PDA

View Full Version : Validity of Canadian PR after getting US GC

punjabi77
10-08-2008, 01:13 AM
Can someone on this forum please let me know if i can keep my Canadian PR after my 485 is approved?
I dont think approval is going to come that soon for me (I am in EB3 category PD 09/06).
Reason i have asked the above question is because i have my Canadian PR and i know that i can stay outside canada for 3 yrs out of 5 years to maintain PR.
Incase, 485 does not approve in 3 years, then i have to move to Canada to maintain my PR (no option left).
But incase,485 does gets approved within 3 yrs then i will be in a fix as to whether i should keep PR or GC.
Now if there is an option to keep both, then it is gr8, but what if there is no option. i certainly dont want to loose my Canadian PR as i think in long term Canadian Citizenship is better.

Someone please respond.

lord_labaku
10-08-2008, 02:33 AM
Worry about it after the fact.

Technically you can maintain both PR...esp. if you live & commute in one of the border cities like Vancouver, Windsor. But at one point, you may have to decide which citizenship you want.

To maintain future growth, Canada has to rely heavily on immigration - thats one of the reason, its easy to get Canadian PR.

Depending on your priorities, it may be worthwhile to continue maintaining Canadian PR after you get US GC. (for e.g Canada allows sponsor of immediate relatives as a PR while you have to wait for US citizenship of the same. Also getting Canadian citizenship takes 3 years as opposed to 5 in the US)

that being said, the Canadian economy lives in the shadow of US & finding jobs I have heard is difficult in Canada.

punjabi77
10-09-2008, 12:08 PM
thanks for your response..

But i am still not convinced that one can keep both PR as well as GC.

I am quite sure that there are many people on this forum who must have applied for PR as well as GC and now got their GC.
Someone please provide some information..

BECsufferer
10-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Literally, windsor(Canada) and Detroit (USA) are seperated by river, so keeping GC and PR is like riding in two boats ... not possible. While Canadians are liberal in allowing their immigrants to travel daily into US to conduct their jobs ( that brings easy tax $$), it would be inconvienent to track daily movements out of country for GC. Remember at US citizenship, you will be asked to provide detailed log of trvels outside the country. So trip to Windsor is technically outside the country.

I had Canadian PR and am giving it up, because I finally got GC. With GCI can trvel freely into Canada. Plus even before Canadian PR, I never lived in Canada nor do I plan to in future. So why bother.

go_guy123
10-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Can someone on this forum please let me know if i can keep my Canadian PR after my 485 is approved?
I dont think approval is going to come that soon for me (I am in EB3 category PD 09/06).
Reason i have asked the above question is because i have my Canadian PR and i know that i can stay outside canada for 3 yrs out of 5 years to maintain PR.
Incase, 485 does not approve in 3 years, then i have to move to Canada to maintain my PR (no option left).
But incase,485 does gets approved within 3 yrs then i will be in a fix as to whether i should keep PR or GC.
Now if there is an option to keep both, then it is gr8, but what if there is no option. i certainly dont want to loose my Canadian PR as i think in long term Canadian Citizenship is better.

Someone please respond.

Long term US citizenship is far better. No confusion about that.
If you have a GC/US citizenship job opportunities are far far more in US.
I know because I live in Canada and worked on H1B in US and also worked in India.

Well for Canadian citizenship you need to physically stay 3 years in the last 4 years.
Coming back to reality EB3-India with PD of 2006, getting GC in the next 3 years is a pipe dream (really what are you smoking ? I also want to try that) without a piecemeal bill passed for visa recapture etc.

The strategy would be to make move to Canada after 2.5 years or so (unless your spouse is a Canadian citizen).

ivdude
10-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Literally, windsor(Canada) and Detroit (USA) are seperated by river, so keeping GC and PR is like riding in two boats ... not possible. While Canadians are liberal in allowing their immigrants to travel daily into US to conduct their jobs ( that brings easy tax $$), it would be inconvienent to track daily movements out of country for GC. Remember at US citizenship, you will be asked to provide detailed log of trvels outside the country. So trip to Windsor is technically outside the country.

I had Canadian PR and am giving it up, because I finally got GC. With GCI can trvel freely into Canada. Plus even before Canadian PR, I never lived in Canada nor do I plan to in future. So why bother.

Did you hand over PR Cards to canadian govt or nothing has to be done.

go_guy123
10-02-2009, 03:06 PM

You did the right thing. I know a friend of mine who got their GC though they had Canada PR. They made it a point to officially surrender the PR.

Because they wanted no mess-up with the GC. Keeping a Canada PR conflicts with the intent of living in US permanently (needed to maintain GC).

Most people dont realize that GC is not the end of story. GC is yet another type of
immigration status and one can lose that as well. In the post Sep11 round-up a lot of people have lost or went close to losing their GC when US govt did a massive crackdown on immigrants.

Dhundhun
10-02-2009, 03:53 PM
As I understand, technically there are different situations - for example,

1. If some one is married to Canadian Citizen, his/her requirement of presence not needed and can hold lifelong Canadian PR, while remainig in USA on GC or as US Citizen.

2. Similarly, if someone is hired by Canadian Company and sent to USA, his/her requirement for presence is not needed.

American Citizen do get Canadian PR, there are some advantage too, such as medical.

frostrated
10-02-2009, 04:02 PM
the two are separate as they belong to different countries. you can maintain both as long as you fulfill the requirements to keep both of the permits current.