PDA

View Full Version : Travel experience through Frankfurt with AP

jethro11
06-09-2011, 11:58 AM
All,
I just got back on June 7th, 2011 on Lufthansa with an AP and no transit visa. My route was Bangalore-Frankfurt-Newark and nobody asked me for the transit visa, although they did check my AP before boarding at Bangalore and also at Frankfurt airport. Thanks to all forum members for their replies which gave me the courage to travel without a transit visa. Also I am glad I did not waste any time and money on a transit visa which is a slap in the face to legitimate travelers.
Moderators - It would be a good idea to create a sticky for all European airports (Transit visa needed or not with AP) so that people can use that information for future travel. From what I've heard, Heathrow requires a transit visa and won't accept an AP. Any board members with experiences at other European airports?

voicerj
06-09-2011, 12:02 PM
All,
Moderators - It would be a good idea to create a sticky for all European airports (Transit visa needed or not with AP) so that people can use that information for future travel.

This is just a great idea.
Why don't we start it right away with your experience.

I will create a new thread and start updating it.

ram04
06-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Thank you very much for updated info. This is so relieving info for me

My dependents are traveling in July 1 st week and I am got different answers from German embassy, Lufthansa. None of them are consistent or clear.

All,
I just got back on June 7th, 2011 on Lufthansa with an AP and no transit visa. My route was Bangalore-Frankfurt-Newark and nobody asked me for the transit visa, although they did check my AP before boarding at Bangalore and also at Frankfurt airport. Thanks to all forum members for their replies which gave me the courage to travel without a transit visa. Also I am glad I did not waste any time and money on a transit visa which is a slap in the face to legitimate travelers.
Moderators - It would be a good idea to create a sticky for all European airports (Transit visa needed or not with AP) so that people can use that information for future travel. From what I've heard, Heathrow requires a transit visa and won't accept an AP. Any board members with experiences at other European airports?

jethro11
06-09-2011, 12:59 PM
voicerj,
Let me know if I can contribute to this thread, also will this stay at the top of the forum posts? The more forum members who add to this thread, the better. One thing I've learned is to trust forum members who have personal experience, because we often get conflicting information from airlines/consulates/travel agents etc.

voicerj
06-09-2011, 01:02 PM
voicerj,
Let me know if I can contribute to this thread, also will this stay at the top of the forum posts? The more forum members who add to this thread, the better. One thing I've learned is to trust forum members who have personal experience, because we often get conflicting information from airlines/consulates/travel agents etc.

I agree with you.

Presently it is not a sticky thread but we can request moderators to make it sticky. I will request moderators to make it sticky.

redindian
08-29-2011, 08:01 PM
You maybe lucky - the German Counslate specifically states this:

Please note that the advance parole and the approval notice (I-797) are not valid documents for visa free airport transit!

German Missions in the United States - Visa Fees (http://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/en/05__Legal/02__Directory__Services/01__Visa/__Visa__Fee.html)

bang
08-30-2011, 12:05 AM
I have traveled several times since i got my AP (may be 3 - 4 times) from past couple of years. Visa is not required at all. Just take it easy and travel ......

thescadaman
08-30-2011, 08:17 AM
Did anyone travel using KLM and had Advance Parole as their primary entry document?

How was your experience? Did they ask for a Transit visa?

kandhu
08-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Thanks for posting your experience.
German Airport Transit visa is one of the most confusing and contradicting...I guess!
As redindian noted the information in their website clearly says that "AP" is not a valid document for Germany and Airport Transit visa is required.

But I understand that few persons have travelled through Germany without the Transit visa.

I am travelling to India in Lufthansa in Mid Sep. I am very confused!
Additionally German Consulate in Boston does NOT accept walk-ins anymore and need an appointment. Their appointments are booked through second week of Sep.

This is really ridiculous that we are spending so much time, money and energy for a 3to4 hours of Airport Transit.

I know lot of posters in other similar threads has recommended avoiding travelling through countries that mandates Transit Visa.
But I did not have lot of options for a one stop flight from Boston to Chennai. Now feeling the pain!

I have traveled several times since i got my AP (may be 3 - 4 times) from past couple of years. Visa is not required at all. Just take it easy and travel ......

sam_hoosier
08-30-2011, 02:42 PM
Send an e-mail to the consulate with jurisdiction over your state, and carry the letter with you to show at time of transit through Frankfurt.

redindian
08-31-2011, 07:22 PM
looks like you need to APPLY in person for German Transit Visa

German Missions in the United States - Airport Transit (http://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/en/05__Legal/02__Directory__Services/01__Visa/__Transit__Visa.html)
Where and how to apply?
German consular services are available through its Embassy in Washington and Consulates in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York and San Francisco.

Except for rare instances, you have to submit your application in person. Click below to find out where to submit your application and to learn about any specific application procedures. Due to local particularities handling and processing may vary slightly among the German missions involved.
--------------------------------

and you CANNOT apply for it from India!
Germany Visa (http://www.vfs-germany.co.in/south/faqs.aspx)
Q:8- I am an Indian citizen living abroad. Do I have to apply in India ?
NO , It is mandatory to apply in the country of your residence (work or studies).

---

better boycott Luftansa, AirFrance & BA