PDA

View Full Version : Can a h-1 holder be a registered agent for LLC?

DDash
11-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Friends,

I have a GC and I am planning to start a company. I am going through legalzoom and they mention that I have to nominate a registered agent. I am in CA and would like to incorporate in SC (to take advantage of low taxes). My brother lives in SC and he is on H-1. Now the question is, can he be my registered agent? Will this jeopardize his status in any way? Please let me know if it is okay to be a registered agent while on H-1. He will not work for my company. He will only be an agent to forward the mails.

Thanks in advance.

rajpatelemail
11-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Another shell company to suck the blood by sponsoring H1 ...

DDash
11-08-2008, 12:13 AM

Would love to see a rule in IV that will ban someone with 5 red s

ivjobs
11-08-2008, 12:34 PM

Have seen your messages on other threads ranting against any post that even mentions about starting a company. think you got pissed off a lot with H1B employers...

You need to understand that all the companies that people want to start may not be IT Consulting companies, the kind of companies you have got experience with..

Eveready
11-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Would this not be considered another job? If so he will need another H1 to cover this. Guess you can sponsor for the other H1. This is just what i think and I could be wrong.:)

reddog
11-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Friends,

I have a GC and I am planning to start a company. I am going through legalzoom and they mention that I have to nominate a registered agent. I am in CA and would like to incorporate in SC (to take advantage of low taxes). My brother lives in SC and he is on H-1. Now the question is, can he be my registered agent? Will this jeopardize his status in any way? Please let me know if it is okay to be a registered agent while on H-1. He will not work for my company. He will only be an agent to forward the mails.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, he can. and that should not jeopardize his situation if you can prove that he is just an investing partner in the LLC,
and if scrutinized, needs to be proved that he is just a sleeping partner.
Every state has their own LLC rules and regulations and you should get your answers from the States Corporations' website.
Also remember that your Brother will also have to file K-1, so IRS and USCIS does know that your brother is a member of an LLC.
However for H1Bs, LLCs are better comparing to S corps.

fittan
11-09-2008, 07:50 PM
DDash, you can start a company and/or be a registered agent while on H1B. However, you can only be a sleeping partner and cannot receive active income. If both of you are on H1B, how do you convince the immigration in case of an audit that you're not actively involved in the daily operation? Someone has to work and get paid right? In such event, both your H1B status may be jeopardise.

As for rajpatelemail...get a life.

rajpatelemail
11-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Looks like every body desi employer is really sweet and good.
Pls let me know , so that i can switch my h1...

Because i am with only one employer so far for last 3 years, and not good.

radhay
11-10-2008, 11:56 AM
A registered agent doesn't need to do much work. They usually forward the mails you receive from State (usually 1 or 2 per year) and some will notify you of filing deadlines. You can pay a fee of < 100 dollars per year to use any company(incorportate.com, intuit etc) to do that for you.

number30
07-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Friends,

He will only be an agent to forward the mails.

that is an unauthorized work. Does not have H1 for this job.