PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Travel -- Havenot received Physical card yet

pkv
06-06-2011, 01:25 PM
All,
I asked this question in "Ask a Lawyer for Free" section, but re-posting it here because of urgency. I'm sure some of us may have gone thru this and can share experience.

I received my Green Card approval email on 06/04 (last Friday), but haven't received Physical card yet.

I've to travel tonight or tomorrow out of country for an emergency.
Not sure how would I get back to USA?

I've a valid H1B stamp in my Passport, but i guess I'm not in H1B status anymore because of Green card approval.

prasadn
06-06-2011, 02:55 PM
All,
I asked this question in "Ask a Lawyer for Free" section, but re-posting it here because of urgency. I'm sure some of us may have gone thru this and can share experience.

I received my Green Card approval email on 06/04 (last Friday), but haven't received Physical card yet.

I've to travel tonight or tomorrow out of country for an emergency.
Not sure how would I get back to USA?

I've a valid H1B stamp in my Passport, but i guess I'm not in H1B status anymore because of Green card approval.

I was in a similar situation last year in July. I had received my GC approval notice, but not the physical card. As per my attorney, when I-485 is approved, you can travel back on AP ONLY if you are outside the country at the time of approval. DO NOT enter using your H-1B visa as this will amount to abandonment of PR status.

The way to go about this is to go to the nearest USCIS office with your approval notice and get the I-551 stamp on your passport. On arrival back to US, you will be sent to secondary inspection to verify your PR status. If you have any questions, please contact me directly.

indo_obama
06-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Take an Infopass and get it stamped on your passport