PDA

View Full Version : What is the visa type for maid to come to USA??

here_d
10-24-2008, 03:41 PM
I was really afraid to ask this question as people here don't like different type of question, then also i thought to take a chance.
If you are a working couple with kids, you know the value of having a maid here.
So I am planning to get a maid from india.
Can she apply for b1 visa (with sponsorship letter from me).
Can I specify the actual reason(help with child care) for visa or I just have to mention "visiting purpose"??
I am fine with her traveling to india every 6 months.
I came here on H1 and working on EAD(dependent with 485 pending).
Thanks in advance.

Green.Tech
10-24-2008, 03:52 PM
I was really afraid to ask this question as people here don't like different type of question, then also i thought to take a chance.
If you are a working couple with kids, you know the value of having a maid here.
Can I specify the actual reason(help with child care) for visa or I just have to mention "visiting purpose"??
Thanks in advance.

1) B1 visa person cannot work.

2) If you apply to get a maid here with the "child care" reason: first, I don't know what visa you will apply for since B-1 is for visitors and second, you will be asked "why can't you seek a maid in US".

3) I personally know of few friends whose mothers or mother-in-laws were denied B-1 visas when they mentioned that they are going to US to take care of their daughters or daughter-in-laws who are pregnant. The reason cited was: Why can't your kids arrange for domestic help in US.

Hope this helps some.

Ramba
10-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks in advance.

I think it is H2B.

H-2B classification applies to temporary or seasonal nonagricultural workers. This classification requires a temporary labor certification issued by the Secretary of Labor (66,000);

reddog
10-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks in advance.

One of the reasons why I am in the US is dignity of labor and your types want that same Indian society to be built in the US.

I will tell you why you thought no one would like your question, bcos, your query lacks in morality and you know it. you had guilt.

"I am fine with her travelling to India every 6 months". Is she bonded labor that you are OK to send her to India.

Do you know that you can get a nanny here in the US for 200-300 bucks a week? Or send your kids to Home day cares? Or efficiently run Church day cares? and even proffesionally run day cares.
there are lots of indian ladies on family based GCs/citizenship who might be able to help you out.
google for nanny and you will get nanny matchin service sites. look up on craigslist. post for a 'nanny wanted' at your Indian store. and there are nannies for children with special needs too, no i aint talkin about you.

No, you want a maid from India cos your wife cribs about how she has to do everything while you sit on the sofa and do not even move at your childs cry. you want a maid who does all the household chores for 100$ a month, well, you will give 500, wont you?
You know she will not question anything that you demand. if you as an educated dude are not able to say NO to any of your clients requirements, how can she. shes not even educated enough. she will cook, clean, take care of the kids and is cheap.

lol, let me know if you are successful, i might try it too. peace out.

ItIsNotFunny
10-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks in advance.

Not possible. There is a special requirement for child care taker depending on your state. You better hire someone locally. Typically in NJ, someone is available as fulltime nanny for about $1500 per month.

2BeeNot2Bee
10-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Thanks in advance.

There was a thread somewhere, where the IV member wanted to import a bitch from India. Check it out. I guess the visa rules are the same. You need a large container though.

tabletpc
10-24-2008, 04:24 PM
Well said RedDog...!!!!:D:D

Here d....don't even think of brining a maid from india. It won't workout as you will be taking away jobs for nanny's in US.

One of the reasons why I am in the US is dignity of labor and your types want that same Indian society to be built in the US.

I will tell you why you thought no one would like your question, bcos, your query lacks in morality and you know it. you had guilt.

"I am fine with her travelling to India every 6 months". Is she bonded labor that you are OK to send her to India.

Do you know that you can get a nanny here in the US for 200-300 bucks a week? Or send your kids to Home day cares? Or efficiently run Church day cares? and even proffesionally run day cares.
there are lots of indian ladies on family based GCs/citizenship who might be able to help you out.
google for nanny and you will get nanny matchin service sites. look up on craigslist. post for a 'nanny wanted' at your Indian store. and there are nannies for children with special needs too, no i aint talkin about you.

No, you want a maid from India cos your wife cribs about how she has to do everything while your sorry a** sits on the sofa and does not even move at your childs cry. you want a maid who does all the household chores for 100$ a month, well, you will give 500, wont you?
You know she will not question anything that you demand. if you as an educated dude are not able to say NO to any of your clients requirements, how can she. shes not even educated enough. she will cook, clean, take care of the kids and is cheap.

Ramba
10-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Here is a good material to read..If someone plan to do, I am also interested.

http://www.lexisnexis.com/practiceareas/immigration/pdfs/web885.pdf

fall2004us
10-24-2008, 04:43 PM

No, you want a maid from India cos your wife cribs about how she has to do everything while you sit on the sofa and do not even move at your childs cry. you want a maid who does all the household chores for 100$ a month, well, you will give 500, wont you?

well said !!!!!:D
If both of you guys are working, hiring a nanny in the US wouldnt hurt !!!

sidbee
10-24-2008, 05:04 PM

Very Well Said....

optimystic
10-24-2008, 05:07 PM
3) I personally know of few friends whose mothers or mother-in-laws were denied B-1 visas when they mentioned that they are going to US to take care of their daughters or daughter-in-laws who are pregnant. The reason cited was: Why can't your kids arrange for domestic help in US.

I think other posters have dealt with the original subject in all possible angles already. So let me see if I can take a little diversion.

I just wanted to comment on this aspect of "parents wishing to help daughters thru pregnancy" and IO officers having issue with that. I have heard this problem mentioned in numerous instances. And also personally had to coach my parents to answer politically correctly.

But, How can the IO's say that the pregnant daughters can hire domestic help...Didn't they have wives who needed much needed moral support, age old wisdom, loving care that only mothers can provide to daughters when they are especially vulnerable emotionally as well as physically. What about daughters who want their mothers to be present during labour. Is that not a humane enough reason to allow a "Visitor Visa" ???

In what way can the IOs morally combine the two completely different issues of "domestic help" versus "The need for Parental presence/affection for Emotional help and guidance" and the "Emotional bonding time that a grandmother needs to bond with her first grand child" !!! I always seethe with rage whenever I hear about IOs denying parental visit to help out during pregnancy...The IOs always distort the 'help out' aspect with 'domestic/nanny help' and nothing else. Whereas almost always its much more than a mere 'nanny help'.

minimalist
10-24-2008, 05:16 PM
In what way can the IOs morally combine the two completely different issues of "domestic help" versus "The need for Parental presence/affection for Emotional help and guidance" and the "Emotional bonding time that a grandmother needs to bond with her first grand child" !!! I always seethe with rage whenever I hear about IOs denying parental visit to help out during pregnancy...The IOs always distort the 'help out' aspect with 'domestic/nanny help' and nothing else. Whereas almost always its much more than a mere 'nanny help'.
I totally agree with your sentiment but your argument is missing the social context of the country your are seeking a visa to. Here people are mostly independent and after an age neither the parents care for their children nor the children want/seek their parents help.(It would apply to 90% of the cases)
If you look at the current economic crisis, one common thread to most troubled stories is that they are single parents with no help from any one including their parents.
IO being insensitive to the realities of other societies is no surprise. As a Visa seeker we need to adjust to answer in a politically correct way.

My 2 cents.

Green.Tech
10-24-2008, 05:17 PM
I think other posters have dealt with the original subject in all possible angles already. So let me see if I can take a little diversion.

I just wanted to comment on this aspect of "parents wishing to help daughters thru pregnancy" and IO officers having issue with that. I have heard this problem mentioned in numerous instances. And also personally had to coach my parents to answer politically correctly.

But, How can the IO's say that the pregnant daughters can hire domestic help...Didn't they have wives who needed much needed moral support, age old wisdom, loving care that only mothers can provide to daughters when they are especially vulnerable emotionally as well as physically. What about daughters who want their mothers to be present during labour. Is that not a humane enough reason to allow a "Visitor Visa" ???

I totally agree with you friend. The IO's somehow think in this way: The mother is taking the job away from a US nanny. Although like you said the mother is providing the much more than nanny help. Then again, how can we expect immigration to have a humane angle.

NKR
10-24-2008, 05:38 PM
I totally agree with your sentiment but your argument is missing the social context of the country your are seeking a visa to. Here people are mostly independent and after an age neither the parents care for their children nor the children want/seek their parents help.(It would apply to 90% of the cases)
If you look at the current economic crisis, one common thread to most troubled stories is that they are single parents with no help from any one including their parents.
IO being insensitive to the realities of other societies is no surprise. As a Visa seeker we need to adjust to answer in a politically correct way.

My 2 cents..

I think you took his post out of context. optimystic is right to some extent.

Take my case, for both my parents and to my wife’s mom, our child was the first grand child. We did not want them to miss the moment. We got them here, not for baby sitting, not for child care… They went back without the regrets of not being able to see the new born and with wonderful memories they can cherish for the rest of their lives. It would have been easy for me to hire a nanny here than to sponsor three people’s visit, but I am glad I did. IO’s should understand this.

I do not approve of bringing a maid from India to take care of kids, as red-dog said there are day cares, nannies and good church schools here for that

here_d
10-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Oh come on!!!
When you are working on H1 here instead of india because you can earn better and when you are taking away job from american citizen....how can you argue like this?
I have many reasons for bringing nanny here....
1) I want a person who is making 100 $ per month to earn more (atleast 1000 $ per month ...right??)
2) If she would come here, she can support her family and some day her boy can come here for study or something....
3) I want somebody who understands my culture and the way i want to raise my kid.
4) I can get somebody from new jersy but mostly i would get illegal migrant...which i am not comfortable with.

Apart from my personal reasons, one simple economic rule, if you can get cheap labor, you don't want to spend more....that's why cos hiring you instead of American citizen,and outsourcing working great....

I really like your theory of "husband with cribbing wife", but unfortunately i m the wife, who is working 40+ hrs with fortune 500 company and planning to start her own company, whose husband keeps travelling (consulting) as he cann't change his job until GC.
With all odds working against me, I want peace of mind that my kid is in the safe hand, He is not sent back from certified day care only because he is sick...

And if i tell the story of the femal whom I wants to bring here....you would start crying...:-)....

Anyways,
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

minimalist
10-24-2008, 05:53 PM
I think you took his post out of context. optimystic is right to some extent.

Take my case, for both my parents and to my wife’s mom, our child was the first grand child. We did not want them to miss the moment. We got them here, not for baby sitting, not for child care… They went back without the regrets of not being able to see the new born and with wonderful memories they can cherish for the rest of their lives. It would have been easy for me to hire a nanny here than to sponsor three people’s visit, but I am glad I did. IO’s should understand this.

I do not approve of bringing a maid from India to take care of kids, as red-dog said there are day cares, nannies and good church schools here for that
I am agreeing with your reasoning on why you brought your parents and in-laws. For me it is easy to understand your reasons given that I am also from India and familiar with the relationship culture.
I am not agreeing with your statement "IOs should understand that". Parents/Inlaws need to understand the reality and adjust their answers to be politically correct that would get the job done. The IO is not going to say " Wow that's so nice. You have a very good family bonding." and give them the Visa. He will reject them. I am not saying he is right. But that is the reality.

optimystic
10-24-2008, 06:15 PM
I am agreeing with your reasoning on why you brought your parents and in-laws. For me it is easy to understand your reasons given that I am also from India and familiar with the relationship culture.
I am not agreeing with your statement "IOs should understand that". Parents/Inlaws need to understand the reality and adjust their answers to be politically correct that would get the job done. The IO is not going to say " Wow that's so nice. You have a very good family bonding." and give them the Visa. He will reject them. I am not saying he is right. But that is the reality.

I think its a communication issue from our side and also to a large extent the insensitivity and prejudiced attitude towards Indians by IO officers in Indian consulates. And perception problems too.

Our parents need to communicate clearly that they want to visit because they want to be present during delivery of their daughter and to emotionally support their daughter thru labor and bond with their grand child. Say exactly that and nothing else. No mention of 'help' of any sort. I think this would be the closest politically correct way of describing the true (in atleast 75% cases) reason for visit.

In my opinion , whatever culture you are in, American, European, Indian or other Asian culture, I am assuming this would be interpreted as a valid enough reason, with no other strings attached, "for a mother to visit her daughter" . If the IO's fail to see it that way, and believe "vacationing" is a more valid reason, then there is a fundamental problem with their culture/upbringing/attitude. The problem is most of our parents are not so eloquent/shrewd nor do they have the politically correct tongue to express this properly. And they blurt out 'help'.

And despite this political correctness we still don't know if the IO would treat this as a valid justification for "Visitor Visa" . They are conditioned to generalize a whole culture based on the attitudes of a few non-genuine applicants that they may have encountered.

But alas, I don't think none of us here are brave enough to ask our parents to try it out next time :) . So we will just have to continue to tell what "they want to hear" :) What a pity and stupidity!

surabhi
10-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks in advance.

Since no one actually provided the answer, I will attempt.

What you are looking for is Au Pair from India. This is the program available to get nannys for a period of 12 months, extensible up to 24 months. This may or may not be practical to you since there are several conditions to be met.

Ofcourse I am not talking from experience. Just read about this in past and remembered.

Google for Au pair India and look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au_pair

reddog
10-24-2008, 06:50 PM
My being on H1 has nothing to do with you tryin to bring a Nanny, I am not on a Nanny visa or am I? Can i be your nanny at $65 an hour? jeez.
If you are trying to bring a Nanny to pay her $1000 a month plus airfare and 6 months of vacation and admit her to a local college for education and groundwork with your lawyer to complete the process, go ahead and do it.
I would still say it would be illegal. or you can try to ger borderline legal.

1) If you want to help that person, sponsor her or her childrens education. You are not helping anyone by sponsoring an underpaid worker. How would you feel, if your employer asks you to work for $20K a year just cos you did not have any other opportunity?
2) Sponsor the kid, do some good work. without exploitation.
3) If you want someone to understand your culture, you belong where your culture belongs, right in the very mother-land where you come from, cultures dont get exported out.
4) What you are tryin to do is illegal too, more illegal than the so called illegal you are talking about.

India is a country of a billion people, and you are trying to tell me the story of a downtrodden or a poor soul. and what are you trying to do to help?
Exploit the situation.

If your kid gets sent back from the day-care bcos he sneezes, hire a nanny.
She will take care of the kid at home, and believe me, nannies do moderate house work too, alojng with taking care of the sneezing kid, also does dishes, does the laundry and stuff.

Let me introduce you to a term called PPP(purchasing power parity) google it and see why you should not expect to earn something and spend something else.

Believe me, many of us are in the same situation as you are and everyone of us know of some poor person in india who is deperately in need. And we want a solution too, but the one you want, is wrong..

Oh come on!!!
When you are working on H1 here instead of india because you can earn better and when you are taking away job from american citizen....how can you argue like this?
1) I want a person who is making 100 $ per month to earn more (atleast 1000 $ per month ...right??)

2) If she would come here, she can support her family and some day her boy can come here for study or something....

3) I want somebody who understands my culture and the way i want to raise my kid.

4) I can get somebody from new jersy but mostly i would get illegal migrant...which i am not comfortable with.

Apart from my personal reasons, one simple economic rule, if you can get cheap labor, you don't want to spend more....that's why cos hiring you instead of American citizen,and outsourcing working great....

I really like your theory of "husband with cribbing wife", but unfortunately i m the wife, who is working 40+ hrs with fortune 500 company and planning to start her own company, whose husband keeps travelling (consulting) as he cann't change his job until GC.
With all odds working against me, I want peace of mind that my kid is in the safe hand, He is not sent back from certified day care only because he is sick...

And if i tell the story of the femal whom I wants to bring here....you would start crying...:-)....

Anyways,

krishna.ahd
10-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Oh come on!!!

Anyways,
Atleast this is much better thinking/planning compare to what i have seen .

I have seen few cases ,
One where both (husband and wife ) working here and sent the 6 months old kid to back india with parents and was boasting that they will send $1000 per year ( yes per year)
Second one - goes like this - I heard Husband saying, his wife can not work here and take care of the kid , so they deicded to leave my daughter ( just one year old ) in india.

I cursed this materealistic world.

krishna.ahd
10-24-2008, 07:24 PM
Here is a good material to read..If someone plan to do, I am also interested.

http://www.lexisnexis.com/practiceareas/immigration/pdfs/web885.pdf
Excellent Link , thanks ( BTW I am not planning to use the info )

kart2007
10-24-2008, 07:41 PM

What you are looking for is Au Pair from India. This is the program available to get nannys for a period of 12 months, extensible up to 24 months. This may or may not be practical to you since there are several conditions to be met.

Ofcourse I am not talking from experience. Just read about this in past and remembered.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. However if one pays $5700 to the agency isnt it better to just hire someone here? Probably by using the agency and $100 pm its still cheaper when you see this across 2 years.

Thanks for the info.

suriajay12
10-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Oh come on!!!
Please dont say we are taking away jobs from others. For any reason.

But lets not overdo it. I wish the population be under control and not just do things for eonomic reasons all the time.

Anyways,

I do see your side too, still local help is what you must consider. I know how things will be in similar cases in India, but lets not re-create everything here. I may want to do somehting elsem, he may want do one other things,, Finally where do we go.

Ramba
10-24-2008, 08:27 PM

Au pair sponsership is available only to USC or LPR only not for H1 or AOS. One has to consider this.

asanghi
10-24-2008, 08:51 PM
My being on H1 has nothing to do with you tryin to bring a Nanny, I am not on a Nanny visa or am I? Can i be your nanny at $65 an hour? jeez.
If you are trying to bring a Nanny to pay her $1000 a month plus airfare and 6 months of vacation and admit her to a local college for education and groundwork with your lawyer to complete the process, go ahead and do it.

1) If you want to help that person, sponsor her or her childrens education. You are not helping anyone by sponsoring an underpaid worker. How would you feel, if your employer asks you to work for $20K a year just cos you did not have any other opportunity?
3) If you want someone to understand your culture, you belong where your culture belongs, right in the very mother-land where you come from, cultures dont get exported out.
4) What you are tryin to do is illegal too, more illegal than the so called illegal you are talking about.

India is a country of a billion people, and you are trying to tell me the story of a downtrodden or a poor soul. and what are you trying to do to help?
Exploit the situation.

She will take care of the kid at home, and believe me, nannies do moderate house work too, alojng with taking care of the sneezing kid, also does dishes, does the laundry and stuff.

Let me introduce you to a term called PPP(purchasing power parity) google it and see why you should not expect to earn something and spend something else.

Believe me, many of us are in the same situation as you are and everyone of us know of some poor person in india who is deperately in need. And we want a solution too, but the one you want, is wrong..

Man you really are a rabid dog.

Keep making assumptions about others and keep barking on them. Good job.

ruchigup
10-24-2008, 08:59 PM
You can get help from legal Indian immigrant here in US. I know a friend in San Francsico making use of that help. Try checking on Sulekha or Rediff.

A friend in SFO has three kids and they hired stay home Indian nanny and they pay her 1500pm plus food and accomodation. You can negotiate for less money if you are not getting all house chores done from her and have 1 child.

Sulkeha is good place to start.

desighee
10-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Common man...
she is just trying to do what most desi employers do to their indian employees in this country, suck the blood out of them and expect a thank you.It is also quite ironical to see how human beings provide a charity face to the exploitation they do of the people and pat themselves for helping out those in need.Beleive me in their own state of mind they might be 100% sincere in their effort.
On a second thougt if this nanny in question is a downtrodden lady may be making 10-20rs /day in India,it could be a better deal for her.Atleast she could get an a/c home to live and save a couple of bucks,
From Indian standards it could be a blessing in disguise for her, but from American standards ,and from shear morality point of view it is
labor rights violation.For chartity purposes go to worldvision.org and contribute for poor children

[

QUOTE=reddog;299070]My being on H1 has nothing to do with you tryin to bring a Nanny, I am not on a Nanny visa or am I? Can i be your nanny at $65 an hour? jeez.

Exploit the situation.

Believe me, many of us are in the same situation as you are and everyone of us know of some poor person in india who is deperately in need. And we want a solution too, but the one you want, is wrong..[/QUOTE]

kopra
10-24-2008, 11:48 PM
you can try with some walstreet CEO's or even high profile financial brokers. They may be out looking for jobs now in this market:D

Thanks in advance.

here_d
10-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Seriously, I didn' have any idea that i would have to justify myself for a very simple question upto this extent.

Anyways,
I understand all ur concerns about exploitation and underpay, but only because you assumed most part of the situation and you already have prejudiced view about most indian, that's why you think this way.

1) If I pay her 1000$ per month+insurance+ticket, i think it would be the same amount i pay here. ..1200+. So no underpay. Then why would i want somebody from india??..because I m not able to find right person here.
When you talk to a nanny here, they don't even ask name of the kid , they only negotiate duties, salary etc.
Recently I had bad exp with last nanny, I am in confusion whether to complain somewhere or not. I am pretty sure you guys would have specific judgments and questions about that as well, and i would definitely ask for your opinions...:-)
After two months of various trials, I am tried.
2) Where is exploitation comes in the picture?? I am almost alone at home with my kid...I eat salad, brown bread/ rice. So hardly any cooking. We have washing machine and dish washer....but i think i would get a company and would feel safer staying alone.
3) I don't want to do it as a charity ofcourse, but whenever i visit india, they are asking for ways to come here.....and for a while i though that would solve a problem ....and believe me i had no idea that what a terrible monster I am....
I think here most of the people here want to convert EB3-EB2 or do labor substitution...or trying hard to get bro/sis here....and doing all possible illegal stuff to get GC........but for they have great advices and moral policies for other people

I think reddog said something like "he hates labor in indian society.." I am really amazed because i love system there
My mom has a maid from last 18 years, she get paid 30 $ per month (my father earns around 300 $ ...so that makes sense)
My mom buys clothes for her when she buys for herself in diwali. My father manages books for maid's kids. And she would advise me all the time as my mother does....
When i visit india, i get gift for her as well...And all this is not charity, because my parents are not rich enough for charity...but it's the indian societ where people give to others from whatever small amount they have....without any notion of charity....
I wish I can build something similar here.....

Exploit the situation.

orangutan
10-25-2008, 10:37 AM
I would suggest you check with Mahender Sabhani
(http://www.nriinternet.com/NRI_Discrimination/USA/2007/Mahender_%20Sabhnani/index.htm)

Thanks in advance.

engineer
10-25-2008, 11:00 AM
/I really like your theory of "husband with cribbing wife", but unfortunately i m the wife/.

What is your rebuttal Mr. Reddog ?

abracadabra102
10-25-2008, 11:03 AM

Exploit the situation.

Reddog, you should consider writing as a career :D. Good prose.

krishna.ahd
10-25-2008, 12:34 PM
"Let me introduce you to a term called PPP(purchasing power parity) google it and see why you should not expect to earn something and spend something else."

Lets leave that to world economists or if you are one of them please keep the same to yourself.

You are looking every thing thru money , so many thing in life you can not buy with money . This is one of them , you may not able to understand a Mother's point of view.

reddog
10-26-2008, 01:24 AM
and seriously I never spend so much words and so much time in replying to someone and that person not getting the point.

First, I never said I hate the labor in India. I do hate the lack of dignity of labor there.
You are forcing us to believe that you do not understand dignity of labor.
And definitely do not want to google PPP.

Yes, you should complain to the States Child and Family care services.
Also check for your City's Child care/nanny association, most providers/nannies are registered with them. And most people check with them to check any -ve entries.
A Fingerprint based Criminal background check costs 20 to 30 bucks in most states and people are okay with it, bcos most schools/day cares have that procedure mandatory before they hire anyone.
You should also call the references they provide. All states have a 'Offenders in your area' website, where you can check for that person.
I can say all this cos I can say we are 'have seen it, been there' kinds.

your underpay explanation is at a tangent, with the only part touching the topic is 'underpay'.
Believe me, you cannot bring a person from India on one of those visas and get away by only paying her $12K a year for a full time employment, legally speaking.
Well, maybe if you are a meatpacking plant with legally having lobbyists working for you with the State senate and the Federal Senate, you might import the maid for the plant and make her do the dishes for you. Still a maybe. Still illegal.

You are overlooking the underlying problems in India, ie. poverty and overpopulation and trying to resolve it by exploiting it.

an engineer with a family of 4 in India makes Rs 15000 per month. If I offer him 4 times that salary for a 8 hour full time job, here in the states, does that make me a mahatma?

Seriously, I didn' have any idea that i would have to justify myself for a very simple question upto this extent.

Anyways,
I understand all ur concerns about exploitation and underpay, but only because you assumed most part of the situation and you already have prejudiced view about most indian, that's why you think this way.

1) If I pay her 1000$ per month+insurance+ticket, i think it would be the same amount i pay here. ..1200+. So no underpay. Then why would i want somebody from india??..because I m not able to find right person here.
When you talk to a nanny here, they don't even ask name of the kid , they only negotiate duties, salary etc.
Recently I had bad exp with last nanny, I am in confusion whether to complain somewhere or not. I am pretty sure you guys would have specific judgments and questions about that as well, and i would definitely ask for your opinions...:-)
2) Where is exploitation comes in the picture?? I am almost alone at home with my kid...I eat salad, brown bread/ rice. So hardly any cooking. We have washing machine and dish washer....but i think i would get a company and would feel safer staying alone.
3) I don't want to do it as a charity ofcourse, but whenever i visit india, they are asking for ways to come here.....and for a while i though that would solve a problem ....and believe me i had no idea that what a terrible monster I am....
I think here most of the people here want to convert EB3-EB2 or do labor substitution...or trying hard to get bro/sis here....and doing all possible illegal stuff to get GC........but for they have great advices and moral policies for other people

I think reddog said something like "he hates labor in indian society.." I am really amazed because i love system there
My mom has a maid from last 18 years, she get paid 30 $ per month (my father earns around 300 $ ...so that makes sense)
My mom buys clothes for her when she buys for herself in diwali. My father manages books for maid's kids. And she would advise me all the time as my mother does....
When i visit india, i get gift for her as well...And all this is not charity, because my parents are not rich enough for charity...but it's the indian societ where people give to others from whatever small amount they have....without any notion of charity....

anilsal
10-26-2008, 01:24 AM
when someone asks an unusual question like the one started in this forum? The lady has clearly outlined her reasons for the question in the subsequent posts. But one or more responders have not been good to the person who started the thread. This is not nice.

The right way was to ask the person who posted the original question for the reasons and then start a discussion and provide suggestions/guidance.

My suggestion to the lady would be to communicate/discuss with other Indian couples in the neighborhood/city etc (you live in NJ - so should have no issues there) and get potential options here. I am sure there are many working couples in the region who have kids and face similar issues.

dilbert_cal
10-26-2008, 01:27 AM

1) If I pay her 1000$ per month+insurance+ticket, i think it would be the same amount i pay here. ..1200+. So no underpay.

1. Do you understand 1000$ per month+insurance+ticket IS NOT EQUAL to 1200+ --

Insurance should be 150 to 200 dollars itself.
Ticket is say 1500 dollars - if she is here for six month , then apportioning it monthly is 250 dollars. For a year, its 125 dollars.

Do you understand you have to pay payroll taxes on top of the 1000 dollars ?

End of the year, your maid has to pay taxes as well - are you going to cover the expense ( probably 50 dollar plus - nothing for us but a big amount for someone earning 1000 dollars )

Will she get a bedroom of her own or sleep in living room. An additional bedroom for her is going to cost you again.

the above already is 1000 + payroll tax + 150 + 125 IS HIGHER THAN 1200.
( Yes, I know you put a + after 1200 - but I'm assuming you are only looking for +50 to +100 range and not higher )

In terms of Exploitation, let me ask you this :-

Will she be working 8 hrs a day for 5 days ONLY as a nanny would do ?
Will she be getting days off ?

One assumption I made is you will provide accomodation as well - if thats not the case then her salary of 1000 will barely let her survive here.

Nothing wrong with your approach - but the numbers you are working on are not realistic - and if you are stay at home mom - the numbers which are practical are scary for a lot of single earning family.

I'm not accusing you of any wrong-doing or intentions at this point and hope you take it as an extension of the discussion you started. You know the best about your situation and are free to do whats the best for you and your family - just want to point out that you need to do more homework on maid from India plan.

krishna.ahd
10-26-2008, 02:55 PM
and seriously I never spend so much words and so much time in replying to someone and that person not getting the point.

First, I never said I hate the labor in India. I do hate the lack of dignity of labor there.
You are forcing us to believe that you do not understand dignity of labor.
And definitely do not want to google PPP.

Yes, you should complain to the States Child and Family care services.
Also check for your City's Child care/nanny association, most providers/nannies are registered with them. And most people check with them to check any -ve entries.
A Fingerprint based Criminal background check costs 20 to 30 bucks in most states and people are okay with it, bcos most schools/day cares have that procedure mandatory before they hire anyone.
You should also call the references they provide. All states have a 'Offenders in your area' website, where you can check for that person.
I can say all this cos I can say we are 'have seen it, been there' kinds.

your underpay explanation is at a tangent, with the only part touching the topic is 'underpay'.
Believe me, you cannot bring a person from India on one of those visas and get away by only paying her $12K a year for a full time employment, legally speaking.
Well, maybe if you are a meatpacking plant with legally having lobbyists working for you with the State senate and the Federal Senate, you might import the maid for the plant and make her do the dishes for you. Still a maybe. Still illegal.

You are overlooking the underlying problems in India, ie. poverty and overpopulation and trying to resolve it by exploiting it.

an engineer with a family of 4 in India makes Rs 15000 per month. If I offer him 4 times that salary for a 8 hour full time job, here in the states, does that make me a mahatma?
Reddog ,
I strongly believe you are the one who is not getting the point , repeatedly made by the frustrated /concerned mother and you are trying all sort of theoretical argument by that you may prove your knowledge of hedging / foreign currency pricing or in next post even how to come up with LIBOR .
Here you need HEART ( specially of Mother) to understand the issue not the book knowledge you gained thru Google or any other means. I had tried to point out in my earlier post also but in vain, as you are so obsessed to teach every one about PPP and Labor dignity.

Please please please If you have any suggestion to help/solve the situation post here otherwise (one more time please ) ignore the post.

crsna
10-26-2008, 05:39 PM
I'm pretty sure you have touched the raw nerve of many. If you really want a person of your own culture, to care for your child legally you should consider the Au Pair program http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au_pair . This may or may not be applicable to the person you want to bring in as a maid.

lord_labaku
10-27-2008, 12:51 AM
Find a company that lets you work from home when your kid is sick ( I guess if you are starting a company soon...you could probably put it as an employee benefit). & find a daycare thats reasonably flexible.

Question is....whether we live to work or work to live.

kumar1
10-27-2008, 01:06 AM
Something I got from murthy.com

Employment Contracts for B-1 Domestics ("Nannies")
Posted Apr 23, 2004

The U.S. Department of State (DOS) recently issued an update on the requirements for employment contracts for B-1 visa domestic attendants. Regular readers may recall our July 18, 2003 MurthyBulletin article, Visa Opportunities for Household and Domestic Attendants, available on MurthyDotCom, outlining the visa eligibility requirements for B-1 domestic attendants or "nannies."

Lawful permanent residents are not generally eligible to sponsor domestic attendants. In the case of United States citizens, only those who are temporarily returning to the U.S. from abroad may sponsor domestic attendants if their stays in the U.S. are temporary in nature and will not exceed four years. However, most A, G, and NATO visa holders and most other nonimmigrant visa holders (B, E, F, H, I, J, L, M, O, P, Q, R, or TN) are eligible to sponsor domestic attendants. The DOS advisory is helpful since it reminds consular officers of the availability of this visa category under law. The advisory will also help more people to take advantage of the B-1 domestic attendant visa. Many people from certain countries are accustomed to having domestic help and may consider bringing such help with them from their home countries to the United States. Details of the requirements are outlined in the above-referenced article.

One of the requirements for bringing in a domestic attendant is that there must be a signed employment contract between the employer and the nanny. Generally, the contract must stipulate that the employer guarantees the greater of the prevailing wage or the minimum wage, that the employer will provide free room and board, and that s/he will be the sole provider of employment to the B-1 attendant. The recent update from the DOS discusses additional terms that should be included in the employment agreement.

With respect to determining the prevailing wage, the DOS considers the U.S. Department of Labor's prevailing wage statistics to most closely reflect a fair living wage for servants and personal employees. It instructs consular officers to rely upon these figures when determining whether employment contract provisions satisfy applicable prevailing wage requirements. Providing a sense of the wage requirements, the DOS listed examples of hourly prevailing wage information for several regions. The Level I hourly prevailing wage for 2004 for "Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners" is $8.84/hour in the New York City area, $6.71/hour in the Washington, DC area, and $6.15/hour in the Miami, FL area. Until these figures were suggested in this DOS update, no one was exactly sure what figures the consular officers would consider when approving the B-1 visa for a domestic attendant.

The DOS further advised that consular officers should ensure that the terms of the contract are generally clear. The DOS discussed additional contract terms; in particular, payment for time on premises after hours, employee's retention of passport, and employee's right to leave the premises when not on duty. The DOS reminded consular officers that, at the time of the interview, they should inform all domestic workers that they will be subject to and protected by U.S. law while in the United States, and that their contracts create legal obligations on the parts of both the employee and the employer. The DOS further instructed the consular officers that they should make domestic workers aware that the telephone number for police and emergency services is 911, and that the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services maintains a telephone hotline for reporting abuse of domestic employees, which is available on their website.

The recent advisory from the DOS is helpful to protect B-1 domestic attendant employees, since many of them tend to be relatively uneducated, with little or no understanding of the U.S. laws governing and protecting them while they are in the United States. It prevents abuse of a system meant to benefit various parties and provides the umbrella of protections available under U.S. laws.

Pineapple
10-27-2008, 01:24 AM
If you want to import labor just to take care of your kid, and do it legally and ethically, paying proper wage, obeying local labor laws, getting proper paperwork, sure, you can do it. But you have to be seriously rich. But if you have that kind of money, you'll get a lawyer to answer these questions about how to go about bringing a maid here. You will not be posting it on a web forum.

Bottom line, if you are the kind to try to save a buck by posting questions about complex legal issues online instead of hiring a lawyer, it is extremely unlikely you are going to paying anything like proper minimum wage to your maid. Getting someone here on what would amount to basically bonded labor is not just very unethical, but illegal.
I'll be honest - If I see my neighbor or someone I know doing it, I will not hesitate reporting that person to the authorities.

And by the way, invoking "motherhood" is rather silly. Millions of mothers here, both American and immigrant, raise kids successfully without having to get a bonded laborer from a poor country to do the washing and cooing to the baby while the 'mother' stretches her leg on the sofa.

If the hubby and wife cannot pitch in and do their fair share, perhaps you are not ready to take up the responsibilities of parenthood.

waitin_toolong
10-27-2008, 09:59 AM
without getting into the debate about the ethics etc..
here is some information

http://www.murthy.com/news/ukvisaop.html

There is a provision for H1 and B1 people to bring in the domestic help, not a cheap or an easy option but it is used.

My only advise follow the rule and the intent of the law, our kids learn from us and pick up subtle clues.

Coming from a both parents working with a 4 year old and 7 month old I can sympathize with your situation.

anai
10-27-2008, 11:09 AM
How is legally hiring an Indian nanny any different from legally hiring an Indian scientist or an Indian doctor? Surely, those who are arguing for dignity of labor cannot deny the right of the Indian nanny to seek legal employment anywhere in the world.

Let the nanny, the immigration system, and the legal international labor market figure out who should work where. Just as you wouldn't want anti-trade socialists to tell you where you should work and how much you should earn, the nannies of India don't need anyone here to tell them what's fair in the legal labor market.

Pineapple
10-27-2008, 11:44 AM
The operative word here is "legally". Sure, you can do it legally, and there is nothing wrong with that.

But that means doing the paperwork (expensive) and paying proper wages (even more expensive). Basically, if you do it legally, it is 100 % of the time going to be much more expensive than hiring locally.

The only reason to do that is exactly the same reason why skilled overseas workers are (or at least should be) recruited: For premium quality, even if more expensive, not as a low wage bonded labor. In case of unskilled workers, adhering to minimum wage laws and other related regulations is even more important as the labor we are talking about in case of maid service are typically the ones most vulnerable to exploitation, given the relatively less education of workers/language problems/cultural differences etc.

The common sense question is, if you have that kind of money to afford hiring legally, would you be posting "how to" questions online in the hope of getting free advice??? Obviously, the person posting this question has no intention of paying proper wage and benefits and is looking for a cheap bonded laborer.

How is legally hiring an Indian nanny any different from legally hiring an Indian scientist or an Indian doctor? Surely, those who are arguing for dignity of labor cannot deny the right of the Indian nanny to seek legal employment anywhere in the world.

Let the nanny, the immigration system, and the legal international labor market figure out who should work where. Just as you wouldn't want anti-trade socialists to tell you where you should work and how much you should earn, the nannies of India don't need anyone here to tell them what's fair in the legal labor market.

alias
10-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Firstly we are a couple both working and don't think this is the right way at all. Your justification clearly points that culture preservation trumps everything else. So if that is so important to you why bother living in a different culture and yet complain about it. I think you should embrace both cultures equally. The key is to adjust yourself to the living styles of wherever you are and at the same time preserve your culture in a diversified manner. We have had a nanny (American citizen) for one year now. We had her family with us for our Durga puja celebrations and we are invited to participate in her house for thanksgiving dinner. She speaks little bit Hindi too now (atleast tries) with my two year old son.

I think reading through your justifications; it simply appears that you are not comfortable with the constraints that come along with hiring someone local. Yes, they work for 8 hours only; you need to pay extra if they work after 4 PM. I think you are looking for someone like a stay home nanny; that will be really expensive. So what you are trying to workout is to get somebody from India and yet pay her just $1200 bucks, why isn’t that exploitation. You want more but at the same time pay less.

Anyways,

here_d
10-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Hi all,
I am really thankful to people who replied sincerely and understood the dilemma I have.
Thanks dilbert_cal to point out that it's much more expensive than what I thought of.
And to pineapple, I am very happy to know that you believe in successful upbringing here/in India. Because I always hear about killing by teenager, teenage pregnancy, smoking & drugs consumption ration etc. I think I should not be worried now, because millions of American and Indian are raising their kids perfectly fine.
And to reddog, I think it's a good show off about ur googlish knowledge. And you know what, We can have very good discussion someday about financial terms and theory behind cheap versus expensive labor in different countries, when I am not in a "mother mode".
For lord_labaku, I totally understand your point, and sometimes I feel like taking up a job that is "work-from-home" types. But unfortunately I am also ambitious as everyone of you are. I just don't want to do a job, but build a career. So it's always a tough decision for me....
Somebody mentioned that i can go to lawyer, ofcourse I can. But I think social networking is the big thing, you don't only get answers, but sometime innovative ideas about the same situation....(ask reddog if you have any dout/quesitons regarding term "social networking"...or just goole it ....:D)
Apart from my question, It's not good to judge people, specially start criticizing without knowing the details. ( I think such people should read more about psychology instead of finance..:))
So Happy diwali to all, Bye for now.

hpandey
10-27-2008, 12:46 PM
My friend has an Indian Origin Nanny from NJ who is a GC holder . She is a live in nanny and they pay her 2200 $ a month for the last almost two years. I know several other people two who have GC holder Indian origin nannies in NJ. So its quite easy if you wish to find someone local in NJ which has a heavy indian population .

m306m
10-27-2008, 12:57 PM
I want thank you for posting this question for 2 reasons. Firstly, I think your question is valid and deserves a full answer without moral judgment. Secondly, I am intrigued by the moral arguments the question has raised (and yes there is an moral and ethical dimension to this but it is not an answer to your initial query)

My wife and I are working full time as well and have often wondered if we should hire a nanny for our 3 year old. Growing up I have had several legal nannies for 15 years and unlike most people replying to this thread I was not raised in India (thus had an Indian Nanny sponsored to a foreign country). I think someone has already answered how you can get a nanny to come to the US in a prior post on this thread. I will focus on giving you another dimension to having a nanny. My parents have sponsored nannies legally from India many times (not in the US) but very often it is very hard for them to live away from India for extended periods of time. They miss their family and depression often ensues. Most of the women who are asking for your help when they are in India don't understand how hard it is to live in the US where language, family and transportation barriers make a sponsor's home almost feel like a prison. As they get more and more depressed and lonely their behavior starts to impact the very child that the sponsor is trying to accommodate.

Do consider these issues very strongly before you sponsor a nanny from India (or any other country). Having an INDIAN (ie. not visited US before and does not speak English) nanny in the US is not the same (or remotely similar) as having an INDIAN nanny in India. :)

Good luck with your search.

Anyways,

reddog
10-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Hi all,
I am really thankful to people who replied sincerely and understood the dilemma I have.
Thanks dilbert_cal to point out that it's much more expensive than what I thought of.
And to pineapple, I am very happy to know that you believe in successful upbringing here/in India. Because I always hear about killing by teenager, teenage pregnancy, smoking & drugs consumption ration etc. I think I should not be worried now, because millions of American and Indian are raising their kids perfectly fine.
And to reddog, I think it's a good show off about ur googlish knowledge. And you know what, We can have very good discussion someday about financial terms and theory behind cheap versus expensive labor in different countries, when I am not in a "mother mode".
For lord_labaku, I totally understand your point, and sometimes I feel like taking up a job that is "work-from-home" types. But unfortunately I am also ambitious as everyone of you are. I just don't want to do a job, but build a career. So it's always a tough decision for me....
Somebody mentioned that i can go to lawyer, ofcourse I can. But I think social networking is the big thing, you don't only get answers, but sometime innovative ideas about the same situation....(ask reddog if you have any dout/quesitons regarding term "social networking"...or just goole it ....:D)
Apart from my question, It's not good to judge people, specially start criticizing without knowing the details. ( I think such people should read more about psychology instead of finance..:))
So Happy diwali to all, Bye for now.

It really shook me to the core when you made your statement "I am OK with her travelling to INdia every 6 months" and then "I want a person who is making 100 $ per month to earn more (atleast 1000 $ per month ...right??)".

You are a mother and your priorities are different, and are a little low on humility.
Happy Diwali. I am sorry if I offended you in any way.

Pineapple
10-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Is that your justification for getting a bonded laborer from your village???
How does getting an uneducated maid for far less than minimum wage make you a better parent and protect your kid from (I quote) "killing by teenager, teenage pregnancy, smoking & drugs consumption ration etc"???

I hope this thread dies off quickly.. people like here_d are unfortunately, "Exhibit A" for the NumbersUSA crowd, who assume all immigrants from South Asia are barely civilized apes. :rolleyes:

here_d
10-27-2008, 02:10 PM
I think you live only for charity and humanity, but i am not.
When my employer hired me, rule was clear "They are okey with me taking 15 days leave once a year". I cannot take leave more than that. If my kid is sick all the time and I take leave (or no-pay) all the time. I would get fired. So If I am employer/I am paying for any service, I can have my own rule. Of course nanny can travel as many times as she wants, but if it is acceptable to me, I would not want that situation.

I don't know where I cross the line of humanity. I work here and I visit my family once in two years, because my employer is not fine with 2-3 weeks vacation every year. And I don't blame him for that because he has to run business, not charity. (Anyways, I really don't support charity a lot, after reading "Fountainhead" or "Atlas Shrugged" by ayn rand.)

I said I am fine with her travelling every 6 months, because I think there is some limitation on visitor visa about duration.
I wish I had enough money that I can let her travel around the world as many times as she wants, and fulfill all the criteria for humanity. ...:D

For 100$ to 1000$, yeah I really feel bad when I go to india and see people working 12 hrs a day and making so less. Even in IT, i have friends who works 70 hrs a week ...I wish I can change this, I wish these people get chance to work in a different country where labor is expensive, so that they get better value of their work.But as of now, let's just hope....

And yes you definitely offended me, but instead of being sorry, please don't try to judge anyone instead of answering questions, and if you have to judge, try to know all the details.

About ur statement "You are a mother and your priorities are different, and are a little low on humility."....I can also conclude a lot abt u, but unfortunately I don't spend/waste time in passing judgement, I have lot more to achieve.

It really shook me to the core when you made your statement "I am OK with her travelling to INdia every 6 months" and then "I want a person who is making 100 $ per month to earn more (atleast 1000 $ per month ...right??)".

You are a mother and your priorities are different, and are a little low on humility.

alias
10-27-2008, 02:26 PM
Moral of the story is - if someone complains to CIS or labor department about the practice you are trying to sell and if you actually end-up doing it, you might end up in jail..period.

I think you live only for charity and humanity, but i am not.
When my employer hired me, rule was clear "They are okey with me taking 15 days leave once a year". I cannot take leave more than that. If my kid is sick all the time and I take leave (or no-pay) all the time. I would get fired. So If I am employer/I am paying for any service, I can have my own rule. Of course nanny can travel as many times as she wants, but if it is acceptable to me, I would not want that situation.

I don't know where I cross the line of humanity. I work here and I visit my family once in two years, because my employer is not fine with 2-3 weeks vacation every year. And I don't blame him for that because he has to run business, not charity. (Anyways, I really don't support charity a lot, after reading "Fountainhead" or "Atlas Shrugged" by ayn rand.)

I said I am fine with her travelling every 6 months, because I think there is some limitation on visitor visa about duration.
I wish I had enough money that I can let her travel around the world as many times as she wants, and fulfill all the criteria for humanity. ...:D

For 100$ to 1000$, yeah I really feel bad when I go to india and see people working 12 hrs a day and making so less. Even in IT, i have friends who works 70 hrs a week ...I wish I can change this, I wish these people get chance to work in a different country where labor is expensive, so that they get better value of their work.But as of now, let's just hope....

And yes you definitely offended me, but instead of being sorry, please don't try to judge anyone instead of answering questions, and if you have to judge, try to know all the details.

About ur statement "You are a mother and your priorities are different, and are a little low on humility."....I can also conclude a lot abt u, but unfortunately I don't spend/waste time in passing judgement, I have lot more to achieve.

gaz
10-27-2008, 02:27 PM

its really depressing that members on the forums are quick to judge and flame a question poster rather than answer objectively if they can. can't see anything positive coming out of this.

gaz
10-27-2008, 02:37 PM
would you have the same response if someone from Ireland or UK or another NATO country asked the question about bringing in a nanny to take care of their kid?
http://askville.amazon.com/Recommendations-nanny-visa/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=1034190

Its the cultural aspect of it STUPID and not the money or the labor aspect.

btw - to the original poster
http://www.murthy.com/news/n_empcon.html

Is that your justification for getting a bonded laborer from your village???
How does getting an uneducated maid for far less than minimum wage make you a better parent and protect your kid from (I quote) "killing by teenager, teenage pregnancy, smoking & drugs consumption ration etc"???

I hope this thread dies off quickly.. people like here_d are unfortunately, "Exhibit A" for the NumbersUSA crowd, who assume all immigrants from South Asia are barely civilized apes. :rolleyes:

rajmehrotra
10-27-2008, 02:41 PM
I think you need to talk to an attorney, or at least to an employment agency that does Au Pairs and household help etc., to spell out your options. Having someone working six-month stints on a B-1/B-2 visa in not the intent of the B (visitor's) visa, and can get the visa holder and the sponsor in trouble with immigration and employment/minimum wage laws. This will also cause problems for you if you have to sponsor someone else for a visitor's visa in the future.

Also, living in the United States, and striving to become a Resident/Citizen, please do not pigeonhole an entire country of 300+ million people, a country that you have chosen to call home, hopefully for the rest of your life, as full of drug addled teenagers etc. It sounds rather ignorant.

gaz
10-27-2008, 02:53 PM
http://www.murthy.com/news/ukvisaop.html

he use of domestic attendants is much more common in other countries than in the U.S. Frequently, foreign nationals planning to come to the U.S. seek advice from our Office about their domestic attendants or household help and whether these employees may accompany them to the U.S. We intend to shed some light and on a provision that is used infrequently, but which may prove to be very helpful if one is willing to follow certain procedures and satisfy the legal criteria for eligibility.

B-1 Status Available for Domestic Attendants

The three most common attendants recognized under law are outlined below, but only those accompanying certain diplomats and officials of international organizations qualify under this definition. Most relevant and beneficial to MurthyDotCom and MurthyBulletin readers are the following two categories of applicants: (a) those on nonimmigrant status like F-1, H1B, L-1, and E-1 status or (b) those who are U.S. citizens living abroad, returning temporarily to the U.S. This category of domestic help or attendant is called the B-1 attendant visa.

Nonimmigrants Who May Apply for B-1 Attendants

An attendant is eligible for the B-1 visa if her or his employer seeks, or is presently in the U.S. in, a qualifying nonimmigrant visa category. The categories of qualifying nonimmigrants who may legally apply for the B-1 visa for their domestic attendants are those who are on: B, E, F, H, I, J, L, or TN status.

Criteria to Apply for B-1 Attendant Visa

First, the B-1 attendant must demonstrate that s/he has worked for the employer for at least 1 year abroad. Alternatively, if s/he has worked for the employer for less than one year, the B-1 attendant must have at least one year of prior experience working as a servant. In the second case, the B-1 attendant must have worked as a domestic servant for the employer for at least some period of time to qualify for the B-1 attendant visa.

Second, the B-1 attendant must prove nonimmigrant intent. This is demonstrated, as with all pure nonimmigrant visa applications, by showing strong ties to the home country, such as maintaining a residence abroad that s/he has no intention of abandoning. Where the employer’s visa classification allows for dual intent, and the employer is pursuing an application for permanent residence, the B-1 attendant may have difficulty establishing that his or her intent is to remain in the U.S. temporarily. Once the employer obtains permanent resident status, that person is no longer eligible to use the services of the B-1 attendant.

Payment of Minimum Wage or Prevailing Wage

There must be a signed employment contract, which guarantees the greater of the prevailing wage or the minimum wage. The employer is also obligated to provide free room and board, and the employer must stipulate that s/he will be the sole provider of employment for the B-1 attendant.

EAD Requirement

Unlike the A-3, G-5, and NATO7 attendant visas described below, a B-1 attendant requires an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). The EAD must be obtained prior to commencing employment, yet it cannot be filed until after the B-1 attendant enters the U.S. This presents a difficult situation for the attendant. Immediately upon arriving in the U.S., the B-1 attendant is not authorized to begin work with the sponsoring family employer. Instead s/he must file an EAD application, which currently takes at least 60 – 90 days to process. Upon approval of the EAD application, the attendant is authorized to begin working legally. Unfortunately, there is no provision in the law for the attendant to begin work while the EAD application is pending.

Procedure at Consulate Abroad

The intending B-1 attendant must first request the visa from the consulate in a process similar to requesting an ordinary B-1 Business visa. However, because the B-1 attendant visa is used relatively infrequently, the applicant would be well advised to present the Consular Officer with a prepared package from his/her attorney that clearly establishes the legal basis for the B-1 attendant visa. Upon arrival and admission to the U.S., the applicant must file the EAD application and, once filed, s/he must wait the 60-90 days it takes to obtain the EAD before beginning work.

Duration of B-1 Attendant Status

In all other aspects, the B-1 attendant visa is like any other B-1 visitor for Business. The validity of the B-1 attendant’s visa may not exceed the validity of the employer’s visa, though, generally, most B-1s are granted for only shorter periods. The B-1 visa is limited to an initial admission of one year, with six-month extensions, and the EAD will be limited to the period of validity of the B-1 visa (1 year, initially, 6 months after each request for extension). This, too, presents a logistical challenge in maintaining the validity of the visa and EAD. A B-1 attendant will be subject to a perpetual state of B-1 extension applications (maximum of 6 months) and EAD renewal applications (which will be limited to the same 6 months of validity) for the duration of the employment.

File Timely Extensions of B-1 and EAD

Once the EAD is issued, the B-1 attendant is authorized to commence work for the balance of the first year. Thereafter, an application for extension of the B-1 visa and EAD renewal will be required. The extension and renewal applications should be filed concurrently to ensure that the BCIS processes the extension and EAD renewal simultaneously, in order to avoid future gaps in employment eligibility for the B-1 attendant.

Other Visa Categories Available for Domestic Attendants

There are three expressly designated visa categories for personal or household domestic attendants: “A-3” (attendants of foreign government official Ambassadors, Public Ministers, Career Diplomats, or Consular Officers), “G-5 “(attendants of foreign government officials to International Organizations), “NATO7” (attendants of North Atlantic Treaty Organization Representatives). An attendant who qualifies for one of these visa categories enjoys the advantage of employment incident to status. Therefore, s/he is not required to obtain an employment authorization document (EAD). In addition, A-3, G-5, and NATO7 visa holders are admitted for an initial period of three years and may be granted extensions in two-year increments. However, the A-3, G-5, and NATO7 are highly restrictive visa categories, available only to a small class of attendants with principals who work for the foreign government or a qualifying international organization, etc.

Overview of Issues for B-1 Attendants

B-1 attendants require intensive oversight to ensure that they maintain legal status and authorization for employment. However, the B-1 attendant visa is a viable option for families accustomed to the assistance of their domestic attendants and for whom a separation would be impractical. Given the tight market for domestic attendants and “nannies,” it is unlikely that a foreign national would be able to find a suitable replacement domestic attendant in the U.S. Moreover, if the individual had been a long-time family employee, s/he has the advantage of familiarity with the family's habits and preferences. There are also cultural and language issues that may make it more practical to have a domestic attendant from one's home country. The key is to successfully present the case to obtain and, thereafter, maintain one's domestic attendant’s B-1 status and employment eligibility in the U.S. Hopefully, the expense of the repeated extension and renewal petitions is less than the expense that a foreign national would face in hiring domestic help in the U.S., though the requirement to pay the higher of the minimum wage or prevailing wage may make it unlikely that many will be able to take advantage of the B-1 attendant visa for their domestic help.

I think you need to talk to an attorney, or at least to an employment agency that does Au Pairs and household help etc., to spell out your options. Having someone working six-month stints on a B-1/B-2 visa in not the intent of the B (visitor's) visa, and can get the visa holder and the sponsor in trouble with immigration and employment/minimum wage laws. This will also cause problems for you if you have to sponsor someone else for a visitor's visa in the future.

Also, living in the United States, and striving to become a Resident/Citizen, please do not pigeonhole an entire country of 300+ million people, a country that you have chosen to call home, hopefully for the rest of your life, as full of drug addled teenagers etc. It sounds rather ignorant.

ItIsNotFunny
10-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Guys,

I see there is a wonderful popularity of this thread. I also personally want an answer (ask my wife :)).

I am just here to request everyone that on parellal of this there is a very very important and critical issue going on regarding AC21. In current job market, anyone may loose job. USCIS is rejecting AC21 left and right for last few days.

Even if you used it, planning to use it or not planning to use it at all, please respect the fact that this is complete injustice to legal immigration community and we need to fight this together.

Please send emails to Ombudsman: http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22052

If someone didn't like me interupting the discussion, sorry in advance!

gaz
10-27-2008, 03:03 PM
are you trying to imply that people who complain about desi employers are trying to bring in nannies? :)

its a disjoint set - even a mutually exclusive one. so no comparison or correlation..

disclaimer - i have no need for a nanny or other domestic help. ;)

You guys trying to bring an Indian Nanny are worse than Desi consulting employers.

You complain a lot about them, but see what you yourself want to do?

alias
10-27-2008, 03:11 PM
You might have learnt a lot of statistics lately, but NO they are not mutualy exclusive events. They are almost same, if you replace 'nanny' with a 'H1B worker' in the agrgument and then all arguments appears to be coming from a cheap body shopper....what is different??

are you trying to imply that people who complain about desi employers are trying to bring in nannies? :)

its a disjoint set - even a mutually exclusive one. so no comparison or correlation..

disclaimer - i have no need for a nanny or other domestic help. ;)

fall2004us
10-27-2008, 03:14 PM
why did I get a red dot??
I just appreciated one of the replies ??:mad:

ItIsNotFunny
10-27-2008, 03:17 PM
why did I get a red dot??
I just appreciated one of the replies ??:mad:

Gave you green.

Please do not forget to send an email to Ombudsman for AC21 issue:
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=22052

gaz
10-27-2008, 03:26 PM
thats more than you ever will ..or will even be able to spell ;)
the point being that someone needing a nanny needn't be working with a body shopper and bitching about it ... OR
getting a nanny and being abusive to the worker.

you can't paint everyone with the same tarnished brush - try being a little positive dude. :)

You might have learnt a lot of statistics lately, but NO they are not mutualy exclusive events. They are almost same, if you replace 'nanny' with a 'H1B worker' in the agrgument and then all arguments appears to be coming from a cheap body shopper....what is different??

alias
10-27-2008, 03:36 PM
Just that you probably need to re-think about this entire issue one more time to get a clear picture, I just don't think you understood the problem in the first place and hence your argument is out-of-order. You get 0/10. Thanks for your comment.

thats more than you ever will ..or will even be able to spell ;)
the point being that someone needing a nanny needn't be working with a body shopper and bitching about it ... OR
getting a nanny and being abusive to the worker.

you can't paint everyone with the same tarnished brush - try being a little positive dude. :)

Pineapple
10-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Its the cultural aspect of it STUPID and not the money or the labor aspect.

Sir, I find the logic amusing... are you seriously trying to tell me you buy the argument that the main reason the maid is to be brought in is to teach the kid Indian culture (which the parents, presumably, are too busy to do themselves)?? And it is not about money?...

Hehe.. and you call ME stupid? Hilarious..

As I have always said, if you want to bring someone in, do it by all means. Nobody has any problems with it. Just do it legally. And doing it legally is far more expensive than hiring locally.
And basic commonsense tells me that the good fellow starting this thread has absolutely no intention of doing that, which is why many here are ticked off.

alias
10-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Yes, that's 100% correct! There are clear provisions in law to bring in domestic help but if you work it out it is way expensive than hiring someone local. If the initiator of this thread has priorities other than cost then I think it is okay but if cost is the issue then there is no way it can cheaper - legally. Hence to discuss it in public forums in the anticipation that there might be some loopholes around the law is simply disgusting and frustrating – honestly!!

As I have always said, if you want to bring someone in, do it by all means. Nobody has any problems with it. Just do it legally. And doing it legally is far more expensive than hiring locally.
And basic commonsense tells me that the good fellow starting this thread has absolutely no intention of doing that, which is why many here are ticked off.

gaz
10-27-2008, 04:00 PM
nope not teach culture...
i'm not a parent - but i can appreciate the fact that someone would want their kid in the hands of someone who is from a known culture, speaks the same language maybe, possibly has similar food habits etc.

I agree with your latter statement - about doing it legally. If its more expensive and someone can afford it its their choice. I don't think anyone here has the right to judge about the persons intentions when starting this thread - its not any of our business until we have all the information. Seems most people here call commonsense jumping the gun and using the most negative view available - ask yourself if you would say the same to another person doing the same thing from a "developed" country? Why? Is it because there is no abuse there ... or is it that they would not tolerate your accusation, and someone here may?

Sir, I find the logic amusing... are you seriously trying to tell me you buy the argument that the main reason the maid is to be brought in is to teach the kid Indian culture (which the parents, presumably, are too busy to do themselves)?? And it is not about money?...

Hehe.. and you call ME stupid? Hilarious..

m306m
10-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Gaz, the person opening this thread has already indicated how much she would like to pay for household help. The going rate is approximately 1500 - 2200 dollars a month for a local hire. The person starting this thread is thinking about paying approx $1200 per month (+ tickets every 6 months) to someone from India. Her point is that it is far more than what nanny makes living in India so it is OK to pay her $1200 (below market rate) in the US. As other have pointed out correctly, that it is far more expensive to get legal household help from India than simply hiring from over here.

So it is already known that the initiator of this thread considers money a key benefit in addition to cultural benefit.

What I am surprised by is that no one seem to consider, including the mother who started this thread, that the household help in India might simply not understand what he/she is getting herself into. It is very hard of a nanny from India to be living alone in the US with the sponsor for months on end. The sponsor see the benefit of having someone to take care of her child, and having someone to talk to when they get home. The nanny however, might go crazy living day in and day out all alone at home with the sponsor's child while the sponsors are out all day working. I know this from experience that nanny's more often than not grossly underestimate this part of a their job. So in order to cause undue harm to the nanny and also save some money it is best to hire someone locally in the US. In places like NJ, NY, and Chicago it might even be possible to get local help who are from India. That way the sponsors cultural requirements might be met, it would legal, and cheaper.

Folks on this forum are ticked off because the pay and conditions suggested by the initial poster might lead one to believe that the nanny might be exploited by US standards.

I hope tempers calm down and rationality prevails. I empathize with the initial posters situation. I have similar problems of my own. My wife and I have considered getting a nanny from India on several occasions. Doing it legally is cost prohibitive for us, and we are very concerned about the mental health issues caused by isolation of non-english speaking nannies from India. We are better off hiring someone locally.

nope not teach culture...
i'm not a parent - but i can appreciate the fact that someone would want their kid in the hands of someone who is from a known culture, speaks the same language maybe, possibly has similar food habits etc.

I agree with your latter statement - about doing it legally. If its more expensive and someone can afford it its their choice. I don't think anyone here has the right to judge about the persons intentions when starting this thread - its not any of our business until we have all the information. Seems most people here call commonsense jumping the gun and using the most negative view available - ask yourself if you would say the same to another person doing the same thing from a "developed" country? Why? Is it because there is no abuse there ... or is it that they would not tolerate your accusation, and someone here may?

here_d
10-27-2008, 05:54 PM
I am the one who posted the question, and i didn't specify any amount or any other details. I didn't ask whether I should do that or not.
I didn't do that for money, so i didn't think of payment etc.
I wanted to know just a simpler way of doing it.
Later on, when was criticized / judged/ humiliated, I tried to explain the details and dimension of the problem.
Just to clarify, you guys can continue pouring your criticism.....good luck with that...:-)
[

QUOTE=m306m;299348]Gaz, the person opening this thread has already indicated how much she would like to pay for household help. The going rate is approximately 1500 - 2200 dollars a month for a local hire. The person starting this thread is thinking about paying approx $1200 per month (+ tickets every 6 months) to someone from India. Her point is that it is far more than what nanny makes living in India so it is OK to pay her $1200 (below market rate) in the US. As other have pointed out correctly, that it is far more expensive to get legal household help from India than simply hiring from over here.

So it is already known that the initiator of this thread considers money a key benefit in addition to cultural benefit.

What I am surprised by is that no one seem to consider, including the mother who started this thread, that the household help in India might simply not understand what he/she is getting herself into. It is very hard of a nanny from India to be living alone in the US with the sponsor for months on end. The sponsor see the benefit of having someone to take care of her child, and having someone to talk to when they get home. The nanny however, might go crazy living day in and day out all alone at home with the sponsor's child while the sponsors are out all day working. I know this from experience that nanny's more often than not grossly underestimate this part of a their job. So in order to cause undue harm to the nanny and also save some money it is best to hire someone locally in the US. In places like NJ, NY, and Chicago it might even be possible to get local help who are from India. That way the sponsors cultural requirements might be met, it would legal, and cheaper.

Folks on this forum are ticked off because the pay and conditions suggested by the initial poster might lead one to believe that the nanny might be exploited by US standards.

I hope tempers calm down and rationality prevails. I empathize with the initial posters situation. I have similar problems of my own. My wife and I have considered getting a nanny from India on several occasions. Doing it legally is cost prohibitive for us, and we are very concerned about the mental health issues caused by isolation of non-english speaking nannies from India. We are better off hiring someone locally.[/QUOTE]

dealsnet
10-27-2008, 09:47 PM
See the link for an Indian did in Long Island (NY) to a servant.
Most of the people will do the same, if they are permitted to bring maids from India. Do the same when they do in India. I have seen servant beating in Bangalore, while I am studying Engg. This can happen any where.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/28/nyregion/28slave.html?_r=1&ref=nyregion&oref=slogin

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,308259,00.html

BECsufferer
10-27-2008, 10:10 PM

Some things never change ... even if they are US. I say go back to where you had come from. This fella is looking for best of two worlds ... freedom for self and slavery for others.

masouds
10-28-2008, 04:10 AM
I am the one who posted the question, and i didn't specify any amount or any other details. I didn't ask whether I should do that or not.
I didn't do that for money, so i didn't think of payment etc.
I wanted to know just a simpler way of doing it.
Later on, when was criticized / judged/ humiliated, I tried to explain the details and dimension of the problem.
Just to clarify, you guys can continue pouring your criticism.....good luck with that...:-)

Dear here_d,
I am a parent, and my wife is studying at school; When our kid was born, we decided to bring her up ourselves; It hasn't been easy, but it has been rewarding. She is being brought up as an Iranian-American girl; So far, no problems.
Bringing in a Nanny might make your job slightly easier in the short run, but in the long run will make your kid's life a bit harder as he/she will not be brought up with the American culture and will be kind of an outcast, if you will; I mean, our skin color is different; Having a different culture and accent doesn't exactly help either. I don't want the same thing for my kid. Do you?
The other question (and it is an honest question, not any sort of attack or anything) is that why do you insist in living and bringing up your child in US if you do not want to assimilate in the 'melting pot'? The only reason that I try to give a bit of Iranian culture to my daughter is because I don't want her not to be able to connect with the relatives in the old country. Oh well...