PDA

View Full Version : Should we Renew H1B after filing 485

sanz
06-24-2011, 02:38 PM
I am currently on H1B although I had filed for the 485 as I havent added my spouse to the green card application. Since my current H1B is expiring this October, my lawyer is stating that we need to renew the H1B as a fallback to the pending Green card application.
Just wondering if anyone else is facing the same thing.

Oct007
06-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Are you not current yet?

Since your are EB2 with PD March 07, hopefully by October you will be current, get your Green Card and will be able to file 485 for your wife. If so you may choose not to file for your extension.

If you are still waiting, at that time, for your approval, you should renew your H1B as a backup for peace of mind, especially if you are not planning to use your EAD to switch jobs in near future.

willIWill
06-24-2011, 03:04 PM
I am currently on H1B although I had filed for the 485 as I havent added my spouse to the green card application. Since my current H1B is expiring this October, my lawyer is stating that we need to renew the H1B as a fallback to the pending Green card application.
Just wondering if anyone else is facing the same thing.

If you and your spouse do not need travel in the next 6 months. Then you don't need it. Based on your PD believe your spouse can file his/her 485 in July or August, then wait for the EAD/AP. File your EAD/AP asap if you haven't done so and keep it handy.

If you can use your EAD and spouse already has 485 filed then no need of continuing with H1. H1/H4 makes more sense to the lawyers because it creates more fees/revenue for them both from you(h4) and your employer(h1). For EAD/AP you can do it alone over the internet. You do the math!