PDA

View Full Version : Work on CPT

Dipzo
05-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Hi,

I got a dream job offer and I have not yet applied for OPT. I have not graduated from school and that's why I applied for CPT.
I just want to know can I work on CPT till my OPT arrives? Also would it be of concern to my employer that I am working on CPT as long as I am eligible to work legally full time? Is that something I should intimate my employer about before joining?
I would appreciate if someone can reply really soon.

Thanks a lot.

rahul2699
05-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Hi,

I got a dream job offer and I have not yet applied for OPT. I have not graduated from school and that's why I applied for CPT.
I just want to know can I work on CPT till my OPT arrives? Also would it be of concern to my employer that I am working on CPT as long as I am eligible to work legally full time? Is that something I should intimate my employer about before joining?
I would appreciate if someone can reply really soon.

Thanks a lot.

You should not have any problem working on CPT as long as the job is related to your field of study. Your employer will know this by looking at your CPT card since it has an expiration date. Be aware that when you apply for OPT you have to get your OPT effective date as CPT expiration date if you want to continue working.

Dipzo
05-20-2011, 12:01 PM
Thank you Rahul..
I really appreciate it.. Just one more clarification.
My employer didn't asked me anything during the interview (about CPT/OPT). Since I have to join in a week, should I inform them beforehand?

Thanks

smuggymba
05-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Thank you Rahul..
I really appreciate it.. Just one more clarification.
My employer didn't asked me anything during the interview (about CPT/OPT). Since I have to join in a week, should I inform them beforehand?

Thanks

The HR should ask you for the authorization before joining or when you do the HR paperwork. They might be assuming you're a US Citizen.