PDA

View Full Version : Hi fellow fighters from Michigan

cagedcactus
11-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Hi friends,
I am from south east Michigan just like everyone else here standing in the never ending line of gruesome and crippled immigration system.
Let us come together and help IV achieve our goals.
It is high time, that we ask for what we deserve. And it wont come unless we stand up for ourselves.
thanks....

sen
11-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Hi
I am also from south east michigan. I don't any see posting in this section, which surprises me. We have to mobilize our friends in this region as Michigan Senator is going to hold a key position in the new congress.

pappu
11-18-2006, 12:50 AM
Hi
I am also from south east michigan. I don't any see posting in this section, which surprises me. We have to mobilize our friends in this region as Michigan Senator is going to hold a key position in the new congress.
Thanks for signing up on this thread for MI chapter. I am surprised too that overall only few members have volunteered. we need to really get more people at local level to help out with IV activities. pls. contact your friends to sign up and spread the word.

breddy2000
11-19-2006, 11:11 PM
Thanks for signing up on this thread for MI chapter. I am surprised too that overall only few members have volunteered. we need to really get more people at local level to help out with IV activities. pls. contact your friends to sign up and spread the word.

I'm from Michigan too. Let me know incase I can be of any help.
Send me PM incase of any urgency.

FinalGC
11-20-2006, 12:52 PM
I am from the heart of MI....Lansing suburbs

Let me know if we need to pool up

pappu
11-20-2006, 02:09 PM
All pls PM each other and exchange phone numbers and emails so that you can start building your local IV community. Once you have contacted each other, you can start the action items for state chapters.

kumar_77
11-20-2006, 08:50 PM
Hi ,

I am from Grand Rapids ......I like to join the group and lets do what ever we could

bye
kumar

kumar_77
11-21-2006, 03:46 PM
Can Some one provide me with a draft about just EB problem which i can fax to the lawmakers

thanks

kumar

269 267 1337
Grand rapids

WillIBLucky
11-22-2006, 09:24 AM
One of our members has written this as below, it looks good.

PLEASE READ AND CHANGE AS REQUIRED.

Hi,

The plight of legal immigants has been lost in all the noise and focus on illegal immigration. There are about 500K legal high-skilled immigrants from around the world who are presently working in the US legally on a temporary work visa issued by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services and in the queue for a permanent resident card also known as Green Card (GC).

There are only 140K GCs given per year for all employment based categories and the employer who sponsors the immigrant has to prove that the job cannot be filled by an American Citizen through a lbour market test. The 140K number is also used to count the spouse and children of the high skilled immigrant. So in essence there are only about 60K high skilled immigrants given a GC each year. Also there is a per country limit of 7%, so only about 5000 GCs are given to high-skilled geal immigrants from each country. This has lead to a huge backlog in GCs especially from countries which send may high-skilled immigrants like China and India. To make matters worse the Congress authorized about 250K illegal aliens a one time waiver to adjust status in the year 2000 and those numbers come out of the regular 140K per year granted to legal high-skilled immigrants.

All this has resulted in a expected wait of "8-12 years" for getting a GC for a "Play-By The Rules" legal high-skilled immigrant. Add another % years after that to get US Citizenship. Seeing these kind of numbers many talented young engineers , scientists and doctors are moving to other countries in droves. No one would like a wait for 15 years to become a naturalized citizen. America is losing a lot due to this Retrogression (Backlog) in GCs, especially when there is a global competition for Talent. The only ones who have patience to stick on is those who have already been in the waiting game for
years and have a lot at stake to leave it at this stage. And for those that chose to wait in this manner life is hell. For 7-10 years they cannot change jobs, cannot get promoted or even change job roles within the same company, cannot get transferred to a different location in same company. Any of these events will mean starting in line all over again. Also their spouses cannot work and they cannot buy homes or make other investment decisions due to the uncertainity, many who have kids in college have to pay higher tution.

I am one of these stuck in this GC hell for the last 9 years, I came to the United States as a student in 1995 to pursue graduate studies in Engineering in a top-ranked university. I have been employed legally in the US since I graduated in 1997 and been pursuing the GC dream for the last 9 years. The end is not in sight and if Congress does not pass any relief I expect the wait to last at least another 5 years.

What does it take for congress to pass some relief? Just some simple relief measures
1. Increase the numbers of GCs to 250K per year temporarily for 2-3 years to alleviate the current problem.
2. Allow to recover unused GC numbers from previous 5 years to be used to alleviate the current retrogression.
3. Do not count spouse and dependents towards the annual number
4. Do not count against the annual cap count certain high-skilled immigrants who have a advanced degree from the US and have worked in a high-skilled job legally in the United states for 3 years .

sen
11-22-2006, 10:53 AM
Also can anyone create a flyer specific to michigan region so that we can put them in temples and indian shops. This will be a good start to mobilize guys around this region.

WillIBLucky
11-22-2006, 02:12 PM
Lets not deligate things to others. What ever you feel will help IV and the problem of retrogression, just go ahead and do it and post a note here so as to encorage others to come with similar ideas.

pappu
11-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Lets not deligate things to others. What ever you feel will help IV and the problem of retrogression, just go ahead and do it and post a note here so as to encorage others to come with similar ideas.
WillIBLucky, Thanks for your initiatives. would you like to collect email ids of all members and organize a confrence call to activate the state chapter? This will start the chapter activities and members can start working together with the action items. Post your name, email and phone on the thread so that all members can contact you.

hsarao
12-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Hello! My husband and I are in Lansing, and became a member today. I read the last post from Sep about some conference or meeting. Is there one scheduled soon? Venue? Date?

sj2273
12-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Greetings

I am in Sterling Heights. Please feel free to contact me at sj2273@yahoo.com if I can be of any assistance.

thanks.

WillIBLucky
12-11-2006, 12:58 PM
I would love to know how many people are here in michigan who are members.

pappu
12-11-2006, 01:40 PM
At this time we do not have any one assigned member by IV to lead the chapter. However in the interest of getting things started I request the chapter members to organize a confrence call. If 'williblucky' would like to set it up and send messags to everyone, pls go ahead. If there is anyone else willing to volunteer to set up a call for a weekend pls go ahead. Make sure you send PM's to each member on this thread and inform them about the time for the call. It is important that we have the state chapter active.

pappu
12-20-2006, 01:04 PM
No response yet from WillIBLucky. Does any other member want to organize the call for this chapter? pls. go ahead. Members need to take active role in the state chapter and keep it alive. It is easy to give ideas and question others but is difficult to actually work for something. I urge chapter members to communicate with each other and organize a call.

vgayalu
01-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Hi,
I am from Ann arbor- It is 40 miles away from Detroit.
If there is any chance to meet all of us at some place we can meet.
Let me know any actvities we need to do like Meeting Senate or House Representatives.
I can participate .

narendrapv@yahoo.com

pappu
01-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Hi,
I am from Ann arbor- It is 40 miles away from Detroit.
If there is any chance to meet all of us at some place we can meet.
Let me know any actvities we need to do like Meeting Senate or House Representatives.
I can participate .

narendrapv@yahoo.com
Thanks. pls contact others in this thread to organize some activity. this state chapter has been dormant for lack of someone to take active role. Thanks for answering my call for help on other thread and volunteering here. Some people just post messages saying nothing is happening and some go ahead and take charge. Pls take the initiative to make the chapter alive. You can also get in touch with members from nearby states if needed to get information and learn form them. You can contact MN chapter too. They are actively working on action items.

amitga
01-28-2007, 11:44 AM
I think Michigan chapter is totally inactive. we need to get organized. I am willing to take the responsibility of organizing the Michigan chapter. Please send me PM/email (amitga@yahoo.com) with your details.
1) e-mail id
2) phone number (Optional)
3) Employer (optional)

The main agenda will be
1. How to increase awareness about IV and increase its member base/funding?
2. How to meet all Congressmen and their Immigration staff?
3. Get more and more people from Big Employers (Specially big 3)

I live in Troy MI (20 miles from Detroit). So all the people from Detroit Metro area can meet somewhere in Detroit.

Amit

asharda
02-04-2007, 01:43 AM
Hi all,

I am from Grand Rapids. I'd like to help.

I think, It would be a good idea to get an approximate count of legal immigrants who are stuck in the GC process in Michigan. We should use these numbers to write to our Senator and make them feel that the State of Michigan is not about americans only, its about us as well.

What are you thoughts? Amit, do you want me to email you on your email address?

thanks

Akhilesh.

psgprasad
03-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Dear folks,

I am from lansing MI. I have volunteered to meet the law makers for the STRIVE bill.
I would certainly appreciate, if more of us can join this effort.
if you would like to join or have already volunteered for the state of MI. Please email me with your name and contact details at

psgprasad@gmail.com.

Thanks
Gajendra Prasad PS

kumar_77
03-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Hello Friends ,

I am kamal from grand rapids

my email id : anand_k77@yahoo.com
contact no : 269-267-1337

thanks

Kamal

FinalGC
03-26-2007, 01:07 PM
Guys:

It appears we did not get to have a leader for this chapter. Since I am in lansing Michigan, the heart of where all the lawmakers are in MI. I will be happy to coordinate any IV activity.

I have just sent some of you an email to contact me, so that we can plan to meet the lawmakers next week. Please send me your name, email add and phone number. Please send a PM or email.

Thanks

breddy2000
03-26-2007, 01:12 PM
Guys:

It appears we did not get to have a leader for this chapter. Since I am in lansing Michigan, the heart of where all the lawmakers are in MI. I will be happy to coordinate any IV activity.

I have just sent some of you an email to contact me, so that we can plan to meet the lawmakers next week. Please send me your name, email add and phone number. Please send a PM or email.

Thanks

Thanks for taking this initiative.
Sent you PM with my details.

Thanks

psgprasad
03-28-2007, 03:08 PM
Dear Michigan Members,

This mail is to update you guys on the outcome of meeting with Staff Assistant of Senator Carl Levin (Michigan) and members of Immigration voice namely
Gajendra Prasad
Stanley Samuel
Manoj kumar

We emphasized the following points
1. We are not talking about H1 increase.
2. Reverse Brain drain impacts.
3. Outsourcing economies gaining edge because of Americas poor legal immigration policies.
4. Delays in normal processing.
5. Impact of Backlogs on America competitiveness.
6. Impact of Backlogs on immigrations careers and their contribution to the industry.
7. Details of Presidents State of union Address for legal immigrants.
8. Statistical details which have shown immigration does not affect Americas growth but helps growth of America.
9. Requests of immigration voice.

We quoted our personal life experience and the hindrances we encounter in our career growth.

I have to say the points were observered with a positive note. and the staff said that these will be conveyed to the Senator.

He also suggested, to contact the media, which we are doing and also told,
he was also aware of immigration voice and its good doings.

He also told the Senator voted in favour of CIR 2006.

He suggested having a direct meeting with Senator would definetly help, as it would have a better impact, but he said that it would be easy to get an appointment of the Senator in DC. At this point, we have requested the immigration voice DC members whether they can have an meeting with the Senator and we can arrange the same with this staff member.
He also requested, if any of our member are meeting with the same Senator office staff in different location(Detroit, Grand Rapids,Escabana etc), please refer this staff name for continuity reasons.
Andy Hickner-Staff Assistant of Senator Carl Levin (Michigan) -Lansing office and this meeting.
I will be sending a Thank you letter soon to this Staff.

We are waiting on Appointment from the following office as we have already faxed the request for appointments, after our initial telephonic request.
1. Senator Debie Stabenow - Michigan.
2. Congress Man Mike Rogers - Michigan 8th District.
3. Congress Man Tim Walberg - Michigan 7th District.

Actions Items.
1. Update Michigan members on the meeting and Request them to refer to our discussion, if they meet the same senators office staff in any other offices.
2. Contact Michigan Public Radio for an interview on our issue.
3. Contact Lansing State Journal for an article on our issue.
4. Follow up on other Law makers.

Thanks
Gajendra Prasad Sankaranarayana

sen
03-29-2007, 05:51 PM
I am from Canton, MI and i'd like to get involved in this. Please let me know, if anybody is planning to meet the Senators or House members, so that we can get organized and present our case. I can also pull in couple of my friends who will be interested in this initiative.

IV2007
05-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Guys, I am from Farmington hills, region.

I am in the close proximity for Detroit meet.
Let's all pull together in the efforts.

I can organize to meet up any senator or house reps and present our case .

Here are my details.

shree.rk@gmail.com
313-212-3560

Also mailed Amit, Prasad & Anand.

-Shree

chintu25
07-09-2007, 04:13 PM
:D I have printed out some Immigration Voice Fliers and will Post them in Some Temples and Indian Stores in and around Plymoth/canton/westland areas

chintu25
07-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Shree,
I am with you keep mne posted I can volunteer with any help required for the same I am from Canton Cell 405-627-8217
Thanks