PDA

View Full Version : Visitor visa extension for my mother in law-any experience?

willgetgc2005
11-01-2008, 03:10 PM
I have a question about my Mother in laws' visit to the USA.She has a 10 year multi entry tourist visa (B1, validity from 2005 to 2015) to the US and she has visited the US 3 times so far and the dates are as follows

February 18, 2006 to August 16, 2006 (visited her sons family in East)
July 8, 2007 to January 7, 2008 (stayed with us)
August 2, 2008 to February 01, 2009 (stayed with us)

She is currently on her 3rd visit to the USA and is living with us. Her departure date is January 2009. On her visit this time, at the port of entry (LAX) she was asked by the Immigration officer if she was visiting USA so often because of her grand child. She said yes and the immigration officer stamped her a 6 month stay and also told her to be careful of future visits so often to the United States. My mother in law is a widow and both her children live in the US as permanent residents.

Our baby recently had a health issue and was hospitalized. But due to all this with my wife and I both working, my wife feels it would be good if we could get my mother in law an extension of stay (perhaps 3months plus beyond January 2009)till my wife can complete her internship (which is time bound). My mother in laws’ son lives in the east coast and he is a permanent resident in the USA.

I do not want to jeopardize her ability to visit the US in future due to an extension. So the question are:

Will a request for extension be approved by USCIS?
Will this jeopardize her chances of coming to the US in future?
IF she gets an extension this time, what will be the cooling off period for her to come to the US next time
How long does it take for USCIS to process a request for extension and what is the processing fee

Your response is greatly appreciated.

lp2007
11-01-2008, 06:31 PM
I think she should not have any problem with her future visits.

My mother visits every year and spends 6 months with us since the last 6 yrs and never had an issue. She extended her stay one time.

One of my friends mother was given a 3 month stamp one yr during b'coz she had extended her previous visit and stayed 3 months already in the same year. So the officer told her she could only stay for 6 months in any given yr, but later she extended and stayed longer and has visited US 2 times after that without any issues.

USCIS takes between 6 weeks to <nn> weeks to process the request.

One important thing you want to take care is, U need to send original i-94 card while requesting extension of stay and when u leave i-94 has to be returned at the airport. If your mom-in-law leaves before the application is approved, you want to be sure to save the extention documnets and mail the i-94 card back. And make sure to carry the extension approvals next time she travels so there is no confusion about unauthorized over stay. This happened with my mom. We received her approval after she had already left. So I mailed her approval to her prior to her next visit and she was fine.

I hope this helps.

bombaysardar
11-01-2008, 07:32 PM
I know of a old couple who put in their appl to extend, but it took an inordinate amount of time. They left the country even before the appl was approved several months later. When it came to visa renewal time in chennai, they got denied several times. Just my 2 cents

greencard_fever
11-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Hi willgetgc2005,

I am in same position you are in..i have applied for an extension for my mother in law for another 6 months ...it's been 5 months still waiting for approval...but i took a chance and made my mothe in-law stay back based on pending approval...its your call how bad you need your monther in-law's help during your daughter's treatment..if possible take the letter form doctors office that your daughter is sick and you need her help in this hard times and attach this letter with you extension application.. this will help for extension..this is what i did..

looivy
11-02-2008, 01:59 PM
If this is a possible solution, have your Mother-in-Law visit Canada temporarily for a few day and have her come back to US. I am just floating this idea for discussuion.

reddog
11-03-2008, 11:43 AM
I would be very cautious about her overstayin without getting the extension in hand.
I would still not do it unless it is a desperate situation, and there is absolutely no other way of handling it.
The overstay would definitely show up the next time she comes back in, ie, next time if the officer is good, he lets her in and everything is good.
If the officer is just doing his duty, he will not.
The officer will definitely grill her about her overstay, and if she is able to convince him about the hospital stay(i would keep records of the hospital stay), he can give her a short term visa.
And your mom-in-law mentioning the baby when she entered does not help at all.
Overstay is still handled in an adhoc fashion at the airport counters.
But I know of a friends mother who overstayed(did not apply extension) and was sent back from the airport next time she tried to come back(they even got a letter from the local congressman).

syedajmal
11-03-2008, 12:17 PM
If this is a possible solution, have your Mother-in-Law visit Canada temporarily for a few day and have her come back to US. I am just floating this idea for discussuion.

Visiting Canada doesn't help to extend the visa stamp. My in-laws tried it in August.

syedajmal
11-03-2008, 12:21 PM
I know of a old couple who put in their appl to extend, but it took an inordinate amount of time. They left the country even before the appl was approved several months later. When it came to visa renewal time in chennai, they got denied several times. Just my 2 cents

Once she got 2 month stamped at POE and I applied for her extn. But she left even before they even could process the application. As per my attroney's suggestion, we sent a letter to USCIS requesting to withdraw the petition stating that she had to leave to care of settling the sale of her house (you can give some reason, but the point is to withdraw the petition) USCIS will send you a notice confirming your withdrawal and make sure you keep that in record so that your MIL can show in case of questions that may arise in future.

HTH, good luck

milind70
11-03-2008, 01:54 PM
From first hand experiences of fellow friends and collegues who tried to extend the visitors visa for their parents or their in laws ,99 percent of the time they have been denied reentry . I personally know a case where a friends mother in law successfully extended her stay for another 3 months after initial grant of 6 months. After that vist she was denied reentry for 3 times atleast that i know of. One thing here is to note that whether to grant entry or not is in the hands of the IO at POE. By extending your stay plants seeds of doubts about overstay. Also medical reasons and taking care of child are not considered strong reason for extension unless the medical condition is very serious

Dipika
11-03-2008, 02:21 PM
i have not done visa extention for my mother in law, but i had asked lawyer about it when last year my mother in law was here.
Lawyer said it's possible to get extention. and they need traveler's check of $5K on my mother in law name to send for extention, which proves she has enough money to stay and travel further in USA.
i had not followed it, but this time i'm going to do it when my in laws visit again.
I would say it would be batter to go through lawyer as they have different tricks to get it faster and easily.

pmamp
11-03-2008, 03:12 PM
I know approval for extension vastly depends on the justification or reason for extended stay. As said here... taking care of grand kids is not one of the favorable reason. That seem to tick IO off. So, just keep in mind this issue while you apply for her extension.