PDA

View Full Version : Parents visitor visa

rbmaya
06-14-2011, 01:15 PM
I have been trying to get a visitor's visa for my parents from past 5 years. this year it was declined for the 5th time at the Mumbai consulate. I even had a Senator's letter for them to carry but the consulate officer did not even look at it. My parents have tried going through a reputed travel agency, on thier own and this time with a senator's letter. no success.

I was on H1B status until a week ago, now I am a GC holder. I would like them to apply again next year. they have enough property back in India but off course nobody ever checks any documents. my younger brother is also in US and we are the only 2 kids. both my parents are retired.

I am looking for some suggestions that would strengthen their case.
or is it just a hopeless case now? can they go to another consulate?

Thanks

krishmunn
06-14-2011, 03:49 PM
You can try this ..... have them apply visa to some other western country (UK, France etc) and have them visit that country for a few days and return. After that apply US visa. There is no guarantee but it is likely that it will work

vishwak
06-14-2011, 05:59 PM
i agree with previous post.

You can try that sending them to UK, Singapore etc as you have plans to send them after 1 years.

boldm28
09-09-2011, 10:57 AM
My case

first try 2003 - both parents got rejected -VO did not even look at the paper
Second try 2007 -- just my dad -- approved
third try 2011 -- my mom -- rejected -- VO did not even look at the paper

sk76012w
09-09-2011, 12:47 PM
There is absolutely no rhyme or reason as to why some people don't get visa, whatever category it is. My wife had to try 4 times within a year to get F1 visa. That is, in spite of a good university and 100% GA. The fact that I was already here when she applied might have made it more difficult. But, who knows! Similarly, the facts that your parents are retired and both the kids are here might be causing the difficulty. There again, who knows! But, I would suggest that they should not give up, if they really want to visit the US. There are no foolproof solutions to this problem. May be they can try from another consulate. But I don't know whether it is possible. May be they have to move to that city/region. These are all time consuming and expensive solutions. It depends how serious you and they are in them visiting the US. Keep trying and leave the rest to God!

bailoor
01-05-2012, 08:24 PM
RBMaya,

Me and my brother are in US. In 2007(both were on H-1B), I applied for my parents tourist visa. Their passport was fresh and they had not traveled any other country before applying for their US visa. Both got visa for 10 yrs.

DS-156 application is filed and then they get an appointment date for personal visit to meet the US consulate officer. Before the visit, the US consulate staff members reviews the DS-156 application data and take initial decision(either to give visa or not along with the reasons). When the Consulate officer interviews the candidate, they override the earlier decision. The questions asked by the consulate officer and the answer provided by your parents are very crucial.

Check with your parents about the questions asked and what was their answers. Let them behave as if they are NOT interested to go, but due to son's repeated requests, they are going for quick visit to celebrate the grandchild's birthday etc. The more discomfort they show going to US, the chances of approval is high.

Note: The invitation letter, senator letter, employer letter, Bank Balance details, pay slip etc are all secondary documents. The decision is NOT taken based on any of these documents.

Keep trying. Good Luck.

smuggymba
01-06-2012, 09:23 AM
I have been trying to get a visitor's visa for my parents from past 5 years. this year it was declined for the 5th time at the Mumbai consulate. I even had a Senator's letter for them to carry but the consulate officer did not even look at it. My parents have tried going through a reputed travel agency, on thier own and this time with a senator's letter. no success.

I was on H1B status until a week ago, now I am a GC holder. I would like them to apply again next year. they have enough property back in India but off course nobody ever checks any documents. my younger brother is also in US and we are the only 2 kids. both my parents are retired.

I am looking for some suggestions that would strengthen their case.
or is it just a hopeless case now? can they go to another consulate?

Thanks

The fact that both kids are in the US is the reason...VO thinks there are no ties to the home country.

Anyway, apply visa for your mom during a summer visit/housewarming/kid's birthday and see how it goes. If yo u get the visa, make sure your mon travels to US for a couple of months. Don't apply for your parents together.

sac-r-ten
01-06-2012, 10:03 AM
i have heard so many tourist visa denials recently. guess they don't want anybody coming to this great land anymore. be it H,B,J,K or any other visa. they are going to fix this economy without foreigners....

dusnt_mata
01-06-2012, 01:14 PM
My MIL(widow)'s visitor visa was denied twice and i still sent her again within a month and got the visa for multiple entry 10 years. NOTHING CHANGED, between 1st 2 times and 3rd one. When my MIL tried to show the additional documents we prepared the third time, the moron there said 'no need' and just gave the visa. WTF why was it denied twice? From my experience i don't see any reason other than Squeezing some money for the denials. :mad: