish a connection, celebrate their birthdays with employees, do something creative....
(8) When employees leave, make sure they leave on good terms. Don't break any bridges. Keep in touch with them. Remember the world is round, one day you might need their help.
(9) If possible, sponser the expenses of their GC and H1b or reimburse it in some form.

I would like to add more, but I will leave it to the forum to suggest more creative ideas from their experience......Let's become mature leaders for tomorrow.

It is difficult to find such employers. Employers are greedy. After money. It applies to even the best of companies.

What an employee must know and expect is most important. NEVER trust ANY employer

FinalGC
12-04-2008, 12:38 PM
I agree people are greedy. But this thread is for those who after getting to leadership positions, should recognize that they can change the way business is done.

The anger and frustration that you experience today should be left behind.

Yes, the love of money is indeed the root of all evil, but can we conquer that? Lets not work for money, but let the money work for you. Money will come when we get things right and establish the right relationships. If we understand these principles, we can do great things in life.......You can become from good to great!!

gapala
12-04-2008, 01:14 PM
It is difficult to find such employers. Employers are greedy. After money. It applies to even the best of companies.

What an employee must know and expect is most important. NEVER trust ANY employer

Chandu, It depends on the relationship between employer and employee and expectation of each other. Lot of the times, expectations are not clear between these 2 parties and that leads to disagreements and end up ruin relationship.

I have seen both type of employers. Have been with big indian company in US for few years and, was just a nightmare to work with. I finally said good bye when it was not possible for me to work effectively and efficiently.
Since then, past 6+years I have been working with a small company in US run by indians who, just like us, came here as Students->H1B->GC->employers for past 10 + years.

I tell you, I am extremely happy with them and plan to remain with them as long as possible. It all depends on your relationships. I have seen several threads on Highly skilled professionals blaming the employers for everything. I am not saying that there are no such employers who take advantage of situation, But employee is the one who make that decision to join them in first place and then to stay with them despite of all these winning. Employees can quit if they want right?

How can we avoid this situation?
Set the expectation clear before hand.
Stick to your promise first.
As a professional, see how can you help your employer to grow business. This will help you to climb the ladder as well.
Keep constant touch with employer, quantify and communicate the value that you bring to his organization.
Do not hesitate to make small sacrifices for the good of company, that will definitely pay back in long run. Atleast it did in my case.
Lot of the time, I have seen employees treating their own employers like sh*t and appeasing the clients. This to me is unprofessional and unacceptable. This may provide a short term emotional gains but long run, it screws everything.

Some other times, employee's expectations are too high and they forget the terms and conditions they agreed upon during the joining.

Try to establish professional and good work relationship with employer and I am sure he will take care of you well. Despite of all your efforts, if it becomes difficult, quit and join other employers. If you feel that all employers that you work with are slave masters, Its time for introspection, the problem might be on your side, See what can be changed and improved upon to manage the relationships. I would not severe a relationship unless we land up in crisis and beyond my crisis management abilities. I will see all possible ways to work it out amicably. May be management reference books might help provide some guidance.

mmanurker
12-04-2008, 01:24 PM
FinalGC your thoughts and intensions are good and I hope it stays that way. The reason I say this is bcoz everyone tries to be a robinhood until you have your own industry. I am not tyring to be negative but I feel that this is the truth and I've seen this personally with people I know. So this is just my observation so far.

h1techSlave
12-04-2008, 01:24 PM
I agree with your suggestions. But the question is, do we need to wait until we get GC and start a company to follow these instructions in principle right now?

You may not have GC, but you may already be leading a couple of folks at your work place already. So you can put these principles in practice right away, do not need to wait until the GC comes.

FinalGC
12-05-2008, 10:49 AM
h1techSlave:

You are on the money man.....Why wait till tomorrow, when you can do the good things today. Lets practice to implement such things within our teams, as project managers, team leads, Senior developers etc .....

chanduv23
12-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Chandu, It depends on the relationship between employer and employee and expectation of each other. Lot of the times, expectations are not clear between these 2 parties and that leads to disagreements and end up ruin relationship.

I have seen both type of employers. Have been with big indian company in US for few years and, was just a nightmare to work with. I finally said good bye when it was not possible for me to work effectively and efficiently.
Since then, past 6+years I have been working with a small company in US run by indians who, just like us, came here as Students->H1B->GC->employers for past 10 + years.

I tell you, I am extremely happy with them and plan to remain with them as long as possible. It all depends on your relationships. I have seen several threads on Highly skilled professionals blaming the employers for everything. I am not saying that there are no such employers who take advantage of situation, But employee is the one who make that decision to join them in first place and then to stay with them despite of all these winning. Employees can quit if they want right?

As a professional, see how can you help your employer to grow business. This will help you to climb the ladder as well.
Keep constant touch with employer, quantify and communicate the value that you bring to his organization.
Do not hesitate to make small sacrifices for the good of company, that will definitely pay back in long run. Atleast it did in my case.
Lot of the time, I have seen employees treating their own employers like sh*t and appeasing the clients. This to me is unprofessional and unacceptable. This may provide a short term emotional gains but long run, it screws everything.

Some other times, employee's expectations are too high and they forget the terms and conditions they agreed upon during the joining.

Try to establish professional and good work relationship with employer and I am sure he will take care of you well. Despite of all your efforts, if it becomes difficult, quit and join other employers. If you feel that all employers that you work with are slave masters, Its time for introspection, the problem might be on your side, See what can be changed and improved upon to manage the relationships. I would not severe a relationship unless we land up in crisis and beyond my crisis management abilities. I will see all possible ways to work it out amicably. May be management reference books might help provide some guidance.

This is a general thing. Offcourse there are a lot of good employers - but the days of ethics seem to go away as new generation entrepreneurs are only greedy about money - the Tatas were visionaries and we definitely need to be like them.

natrajs
12-05-2008, 04:07 PM

Its all depends, Once both set the expectations clear, then it will be alright, if not it is always going to be nightmare

chanduv23
12-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Its all depends, Once both set the expectations clear, then it will be alright, if not it is always going to be nightmare

Well - what about resorting to cheating? Can you expect honesty towards employees? If I am not wrong - u or ur friend was a victim of employer cheating on insurance which costed a lot of money and tension and problems?

The OP requests people not to resort to cheating - what I say is - greed/survival has blinded employers these days.

Omm
12-05-2008, 05:13 PM

NEVER, NEVER ...NEVER trust employer. we must make sure we know all the fact, before we join , It's because end of the day its the employee who suffers. Employers can always start a new firm.
You must make judements before joining, there is no point complaiing after. Life is not fair ..every body knows it!

chanduv23
12-05-2008, 05:21 PM
NEVER, NEVER ...NEVER trust employer. we must make sure we know all the fact, before we join , It's because end of the day its the employee who suffers. Employers can always start a new firm.
You must make judements before joining, there is no point complaiing after. Life is not fair ..every body knows it!

Yes, promises can be broken easily. Colors can be changed easily.

Employee is hired for their time and skills, thats it. Most often we find employees who worked in companies for long time seem to have a sense of ownership and think the product they developed is their own baby - which is actually not true - because hey - u r getting old and need more money and benefits whereas there are young folks out there ready to take up your job - which is how an employer thinks

sc3
12-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Dear Friends:

Yeah, do this and get royally bleeped by the employees. I laugh at people who think that the problem with Desi Employers is at the employer side only. The mess is created at both ends, so unless both end play nice (like, that is going to happen), anyone taking such advice should not jump into business at all.

chanduv23
12-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Yeah, do this and get royally bleeped by the employees. I laugh at people who think that the problem with Desi Employers is at the employer side only. The mess is created at both ends, so unless both end play nice (like, that is going to happen), anyone taking such advice should not jump into business at all.

Bodyshop Consulting business is not a "well organized full fledged business". It is based entirely on loopholes and rigid rules of the US immigration system.
The business does not have a concept or business modal. You do not need brains to do this business - all you need to do is to tap into the consulting market and you will see easy money. Once you are used to easy money - you cannot get innovative as you are so used to getting easy money.

Big consulting companies are even worse - they bill you 3 times what they give you and they do not tolerate employees being inbetween projects - they simply fire you if you are not billable.

When one deals with consulting business - he/she has to know that they are on their own - sharpening skills, staying on top of things, self marketing, and negotiating skills are required.

Hinglish
12-06-2008, 02:31 AM

oops

Hinglish
12-06-2008, 02:37 AM
I agree people are greedy. But this thread is for those who after getting to leadership positions, should recognize that they can change the way business is done.

The anger and frustration that you experience today should be left behind.

Yes, the love of money is indeed the root of all evil, but can we conquer that? Lets not work for money, but let the money work for you. Money will come when we get things right and establish the right relationships. If we understand these principles, we can do great things in life.......You can become from good to great!!

Dude you are so much an idealist who gets fracked at the end .... yeah your ideas really sound good ... but you know what ... its a cruel world out there ... the exploitable get exploited and the exploitable "wannabees" get it even more royally ..... wake up from your idealistic passions ...... we are humans and we are materialistic ... the more you realize that ... the quicker you will know that gandhi was wrong

h1techSlave
12-06-2008, 11:18 AM
The trick is to understand and accept that "we are humans and we are materialistic", but still keep yourself from becoming materialistic. At least understand that there are things beyond materialism alone.

Dude you are so much an idealist who gets fracked at the end .... yeah your ideas really sound good ... but you know what ... its a cruel world out there ... the exploitable get exploited and the exploitable "wannabees" get it even more royally ..... wake up from your idealistic passions ...... we are humans and we are materialistic ... the more you realize that ... the quicker you will know that gandhi was wrong